V10: Total Disaster or just a little worse!

I think everyone agrees that v10 is worse than legacy. The question is how much worse it is. Many here think that version 10 is so bad that it's not worth it. I'm from the group that thinks it's not that bad so much so that I keep paying and use Evernote normally. V10 has a lot of bugs but it's still the best note taking program I know so I keep using it. I hope that BS can increasingly improve the current version, knowing that it will never be the same as the legacy.

Correction: Most of us agree that v10 is worse than legacy....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

Well, I don't agree that v10 is worse than Legacy.  But I would concede that they are different. I can do everything I need and more with v10.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

The question is how much worse it is.

Yep - but this is a personal opinion and depends on user needs. New, occasional users and those who might use new "all-in-one" features like calendar, tasks and life-links to Youtube will like it. Professional with well-defined workflows that depend on quick responses, well formatted note lists, API extensions (and therefore relyable syncs) have ongoing problems.

I count myself to the professionals - and feel somewhat disappointed from EN's conduct of handling this group of users. I really hope that they will find ways to improve

• note list functionality (sort by Reminder times, show and sort Reminder done times)
  • space requirements (around note lists, tables and images)
  • UI inconveniences (note lists hidden, by notes, favorites horitzontally above all, silly dialogs to change reminder and other dates, ...)
  • "user friedly" time format (I would prefer a fix format in all cases like "dd.mm.yy hh:mm")
  • and (last but not least) an option to work offline until I press a Sync button 😉

I do not cry for speed and lower prices. And I appreciate some of the new ideas like Backlinks, Life Links and the very new Files view. 👍

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Well, I don't agree that v10 is worse than Legacy.  But I would concede that they are different. I can do everything I need and more with v10.

You would concede that it is different? Amazing.

• Level 5*

I'm in the "it's a different app" camp as well, and whether it is viewed as worse or better is very dependent on how you use it.  I would not say it depends on whether you are a new or occasional user vs professional.  That belittles a lot of us long-time and new professional users who find it works fine for us, and we like many of the changes over Legacy.  That is not denying there are bugs, old and newly introduced that need attention, but for the most part, personally, I get along fine, though improvement is always welcome.  

I think the difference is that those with highly customized workflows built on Legacy and, or who want the utmost speed will be disappointed with the current state of V10.  Some will get used to the differences in V10, and others never will. Evernote should continue improving speed, reducing user friction, and adding some customization that many found useful in Legacy.  Those who can't get past the differences can either work constructively here to help improve the app or maybe consider moving to one that works better for their use case.

This wasn't directed at any particular post.  These are just some general comments that I had.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

For me legacy was NOT superior, in most respects.

The worst was every year when the date came closer that MacOS would update. Most apps delivered „update proof“ version well in advance.

EN legacy … no, no, neither the next week, just nothing. No update, no communication. This was when the app got 2, max 3 updates in a year.

They made it one year to deliver just a few days before MacOS. Another year they were caught with their pants down - Apple released Safari 6 weeks earlier, with the yearly iOS update. Web Clipper stopped working, web client went seriously handicapped.

This was due to the severe problems EN had with app maintenance - it was a last minute job just to keep things up and running, not fancy new stuff (there was no new stuff, for years).

Already forgotten ?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

First Windows updates are a pain 🥴, Mac updates a joy 🤩 .

Opposite to Windows the Mac is loaded with a ton of useful free apps. They update as well, and of course you want to get the new functionality.

Then Apple took the step in these years to stop supporting 32bit apps. This is why EN Windows legacy is still v6, and 32bit. Mac legacy is v7, and modern 64bit code.

EN had to release this next generation client, or loose the Mac users. 

Obviously Windows users are trained to that sort of negligence - because even on the latest Win11 platforms, 32bit apps 20 years old and not maintained any more will still run. Oooops, how did the ransomware make it into our network ... 😵‍💫

This is an interesting thread, but these are testimonials for the better part. 
I was a legacy enthusiast and used it till the very last day, because I could do things with it, that V10 cannot do. It does other things, that I acknowledge, but to me those are not essential contributors to my productivity. 
All of those can be argued back and forth. But what cannot: the incredible number of bugs V10 has. 
I am trying to lower my expectations towards V10. Could I live with the new workarounds, UI inconsistencies etc.? Perhaps, I am getting used to them. 
Can I live with the truly numerous outright bugs? Currently, I can’t and I am suffering. And I am unsure why I should struggle at these subscription prices. 

YMMV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I jumped over to EN10 as soon as it got released, and since then it has been both joy (new useful features) and a lot of suffering (bugs, bugs and more bugs).

My main reason, or actually only reason, to still keep using Evernote is "tasks" - the unique way tasks are inside the notes, as it fits my workflow very well.

But an increasing number of bugs, non-existing support and that terrible new UI is turning Evernote from a productivity tool to an anti-productivity tool, so I really need to find some kind of [other?] solution very very soon. 

Evernote still has great potential, but I can't figure out what's really happening at Evernote / Bending Spoons. They tell a story about serious product development and quality, but all their actions show the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My main reason to still keep using Evernote is my huge note repository - Well maintained with crreation dates, titles, attachment names, commenting images, tags, ...

All tries to move that -together with my workflow- to an other environment failed so far. So I've to continue with EN. But I'm optimistic that  they will fix my complaints in the foreseeable future - hopefully 🙏

macOS isn't more secure, it's less popular so it's not as much of a target. Every business and government agency runs on Windows so it's much more lucrative to target that.

One could argue that macOS could be less secure because it's less popular and doesn't have as much attention from security researchers.

Also, goto fail.

• Like 1

The biggest issue is that it's so slow as to be unusable on android. That pretty much kills the whole multi platform aspect it had going on for it. 

It takes around a 8 seconds average to load a note on android, and a lot of the time it just crashes. I've tried different apps over the last few days using the same note and unfortunately I can't use the new evernote, it's probably the worst experience out of Evernote, notion, Google keep and onenote that I've tried. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1