Save as Template gone

• Level 5

Works for me on my Mac - the menu item is in the 3 dots menu, or in the Note menu.

How many own templates have you got ? It's limited to 20. If you are still below, try to log out of your account, and back in.

I have had the exact same problem on the same timeline as you. As of a few days ago, I can no longer save any notes as template. I have looked up and tried all the fixes such as adding a heading etc. This is really inconvenient and it seems to have coincided with the recent update. I have a paid Evernote Personal subscription. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, Charlie Becker said:

I have had the exact same problem on the same timeline as you. As of a few days ago, I can no longer save any notes as template. I have looked up and tried all the fixes such as adding a heading etc. This is really inconvenient and it seems to have coincided with the recent update. I have a paid Evernote Personal subscription. 

Welcome to the forums. I don't use templates myself, but I just checked this out. I have a Professional subscription, and I also cannot convert a note to a template by any means or trick. Typing, header, title--Save as template remains grayed out. I have never saved any templates of my own; there is a section in the Template Gallery called My Templates, but it just consists of 9 templates from the main gallery, not ones that I created. (They may be ones I tested out awhile ago.) So yes, it seems to be broken. @Charlie Becker, your best bet would be to report this to support (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new). There's nothing that any of us fellow users here can do other than confirm the problem. Likewise @salgud.

• Like 1

I have done some testing and found very inconsistent and confusing results across 3 platforms. "Save as Template" is there and working on my iPad, in theory. When I try and use the template, it is not listed with the EN templates. There is a "More templates" option in the list of templates but I can't access it because I can pull it onto the screen enough to see it but not enough to tap on it! It was grayed out in the online version until I created one on the iPad, and it was there and working again briefly. It is grayed out again now. It is not there at all on my Mac. The one I did manage to create on the iPad is not available on any platform, so effectively useless. 

• Level 5

I've just re-tested also. I started in the Web, creating a new note and then going to the ... menu, where Save as template was again grayed out. But I tried clicking on it anyway -- and it worked! My test note could be turned into a template, and the template could be used to create a new note on the Android mobile app. I did the same there (Save as template for a new note was not grayed out), and then also in the Windows desktop app, where this time Save as template was not grayed out and was active. All the new templates were accessible for creating new notes on all 3 platforms.

So possibly whatever was wrong is fixed. Or maybe just clicking on the grayed-out option (for me) reactivated it. :huh:

I am migrating to Notes when my subscription is up for renewal. Evernote, you have six months to hire coders to get this app as it should be. I prefer to type and read in size 10 font but constantly have to resize because there is no way to create a default font. I try to create a template, and the help instructions do not say anything about having to type something. I type something and "Save as Template" is still grayed out.

Notes is free and much improved, so why pay for an app that tries to do too much and so does little well.

• Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, salgud said:

I have done some testing and found very inconsistent and confusing results across 3 platforms. "Save as Template" is there and working on my iPad, in theory. When I try and use the template, it is not listed with the EN templates. There is a "More templates" option in the list of templates but I can't access it because I can pull it onto the screen enough to see it but not enough to tap on it! It was grayed out in the online version until I created one on the iPad, and it was there and working again briefly. It is grayed out again now. It is not there at all on my Mac. The one I did manage to create on the iPad is not available on any platform, so effectively useless. 

Could I ask which subscription plan you are on?

4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Could I ask which subscription plan you are on?

Evernote Personal. The fee went from AU$50 to AU$71 from 2021 to 2022.

I was finally able to save as a template, but no idea how to make it default.

All I want is to type in size 10 font when I open an existing or a new note, when I add a row or column to a table, ... without having to copy-paste-overwrite or to manually adjust the font size. Make this happen by December 2023 or I'll move my folders and notes to Notes.

• Evernote Expert

Thanks for the information. Sadly, the idea I had isn't possible with a Personal account.

As for threats to leave, you need to communicate with Evernote. These forums are primarily user-to-user support. Staff are only here infrequently. 

You can open a support ticket to make your point.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
39 minutes ago, salgud said:

Well, it must be paid then because I have created and used them in the past. Unfortunately, there's no indication anywhere of what my status is. 

If you haven't paid recently then perhaps you were on a paid plan in the past, but having not paid recently you are now on a Free subscription. That would mean that in the past you would have been able to save templates but now not so.

• Evernote Expert

It seems to be less straightforward than it never works...  I just created a new note. Gave it a title and then added random text and I can save it as a template.

Untitled-1.thumb.png.65a9196e994610c2cac4bfc4d87cc8e6.png

Remove the random text and the ability to save as a template remained. If I then added a tag to the note the ability to save as a template was removed. Removing the tag did not restore the save as template capacity.

About half the new notes I tried worked like this.  But others just wouldn't save as template.

Please add your voice to this bug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees

Looks like we have a client fix for it already and I can't reproduce any more on the internal build with the fix. I'll push for this to get into the next release.

• Thanks 5

I am just trialling evernote personal and only want to confirm the subscription if I have use of the template. If not, the app is not much use to me. Can you tell me when will this be fixed? Also, Can you create a template from a PDF document or does it have to be word? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 5/21/2023 at 4:50 AM, lisaBrice said:

I am just trialling evernote personal and only want to confirm the subscription if I have use of the template. If not, the app is not much use to me. Can you tell me when will this be fixed? Also, Can you create a template from a PDF document or does it have to be word? 

Hi, and welcome to the forums, and to Evernote. We are other users here, so we don't know any more than what @Scott T. said recently:

On 5/15/2023 at 3:03 PM, Scott T. said:

Looks like we have a client fix for it already and I can't reproduce any more on the internal build with the fix. I'll push for this to get into the next release.

I did find once that even when "Save as template" was grayed out it still worked (but usually not). Also, templates are created from text and formatting entered into a note in Evernote. A PDF or Word document can't be directly converted to an Evernote template; it would have to be copied and pasted into a note (as far as I know).

• Ex Employees

FWIW, I seemed to have found a workaround while testing the bug and fix. If you edit the note, then leave and come back to that note, it should enable the template button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/22/2023 at 1:05 PM, Scott T. said:

FWIW, I seemed to have found a workaround while testing the bug and fix. If you edit the note, then leave and come back to that note, it should enable the template button.

Thanks.  It has to be a text change.  I had tried title and tried changing color of headers without triggering the ability to save.  Adding a letter to the text (and deleting it) and going to another note and back does work.

I would note that colors and fonts are not preserved in the saved template any more.  (Nor duplicates or in the display of pinned notes).  I have a ticket for the latter two with Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...