Tried going to v10.55 from Legacy 6.25.2. Lots of issues!

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

Sticking with the Legacy app unless folks have answers to these things:

1) Several saved searched/shortcuts are missing notes that exist in the Legacy app

2) Warnings at the top of the list after clicking a shortcut say "Invalid Notebook" and "Invalid Tag" (attached)

3) Can't seem to sort by tag

I got this far and bailed. I don't have time to sort through a bunch of bugs if the Legacy app works just fine. I'm just worried Evernote will ditch that at some point. Does the new version work well for most people?

Capture.jpg

Interesting. Well the searches work fine on the legacy app and the Android current version. The new Windows version has different rules? 

I guess I wouldn't be surprised as the Android version had similar issues until recently. I avoided upgrading until they were fixed. 

• Level 5

No, the rules are the same.

Since you have not posted much, upper/lowercase were a first guess.

When I detected differences between legacy and v10, I found out that the legacy app needed attention. Repairing the local legacy database and recreating the search index with the advanced options solved the differences for me.

• Level 5

For the backup I run TimeMachine on the Mac, which includes the database folder.

The advanced options are hidden. If I remember it correctly it was holding down the ctrl key when opening the Help menu. If nothing shows, try alt/opt.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help. Neither of these worked.

I also don't see where you can edit a saved search to see what might be giving the app fits. You can only edit the title.

This new version is really lacking IMO. I hope the legacy one stays around

• Level 5

There are small differences in the handling. I think you should take some time to familiarize yourself, and you can come back here asking.

EN runs a very good YT channel, up to date, with a ton of videos. Many are really short and explain exactly one feature. You can get the link at YT, copy it and save it into a note. It will replay the YT video right in the note, no need to go to YT to watch it.

About saved searches: Run the saved search one time. You get the result. Modify it, and save it as a new saved search. This makes sure that if you have modified something in the meantime (like erasing a tag that was used in the old search), you get a working new / edited search.

About legacy: We can use it as it is. This means that it lacks more and more features, with each added item in the new version. Example for saved searches: There is the new Home Screen, working as personal Dashboard. If you have saved searches you need frequently, you can add them to a filtered widget, giving you instant access to the results.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

It is true that v10 of Evernote is different in its ways of working to the so-called Legacy version.  I think that all those using v10 will confess that it took a little time to work out how to achieve what we achieved in Legacy.  Often it is different orders of actions.

Will Legacy survive? My guess is No. It may not disappear tomorrow but it will steadily decline.  Already we see changes in MacOS have created problems for Legacy. Those who are more technical have mostly managed to work around the issues but it is simply indicative that no repairs are being delivered for Legacy and, eventually, something will break.

WE're expecting changes to the sync process for v10 very soon. It will include Real Time Editing which has been in beta test for awhile.  Will that create problems for Legacy? Possibly. For sure Legacy does not and will not support RTE.

So switching to v10 while you have the opportunity to tackle it at your leisure is likely to be a good way forward.  Waiting until you have to panic because everything suddenly stops working isn't a good plan ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

About saved searches: Run the saved search one time. You get the result. Modify it, and save it as a new saved search. This makes sure that if you have modified something in the meantime (like erasing a tag that was used in the old search), you get a working new / edited search.

Just to add to this. If you want to then delete the old version of the saved search you need to run it and then from the three dots menu choose "Delete saved search". I find it rather counterintuitive that I have to run a saved search before I can delete it. Also note that if you have added a saved search to shortcuts, deleting the shortcut does not delete the saved search (which does seem logical to me)

• Thanks 1

I understand v10 is the supposed future, but it is slow to the point of unusable for me, and the lack of sort by tag is a showstopper for me. I open Legacy after using v10, and it screams in comparison.

I'll keep using the legacy version as long as it exists I guess.

Thanks for the responses.

16 hours ago, Chickaloon said:

I understand v10 is the supposed future, but it is slow to the point of unusable for me, and the lack of sort by tag is a showstopper for me. I open Legacy after using v10, and it screams in comparison.

I'll keep using the legacy version as long as it exists I guess.

I've found that a SSD (solid state drive) vs an HDD (hard disk drive) can make a world of difference for version 10. I have a refurbished Windows 10 computer manufactured in 2013 and it runs Evernote version 10 pretty fast. Not as fast as Legacy, but fast enough for it not to be a bother. That Windows 10 computer has an SSD in it (that I'm sure was added as part of the refurb). Also worth noting that it only as 12 MB or RAM.

I then got a newer-ish ~2019 Windows 11 refurb computer (I think Windows 11 was added later) and it only had an HDD. The whole thing, including Evernote, was pretty slow despite having 32 GB of RAM. I upgraded to the SSD myself and now everything runs like butter -- including Evernote 10.

YMMV of course, but I think @PinkElephant is right, Plan A is not sustainable for much longer.

See a related recent thread: 

• Like 1

@Boot17 I have a Lenovo P51 with 64GB of RAM and 2 SSD drives. The thing can run Photoshop, Lightroom, and a Linux VM without breaking a sweat. I don't think my machine is the issue.

My plan B at this point, unless V10 improves, is a different notes platform, unfortunately. I look about every 6 months, and there are several with would be a pain to move to, but not as painful as v10 is right now.

Hrmm. Dunno what else to suggest then but I wonder if something else is at play as  I’m running V10 fine on a 2013 PC (as well as on a newer MacBook Pro and Air and iPad and iPhone).

Good luck with Plan B when that time comes. 

• Level 5
  • Solution
20 hours ago, Chickaloon said:

Given the rest of this discussion, I have to wonder whether the slowness has to do with the constant sync. Maybe there is some hope that the new sync structure being rolled out will help.

• Like 1

Yup. Probably Electron or similar platform and its usual sluggishness 

23 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

There are simply two reasons for slowness:

• If EN seems frozen for some time -> Sync (on slow HW and iNet)
  • If EN seems sluggish -> stylish new user interface 😉

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Chickaloon said:

Yup. Probably Electron or similar platform and its usual sluggishness 

Yes, that is the most likely culprit--I should have included it. And with that we get into the area of tradeoffs. It's not so much the "stylish" interface as the uniform interface that's at issue, since it is made possible (as I understand it) by running a uniform codebase inside an Electron framework to interact with all the OSes. If you only ever use Evernote on one system, whether that's Windows or iOS or whatever, the Electron penalty will seem unreasonable, and indeed it might make sense to find a different service, since if you don't need to take and manage notes across multiple OS platforms you're not using a major feature of EN. I use EN on both Windows and Android, and I'm willing to put up with Electron delays to give me a familiar interface in both environments.

• Level 5

The decision for a framework has another benefit: The provider of the framework will look after all necessary OS adaptions. Modern OSes get frequent updates, to keep in touch and to harden them against threats.

With legacy we all experienced that updating was not for granted. I remember being just a week or so before a MacOS update was scheduled, and nothing yet from EN to bring the client into sync with the new OS.

This has changed completely - the framework will update in the background, and that will cover the OS side. So even when the update cycles of the platforms are different, the app will not show that on one platform a major update has just happened, and on another it is due in 2 months time. The app can roll out new features at the same time, even if the underlying OSes are developing on their own pace.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The decision for a framework has another benefit: The provider of the framework will look after all necessary OS adaptions. Modern OSes get frequent updates, to keep in touch and to harden them against threats.

With legacy we all experienced that updating was not for granted. I remember being just a week or so before a MacOS update was scheduled, and nothing yet from EN to bring the client into sync with the new OS.

This has changed completely - the framework will update in the background, and that will cover the OS side. So even when the update cycles of the platforms are different, the app will not show that on one platform a major update has just happened, and on another it is due in 2 months time. The app can roll out new features at the same time, even if the underlying OSes are developing on their own pace.

That's great if the app is usable, which for me right now it is not. Maybe that will change. If it doesn't, my subscription will end in favor of something else.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, Chickaloon said:

That's great if the app is usable, which for me right now it is not. Maybe that will change. If it doesn't, my subscription will end in favor of something else.

Am I right that this has to do with speed (which different users currently experience in varying ways) and inability to sort by tag? That last has been a problem for others (you can find at least one thread dedicated to it). Others here use tags more than I do and can comment more wisely, but have you tried the filter feature, in combination with searches for instance?

14 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Am I right that this has to do with speed (which different users currently experience in varying ways) and inability to sort by tag? That last has been a problem for others (you can find at least one thread dedicated to it). Others here use tags more than I do and can comment more wisely, but have you tried the filter feature, in combination with searches for instance?

I use tags heavily, and have a to-do priority system based on them. For example, active to-dos are tagged:
1- Now, 2-Next, 3-In Progress, 4-Later, 5-Waiting on others

I have shortcut saved searches that bring up each list based on those tags. I also have a rule in the saved search for 1-Now that includes any notes that don't have any tags, so I can quickly dump new stuff in there and it shows up on that list to be categorized further. This rule has always worked in Windows Legacy, but there was a long standing bug in the new Android version (non-legacy) where this search didn't work. That has been fixed as of my latest testing I started last week. For more than a year I didn't update my Android app because it would break that search.

Within each main 1-5 grouping, I have secondary tags like @Email, @Call, @Errand, etc. That way if I have time for phone calls, I can quickly sort the group and see all the things I need to follow-up with a phone call. Same with @Errands. If I am leaving the building, I can quickly see what I can do when I'm out. Without the tag sorting, I can't quickly sort by those "method" @-tags.

I could create additional shortcuts for each combination of Priority and Method tag, but my shortcut list is already long, and I already have to scroll on my Android widget to find them.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

That’s what tasks were build for - make notes actionable.

Nope, tried tasks. Didn't work for me. Too complex, reminded me of Asana, which is also overly complicated for what I need. Sorry.

It's simple @PinkElephant, make tags sortable and get performance usable and it's back in the game. Otherwise no dice.

• Level 5

Funny, one user talking to another to make tags sortable again. Frankly, sorting tags requires to bend the tagging in a certain way that was propagated in the past by some ninjas - I think TSW was one of these GTD subreligions. When you are a joyful follower of such a cult, you need tag sorting. 

Nothing for me, I use my own method of tag creation. And it wouldn’t sort well. So you have a good reason to contact support and explain to them why you direly miss sorting by tags. I don’t …

Well, @PinkElephant, once you start discounting other's use cases and legit concerns about performance, your posts become unhelpful, and show that either you're an employee (in which case disrespecting paying customers), or a fanboy, defending against all comers. Either way I guess this thread is over.

• Level 5

Employees carry the word „Staff“ on their forum badge. See any ? Nope. Case closed.

I am absolutely not saying there must never be sorting by tags again. I just say I don’t need them. I am neutral about whether this little detail exists or not on the UI. It wouldn’t harm my usage if it were, but I won’t shed a tear if it isn’t.

So go and fight your own struggle to get what you want. Just to mention it: The forum, being user2user is not the place to reach this goal.

Finally about being an EN fan: Sure, if we weren’t, we wouldn’t be here. This does include yourself, fellow fanboy.

• Level 5

If it suits you better, good luck.

Just for you to know: This is a discussion between fellow users. I don't care what software you employ. The information you decide to use something else is for me an information, nothing else. And I don't care either what you do "because of my ..." - it just tells you are quite driven by external influence.

• Level 5

The forum is the forum.

How much value other users found in our mutual postings is quite visible here. Why should anybody be interested you will try something else ? Just go trolling down your chosen path.

• Level 5*
On 5/1/2023 at 4:37 PM, PinkElephant said:

Frankly, sorting tags requires to bend the tagging in a certain way that was propagated in the past by some ninjas - I think TSW was one of these GTD subreligions.

Sorting tags was also  a part of paperless use cases.  Tags like _FY20xx and $tatement combined with companyname sorted well and helped me locate a note from time to time back in the day..

• Thanks 1