Viewing notes is changing when it was last updated

In the last 24 hours I'm finding that if I view an old note on the Evernote android app, it then updates the note as if I had made an edit. That means that lots of old notes that I've simply viewed and not edited are now showing as the most recently updated notes, even though none of the contents have been changed and it hasn't been saved. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2023 at 10:23 AM, agsteele said:

This does appear to be so. I have Edit Protection enabled but viewing a note gets an update.

I suggest you open a support ticket. I plan to do so.

Have you solved the issue?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This issue is happening AGAIN in the MacOS app:

10.67.3-mac-mas-public (20231130204442)
Editor: v176.32.0
Service: v1.80.3

(and possibly earlier versions). PLEASE SORT THIS ISSUE OUT AS IT IS MESSING UP ALL MY LAST EDITED DATES FOR NOTES FROM YEARS AGO which I'd like to preserve. I am now scared of viewing old notes because of this issue.

• Level 5

No "please, please" here, just other users. If you want to tell "please, please" to EN, you need to issue a support ticket.

Meanwhile we regard using capital letters and the like as screaming at your fellow users. Use it with moderation.

EN desktop 10.67.4 positively solved the problem.

It's available for download from the EN website.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sort of weird, because usually the mobile apps behave similar. No issue on iOS, EN 10.61.1.

I cannot confirm this. I am using iOS 10.61.1 as well and still have this problem. Every time I view a note without editing it, it updates to the current date/time 🤪

• Evernote Expert

Well it doesn't seem to be happening for me on Android. I checked a note I created last Friday. Just viewing the note did not update the date. Even taking the edit button, not making any changes, and taking the green check mark made no differences to the dates.

So something strange going on for some users but not all. v10.60.2

Indeed weird! Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm trying to find a pattern but it seems to be random. It does happen every single time I open a file that's within a note (an audio file or a pdf for example) but also randomly when I just view a note or copy some words from a note.

I have submitted a ticket but haven't even gotten an acknowledgement receipt.

[Edit: I got an autoreply from EN that they're restructuring their CS system and it may take longer than usual to reply to a ticket]

Edited by Maria Sp.
update
  • Level 5
15 minutes ago, Maria Sp. said:

Indeed weird! Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm trying to find a pattern but it seems to be random. It does happen every single time I open a file that's within a note (an audio file or a pdf for example) but also randomly when I just view a note or copy some words from a note.

I have submitted a ticket but haven't even gotten an acknowledgement receipt.

Same here -- random, fairly rare, but never welcome. Let us know if you get anything back from the ticket.

• Like 1

Same here on Android with EN 10.61.1. Cannot reproduce what triggers it. It does not always happen - but too often, that read-only notes get a new modification date. Let's see what support will tell.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 8:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

EN desktop 10.67.4 positively solved the problem.

It's available for download from the EN website.

Nope, it's happening for me on Windows client (updated yesterday, 10.68.3) and has always happened on v10. This is one reason why I ran Legacy until forced onto v10. Other reasons include not being able to manually change the updated date.

Happens when just clicking on the note in the list, not even clicking into the note window, really annoying and wreaks havoc with my mental system

• Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert

It was resolved back in April but it seems has returned as an issue more recently. The reasons why the updated cannot be manually changed have been discussed many times in other threads.  I'd hope for a resolution on the substantive issue in the next release.

• Like 1

I'm hoping too. I was using Legacy until this past summer, so I was unaware that this had occurred before. But like @4d4m it's driving me crazy the way it's messing up my notes...

Anyway, last I heard from EN Support re my ticket, they were working on it and would get back to me (about a month ago but I know things are slow in December in every industry).

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just happened to me on 2 consecutive brief viewings of notes in the Android app. On the plus side, the recent notes in the Home view refreshed instantly to put the not-really-updated notes at the head of the list. 😅

Hmmm. And then the next time I looked they'd gone back to their proper places. What the absolute what?

• Confused 1

I also have this problem on my mac, and I am up to date.  This is very annoying since I have a large number of notes and many times I am just looking back to see something that I discussed year's ago.  This needs to be solved

• Like 1

Same issue here, I have been forced to update from the legacy (which was just perfect or at least better than current version). If I were them I would just stop updating and just work on a new release to upload when they finally feel ready...this way I just feel like a paying beta tester!

• Like 1
On 1/2/2024 at 4:36 PM, agsteele said:

It was resolved back in April but it seems has returned as an issue more recently. The reasons why the updated cannot be manually changed have been discussed many times in other threads.  I'd hope for a resolution on the substantive issue in the next release.

If you have links to a definitive source I'd appreciate it. My searching has turned up only one thread which didn't have a convincing reason; in summary not deemed a priority, which is very different to it can't be done at all. Especially when every version up to 6 (and 7 on Mac) and Legacy managed it perfectly fine. 

Also changing the updated date when tags are amended. To my mind this is just bad design. The note content is one thing, the tags are metadata, and these two things should be treated separately.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, 4d4m said:

If you have links to a definitive source I'd appreciate it. My searching has turned up only one thread which didn't have a convincing reason; in summary not deemed a priority, which is very different to it can't be done at all. Especially when every version up to 6 (and 7 on Mac) and Legacy managed it perfectly fine. 

I really don't have time to do the research for you. There have been many discussions of the issue. Is it right or wrong? Options to workaround. Why does it work this way now as opposed to the way it worked in the so-called Legacy apps. There has been no reason presented by Evernote for this way of working.  So you'll need to search in the forums or with your favourite search engine(s) and see what you can haul in.

20 hours ago, agsteele said:

I really don't have time to do the research for you. There have been many discussions of the issue. Is it right or wrong? Options to workaround. Why does it work this way now as opposed to the way it worked in the so-called Legacy apps. There has been no reason presented by Evernote for this way of working.  So you'll need to search in the forums or with your favourite search engine(s) and see what you can haul in.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It wasn't a case of doing "my research for me" but as you'd obviously read many such posts I thought you might be able to quickly link one. In any case I think I misinterpreted your post slightly.

I took  "The reasons why the updated cannot be manually changed have been discussed many times in other threads" to mean there was a definitive answer from Evernote which has been stated and discussed many times, but what seems you meant is the fact that it cannot be changed has been discussed many times. The rest I've seen so far is speculation. And that leads me to another point

I realise that you and the other prolific posters are just users and not employees but it would be reasonable for someone coming onto a forum hosted on evernote.com to believe that posters tagged as Evernote Expert complete with the green Evernote logo might actually be speaking for the company, would it not?  This just raises the question why Evernote spokespeople are not posting on here. They don't seem very present and I have to say this doesn't give a great impression of prioritising customer satisfaction.

• Like 1

Just a sort-of an "update" I got from Evernote Support:

"We confirm that our team is still running some verifications on what you kindly reported. This process might require some technical time, but rest assured that I'll get back to you as soon as I receive feedback."

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Finally forced to update from legacy versions, and testing out v10.x on a Macbook this afternoon.  I was just spending a little time poking around and testing things out.  Immediately I find a few practical usability features missing, and then encounter this rather significant data management one.

Opening a note is not editing a note.  And people wonder why users stick with legacy...

• Level 5
8 minutes ago, msg5 said:

Finally forced to update from legacy versions, and testing out v10.x on a Macbook this afternoon.  I was just spending a little time poking around and testing things out.  Immediately I find a few practical usability features missing, and then encounter this rather significant data management one.

Opening a note is not editing a note.  And people wonder why users stick with legacy...

You're posting this in the Android forum. It might be more useful to post in the Mac forum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/719-evernote-for-mac-issues-versions-100-and-above/.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just to mention: Looks like solved in Mac 10.71.2.

Likewise in Windows 10.71.2 ... almost. I looked at a series of very old notes, all requiring updating to the RTE structure, and none of them got marked as updated, so yay. Then I looked at a somewhat more complicated one that has a table and an image in it, and it got updated without being changed (by me). So, as always ... what the what?

Fantastic news! Today's updates for Windows and for Android solved the issue! I hope it's not just me - please check and confirm if it's solved for you too!

I'm so happy right now!!! 🤩

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, Maria Sp. said:

Fantastic news! Today's updates for Windows and for Android solved the issue! I hope it's not just me - please check and confirm if it's solved for you too!

I'm so happy right now!!! 🤩

Yay! Seems to be fixed for me too (though it's always been intermittent and unpredictable). To confirm, this is Android v. 10.65.2, right?

3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yay! Seems to be fixed for me too (though it's always been intermittent and unpredictable). To confirm, this is Android v. 10.65.2, right?

For me, it's v. 10.66 as of yesterday. :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Maria Sp. said:

For me, it's v. 10.66 as of yesterday. :)

OK, I just checked and got the 10.66 update. I'll keep an eye on it to see if the false updating bug has been squashed, but it sounds like it finally has.

• Like 1