The first line/title of each note has disappeared from the top corner

In the new update, only the name of the notebook is visible at the top of a note when opened in a separate window. 

Is there an option to revert back to the old default where I can see the first line/title of that particular note in the top corner?

Without this feature, I can no longer see which note is which when they're open in separate windows. Huge bummer and super inefficient. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-09 at 5.28.47 PM.png

• Like 2

Still working on Windows as expected. It is possible that Mac is different but that is extremely unusual these days.

image.png.5dc49c1df7bcde600865adfb8663a746.pngimage.png.7a4c2d23588ec69eabcf82b0332f0c67.png

10.75.1-win-ddl-public (20240206023756)
Editor: v176.52.0
Service: v1.91.0
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

34 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No idea about the UI change.

Good point. My comment about Windows is for the old UI. I too have no idea about whether this is affected by the new UI.

I reported about the title no longer being there on Mac Desktop (direct download) with the new UI on Feb 2 here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149750-new-ui-experiences-bad-and-good/?do=findComment&comment=717999

And it's still that way for me on 10.75.2 today on Mac direct download with the new UI:

image.png.5a12acc0e1b1982ac6148e4f8577c12f.png

No titles in the main window [title bar] either. (Edit 2024-02-13 15:16 UTC: The title bar has been relegated to the side bar, there isn't room for the note title to be displayed there now.)

image.png.99e8f4c96efbb023e1e43de7db95ec39.png

And in the gray area when the note editor portion is expanded:

image.png.28cdb944da03e8dd03877b5441d8f255.png

Edited by Boot17
Add to clarify: The title bar has been relegated to the side bar, there isn't room for the note title to be displayed there now
  • Like 2
  • Level 5

FWIW, here's what I'm seeing with a note open in its own window under Windows 10 in Evernote v. 10.75.2 with the new UI. At the top is the window title, I presume put there by Windows based on what Evernote tells it; the title is also present, editable, in its own usual place in the note, in this case beneath the Backlinks button.

image.png.6a66820fd7f243b11547d57664a8b351.png

1 hour ago, BigAssCouchfort said:

I'm not a programmer or designer but I can't see how this could possibly be beneficial or why they would remove the title from the heading. 

Surely a mistake? 

Yeah - you'd think -- and they could put the title in the note that's popped out in it's own window though since the title bar is still there. However, where would they put it in the main window? The title bar is gone altogether now and that looks like it was done by design. Maybe they put it after the notebook and hidden move button...?

Hopefully an oversight, since the title doesn't stay fixed at the top of the note like it did in Legacy -- so once you start scrolling the note, there is no title to be seen now on the Mac Desktop app.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mike P said:

Still working on Windows as expected. It is possible that Mac is different but that is extremely unusual these days.

image.png.5dc49c1df7bcde600865adfb8663a746.pngimage.png.7a4c2d23588ec69eabcf82b0332f0c67.png

10.75.1-win-ddl-public (20240206023756)
Editor: v176.52.0
Service: v1.91.0
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

It's not working on the most recent available version on Mac, which is v10.73.2 as far as I can tell. 

• Like 1

On my Windows version with the new UI, only the notebook name is shown at the top. If I expand the note to take up the full EN interface, the notebook name disappears and the top left changes to "Untitled - Evernote" regardless of the note title or notebook name. Doubly unhelpful.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Yeah - you'd think -- and they could put the title in the note that's popped out in it's own window though since the title bar is still there. However, where would they put it in the main window? The title bar is gone altogether now and that looks like it was done by design. Maybe they put it after the notebook and hidden move button...?

Hopefully an oversight, since the title doesn't stay fixed at the top of the note like it did in Legacy -- so once you start scrolling the note, there is no title to be seen now on the Mac Desktop app.

46 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

On my Windows version with the new UI, only the notebook name is shown at the top. If I expand the note to take up the full EN interface, the notebook name disappears and the top left changes to "Untitled - Evernote" regardless of the note title or notebook name. Doubly unhelpful.

It would help me to follow what's going on if we could get more detail in the descriptions, or maybe screenshots with arrows pointing to where things are (or are not). @Boot17, you posted some screenshots earlier, but when you say "title bar" what are you referring to? Part of the interface within Evernote, or part of the window provided by the operating system? @thefryhole, I've seen "Untitled - Evernote" sometimes, but in the most recent version 10.75.2 and the new UI, I realize that I don't see it. But I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "top" and "top left"--again, within the Evernote interface, or in the containing window? Sorry to be dense.

22 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It would help me to follow what's going on if we could get more detail in the descriptions, or maybe screenshots with arrows pointing to where things are (or are not). @Boot17, you posted some screenshots earlier, but when you say "title bar" what are you referring to? Part of the interface within Evernote, or part of the window provided by the operating system? @thefryhole, I've seen "Untitled - Evernote" sometimes, but in the most recent version 10.75.2 and the new UI, I realize that I don't see it. But I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "top" and "top left"--again, within the Evernote interface, or in the containing window? Sorry to be dense.

Hi Dave - in past versions, the Heading info (blue arrow) was placed alongside the Notebook name (red arrow) so that no matter how far down you scrolled, you could still see which note you were in, even when it was in a separate window.

So in the top left corner, it would've read something like... TIMESHARE: 1.1 Overview

Super helpful when jumping back and forth between windows. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 6.39.55 PM.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It would help me to follow what's going on if we could get more detail in the descriptions, or maybe screenshots with arrows pointing to where things are (or are not). @Boot17, you posted some screenshots earlier, but when you say "title bar" what are you referring to? Part of the interface within Evernote, or part of the window provided by the operating system?

Here is more detail -- hope this helps.

Here is a screenshot of before the UI revamp in Version 10 -- so this screenshot was taken a month ago:

"Your Competition Isn't Other People" Note in Main Window:

image.png.cbb1d6028f25f96c2dd6867c78ba2b14.png

"Treadmill Time" Note in it's own "new" Window:

image.png.682877b9b3c6cd126ca56b2d9e313abb.png

In Mac Desktop v10, prior to the UI revamp, you could always see the title of the note in the title bar as shown above -- whether the note was in the main window or if it was in a new window. Of course, the editable portion of the title in the note would scroll off the screen when you scrolled down in the note (unlike in Legacy where the editable part of the note title was always visible), but the note title was always visible in the title bar -- as I believe is the case with the title of the note always showing in the menu bar on Windows.

Note that unlike Windows, on MacOS the menu bar is always fixed to the very top of the screen -- it's not attached to each individual window. The menu bar will change to match whatever application is active. (That's why the top of the window on Mac is not called the Menu Bar as it is in Windows.)

However, like Windows, on Mac you'll often still have a bar at the top of each window that contains close, minimize, and full screen buttons -- these are the red, yellow, and green buttons. This bar is often referred to as the title bar. This is the bar that you use to drag the window around the Desktop (just like on Windows). It will typically have the title of whatever you are working in as well -- like here is an example from a different application.

image.png.9b20d0bbe581038d2e705df5d7781b2f.png

In Evernote v10, prior to the UI revamp from a few weeks ago, the title of the note would display in that title area as shown in the screenshots above. If you scrolled down in the note, you could still see the title of the note there in the title bar.

Now, with the UI revamp (at least in MacOS Desktop), if you scroll down in the note, the title of the note will scroll off the page (as it did before in v10), but since the note title no longer appears in the title bar, you can't discern which note you are looking at.

Here is my "Treadmill Tiime" note in the main window. I've scrolled down a ways in the note:

image.png.55090c86049006caf5e249b1d49cb704.png

Note that there is no indication of which note I am in.

Here is that same "Treadmill Time" note opened in its own window:

image.png.1ab7a0afcabd308e9b610b65ff0ec54a.png

Again -- no indication of which note I am in.

So we see that the UI Revamp has made it harder to discern which note we are in.

Thus, the question: Was this by design (with side effect of making things less discernible) or is it just an oversight and mistake?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Thus, the question: Was this by design (with side effect of making things less discernible) or is it just an oversight and mistake?

Or maybe a Mac version that no longer allows naming of windows?

Windows 11,  Evernote 10.75.2:

screen.thumb.jpg.c3cd9a0dcef225a8a517286271f1865d.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

there are a few Apps for Mac available to design the title bar of a window to your needs. Do you have -by accident or else- installed one of those? And that app has changed the title - for whatever reason?

To me that looks like someone/something has interfered with the original Mac Window title bar look (could also be a terminal command).

EN hasn't provided the ability - yet.

2 hours ago, ThomH said:

there are a few Apps for Mac available to design the title bar of a window to your needs. Do you have -by accident or else- installed one of those? And that app has changed the title - for whatever reason?

No. I've been following the new UI changes closer than most. This is definitely something specific to the new UI revamp.

2 hours ago, ThomH said:

To me that looks like someone/something has interfered with the original Mac Window title bar look

Yeah - exactly. Someone named Bending Spoons. 🤣

Perhaps it's just an oversight and one to be rectified by feedback: 'hey - this is missing' - "oh really? Someone uses that. Ok - let's put it back I guess.". Who knows?

The way the new design is on the Mac though, you can clearly see that there really is no title bar in the Main window any more. It has been relegated to live only in the side bar.

With the current state of the UI revamp it would be easy to just add it back to the notes in their own window though since there is still a title bar there -- that is probably an oversight. But the way they've designed the new main window now doesn't lend itself as easily... it will be interesting to see what they do there, if anything.

• Like 1

A strange thing to leave off the design.

In any event, my workaround for the moment is adding the Title of a note to the Tags at the bottom of its window, so at least I can see it at a glance without scrolling back up to the top of the note. 

• Level 5

@Boot17, @BigAssCouchfort, @ThomH, thanks for the clarifications. So, clearly a difference between Mac and Windows implementations in v. 10.75. The Win version seems better, with the note title always in the (separate) window title area, while the Mac version has lost this important info. Mac people are generally such bashful folks, I wonder if anyone will notify Evernote of their error? 😂

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Mac people are generally such bashful folks, I wonder if anyone will notify Evernote of their error? 😂

Lol - dude - coming from the Windows guy that has been more vocal and critical about the UI revamp than me... I mean -- I'd wager... 😃

Plus, I consider myself ambidextrous cross-platform-dextrous as I love and use both MacOS and Windows - they are both awesome -- so I am so greatly offended (/joking) at being labeled just a Mac person.

• Haha 1

Here is what the Windows version looks like with the sidebar collapsed, the notebook's notes listed in the middle, and the note itself on the right. I've scrolled down a bit in the note and no note title is visible, only the notebook name.Untitled-partial.thumb.jpg.e148dd920c30418a3ec650b983b6770b.jpg

If I do a full-screen note, the title bar at the upper left no longer shows the notebook name, switching it instead to "untitled." The notebook name also persists above the note window but still no note title is visible.

Untitled-full.jpg.ca2d539eb2c6378ef80a2124b1ab0f1b.jpg

10 hours ago, ThomH said:

Hi, running 14.3.1. Mac OS (Sonoma) with EN client 10.75.2 and title is shown, even changed in realtime when editing the Title

Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-13 um 18.10.06.jpg

You aren't running the new UI "revamp" for v10 though -- you are still on the "old" UI for v10. The new UI revamp isn't rolled out to everyone yet. There is a server-side switch per account for it.

See here for the difference in style: https://evernote.com/blog/new-ui-2024

Also here for a four page discussion thread on it: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149750-new-ui-experiences-bad-and-good/

20 hours ago, Boot17 said:

The title is appearing now at the top of the note, in the "breadcrumb" area of the note with the latest 10.76.2 release.

Main View Desktop Mac:

image.png.3e4047d50ec38b88a7fdff9e15bf6cf3.png

New Window View Desktop Mac:

image.png.101875843e2d2b95a79cb28a5dbff8ea.png

This change is with this improvement in the 10.76.2 release: the breadcrumbs now also include the title of a note

https://evernote.com/release-notes/10.76.2

Awesome - thanks for the headsup!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, Boot17 said:

The title is appearing now at the top of the note, in the "breadcrumb" area of the note with the latest 10.76.2 release.

This also fixes one of my pet peeves.  Just click on the title to select from the drop-down and move the note.  No more chasing the hidden icon.  It is minor, but I finally have something to be happy about.  It's the little things ...

• Like 3