Bullets are killing my browser

I have a huge bulleted list with 1500 entries that stalls the browser. This was never an issue before. In any event, what do you suggest for long lists?

• Level 5

What version are you on? V. 10.83.4 claims it has "Fixed a performance issue when typing in large notes," specifically this one. Others report improvement, but not full fluidity. Browser Evernote clients are usually the first to update, but if you haven't gotten it yet, you could try refreshing the page and it should update. If you have the current version and it's still stalling, you probably need to report it to support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• Like 1

I just started typing 10.83.5... The version numbers raise way too fast. It's a signal of Bending Spoons desiring CI/CD, but not being able to. They should slow down A LITTLE, and introduce channels to subscribe to "rock solid stable", "mostly stable new features", "brand new ***** to try out". I am so dependent on Evernote, I would subscribe to rock solid and always be 3 months behind on new features. For me it is a professional tool my whole business I own and my private life depends on. I NEED Evernote for my personal handicaps, and for my real-time desires in business with the 7 meetings I have every day.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What version are you on? V. 10.83.4 claims it has "Fixed a performance issue when typing in large notes," specifically this one. Others report improvement, but not full fluidity. Browser Evernote clients are usually the first to update, but if you haven't gotten it yet, you could try refreshing the page and it should update. If you have the current version and it's still stalling, you probably need to report it to support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

I have the latest version because it automatically updates (Actually, I'd prefer to NOT have automatic updates, because so far, none of the fixes or other features solve ones like this). I'm okay with removing formatting if that's what it takes, but I prefer to use bullets or numbering as I have. Firefox (my browser preference) may be the issue, and that automatically updates as well.

5 minutes ago, chilee said:

I have the latest version because it automatically updates (Actually, I'd prefer to NOT have automatic updates, because so far, none of the fixes or other features solve ones like this). I'm okay with removing formatting if that's what it takes, but I prefer to use bullets or numbering as I have. Firefox (my browser preference) may be the issue, and that automatically updates as well.

Automatic updates does NOT mean the latest version. Please mention your real version number. I've seen Evernote introduce 3 versions on one day (!). And the download page of Evernote many times has newer versions than auto-updates offers. 🙂

Nope, @chilee, you likely don't have the latest - the automatic updates are always behind.  Check version number: Help/about.  You will likely see it's not 10.83.5.  Usually I just wait for the auto updater myself.  But if I were having an issue like the lag with larger notes (I'm not, fortunately...) I would go to Evernote.com and download the latest version, to see if Evernote has managed to fix the bug.

So, I'd suggest downloading the current version and see what happens.

Vinnie

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MvdH said:

I just started typing 10.83.5... The version numbers raise way too fast. It's a signal of Bending Spoons desiring CI/CD, but not being able to. They should slow down A LITTLE, and introduce channels to subscribe to "rock solid stable", "mostly stable new features", "brand new ***** to try out". I am so dependent on Evernote, I would subscribe to rock solid and always be 3 months behind on new features. For me it is a professional tool my whole business I own and my private life depends on. I NEED Evernote for my personal handicaps, and for my real-time desires in business with the 7 meetings I have every day.

Exactly. New features are nice, but some of us are actually using EN to do our jobs, and would prefer not to be guinea pigs. And if we're gonna be guinea pigs, we at least deserve some help through the maze -- but no, no support whatsoever. And a price increase.

It's a horrible way to do business. I would love nothing more than to switch to a more stable and supported product, but over a decade using EN has made it an inextricable part of my daily routine. Unfortunately that routine now takes much longer each day due to dropped features and general sluggishness, but the time it would take me to switch over to a different app precludes me from doing so. 

There are some users who want folks like us to just shut up and live with v10. I have no choice but to live with v10, but I'm not gonna shut up about how much it sucks for me, because I have to vent my frustration somewhere, and smashing my laptop to bits is not a viable option.

• Thanks 2

Venting frustrations feels good on the short term. It doesn't help you on the long term, however. Kick a tree helps also for that, or I complain to one of my cats, that works. Works as effectively as venting here. HOWEVER, describing your problems concretely DOES help more than venting. It has a chance of influencing developers, the PO that does read these forums (Right @Federico Simionato you don't fool me, you are too much in sync in your posts with what is going on here, now that you are reading this anyway, PLEASE reintroduce sorting on tags column in note views, like legacy had - end of me hijacking this thread for my personal off-topic desires) and getting people to work FOR you and WITH you.. Leave those emotions in the gym/bed/church, that helps. 😄 though I understand you @kkarney.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, MvdH said:

Venting frustrations feels good on the short term. It doesn't help you on the long term, however. Kick a tree helps also for that, or I complain to one of my cats, that works. Works as effectively as venting here. HOWEVER, describing your problems concretely DOES help more than venting. It has a chance of influencing developers, the PO that does read these forums (Right @Federico Simionato you don't fool me, you are too much in sync in your posts with what is going on here, now that you are reading this anyway, PLEASE reintroduce sorting on tags column in note views, like legacy had - end of me hijacking this thread for my personal off-topic desires) and getting people to work FOR you and WITH you.. Leave those emotions in the gym/bed/church, that helps. 😄 though I understand you @kkarney.

Yeah, tag sorting was the first thing I missed in v10. Now i just rely on a saved search which syncs every 15 minutes or so. Incredibly annoying.

I've tried explaining all this to my cats, but they just don't give a s**t, tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, VincentC said:

Nope, @chilee, you likely don't have the latest - the automatic updates are always behind.  Check version number: Help/about.  You will likely see it's not 10.83.5.  Usually I just wait for the auto updater myself.  But if I were having an issue like the lag with larger notes (I'm not, fortunately...) I would go to Evernote.com and download the latest version, to see if Evernote has managed to fix the bug.

So, I'd suggest downloading the current version and see what happens.

Vinnie

I have 10.83.4. But most of the time I'm using the web version. What does the install have to do with the web version?

• Level 5

Usually it is basically the same software. The web client updates by itself, you can’t force it. It may be you are 1 release behind in the web compared to the latest installed release from the website. This usually corrects itself within 24hrs.

18 horas atrás, MvdH disse:

I just started typing 10.83.5... The version numbers raise way too fast. It's a signal of Bending Spoons desiring CI/CD, but not being able to. 

I'm noticing this too and it's been a while. They are releasing several versions every few hours. This last time they released 10.83.3, 10.83.4 and finally 10.83.5 almost together.

18 horas atrás, MvdH disse:

I am so dependent on Evernote, I would subscribe to rock solid and always be 3 months behind on new features. For me it is a professional tool my whole business I own and my private life depends on. I NEED Evernote for my personal handicaps, and for my real-time desires in business with the 7 meetings I have every day.

I don't know your life or your needs so I'm sorry if I say something wrong, but I don't think it's a good idea to be so dependent on a program that you have no control over (the end of legacy was proof of that). Do you really have no other options besides Evernote? If Evernote ended tomorrow what would you do?

• Like 1
18 horas atrás, kkarney disse:

It's a horrible way to do business. I would love nothing more than to switch to a more stable and supported product, but over a decade using EN has made it an inextricable part of my daily routine. Unfortunately that routine now takes much longer each day due to dropped features and general sluggishness, but the time it would take me to switch over to a different app precludes me from doing so. 

There are some users who want folks like us to just shut up and live with v10. I have no choice but to live with v10, but I'm not gonna shut up about how much it sucks for me, because I have to vent my frustration somewhere, and smashing my laptop to bits is not a viable option.

If you are having so many problems with v10 then wouldn't it really be better to look for another application? Would it be that difficult to switch to another option? You talk as if you are forced to use Evernote and have no choice but I think that is an exaggeration. We all have a choice.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Cristiano478 said:

If you are having so many problems with v10 then wouldn't it really be better to look for another application? Would it be that difficult to switch to another option? You talk as if you are forced to use Evernote and have no choice but I think that is an exaggeration. We all have a choice.

Yes, it would be that difficult.. It would be a LOT of work. Believe me, I explored the possibilities. The structure of my workday depends entirely on EN (I need all the structural help I can get). At this point, the time/effort it would take to switch is less palatable than living w/ v10. On the upside, it may force me into early retirement.