Recent upgrade (push) on WinEvernote breaks previous searchsuggestions

Before the upgrade, I would see real-time search suggestions listed as I typed.
This was a great feature as it provided me a sort-of wildcard capability while I typed. It did this be listing, as search suggestions, tags containing my search criteria.

for example: before the upgrade search 'abc' would provide suggestions for tags containing 'abc'

123abc (etc)

now, all I see are  exact matches. I only see 'abc' (no suggestions)

So, I need to now switch to my tags view and search there because wildcards still work from tags view.

In tags view now see, as a suggestion to 'abc' results:

123abc

• Like 2

hi that works on the desktop, but not on mobile and web , so If I want to search on mobile for a specific note , it does not appear , you cannot 'go to' it , this bug has appeared again just now , after being recently fixed 

• Level 5*

Feed it back to Evernote and wait for the next version then - the problem with mobiles is that the stores only install the latest version.  Meantime there will be an alternative way to run searches,  even if its not the one you prefer...

Came here to see if anybody was reporting the same issue.

The search only suggests some tags. I use a tagging system like "Category - SubCategory". Searching for "Category" will show suggestions, but for "SubCategory" no suggestions are provided. It does seem to work with Ctrl + Q, but Ctrl + Q doesn't let me stack tags like the search does.

thanks , control q does work for desktop, I usually work mostly via web , which is similar to mobile . all was ok this morning , now the 'go to' in search does not work like the function 'control q' does on desktop , so the bug is in the search tab also via Evernote desktop if you do not do 'control q' but search for a note in the 'search tab'. It shows now 'most recent' and for some notes like I said the search does not yield a result. 

I don't use tags so on that issue I don't know.

There are so many things which are now broken in search/filter that I am  beginning to suspect a conspiracy to force us to use AI search. That was tongue in cheek but seriously:

• Can no longer reliably search after filtering
  • tag "suggestions" after choosing one tag are frequently rubbish whereas in earlier versions of V10 they were only tags included in the filtered list
  • keyboard shortcut for "open tag filter" clears the search. (The filter icon still works correctly)
  • Child tags are not indented in the sidebar making it very difficult to find the sub tags you want
  • frequently cannot find a tag using the main search - I think this may be related to the above problem.
  • search syntax for checkmarks changed with no change in the documentation or other announcement - we were just supposed to know.

I honestly find the simplest way now to build up a search is to use the search syntax even when it is not really necessary. It always works as expected and even my slow typing is faster than using the tag filter.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Mike P said:

Can no longer reliably search after filtering

I'm experiencing an issue like this. Now that my tag suggestions haven't been showing, I have been using the "Add filters" button to apply my tags. If I first add a tag via "Add filters" and then try to search for a phrase I know to be within one of the filtered notes, nothing changes and it doesn't search for the term. If I try hitting enter again to search for the term a second time, it removes my filters and searches for the term on its own instead of within my filtered notes.

To find the result I'm looking for I have to search for the term first and then apply filters. I'm not sure if this has always worked this way because I never used the "Add filters" button to build my filters. After all, search suggestions were much quicker, but it's a bad experience either way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jh1989 said:

I'm not sure if this has always worked this way because I never used the "Add filters" button to build my filters.

In previous releases you could definitely add or modify search terms before or after adding a filter. 

2 hours ago, jh1989 said:

If I first add a tag via "Add filters" and then try to search for a phrase I know to be within one of the filtered notes, nothing changes and it doesn't search for the term. If I try hitting enter again to search for the term a second time, it removes my filters and searches for the term on its own instead of within my filtered notes.

This is exactly my experience. The screen refreshes as if it has used the search term but in fact nothing has happened. Then when you hit enter again it removes the filter.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

My Web version just updated to 10.68.2. Don't know if that's the current desktop download at evernote.com, but might be worth a look to see if things have been fixed.

The one for download is 10.68.2, but it doesn't appear to have fixed this issue unfortunately.

• Sad 1
45 minutes ago, dannydu said:

issue fixed as of most recent upgrade 10.68.2 . great to see the community being listened to by evernote , thanks

I think you are right. However, it wasn't working after I installed 10.68.2 yesterday but is working today. Therefore, I am assuming it is a server side fix and not actually anything to do with the client. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as it is now working!

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

Had some conversations yesterday and there have been some changes to the server-side search algorithm. The impact was/is being monitored and adjustments made based on feedback. Looks like something just landed.

• Like 4

I'm not seeing any improvements...

Search still broken -  not seeing reasonable search suggestions.

I'm on version 10.68.2

Curious how Evernote managed to break this capability given our reasonable, and common, expectations regarding implementation/support of search suggestions.

For example, just go to your favorite web-search to see how this feature is generally implemented
(below example)

image.png.5c878c3280c86085aabf2a6ebaa54898.png

21 minutes ago, GarySam said:

I'm not seeing any improvements...

Looks good to me. Sensible note titles and a sensible tag all coming up as suggestions. This isn't a one-off - I've tried a few different searches and I'm happy that I'm getting reasonable suggestions.

image.png.a7367ad2697c68727ea57e28a3ee364e.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Search suggestions appear to be working at pre upgrade level.

1. I downloaded/installed current version
2. tried a search in tags, cleared search, and then did main search.

Suggestions are now working per exceptions.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, faq75 said:

No improvement my end and despite my work deadline, Evernote isn't responding to my requests for help.

I'll have to look at Google Docs as this kind of issue really does impact my productivity.

You're posting as though you've explained this issue in detail,  although I can't find where.  What work deadline?  And it's the holiday season,  plus Evernote were already overwhelmed with support requests - likely turn-around on any query is going to be a couple of weeks unless and until they get a handle on things...

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

You're posting as though you've explained this issue in detail,  although I can't find where.  What work deadline?  And it's the holiday season,  plus Evernote were already overwhelmed with support requests - likely turn-around on any query is going to be a couple of weeks unless and until they get a handle on things...

I didn't post about the issue here but in their request section of their website via their "email" service. Chat is always out of action so have to post there. Also, some professions continue to work during the holidays such as journalists.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, faq75 said:

some professions continue to work during the holidays such as journalists

LOL - we're all just users here (unless you see an 'Employee' flag) and sleep is just for the unemployed,  right?

On 12/20/2023 at 3:13 PM, gazumped said:

sleep is just for the unemployed

I am procrastinating...

If sleep is for the unemployed then
procrastination is for the employed

Lacking anything witty, I'll just leave it at that  (though much time was spent staring at this page)

• Like 1

"go to " in search again is not working properly, when searching for a specific note , the 'go to' doesn't upload the correct note , also unless you search for the exact note 'title' the 'go to' would not show the note as well. So 'go to' search is again not working as it used to. please fix this 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dannydu said:

"go to " in search again is not working properly, when searching for a specific note

? The "go to" area in a blank Search lists note titles.  Clicking on a title opens the note.  Adding a search term changes the content of the area,  but again;  clicking on a title opens the note.  What's not working?

Win 11 EN 10.70.2 (and I know there's a later version)

I'm afraid Evernote tech support are just not listening. Two updates but yet none of them attempt to address this issue. Tech support has only sent out one email and no update since.

• Level 5

2 updates ...

What we see is agile software development at work. If the current latest release is ver100, ver101 is already ready to go, maybe in notarization by the stores. ver 102 is in final testing, ver103 is under development, ver104 is being prepared by defining its features, ver105 is in the collection / review of what will be done.

If you happen to find an error in the current release ver100, and manage to get it to support in no time (currently add a week or two ...), you may be able to take influence on ver106 or ver107. If it's urgent, they may try to bring it into 104 or 105.

2 updates in a cycle of currently one update per week or two is nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 12:31 PM, gazumped said:

? The "go to" area in a blank Search lists note titles.  Clicking on a title opens the note.  Adding a search term changes the content of the area,  but again;  clicking on a title opens the note.  What's not working?

Win 11 EN 10.70.2 (and I know there's a later version)

what doesn't work is when I search for a note in the go to box the title of some notes do not appear , unless you exactly search for the note name without any mistake and even then this is not 100% , this was not the case before . So what is happening is you search for a note in the go to and since the note that not appear since the search is broken , you press enter, and then a list of notes which have what you were looking for appear , but that is not the purpose of 'go to' its the purpose of 'search' and my goal is to find a specific note and 'go to' it. not search . 

When using 'Control q' on Evernote desktop this works perfectly , I do not know why in the web and mobile there isn't a 'control q' .  

• Like 1

A few minutes ago, I received a message from Evernotes asking me to update to the latest version to fix this problem.

I did and just let them know it did not fix this problem.

It appears they didn't even look at it.

What am I paying for again?

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, faq75 said:

What am I paying for again?

Access to be able to go back to Support and tell them that?  There's nothing much we can do here....

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Access to be able to go back to Support and tell them that?  There's nothing much we can do here....

Have told them. I'm waiting to hear if other users have had the same experience.

• Like 1

Evernote experience appears to be degrading with each new, subsequent update. Specifically with search features/capabilities.

I noticed that search (Win platform), or alt+crtl+f, is randomly omitting tag labels.

For example,
searching for 'xyz' is randomly not finding tags labeled 'xyz'.
my work-around is to directly search tags as my first pass as finding something.

This new behavior breaks the recommendations previously offered while typing in search values.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2024 at 4:35 PM, GarySam said:

Evernote experience appears to be degrading with each new, subsequent update. Specifically with search features/capabilities.

I noticed that search (Win platform), or alt+crtl+f, is randomly omitting tag labels.

For example,
searching for 'xyz' is randomly not finding tags labeled 'xyz'.
my work-around is to directly search tags as my first pass as finding something.

This new behavior breaks the recommendations previously offered while typing in search values.

I emailed one of the Bending Spoon presidents to ask if they could get in touch to resolve this issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, faq75 said:

I emailed one of the Bending Spoon presidents to ask if they could get in touch to resolve this issue.

I'd suggest you ask Bill Gates for a second opinion too...  he seems to have lots of free time...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I'd suggest you ask Bill Gates for a second opinion too...  he seems to have lots of free time...

It's funny you say that because a few hours after I sent that email, I got an apology from the technical support team and a 3 month coupon to make up for the delays in solving the issue.

Of course I would rather prefer the issue to be fixed and I hope that email escalated the matter.

• Like 1