I had a $35 a year plan (don't remember what it was called).  I got  an email saying I could upgrade for  cheap price.   I really didn't get any benefit from the upgraded plan so I decided to go back to my $35 a year plan.  Of course I procrastinated and I was one day past my renewal date when I went to downgrade.  It turns out that the $35 a year plan no longer exists and the lowest cost paid plan is $70.  I don't get $70 a year utility from my subscription.  I will most likely be downgrading to free next year when my subscription ends.

I probably would renew at $35 per year.  I intended on emailing my feedback to Evernote, but there is no easily obtained general customer service email address so I posted here in case Evernote cares about feedback from their customers.

My favorite Chinese restaurant closed down in May of 2020.  Not because of Covid or declining sales, but because the shopping center raised the restaurant's rent too high for them to operate profitably.  Two and a half years later, that space is still vacant and the shopping center has lost five more tenants.  Sometimes fast nickels are better than slow dimes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I'm sorry you missed the chance to subscribe at a lower level,  but as a subscriber you can contact Support at any time,  or leave your feedback via one of the apps.  We're mainly other users here,  but an Evernote staffer will see your comments at some time.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

That’s a problem with the grandfathered plans: Once you opt out of them, you can only go to Free, or continue the new subscription.

On the other hand, EN continues to renew the abandoned plans year by year. With other vendors it is „up or out“ at the end of the current subscription period.

Anybody needs to decide whether a subscription is worth the money. If it is, it usually pays for itself, be it in saved time or in improved earnings.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

That’s a problem with the grandfathered plans: Once you opt out of them, you can only go to Free, or continue the new subscription.

Perhaps the problem is with the metaphor. If I'm living with Grandfather, but decide to try out the new apartments across the street, if the rent is too high, I can always go back to Grandfather. But in the software and online services world, if you leave Grandfather for the newer model, you need to hold a funeral. ;)

• Like 1

@srdjr I feel you. I was a Plus user for a long time and that price point served me for a good while. About a year ago, I did upgrade to Personal (knowing there was no going back to Plus) because I thought I would get value out of the additional features (and I have).

It is nice that Evernote continues to renew the legacy plans each year as @Pink pointed out, and I expect at some point they are just going to drop those legacy plans all together because it's an additional hassle. I'm just totally guessing here, but when that time comes will probably depend on how many users are on the legacy plans. If it is a lot, then I doubt they'd force people off if they didn't upgrade. They are probably hoping they can entice XX percentage of legacy people to join a current paid plan first.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, srdjr said:

I probably would renew at $35 per year.  I intended on emailing my feedback to Evernote, but there is no easily obtained general customer service email address so I posted here in case Evernote cares about feedback from their customers.

I don't think there is a customer service email address, but as a paid subscriber you can make your thoughts known here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• Like 1

I have been on EN since 2011 and when the new pricing was introduced I decided to upgrade to Professional which paid yearly works out at £1.45 per week which, considering the use and capability of the Software, is more than acceptable .

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got almost a full year left on my subscription.  I've already canceled so I don't miss the opportunity should I decide not to continue next year.  I guess I will have to see if the $80 plan features are worth it to me or if I would be better to just go with free or One Note, which I already have with my Office 365 subscription. I wonder how many took the upgrade offer to check it out and then decided to cancel rather than pay double their previous price.

On 10/14/2022 at 11:26 PM, gazumped said:

If you're keeping essential personal or professional data in a 'free' account,  I hope you keep backups.

Hi,  can you expand on this aspect? Or is there a link that I could follow to understand the backup policy?

Thanks a million.

• Level 5

Nobody paid "double the previous price". The prices for the subscriptions - based on identical features and in stable currencies - have remained the same.

There was the Professional plan added, with additional features.

You will be able to access all data stored in a Free plan, even if they have been stored while on a subscription. You will just not be able to edit any note above 25MB, and the new upload limit of 60MB/month will apply.

You can still export by the notebook to ENEX files for backing up, if you wish.

• Like 1

To add onto what @Pink said with regards to the prices for subscriptions, I believe the subscription and cost comparison between Legacy and Version 10 goes like this:

*Pre-Version 10 Subscription
Feature Set
*Version 10 Subscription
Cost
(Legacy) Plus
same features
(Legacy) Plus
same price
Discounted Premium
same features
(Legacy) Discounted Premium
same price
Full Price Premium
**new features
Personal
same price
---
**new features+
Professional
$2 more per month than Personal
(in USA, varies by country)

*Note that technically the Personal and Professional plans came about when new features became available in July 2021 for v10 (and v10 had already come out earlier that fall).

**The new features are the tasks, calendar integration, home w/widgets, and whatever they keep adding under v10 I suppose.

Being on the Plus subscription, I was paying the same price both before and after v10 (and after July 2021), but I opted to upgrade to the Personal plan (mostly because I wanted the access to version history which I didn't have with the Plus subscription). This change did increase my price because I crossed a subscription boundary.

If anyone is on the Discounted Premium and they don't need/want tasks, calendar integration, or home w/widgets, they can stay on the Discounted Premium for the same price.

If you were already paying full price for Premium then you were moved to the Personal subscription and got the benefit of the new features in v10 for the same price you were already paying before.

Once you leave the Plus subscription or the Discounted Premium subscription, you can no longer go back to those (now grandfathered / legacy) subscriptions.

See https://evernote.com/compare-plans for pricing differences.

See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans for a more detailed plan comparison. Also note that in one of the footnotes it states: "As of early April 2018, Evernote Plus is no longer available for purchase. As of July 2021, Evernote Premium is no longer available for purchase." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/17/2022 at 10:04 AM, PinkElephant said:

Nobody paid "double the previous price". The prices for the subscriptions - based on identical features and in stable currencies - have remained the same.

There was the Professional plan added, with additional features.

You will be able to access all data stored in a Free plan, even if they have been stored while on a subscription. You will just not be able to edit any note above 25MB, and the new upload limit of 60MB/month will apply.

You can still export by the notebook to ENEX files for backing up, if you wish.

My point is, I opted to try the Personal plan and my previous plan (which was half the price of Personal) was eliminated, leaving me with only a choice of free, Personal, or Professional.  After trying Personal, I realized the previous plan suited my needs just fine.  I am in fact paying double my previous price for the service that is useful to me.  It is similar to having a 10 gb data plan for cell service, upgrading to an unlimited plan at twice the price then realizing you don't need more then 10 gb.  When you go to go back to the 10 gb plan, you find that it has been eliminated and your choices are a 1 gb plan or unlimited. 

My point is that I am not getting the utility out of the Personal plan for the price, making it probably that I will not buy a paid subscription next year.  If Evernote had my previous plan, I would absolutely pay $35 for a subscription.  It is highly unlikely that I will pay $70 for a subscription.

• Evernote Expert

That is a feature of switching to a current plan. You lose the old plan which, since it hasn't existed for several years, had gone.

It is unfortunate that you didn't notice that in the terms and conditions. 

There is no means of referring for you. So stay with Personal or drop to Free with its limitations.

• Like 1

That I understand.  Either the previous plan was dropped after I switched or I didn't notice that it had already been eliminated.  I just wanted to put it out there to Evernote that I would gladly resubscribe for $35 but most likely not for $70.  I believe in letting a business know why they are losing me as a customer. If there are others in my situation and they let Evernote know why they are leaving, there is a chance that Evernote may decide it is a good business move to bring back the eliminated tier of service. No hard feelings on my part and no hate for Evernote, I am just making a business decison just as Evernote did. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

None of the existing subscribers are forced to cancel. Even the Plus plan is still continued for the Plus users, as are the rebated plans for Premium some users still hold. If a user is happy with what he gets, he can continue. Same features, same price, but no real participation in the development of the app. The newly added features will remain for the grandfathered plans on the same level as a Free user will get without paying.

So in fact EN does not put users with older plans on a crossroads where one road sign reads "up you go, when you pay" and the other "Next exit Free". I am not sure if this stays that way, but up to now nobody needs to pay twice the price for not getting much more.

Whether paying up generates enough benefits to justify the step every user needs to decide for himself. I have looked at Professional and decided to stay on Personal - because it does what I need it to do. Not really different to a Plus user thinking about moving to personal, in terms of money.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, PinkElephant said:

None of the existing subscribers are forced to cancel. Even the Plus plan is still continued for the Plus users, as are the rebated plans for Premium some users still hold. If a user is happy with what he gets, he can continue. Same features, same price, but no real participation in the development of the app. The newly added features will remain for the grandfathered plans on the same level as a Free user will get without paying.

So in fact EN does not put users with older plans on a crossroads where one road sign reads "up you go, when you pay" and the other "Next exit Free". I am not sure if this stays that way, but up to now nobody needs to pay twice the price for not getting much more.

Whether paying up generates enough benefits to justify the step every user needs to decide for himself. I have looked at Professional and decided to stay on Personal - because it does what I need it to do. Not really different to a Plus user thinking about moving to personal, in terms of money.

Are you even reading my posts?  I don't think you are and if you are, you are either deliberately being obtuse or your lack reading comprehension ability.

• Level 5

You were on the grandfathered plan, and you wanted better. Then you got better, but you didn’t need it, but especially you didn’t like the higher price. Price and features were known in advance.

And now you try to convince anybody that the grandfathered plan must return, because for the reduced price you would take it again.

EN gives you a clear set of options: Once you left the old, grandfathered plan you can subscribe to one of the current plans, decide to let your account slide to Free or take your data elsewhere and quit your account.

If you like it or not is not the question - take a decision. 2 of them won’t cost you money.

You can contact EN support to tell them whatever you want - the options Account and billing&payments are open for all users, independently from their current plan:

Or send your feedback through the app, it will be read, but not answered.
  • Like 1

@srdjr Evernote recently announced price increases for the legacy plans (including Plus) so you might want to be 'out' anyway -- even if you could go back to Plus: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/144130-price-increase-for-plus-tier-users

It's interesting to me that they are squeezing out paying users like this. They already have loyally paying users who probably aren't much more of a drain on resources than a 'free' user, plus they are paying!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

they are squeezing out paying users like this.

I'm a "glass half full" kind of person I guess,  but in increasing the price of the already concessionary 'Plus' contract to something like half of the full price I think the company is still being generous.  For what must be a diminishingly small group of customers they're having to maintain a second level of security,  limits and levels - which is effectively a separate product.  It costs them something over and above normal background maintenance for that very small group* - and costs have gone up.

Evernote (IMHO) has two aims - either to get the members of that group to (finally) upgrade,  or to revert to Free  - so that the company can simplify their admin and charging structures - or maybe clear the way for new tiers of membership.  All users (obvs) have the choice to leave too - but as we're finding;  there are plenty of shiny new systems out there,  but more often than not there are also big red flashing warning signs.

*compared to what must now be a growing subscription only account.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

For what must be a diminishingly small group of customers they're having to maintain a second level of security,  limits and levels - which is effectively a separate product.  It costs them something over and above normal background maintenance for that very small group* - and costs have gone up.

Yeah - I thought about that, but they are already doing that. They already have that built into their infrastructure and will continue to support that as long as they have *any* Plus or Legacy Premium customers. Plus the way Evernote's structure is currently set up... once these Plus or Discounted Premium go to the Free model, Evernote still pays indefinitely for all that storage those users have accumulated.

I don't think Evernote is alone in having their first level paying tier be $80 USD (or country equivalent) per year. DropBox is that way -- their first paying level is $120 per year. Duolingo lowest paying tier is $85 per year. They are definitely not alone.

I think the crux of it is this: I remember reading somewhere once that it's better to have two $50 paying customers (with XX free users) vs 50 $2 paying customers (with XX free users). Even if the number of users is the same, once a customer is paying, they expect a certain level of support and that can be draining -- especially if a customer is only paying a minimum. (In my mind that still leaves a lot of middle ground for a $35 paying customer though, but I can definitely see why there is no $10 or $20 kinds of levels. Probably Evernote feels the same way about a $35 year plan as they do a $10 a year plan... not worth it.)

• Like 2