Clipping screen selections (not web content) direct to Evernote.

One of the most useful functions for me in Legacy has been the clipper.  Not the web clipper, which is useful and remains, but the clipper that could select any screen area in any window and would instantly put that clip into Evernote as a note, or, if control was held, into the clipboard, or if shift was held, into a file on the desktop.

I used that feature multiple times a day and have not found anything that comes close to replacing that one-step convenience in the current versions.

Is there any way to duplicate that simple two-step function without going through multiple steps?

• allendick changed the title to Clipping screen selections (not web content) direct to Evernote.
  • Level 5*

On my Win 11 keyboard Win+Shift+S gives me screenshot options which can be posted into a note.  Or for partial content Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V will copy and paste selected text.

Alt+Ctrl+N is the global command for 'new note'

So Win+Shift+S - Alt+Ctrl+N - Ctrl V is as close as you can get.  It should be possible to shorten  the sequence in AHK or Phrase Express. 

(There was a process at one stage to save a clip directly as a note using Win+Shift+S but that doesn't seem to work in my latest version)

And to elaborate a tiny bit on  @gazumped's comment, on my Win 11 system the Win+Shift+S command puts the clipped area into the clipboard all by itself.  So it's very easy to paste the info where it's needed.  Not quite the same thing, but a function that I use multiple times a day myself, and I find myself not missing the function built into Evernote that Win 11 has hijacked -- at least not enough to spend many of my own brain's CPU cycles worrying about it.   Of course, other may differ.

Vinnie

• Like 1

Thanks.

All this requires complex keyboard moves and is a bother for those of us who prefer to slouch rather than sit erect in typing position and to use the mouse and voice as much as possible.

I guess it is what it is, though. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I made the Windows directory that captures screen clips into an import folder. So, for me, Win+Shift+S creates a new note containing the clipped areas.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

I made the Windows directory that captures screen clips into an import folder. So, for me, Win+Shift+S creates a new note containing the clipped areas.

That's a good idea. Going to try that tomorrow. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Or get a Mac … 🙃

I know this is in jest, but AFAIK I don't see the Mac behavior getting me any closer to what @allendick describes.

5 hours ago, allendick said:

the clipper that could select any screen area in any window and would instantly put that clip into Evernote as a note, or, if control was held, into the clipboard, or if shift was held, into a file on the desktop

It is this specific behaviour that I miss in V10.

• Like 2

I assume that after Win Shift S, that one must save the clip into that directory?

> Alt+Ctrl+N is the global command for 'new note'

That only works with Evernote in the frergound, for me, anyhow.

• Like 1
hace 7 horas, gazumped dijo:

On my Win 11 keyboard Win+Shift+S gives me screenshot options which can be posted into a note.  Or for partial content Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V will copy and paste selected text.

Alt+Ctrl+N is the global command for 'new note'

So Win+Shift+S - Alt+Ctrl+N - Ctrl V is as close as you can get.  It should be possible to shorten  the sequence in AHK or Phrase Express. 

(There was a process at one stage to save a clip directly as a note using Win+Shift+S but that doesn't seem to work in my latest version)

how about for Mac Desktop? any key combination equivalent to the old "control + command + C" screenshot shortcut, or a way around the multiple steps described above? 

Thanks