Good morning

In new Daily notes there are 3 Template options:—Agenda, To-do list, or Journal. I am using Agenda at the moment .

Can you advise how I can change to the other two template options .The new release mentioned "preferences", but I cannot find anything 

under this heading .

Thank you in advance 

• Evernote Expert

You don't say which OS you are using.

In Android go to Settings and then Daily Note.

In Windows Desktop... Tools, Settings, Preferences, Daily Note

• Like 1

Thanks Fellas

On my app in Windows 10, Tools>settings>preferences there is No "daily note".However on Evernote web I have just found:

Highlight Account name>settings>preferences and then there Is a "daily Note" heading with the three options.

Thanks again.Proper job.

• Evernote Expert
3 minutes ago, Freezefoot said:

On my app in Windows 10, Tools>settings>preferences there is No "daily note".

Be sure you have the latest version of the application.  It should be 10.98.3-win-ddl-public. Check in Help, About Evernote. If you have 10.98.3 then try File Sign Out and back in. Choosing 'Remove my Evernote data from this device'. When you sign back in your data will be rebuilt from the cloud and, you should discover the Daily Note option.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

On iOS after getting 10.98, I needed to log out and in again. Then it showed.

Tried that with my Android tablet - latest version available is still 10.97 for me.  

34 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Perhaps Daily Notes is a server side thing.

Probably is. I got it today. A message popped up, when opening (not updating) EN this morning.

9 minutes ago, MystifyWayne said:

Why has this been enabled by default? I don't want it. 

Simply disable it in Settings. I think they enabled it by default to grant that every user will see it 😉
I everyone see it, many questions will come up: i.e. mine are:

• Where is the hotkey to jump to open this daily note in a new window?
  • How can I change the template? (current suggestions should be much simpler...)
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

Perhaps Daily Notes is a server side thing.

I hope so - because it's the only unique place to grant to create only one note per day.
But for the moment this seems to be not the case: I've got two notes for yesterday and two notes for today (whilst using at least 2 devices in parallel...) 🤔

3 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

I hope so - because it's the only unique place to grant to create only one note per day.
But for the moment this seems to be not the case: I've got two notes for yesterday and two notes for today (whilst using at least 2 devices in parallel...) 🤔

The note is created by the device when the device is opened and if you open two pretty close together you may get two notes. Happened to me a few times. 

They're looking for a fix for it. 

16 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

The note is created by the device when the device is opened

Oh-no. Seems like the feature is developed by beginners that do not know about the principles of a server-driver application like EN 😏

18 minutes ago, MystifyWayne said:

Oh I know it can be disabled, but it should have been something to switch on, not forced on everyone. 

You do have to switch it on. A giant popup asks you what template you want to use. 

14 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Oh-no. Seems like the feature is developed by beginners that do not know about the principles of a server-driver application like EN 😏

I was surprised it was device driven but then of it was server offline folk would have no note. 

13 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

server offline folk would have no note

OK. Good point - means that the fact of have having more that one Daily note is another fail of sync processes...
Why do they implemtent such new things before having solved current problems?

11 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

OK. Good point - means that the fact of have having more that one Daily note is another fail of sync processes...
Why do they implemtent such new things before having solved current problems?

It doesn't happen too often for me and I open windows and web at the same time, maybe once or twice a week. There is something to stop this happening but under certain conditions it doesn't work. The dev told me it's being worked on but much more complicated than it sounds. 

OK, hope he'll fix it soon. Because your setup ...

... right now is to have Evernote web open on my right-hand monitor in a split tiled screen using Vivaldi web browser.
The tasks page and daily note page are open all the time.

seems very interessing. I didn't succeed to find such a screen configuration with Edge. So I'm looking for a possibility to pop up a new window with the one and only Daily note from without EN-Win-App 😉

And: 063 - Task list display like Note list also would help a lot 🙏

2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Because your setup

Yeah, I've just realised that I'm probably opening 3 Evernote instances at the same time. Win app, Tasks on web in the left tile and daily note in in the right tile.

In the expert forum one of the others has their iPad open and EN Mac open on the monitor and is also getting two notes created every now and then. We both spoke to the dev and she said they'll be working on a fix.

Re 063... I've mentioned about having the task view open in a new window. Not sure if that would help.

2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

I didn't succeed to find such a screen configuration with Edge

I think(?) Edge does tiled pages, I remember it was being looked at... not used it in a while. Vivaldi is a bit of a productivity hub for me. It even has built in email which I want to try out one day! Made by the folk who made original Opera.

Just found a screen I did a couple of weeks ago that shows the daily note in a browser tile... tasks on the left.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F5f64c0c7-2419-401a-8267-534797cfea16_723x688.png

• Like 1

How can one create their own template for this new “daily note” feature? None of the 3 default / included / templates have what I would want to use.

15 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Vivaldi is a bit of a productivity hub for me.

My favorite productivity hub is Evernote. I do not want to configure other systems around.

• Tasks are a big step in this direction.
  • Calendar with bi-directional connection to Outlook and drag&drop of Tasks will be the next big(ger) step
  • Daily notes might make paper superfluous.
  • Like 1

I am using the web version since Bending Spoons killed the Linux App.  I don't get the Daily Journal template.  I have the notebook, but when I select a new note, there is no template.  I got it once, but now when I click the new note, just a generic note comes up.  How do I get the template with the AM, Goals, Feelings, etc in the Daily notebook?

3 hours ago, Dgronos said:

I am using the web version since Bending Spoons killed the Linux App.  I don't get the Daily Journal template.  I have the notebook, but when I select a new note, there is no template.  I got it once, but now when I click the new note, just a generic note comes up.  How do I get the template with the AM, Goals, Feelings, etc in the Daily notebook?

Have a look in settings and there are options to select a template and switch it off.

You don't need to create the note yourself. Every time you open the app a new note will automatically be created. 

THanks for replying Pink Elephant. I know how to create a template. I was asking how I could get my own template as an option for the automatically generated Daily Note which currently seems limited to three templates.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see a Daily Note notebook.  Yesterday I went in to my settings and selected Daily Note 'on'. I signed out of my account and back in but still don't see the new notebook/note on my home page.  I'm using a Windows computer running the program from the desktop, not the web version.

Ok, the only step I didn't do was to close the desktop app...so, I did all those steps you suggested and logged back in.  I don't see the new notebook.  Will I have to wait till tomorrow to see it now?

4 hours ago, karmalg said:

don't see a Daily Note notebook. 

@karmalg, You said you don't see the daily note on your home page. Did you look for the Daily Notes notebook in the notebook view?

Vinnie

I did .. Noth

Nothing was there, until I just now looked! 😳 Suddenly I see the notebook, but it has zero notes in it so I'm guessing I'll need to wait until tomorrow to see one generated?

8 minutes ago, karmalg said:

Suddenly I see the notebook, but it has zero notes in it so I'm guessing I'll need to wait until tomorrow to see one generated?

Yup. They get generated by opening the app so if you don't open any of the apps one day you don't get a note for that day.

My general inclination is to try out a new feature, especially when it is popped up upon installation. I'll resist that inclination next time. Wow. What a hassle to disable the Daily Note/Journal thing. I couldn't do it on my desktop app. I couldn't do it on my newly installed Android app. Finally, I could do it on the web version. Whew.

On 7/27/2024 at 1:58 PM, Jon/t said:

The note is created by the device when the device is opened and if you open two pretty close together you may get two notes. Happened to me a few times. 

They're looking for a fix for it. 

I do wonder who is actually looking....

I wanted to share some thoughts after patiently waiting for a few updates:

**Daily Notes:** As someone who relies heavily on daily notes for journaling, I was really looking forward to this feature. Now that it’s here, I’m encountering a bit of a hiccup—it's generating two notes each day, and the options are limited to just three templates. It’s not quite what I hoped for.

**Event Creation in Google Calendar:** I was excited about the ability to create events directly in Google Calendar from EN, but I've run into an issue where the event disappears after just a second. Unfortunately, this makes the feature pretty much unusable for me.

**Transcription:** I’ve also noticed that transcription is still having trouble, particularly with spoken English being transcribed as Welsh. Even when I tested it with a BBC newsreader, it happened intermittently, making the transcription feature unreliable.

I really wish someone from the EN team could take a closer look at these issues. It feels like there’s a pattern here that needs addressing. EN is such a crucial part of my online life, and I see so much potential in it. However, I think it would benefit everyone if the focus was on fixing and refining the existing features before rolling out new ones.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, AKARJLUK said:

I really wish someone from the EN team could take a closer look at these issues.

Hi.  @Jon/t is an 'Evernote Expert' so has a closer connection than most - if he says they're looking,  then I'd tend to believe him.  You can contact Evernote yourself - see feedback@evernote.com or https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us which is peppered with links to Support. 

All your concerns seem to be with new features,  which are still under development - so I'd expect there to be gradual improvements.  Annoyingly I actually live in Wales where transcriptions in that language might be useful - but all I get is old,  boring English!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  @Jon/t is an 'Evernote Expert' so has a closer connection than most - if he says they're looking,  then I'd tend to believe him.  You can contact Evernote yourself - see feedback@evernote.com or https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us which is peppered with links to Support. 

All your concerns seem to be with new features,  which are still under development - so I'd expect there to be gradual improvements.  Annoyingly I actually live in Wales where transcriptions in that language might be useful - but all I get is old,  boring English!

I totally understand where you're coming from. I’ve already submitted a few support tickets about these issues, but the responses I’ve received have mostly been the usual requests to jump through hoops, like sending over activity files.

I think it would be better if features that are still under development weren’t included in updates. When I get an update from EN with a message like "Create Events in Google Calendar from within EN," I naturally assume it’s been fully tested. Unfortunately, it seems that hasn’t always been the case lately.

I’ve been a dedicated EN user since 2011 (except for a brief break during the previous management era), but I’ve noticed that a lot of these new features just aren’t working as expected. I really believe they should be held back until they’re functioning properly.

2 hours ago, AKARJLUK said:

I totally understand where you're coming from. I’ve already submitted a few support tickets about these issues, but the responses I’ve received have mostly been the usual requests to jump through hoops, like sending over activity files.

Send activity files and the time it transcribed it to Welsh, this will be helpful for them to see the logs. They have noted it but without anyone who can reproduce it or give logs its difficult to analyse. It doesn't seem to be widespread. I've had 3 people contact me with the issue. I can't reproduce it and I live 6 miles from Wales! Tried over and over again. I've even tried speaking a bit of bad Welsh and then English in one sentence and it transcribes into the respective languages.

Download the latest logs as soon as it happens again, send them in and let me know the ticket number and I can update my report with it.

The Daily notes duplicate issue is if two devices are active very close to each other. I have it happen every now and then and they are working on it. One solution I would think is have the server create the note but that would mean if you're offline you wouldn't get a note created. The RENT update may help a little as this will speed up sync of stuff that isn't in the editor.

• Like 1

EN daily note without any option to customize template is useless for my workflow, especially if you compare it to flexible template-based daily note (like in Joplin or Obsidian) - EN's daily note may be step in right direction but currently not for me

Hi everybody, I am new to the forum and not sure if this thread is the right place to post my question - my apologies if it isn't.

Here is my problem: I want to use the new daily notes feature and made sure it is turned on (checked settings in both the IOS and the Windows desktop app), but it isn't working. This might be due to my own dithering/attempted problem solving. After I had first activated the feature in the IOS app, Evernote did create a Daily Notes notebook, but kept creating the daily notes in my default notebook. I found this both annoying and unpractical since my default notebook serves a specific function and I don't want it to be spammed with journaling notes. I also don't see why Evernote would create a designated notebook for daily notes and then go and create them in a completely different notebook, requiring me to move them to the place they should have been to begin with. It doesn't make sense. I could have tried making the Daily Notes notebook my default, but that wouldn't be practical and wasn't mentioned as a requirement in the rollout. So I assumed there had been a hiccup with the app and I tried troubleshooting: I couldn't find any info on the issue or helpful options in the settings so I deleted the daily notes and the Daily Notes notebook, deactivated the feature, logged out, logged in again and re-activated it. Nothing happened. I went on doing the same thing in the desktop app and web version of Evernote. I have deleted the app, restarted my devices etc. - still nothing. I thought about waiting another day since Evernote had already created a daily note for today before I deleted it. Maybe it will create one tomorrow, on a new calendar day? I doubt it though, since when I first activated the daily notes feature Evernote immediately created a designated folder and there still isn't one after my attempted troubleshooting. I was really looking forward to using daily notes in my morning and evening routine and would be grateful for advice on what else to do to try and fix this.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, SV2020 said:

grateful for advice on what else to do to try and fix this.

Given the number of changes made,  I'd suggest a 'clean reinstall on Windows and a force quit / power off and back on / reinstall on iOS.

Sign out of the account / don't save data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power device off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild local data.   New installs are typically a little slow - things get better after a day or so.

• Like 1

When you forcibly opt-in every person on Evernote to a new feature like this you accomplish at least two things--

1) You instantly generate great stats that you can show your boss. ("Look, Chief! That new Daily Notes idea I had is top of the usage charts!")

2) You annoy a ton of paying Evernote followers and cause them to pay a little more attention to all the clickbait they're seeing about whether Evernote is the best note-taking app.

Congrats.  

Edited by Edgar F
typo
21 hours ago, gazumped said:

Sign out of the account / don't save data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app. 

Thank you for the advice. I already tried deleting and reinstalling on both IOS and Windows, but I am not sure if local data was deleted (on Windows). I will try using the cleaner app and reinstalling again as soon as I find the time and report back on whether it solves the issue.

• Like 1