Unable to access notes on app offline

So this week I noticed that Evernote had just updated ( I am using in windows).  I use evernote frequently off-site where I need to create and go back to look at notes offline.  This has been working okay (as long as I have made sure to open them in the app at home first so they are on the device); however today It would not allow me to access any notes of any kind, nor allow me to create a new blank note- it just says that this file is not accessible offline.  I checked and I do have it set to save notes to my device, and was using this without issue until today.  Is this a bug with the new update?  I really need to be able to create new notes offline. For reference I am now using 10.08.3

I just updated Evernote from legacy and I have the same problem.

From the Help Center I got the impression that the marking of offline notes or notebooks is only necessary for mobile devices and on a PC the notes should be available offline by default.
Tried troubleshooting by searching for the location of offlne notes, but there doesn't seem to be anything that size.
The legacy app database is 1.44GB, but that hasn't been accessed since I updated the app.

• Level 5

@Backinmotionvet and @Kaspar, could each of you say a little more about what you're attempting? I'm not sure you're going for the same thing. "Offline" can mean a number of things. On a mobile device notes can be made available offline for reference when the device is out of range of any connection. On the desktop/laptop Evernote app, once all your notes have downloaded from Evernote's servers after installation, which can take quite awhile if you have lots of notes, then you should be able to put the device into airplane mode or turn off the WiFi and still access your notes. In Legacy, it was possible to haven "local notes" on a computer that were never synced to Evernote's servers: that function is no longer available.

@Dave-in-Decatur
I'm attempting to access notes without internet connection on a PC. That's probably true that it'll take time to download the notes, but I've not been able to determine a single note that is available offline.
I tried to enforce downloading by exporting a notebook locally. Indeed that took awhile and a couple of errors and reattempts later the cache folder shows the same size as my exported notebook. That indicates that Evernote downloaded the notes.
Still all the notes from that notebook are not available as soon as I unplug the ethernet cable.

• Level 5

Currently I have a support ticket running about this problem. In my case some notes are available when offline, some are not. From a tendency older notes are affected more, but sometimes young notes are not showing either. I find no pattern - sometimes one note out of two created minutes apart shows, and the other not.

The ticket was passed to the devs, and not yet answered.

Currently I rely on my iPad when traveling - it holds a full copy of my notes as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Why do you believe anything was changed (which implies intentionally) ?

This looks a lot like a bug - especially when there is a full download available on the computers drive. Database sizes between my computers and the iPad are no different. So I assume the data is there, it just can't be properly accessed.

• Like 2

Since the recent update I have been unable to create any new notes offline on my mac laptop. I can access other existing notes that were already downloaded when offline, but not being able to create notes while offline is a comical lack of functionality for a note-taking app.

12 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@Backinmotionvet and @Kaspar, could each of you say a little more about what you're attempting? I'm not sure you're going for the same thing. "Offline" can mean a number of things. On a mobile device notes can be made available offline for reference when the device is out of range of any connection. On the desktop/laptop Evernote app, once all your notes have downloaded from Evernote's servers after installation, which can take quite awhile if you have lots of notes, then you should be able to put the device into airplane mode or turn off the WiFi and still access your notes. In Legacy, it was possible to haven "local notes" on a computer that were never synced to Evernote's servers: that function is no longer available.

@Dave-in-Decatur I am attempting to use my laptop when offline, as I sometimes see patients at their homes and have to take notes.  As a backstory, I had been using Legacy for the past several years and at the end of last year, downloaded the new version to try to get used to it, since legacy is being phased out.  I am not certain if there was ever a bulk note download from the servers to my laptop when I did this- Is this something that should happen automatically?  If it never happened, what should I do?

As far as I can tell, there isn't an offline database on my laptop for the updated evernote program.  If I open my legacy version (which is still on my computer, though I have not been using it this past month), they do exist offline there.  I think all of my notes are on the server rather than just being local notes, as I am able to access all of them via my smartphone or tablet.  

Prior to this update, while not connected to the internet on my laptop, I was able to create new notes, and access any notes I had made or accessed since using the new (non legacy) program, but I could not access older notes that I had created on legacy.  I was able to access these older notes when online through the browser with no problem, and they would open in the newer evernote program with a several second lag. Since this update, I cannot access anything, not even create a new note while offline. 

I hope that makes sense!  I am worried I will have to download all of my notes/notebooks manually- there are hundreds!!

@PinkElephant I have also submitted a ticket and am awaiting a response.  My older notes were always affected, but until yesterday newer ones were available.  What is really strange is how I cannot create a new note offline either.  

One potential factor: the data format of notes in Legacy is incompatible with the format of notes that v10 uses.  They are converted to v10 format when you open the note in V10, but perhaps you must be online for this to happen (not 100% positive about that).  So, it's possible that if you try to open a legacy note with V10 while offline, it may not work. Others here are more expert in this than I am; perhaps one of them will be along to confirm my supposition.

(Also, a side note, since you refer to "patients," you realize that Evernote is not HIPPA compliant?)

Vinnie

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

В настоящее время у меня есть обращение в службу поддержки по поводу этой проблемы. В моем случае некоторые заметки доступны в автономном режиме, некоторые — нет. Тенденция заключается в том, что более старые ноты страдают больше, но иногда молодые ноты тоже не проявляются. Никакой закономерности не нахожу - иногда одна нота из двух созданных с интервалом в несколько минут показывается, а другая нет.

Запрос был передан разработчикам, но на него еще не ответили.

В настоящее время во время путешествий я использую iPad — на нем также хранится полная копия моих заметок.

as far as I remember, you claimed that 10 is the most stable version

Ooops

• Level 5

Your remark is completely beside the topic of this thread. We are discussing an issue with sincerity, and all you can contribute is a nonsensical remark.

You are welcome to participate in the discussion - if you have something to say.

I'm experiencing this as well. I used to be able to access notes offline on my computer but today it shows me this message for any note I try to access:

Note unavailableThis note is not available offline, once back online the note will be available again.

Looking forward to knowing how to resolve this.

@Backinmotionvet, Duh, I should have realized from your username that your patients weren't people!  I can't explain why you can't make a new note. But it struck me that the conversion from Legacy could be a problem.  One workaround I've seen others use in different circumstances is to make a few empty placeholder notes at home base where you have good Internet, let them sync to your portable device, then maybe you will be able to open and enter info into that precreated note in the field.

It's good you filed for a support ticket; you may need them to help resolve this.

Vinnie

I am also having issues accessing my notes offline on Mac.

the moment I turn off wifi, all the notes becomes like this.

image.png.9a13a4ae20e5fe2f17a525479ea84458.png

this occurs even new notes that I create.

any solutions will be much appreciated.

• Level 5

I can now confirm that I am experiencing the same thing, in Evernote 10.80.3 desktop on a Windows 10 laptop and a home WiFi network. I forced a reload (Ctrl+Help > Troubleshooting > Force Reload) twice, and I've been using v. 10 on  this laptop for ages, so I'm confident that my database is all downloaded. Evernote data files in v. 10 on Windows are located in C:\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\ and this seems to be intact. I put the laptop into airplane mode, and could not get any note to open, only getting the message "Note unavailable. This note is not available offline, once back online the note will be available again." This applied to all notes of any age and type; yet the metadata and/or header info was present, since information showed up in Notes and Notebooks views, and on the Home page. It's clearly a bug. I don't have much need for offline access on my laptop, but I appreciate those who have reported it.

• Like 1

Made a test:
1) Exported a notebook with notes while online
2) Imported the notebook while offline
3) The notebook is imported, note headers shown, but the notes are still unavailable!

Even the notes that are on the PC for importing are unavailable to be shown by Evernote.

For now the workaround is to import the notebook to another note app. But it's quite a bug not to have access to your notes that are saved on the computer.

I am having same issue.  Off-line accessibility is critical for how I use EN.  It sounds like I would have off-line accessibility if I switch to an iPad?  

1 hour ago, charles36 said:

I am having same issue.  Off-line accessibility is critical for how I use EN.  It sounds like I would have off-line accessibility if I switch to an iPad?  

Any mobile device with new enough OS should work.

I don't know about the differences between the iPad and iPhone, but offline access has not been reliable on my iPhone in many months. It seems opening notes prior to downloading to the device helps somewhat, but even then opening them without a cell connection is hit or miss. When the mobile app updates, it's also been known to reset offline note/notebook selections and remove previously downloaded offline content from the device. This change isn't always obvious. Once it's discovered, the setting must be fixed and the content downloaded again.

I was on the legacy version since it worked reliably for years... then forced to update... now I cant access anything... can anyone recommend an evernote alternative? 

18 hours ago, F.O. said:

I was on the legacy version since it worked reliably for years... then forced to update... now I cant access anything... can anyone recommend an evernote alternative? 

It may be surprising to know that not everyone uses Evernote the way that you do. For example, some people use web clipping and/or email-to-note quite heavily. Do you? I don't. So what may be a good alternative for me won't need to do web clipping or email-to-note and if I suggested one of those two you, you might scoff if you relied heavily on them.

For a forum search on alternatives: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adiscussion.evernote.com+alternatives

Also check out: https://noteapps.info/apps/compare

It's worth exploring. In the end, you may realize that Evernote v10 is the best all things considered for your personal use cases and preferences... or not.

Also this: "now I cant access anything...", sounds like an issue with your particular setup that needs to get worked out and/or start another thread just for that and give details. Perhaps someone can offer help.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Backinmotionvet said:

I am looking for a 10.81.4 update but can't seem to find it, i am still version 10.8.3.  Will it do this automatically?

Go to the Evernote website to download the latest.  Sometimes the in app download lags behind.

The new update did fix being able to see newly created notes, but I suspect that it still has not downloaded all of my old notes to the computer, as I can see new notes offline but not old ones.  Is there a way to force it to download these files?  or maybe sign out and sign back in? 

• Level 5

There were discussions about forcing a download by trying to export a notebook.

No idea if this helps at all. I think time is your best friend. You can check in the Task Manager (Windows) if there is network activity going on while the EN app is not actively used, but open. It will download only while open, can be in the background. 

Thanks, I have exported some notebooks but it takes a lot of time to do each one individually.  I have over 900 notebooks, as I organized files that way when I started using evernote legacy (now regretting), but now there is no good way to bulk export them that I can find.  It will take me weeks at the current rate!

I did sign out and clicked the option to remove the files from the device, then signed back in so hopefully that jump starts it. 

In Task manager there is network activity while it is not actively being used, so hopefully that means it is downloading!  Since I have so many notebooks I suspect this will take time, I just wish there was a way to know it was really happening. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 2:35 PM, laurence.glazier said:

It's working for me offline on my laptop (Windows). V10.81.4

Thank you so much for your suggestion as it work for me too. After updating this version, its now accessible offline also with no issues.