Somehow all evernote (desktop, mobile) were logged out friday and can't get back in

I've been running in circles now for 2 hours.  I have critical data in evernote and can find no support.

I've been a premium member for probably 8 years.  I'm actually not 100% sure what my email address is because i havent "logged in" in years as it just runs on my phone and my desktop.

I've tried several email addresses and when i log in all my notes are missing so i assume it's not the right account.

When i use the email account I believe it is i get a message that says and i no longer have access to that email address because it was from a company i left years ago (again showing how long since I've appraently logged in).

What can i do?  Ive contacted evernote on twitter, been all over their site, cant use this email and have mission critical data stored in my evernote that i need access to today.

image.thumb.png.3a91ff7310d8b6b89e71c70a50eadf8f.png

• Like 1

I created a ticket. I got no ticket number just a message that says the following:

We are currently restructuring the Evernote Customer Support department to ensure we can deliver a better service to you and all our customers. Some delay in response time is expected. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Level 5

Checked your spam folder ?

There usually is an answer, within a few minutes. It’s automatic, says they will come back to you, but it states the ticket number as well. No ticket number, likely no ticket created.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Checked your spam folder ?

There usually is an answer, within a few minutes. It’s automatic, says they will come back to you, but it states the ticket number as well. No ticket number, likely no ticket created.

The new temporary system doesn't seem to automatically issue a number,  even when the issue has been accepted.  You can see the current number & status of your ticket and add additional comments if necessary by logging in here >  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/

• Thanks 1

Nothing in spam.  Also no response at all yet.  been a coupjle weeks.  This is starting to become a desperate situation.  horrific customer service from a near decade Customer here.

Do people that work at evernote respond on this board?  what other options do i have to contact them?  spent a lot of time on their site and can find no other way to contact them.  No clue why they randomly locked my account but all my business info is in there that i soon will desperately need access to again.

So much for "safely" storing things in the cloud where it's always available.

• Level 5

Maybe this is what happened:

We preemptively reset vulnerable passwords with an automatic password reset for accounts that didn’t have two-factor authentication. These accounts were particularly vulnerable to attacks through a weak or reused password. Affected users were then prompted to update their password the next time they opened Evernote. And again, I highly recommend setting up two-factor authentication!

Source: https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap

• Like 1
On 1/7/2024 at 4:57 PM, PinkElephant said:

Maybe this is what happened:

We preemptively reset vulnerable passwords with an automatic password reset for accounts that didn’t have two-factor authentication. These accounts were particularly vulnerable to attacks through a weak or reused password. Affected users were then prompted to update their password the next time they opened Evernote. And again, I highly recommend setting up two-factor authentication!

Source: https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap

that could be.  in the end i just need help getting my access back.  im unable to do that given it says my account is locked when i type in the password for that account.  

is there no other way to contact this company?  absolutely absurd.  i have over a decade of contracts etc locked up in an account and zero customer support.  do employees view this site? 

does anyone man the twitter?

does anyone respond to weeks old trouble tickets?

i thought this was a reputable company.  lmao.  what a fkn joke

• Evernote Expert
45 minutes ago, EvernoteProblems said:

do employees view this site? 

does anyone man the twitter?

does anyone respond to weeks old trouble tickets?

Mostly not

Again, mostly not

Yes but very slowly.  With Christmas and the New Year I'm estimating 21 day response times but gradually improving back to 14 days.

24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you have a ticket number, we can flag it and try to bump you up a bit. No guarantees !

That would be amazing.  ive been waiting almost a month in a couple days from the original ticket.  

Here's the second ticket i submitted since i never got a number for the first ticket - #3807996

This is such a bizarre situation.  I have my password and somehow my account is locked.  and there's no backup way to unlock it like every other account i have.  I just need someone to flip the bit on my account so i can log back in with the password that i have and then change the email address etc.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, EvernoteProblems said:

Here's the second ticket i submitted since i never got a number for the first ticket - #3807996

Flagged - can't say if it will help....  :)

Thank you.  At least that gives me a chance.  this is now becoming a desperate situation.  Tax season is coming and several logged expenses are stored "in the cloud" etc.  

Is there a way to chat with someone?  Cant imagine im the only person that has ever had this issue.  Crazy to think im locked out of an account i have a password for and after a month havent had a single response from the company im paying.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, EvernoteProblems said:

oh no.  so the "chat" button on the evernote website doesnt work anymore?  thats weird then that it's still displayed there as if it works.  

Technically,  it got 'suspended' - we're expecting it back,  but not anytime soon.  Did you try the 'forgot password' link via a web browser,  or is your issue something else?

Yes but when i try "forgot password" it sends me to an email address of a former employer i havent worked at in 4 years.  

This has now become more dire as I have a medical appoitnment on Wednesady with some medical logs in this account as well that I dont have access to.

Why would the account have gotten "suspended"?  I havent changed or used the password in months / years.  Everyone just randomly shut down around december 15th or so.  I'm assuming because of the two factor authentication change that was forced upon me.  

I have the password.  I know the password.  I just cant log in and i cant get to an email that is sent to an email address of an employer i had 4 years ago (which is why i originally had this account but didnt realize it was tied to that email address until whatever happened in December happened).

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!  this medical problem is now going to be a huge deal if i cant get access to the information i have stored in my evernote.

• Level 5
35 minutes ago, EvernoteProblems said:

Yes but when i try "forgot password" it sends me to an email address of a former employer i havent worked at in 4 years.  

This has now become more dire as I have a medical appoitnment on Wednesady with some medical logs in this account as well that I dont have access to.

Why would the account have gotten "suspended"?  I havent changed or used the password in months / years.  Everyone just randomly shut down around december 15th or so.  I'm assuming because of the two factor authentication change that was forced upon me.  

I have the password.  I know the password.  I just cant log in and i cant get to an email that is sent to an email address of an employer i had 4 years ago (which is why i originally had this account but didnt realize it was tied to that email address until whatever happened in December happened).

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!  this medical problem is now going to be a huge deal if i cant get access to the information i have stored in my evernote.

This is liable to be something that will need Evernote Support to help with, since we here are just other users with no access to password reset, etc. https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action. Evernote did say in a recent blog post that they initiated password resets on accounts that they deemed poorly secured, so that could be involved too I suppose: https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap, scroll down to "Goal 3."

• 2 weeks later...

Someone earlier said they were upgrading the ticket and ostensibly worked for Evernote.  

Worst customer support i've ever experienced.

I canceled my medical appointment as i dont have access to the info i have locked up in evernote as a result of their incompetence.

Lawyers now getting involved.

What the *****!

• Level 5

Just to sort things out: First you ran an account with a weak password and no 2FA enabled. For security this was set back by the provider.

Then you had not kept your own contact information up to date. The regular reset function didn’t work for that reason.

To get good advise, I think you should tell your lawyer that everything started with you not caring for a secure access and actual contact information.

Where your support request derailed we in the forum can’t see. We have no access to any data beside our own.

You can send your ticket number to a forum admin (Level 5 with a star) by DM. They can try to bump the ticket.

If you are on good terms with your former employer and the mail address still exists you could ask him to forward the password change email. 

It should contain a link to reset the password. You probably only need this link.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you are lucky, yes. Most companies I have experience with will permanently close mail accounts after an employee left, to avoid being responsible for any traffic that may still be routed there. This usually goes so far that if a new employee joins with the same name, he will receive a different mail address.

But trying is OK, if still on talking terms.

And then change it ASAP in EN, not to repeat the experience.

On 1/23/2024 at 12:45 AM, PinkElephant said:

Just to sort things out: First you ran an account with a weak password and no 2FA enabled. For security this was set back by the provider.

Then you had not kept your own contact information up to date. The regular reset function didn’t work for that reason.

To get good advise, I think you should tell your lawyer that everything started with you not caring for a secure access and actual contact information.

Where your support request derailed we in the forum can’t see. We have no access to any data beside our own.

You can send your ticket number to a forum admin (Level 5 with a star) by DM. They can try to bump the ticket.

PINKELEPHANT i dm'd you and am in the process of dm'ing every 5* i can find.

here are 2 tickets 

My health information for the appoitnment i canceled is in evernote and i have zero response in 7 weeks.  we are going to the media and reaching out to evernote directly but that will be slower.  

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!  This is a life on the line!

On 1/24/2024 at 8:58 AM, Feitz said:

If you are on good terms with your former employer and the mail address still exists you could ask him to forward the password change email. 

It should contain a link to reset the password. You probably only need this link.

unfortuantely it's been many years and i doubt they will create an account for me with that email address.  My attempts to get them to do so have said it would bypass their change control process and is not an option.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I've flagged your ticket numbers for a Forum Admin,  but as has probably been explained before - everyone you've sent those details to is just another user;  we're not Evernote employees and have no special access to your account.  Even the admin staff here aren't really the people to help you.

You need to contact the Support team to verify your identity and get back into the account.  I understand that you're stressed because of your condition,  but if your records are not available for the moment I suggest you go to your appointment and explain the situation to your healthcare provider. 

I'm sure they will work around any missing data - they should presumably have detailed records of their own to work from.

I sincerely hope this situation is resolved for you as soon as possible.

• Like 1

I also suggest you open a new ticket as well. I've noticed that if I open a new ticket I now get a response pretty quickly but older tickets are still pending. It seems like tier 1 support is less backed up than the higher tiers.

On 1/31/2024 at 9:27 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I've flagged your ticket numbers for a Forum Admin,  but as has probably been explained before - everyone you've sent those details to is just another user;  we're not Evernote employees and have no special access to your account.  Even the admin staff here aren't really the people to help you.

You need to contact the Support team to verify your identity and get back into the account.  I understand that you're stressed because of your condition,  but if your records are not available for the moment I suggest you go to your appointment and explain the situation to your healthcare provider. 

I'm sure they will work around any missing data - they should presumably have detailed records of their own to work from.

Thank you so much for flagging my ticket.  I received my first response TODAY in 7 weeks.  Not that it matters but the issue is not having the appoitnment, the issue is the data to be reviewed in the appointment that was collected over 60 days.  I dont have that data as it's in evernote which previously was "always available to me" and therefore the only other option is to do the 60 day collection again.  That's way too much info and doesnt matter but is why the situation is critical.

That said, I received an email today finally.  Here is what it said:

image.thumb.png.1caff7d0baa30fe8558106713637efb2.png

I then went to login using the password which i know and is correct because it "is" my account.  I then got this response on the website logging in:

image.thumb.png.432a71b7cb4d2fd5ea9ec60144093730.png

I then emailed them because THIS IS PROGRESS but as i dont have that email access I'm still stuck.  When i emailed support-webform@evernote.com i got this bounced email so now im stuck again.  

image.thumb.png.4bbcaed631da00b46836b048667b1eab.png

Now what do i do?  I dont have a way to respond to them?  I'll create another ticket linking to this post but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.  I believe we are almost there!

12 minutes ago, EvernoteProblems2 said:

Thank you so much for flagging my ticket.  I received my first response TODAY in 7 weeks.  Not that it matters but the issue is not having the appoitnment, the issue is the data to be reviewed in the appointment that was collected over 60 days.  I dont have that data as it's in evernote which previously was "always available to me" and therefore the only other option is to do the 60 day collection again.  That's way too much info and doesnt matter but is why the situation is critical.

That said, I received an email today finally.  Here is what it said:

image.thumb.png.1caff7d0baa30fe8558106713637efb2.png

I then went to login using the password which i know and is correct because it "is" my account.  I then got this response on the website logging in:

image.thumb.png.432a71b7cb4d2fd5ea9ec60144093730.png

I then emailed them because THIS IS PROGRESS but as i dont have that email access I'm still stuck.  When i emailed support-webform@evernote.com i got this bounced email so now im stuck again.  

image.thumb.png.4bbcaed631da00b46836b048667b1eab.png

Now what do i do?  I dont have a way to respond to them?  I'll create another ticket linking to this post but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.  I believe we are almost there!

On 1/31/2024 at 9:27 PM, gazumped said:

The new ticket i created is 3826678 about how do i respond to evernote that i've done what they asked and have proven it is my password but i cant get an email sent to me at the old email address. 

Can you please flag / upgrade this ticket for a potentially faster response?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, EvernoteProblems2 said:

The new ticket i created is 3826678

OK - also flagged.  Sorry for the delay in responding to your message - time zones! - it's now morning for me.

As to contact points,  I think I mentioned there is a website where you should be able to see the current status of,  and add notes to,  the ticket(s) you created https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/

Could someone please flag the latest ticket i have created?  3830747

we were making great progress.  I created the SHARED NOTE with all the information they requested 7 days ago and have received no repsponse since.  

thank you!  we're almost there i think.  I'm desperatrely waiting to schedule this cardiology appointment and just need the access setup ot the new email that i have access to.

Just a few suggestions for the future. Don't mix work and personal, NEVER use a work email for a personal account. ALWAYS keep them seperate.

Second use a password manager popular choices are 1Password and Bitwarden. With a password manager you will set a unique, long, secure password for each and every site you use generated by the password manager. It's not 100% recommended but many password managers will also store your 2-Factor Authentication. The idea is you set a very good password for the password manager and NEVER forget it, and I mean NEVER.

If you had these measures in place you would have had access to your email and would have known your password and your password likely wouldn't have been deemed insecure.

Obviously this doesn't help you now but it's something to look at for the future.

As an aside I highly recommend purchasing your own domain and using an email service that allows for a custom domain, that way you not only have access to your email but you are also the legal owner of that address not just "borrowing" it from Gmail.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EvernoteProblems said:

Could someone please flag the latest ticket i have created?  3830747

I flagged your ticket,  but please don't create new ones unless you're raising a new issue. 

You've been in touch with the team and they should have quoted a reference - just reply to that with more information if you need to.  Support probably has a lot of waiting tickets and -as you found- there's a long delay before each new one gets to the front of the queue for attention.  If you create another ticket on the same issue it doesn't automatically get seen by the person dealing with your current conversation - it gets tagged on to the end of the other new emails and works its way through the queue again. 

The agent dealing with your original issue has to go find it in the backlog of other tickets coming through - if they realise you have created a new ticket. 

I have no current information on the situation at Evernote,  but I used to run a support team so I know how much more work multiple tickets on one issue creates....  You're making it harder for them to help you.