It happens very often that I try opening a note but only see endless loading animation. I have to tap android back or the back arrow in Evernote to get back to previous screen and when I try opening that note again it loads immediately!
The same happens often when I have some note open, switch away from Evernote and after some time switch back to it - I see loading animation again and have to repeat the procedure.
  • Like 2

I am experiencing a similar issue.  When I click on a note on my Android tablet, the app just minimizes.  Works fine on Windows app, Chromium on Android, Chrome and Microsoft Edge on Windows 10.  Further testing indicates that anything but the main screen and editing the Scratch Pad minimizes the app.

EDIT: Android detected the crashes, and corrected the problem.  Seems to be working properly now.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

October 5, 2023 - Android app, Pixel 6 Pro, fully patched, stock ROM. LATEST version of the app.

Some notes take FOREVER to load. I sometimes FQ and try again. 

Saved some IMPORTANT info to a note and ONLY THE TITLE survived. Body info was completely missing.

Luckily I still had the data, so I needed to re-enter it.

Evernote needs an option to SAVE and REFRESH a note which could be used optionally. Self-explanatory: It should save the note and refresh the screen to show it's saved.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Razguul said:

these problems started happening a few months ago and continue.

Hi.  If you can give us some more information about your devices / OS / Evernote version(s) and whether or not you are a subscriber maybe we can suggest some possible fixes?  To begin with restarts / reinstalls and avoiding Apple or Google log-ins are usually helpful.  I'm certainly not having any issues logging in on any device,  and while there have been a few complaints about the issue,  there seem to have been less than a dozen in total,  most of which are now fixed...

I'm seeing endless load animation when I attempt to display a note; the back-button workaround suggested by others doesn't solve the problem.  Problem appeared this week and I'm a frequent user.  I have  Android version 10.56.2 running on a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android ver 10 (if you need other sys info let me know).  I am not a subscribed.   I uninstalled and re-installed, and that didn't resolve issue.   I can see and edit the notes on my Windows laptop.

• Like 2
On 10/5/2023 at 9:35 PM, pjbeee said:

Saved some IMPORTANT info to a note and ONLY THE TITLE survived. Body info was completely missing.

Luckily I still had the data, so I needed to re-enter it.

Evernote needs an option to SAVE and REFRESH a note which could be used optionally. Self-explanatory: It should save the note and refresh the screen to show it's saved.

I confirm this happens to me A LOT! It is probable that many times I don't even notice and just quietly lose some text! I type something in the note on my phone and probably don't tap the checkmark (which does force save I presume...), then do something else and later I go to Evernote and notice that this text I was typing before is just missing there! Seems like the autosave sometimes does not happen. Now I try to remember to always tap that green check...

• Level 5*
On 10/12/2023 at 11:59 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you can give us some more information about your devices / OS / Evernote version(s) and whether or not you are a subscriber maybe we can suggest some possible fixes?  To begin with restarts / reinstalls and avoiding Apple or Google log-ins are usually helpful.  I'm certainly not having any issues logging in on any device,  and while there have been a few complaints about the issue,  there seem to have been less than a dozen in total,  most of which are now fixed...

I'm seeing the same issue after having subscribed the to Evernote service for 10 years (without issue). I'm seeing this unending loading on several computers now. This issue seems to be a growing concern and perhaps Evernote should take this issue seriously and try to resolve it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/19/2023 at 4:55 PM, datavet said:

This issue seems to be a growing concern and perhaps Evernote should take this issue seriously and try to resolve it.

Maybe get in touch with Support? (Who are not us - mainly other users here...)

I have the exact same problem, the internet connection is working fine but evernote is not showing the note

I tried with microsoft one note and it is working perfectly fine.

Apparently there this app is not supported anymore on Android :(

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Joeer said:

this app is not supported anymore on Android :(

I'm currently using it on three Android devices.  Have you tried checking your account in a browser by signing in to Evernote.com?

• Level 5
16 hours ago, Joeer said:

I have the exact same problem, the internet connection is working fine but evernote is not showing the note

I tried with microsoft one note and it is working perfectly fine.

Apparently there this app is not supported anymore on Android :(

As I noted over a month ago, when I see this happen, it's annoying (and far too common), but easy to correct by using the back arrow at top left to leave the note, and then re-opening it. Does this work for you?

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Joeer said:

opening of a note 2xs is not normal. 

Why is it not fixed? 

Hi.  We're mainly other users here,  so while I agree it's not optimal I have no clue why it's not fixed.  If you're having this issue,  I'd suggest you contact Support and share your experience - it may help.

Hi, I've been having the same issue since yesterday when I've updated the app. Until then it was working perfectly fine. Now it only shows the thinking arrow when I try to open an existing note. 

I have tried all the ideas/ solutions suggested here but nothing works. 

App version is above 10

Using a Huawei mate2pro, Android 10. 

If there are any new ideas I could try please let me know. 

Thanks. 

Hello, for me the problem is still present. No fix from support 😞

Evernote is fine on my Android smartphone (Galaxy S10, Android 12 update 1/10/23)

Problem on this tablet (Galaxy Tab S4, Android 10, update 22/07/22).

Is it an Android version problem ?

Best regards

I just did an update of evernote. Install 10.57.2.

It is even worse: crash twice when I only read a note!!!

Hello, for me the problem is still present. No fix from support 😞

Evernote is fine on my Android smartphone (Galaxy S10, Android 12 update 1/10/23)

Problem on this tablet (Galaxy Tab S4, Android 10, update 22/07/22).

Is it an Android version problem ?

Best regards

On 11/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, Roxsea said:

Hi, I've been having the same issue since yesterday when I've updated the app. Until then it was working perfectly fine. Now it only shows the thinking arrow when I try to open an existing note. 

I have tried all the ideas/ solutions suggested here but nothing works. 

App version is above 10

Using a Huawei mate2pro, Android 10. 

If there are any new ideas I could try please let me know. 

Thanks. 

Hello, previous app version, 8.13.3.I didn't have this problem. Does anyone know how I downgrade to this version?? 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Roxsea said:

Does anyone know how I downgrade to this version??

It's possible to sideload an APK file from a third-party online repository,  but it's not supported,  advised or very secure...

• Thanks 1

I suggest that you report all issues to the Evernote people. Seems like every other time I open the Windows client, there's an update.

This leaves me thinking that they are serious (for a welcome change) about getting this thing right.

I hope I'm not wrong about this!!!!

As do many of us, I live in Evernote so much of the time, and have found the desktop, browser and Android versions to be improved (Windows 10 / Pixel 6 Pro).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's possible to sideload an APK file from a third-party online repository,  but it's not supported,  advised or very secure...

Thank you so much for your suggestion, this is the only way I managed to get back into my notes, read them and use them. This version never crashed or had any issues for me. I appreciate your honest suggestion! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Happy to say I'm not posting here to complain.

This thread hasn't been appended-to in some time, which is a good sign.

I was initially not pleased with the price increase, given how buggy Evernote was, and also wondering if the new owner was simply milking the user base for profit.

I was investigating other options; then I got a discount offer and renewed Evernote.

Seems to me now that the product continues to improve, with a seemingly endless stream of updates/patches - none of which has damaged/lost any of my data FAICT.

So here's hoping that the Evernote team keeps up the good work. So far I'm quite pleased with where the product is going.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue on Android, the notes when opened shows the loading for a long time and it then says Notes Unavailable.

I've tried going back and re-opening it, cleared app data/cache but it refuses to load my notes.

There is no issue on the Windows app and the web app.

Red, I hope this is only an occasional issue. 

I have recently noticed this a couple of times on Android. But typically closing the app (sweeping it off the screen) once or twice and the note comes up. Interestingly I can see part of the note in the search results that bring it up. There is usually no issue with it, but I have seen it once or twice in the last few weeks.

This -could- simply be an Internet glitch, where the data is "stuck" somewhere between server and user.

This remains much less an issue with current versions (they are still issuing regular updates) than it was in the past.

I am not trying to be a yes-man for the Evernote team. I really find Evernote invaluable, and hope it continues to improve. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, pjbeee said:

Red, I hope this is only an occasional issue. 

I have recently noticed this a couple of times on Android. But typically closing the app (sweeping it off the screen) once or twice and the note comes up. Interestingly I can see part of the note in the search results that bring it up. There is usually no issue with it, but I have seen it once or twice in the last few weeks.

This -could- simply be an Internet glitch, where the data is "stuck" somewhere between server and user.

This remains much less an issue with current versions (they are still issuing regular updates) than it was in the past.

I am not trying to be a yes-man for the Evernote team. I really find Evernote invaluable, and hope it continues to improve. 

Unfortunately, this issue happens to me always for Android.

I have already tried what you suggested and even more, none of them helped.

Yes, I can also see the note preview in the note list.

• Level 5*
Just now, RedAISkye said:

Unfortunately, this issue happens to me always for Android.

Have you tried uninstalling the app,  powering the device off and back on,  then reinstalling?

10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Have you tried uninstalling the app,  powering the device off and back on,  then reinstalling?

Yup, already tried that as well.

As you can see in the screenshot, It always shows me that error after it loads for a long time.

Screenshot_20240109-205416_Evernote.png

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Is this an especially large note,  or one that has lots of images?

I have two notes which contains 1 image with decent resolution size but their actual file size is very small.

But, notes with no image also aren't loading.

Edit: Notes only loaded after I tried opening it with Cloudflare WARP enabled. Now it is loading even after I disable it, weird.

Edited by RedAISkye
Added more text
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, RedAISkye said:

Now it is loading even after I disable it, weird.

Yup - definitely the applicable technical term;  hate to say it,  but maybe report this to Support if/ when you have time?  I wouldn't expect an early response(!),  but it might help avoid a repeat in future...  Evernote were playing games with the servers last year,  so maybe this is just fallout from something similar now.  

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yup - definitely the applicable technical term;  hate to say it,  but maybe report this to Support if/ when you have time?  I wouldn't expect an early response(!),  but it might help avoid a repeat in future...  Evernote were playing games with the servers last year,  so maybe this is just fallout from something similar now.  

I tried to contact their Support but there's no option for it for free users which is the reason I'm here.

• Level 5*

Ahh sorry - you can feed it back to Evernote via the Support link in the Android app.  It's unlikely you'll get any comeback,  but they will at least know about it in a more timely way than by an employee reading through the forums...

10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Ahh sorry - you can feed it back to Evernote via the Support link in the Android app.  It's unlikely you'll get any comeback,  but they will at least know about it in a more timely way than by an employee reading through the forums...

That feedback button does nothing for me 😂

For my Samsung Galaxy S8+, running (the somewhat older) Android 9, the trick was manually updating the system component "Android System WebView" (in Play Store). After this, the problem disappeared and the Evernote app is snappier than ever!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Jan Z said:

For my Samsung Galaxy S8+, running (the somewhat older) Android 9, the trick was manually updating the system component "Android System WebView" (in Play Store). After this, the problem disappeared and the Evernote app is snappier than ever!

I tried that on my Samsung Galaxy M51 but it doesn't fix anything for me.

Even to sync my notes on both my PC and Android, I need to enable Cloudflare WARP, once it's synced, I can disable it.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Jan Z said:

Android System Webview is a common cause of issues. Always worth ensuring it is up to date. Thanks for the reminder.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue! The app loads but when trying to load a note, I get the loading indicator forever and eventually it says the note cannot be displayed.

My main device (OnePlus 7T running Android 10) has the latest version of the Evernote app, and I have all Google services and WebView updates available as of this date.

I have also tried using the app on a newer device (Galaxy S20) running Android 12 with the same horrible result.

I will also note that I have tried to roll back through the last year's worth of Evernote app releases and this issue is present in all of them.

And yes, I have cleared data and uninstalled the app between each round of testing.

This is a real show stopper, as my main device is provided by my workplace and administrated by them. I do not have any other options.

I have been using Evernote for over a decade and have maintained a paid subscription most of that time.

I am a software developer and have noticed a sharp downturn in the stability and functionality of Evernote's software since the company was purchased recently.

I know there are growing pains in any acquisition, however the greatest asset to any company are it's user base... It's important not to lose sight of that!

There are dozens of forum posts about this issue, whole Reddit threads filled with frustrated users, and very little in the way of resolution or action on the part of Evernote.

How do we fix this?! Do I have to pull the code and run logcat on it to isolate the issue? Do the Evernote developers not have a team dedicated team for this anymore?

I am strongly considering taking my years of notes and dedicated patronage elsewhere, it's sure been a long time...

Forgot to note, I have updated Webview several times... to no avail.

I did run logcat, and it does look like the Webview render process stalls when attempting to load the note. 

The real point here is that quality control and compatibility testing and user agent detection within the app should be tested and compatible with a range of Webview versions, not just targeting the latest Webview releases. 

Users with devices that run various previous implementations of Webview likely accommodate a very large portion of Evernote's user base.

I know this is a user forum, but Evernote staff do read these posts, which beg an important question to the Evernote team...

Do you really want to lose all of those customers?

HERE IS A DEFINITIVE SOLUTION FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT WANT TO WAIT FOR EVERNOTE DEVS TO FIX THEIR WEBVIEW SUPPORT BUGS:

This is especially effective on devices running anything below Android 10 (actually Android 5 through Android 9). It should be noted that *most* devices running Android 10 and newer use Chrome for WebView by default, so updating Chrome should be a first task for troubleshooting on newer devices. This means you will need to have a recent version of the Chrome app installed on your device.

Enable the "developer options" menu in your Android system settings (google this if you don't know how).

Go to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> WebView implementation

Select "Chrome"

Now your Android will be using the WebView implementation that ships with Chrome, instead of the likely dated version included in your Android OS.

Evernote will now work like a dream.

There are also other solutions to this that involve installing an updated "Android System Webview" app from the Chrome store, or using 3rd party WebView implementation from developers like Bromite (google "Bromite WebView" to learn more about this). However, many of the Android OS builds shipped by device OEMs do not allow users to update Android's system WebView and the updates will not even appear on the Play Store on those builds. 

It would still be best for Evernote team to update their code base to include various WebView legacy installations, because a lot of devices (especially Android 9 and earlier) have WebView shipped as part of the OS ROM. Also, a lot of these devices are lacking OS updates or support and are stuck with legacy version of the Android OS. Let's face it, not everybody has a brand new device and a lot of users have to use legacy devices due to their workplace restrictions or country's import regulations...

13 hours ago, digital3v0 said:

HERE IS A DEFINITIVE SOLUTION FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT WANT TO WAIT FOR EVERNOTE DEVS TO FIX THEIR WEBVIEW SUPPORT BUGS:

This is especially effective on devices running anything below Android 10 (actually Android 5 through Android 9). It should be noted that *most* devices running Android 10 and newer use Chrome for WebView by default, so updating Chrome should be a first task for troubleshooting on newer devices. This means you will need to have a recent version of the Chrome app installed on your device.

Enable the "developer options" menu in your Android system settings (google this if you don't know how).

Go to Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> WebView implementation

Select "Chrome"

Now your Android will be using the WebView implementation that ships with Chrome, instead of the likely dated version included in your Android OS.

Evernote will now work like a dream.

There are also other solutions to this that involve installing an updated "Android System Webview" app from the Chrome store, or using 3rd party WebView implementation from developers like Bromite (google "Bromite WebView" to learn more about this). However, many of the Android OS builds shipped by device OEMs do not allow users to update Android's system WebView and the updates will not even appear on the Play Store on those builds. 

It would still be best for Evernote team to update their code base to include various WebView legacy installations, because a lot of devices (especially Android 9 and earlier) have WebView shipped as part of the OS ROM. Also, a lot of these devices are lacking OS updates or support and are stuck with legacy version of the Android OS. Let's face it, not everybody has a brand new device and a lot of users have to use legacy devices due to their workplace restrictions or country's import regulations...

The issue occurs on Desktop app as well, so I doubt it has anything to do with it since it does nothing for me even after everything is updated.

I think this is just a connectivity issue with Evernote which is the reason Cloudflare WARP fixes it.