Price increase for Plus tier users?

I still have the Plus-Scubscription for Evernote for 29,99€. In the Evernote account settings I see that the next subscription fee will be 43,99€ 😱 I didn't receive any notification for a price change though...?!

Does anyone know further details about that?

EDIT: Found it in their FAQ...the user will be notified (to whatever time) before they extend the subscription. OK, count me out, I switch to Apple Notes now.

• Level 5

Nobody said the grandfathered subscriptions will stay at the same price forever - they still keep a distance to the „living“ subs, that took raises as well.

It is everybodies right to decide where to put his money, and which product or service to buy. The EN subscription can be canceled every day, to the end of the current subscription period. No need to wait it out.

Since Apple Notes got improved in recent years, it may be a viable option today - if you are rooted in the Apple ecosystem.

No clients for anything else, except via browser / iCloud.

FAQ link with price increase for those wondering: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/9948811735827-FAQ-Pricing-changes-for-legacy-Plus-and-Premium-subscriptions-2022-

I was on the Plus plan just over a year ago and decided to go the other direction... to Personal -- as there were several features that I wanted that Plus didn't have.

It seems the (legacy) Plus and discounted-Premium plans are going to get closer and closer to the Personal plan (in price) that I expect people with either just migrate to the Personal plan or quit (or go down to Free) altogether.

It's interesting that there is no new Evernote plan that you can sign up for that is somewhere in between 0 and $80 USD for Personal. That's quite a jump. Duolingo does something similar -- it's either Free (and heavily ad-supported) or it's $84 USD per year... nothing in between. This year I don't want to pay that much for their Premium (aka 'Super') product so I stopped subscribing. If there was something in between, I might go for it.

If Bending Spoons app purchase history is any indication, one thing they will do -- if anything -- is fiddle even more with the pricing and subscriptions. I wonder what that will look like. Time will tell.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

If Bending Spoons app purchase history is any indication, one thing they will do -- if anything -- is fiddle even more with the pricing and subscriptions. I wonder what that will look like. Time will tell.

Bending Spoons' photo app (mobile + web) costs about $13 per week. 50% off if you pay yearly = $338 per year. Evernote is quite a complex software with a lot of server traffic and cloud storage, so I would guess that EN future pricing will be minimum at the same level?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, janndk said:

Bending Spoons' photo app (mobile + web) costs about $13 per week. 50% off if you pay yearly = $338 per year. Evernote is quite a complex software with a lot of server traffic and cloud storage, so I would guess that EN future pricing will be minimum at the same level?

Yeah - hopefully not. It's going to be interesting to see how Bending Spoons juggles any of that with customer retention.

The way that Evernote's pricing structure is currently configured, is that a user (for example) could have 1 TB of storage and be on the free tier. The user pays nothing indefinitely, but Evernote still has server costs to store and deliver that content. If you lose enough paying customers, then how do you continue to pay for all that storage and delivery for all those free users? So this alone is different from Bending Spoons other app acquisitions where they don't have all that huge historical storage debt for non-paying subscribers.

Just my 2 cent - I am an Evernote user since 2009 and I use it for the things Evernote was originally invented for (second brain, long termin archive etc.). The stuff that was added (collaboration, work chat, tasks etc.) is of no use for me and yes: Apple notes is a very good alternative nowadays for this "basic" usage...and free, as long you're in the Apple ecosystem. 

Nonetheless, I just wondered why the changed prices and didn't communicated it to the customers...my Plus subscription ends on the 2.1.23 and I just saw the increased price by coincidence. The price increase is almost 50%! 😳

All the best though for Evernote, was a big fan before!

2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

If  Bending Spoons app purchase history is any indication, one thing they will do -- if anything -- is fiddle even more with the pricing and subscriptions. I wonder what that will look like. Time will tell.

I think they will advertise in the free plan, as they already do in their own free apps. This allows them to keep reasonable prices for the paid plans...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
48 minutes ago, janndk said:

But that photo app is highly specialized for professionals in one specific field, who expect to pay that kind of money for professional tools, isn't it? Whereas Evernote is much more of a generalist app, meant for home, school, individual professional, and business use. Two quite different realms of software, so why would the pricing be the same?

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Matze B. said:

Nonetheless, I just wondered why the changed prices and didn't communicated it to the customers...my Plus subscription ends on the 2.1.23 and I just saw the increased price by coincidence. The price increase is almost 50%

You will most likely get an email (unless you aren't subscribed to any kinds of Evernote notifications or have them filtered to go straight to trash or something). You are still a couple of months out.

From the FAQ:

image.png.840ffb7fb7780718cbf745636eee6a4b.png

23 minutes ago, Matze B. said:

Just my 2 cent - I am an Evernote user since 2009 and I use it for the things Evernote was originally invented for (second brain, long termin archive etc.). The stuff that was added (collaboration, work chat, tasks etc.) is of no use for me and yes: Apple notes is a very good alternative nowadays for this "basic" usage...and free, as long you're in the Apple ecosystem.

I think tasks is a very great part of a second brain ecosystem. Our brains need to know when to do certain things and Tasks help us remember to get that done 

While I don't use work chat or collaboration, I suppose you could think of those as "two brains are better than one" kind of a feature.... but nah - that's a stretch. I'm with you there.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But that photo app is highly specialized for professionals in one specific field, who expect to pay that kind of money for professional tools, isn't it? Whereas Evernote is much more of a generalist app, meant for home, school, individual professional, and business use. Two quite different realms of software, so why would the pricing be the same?

Have you tested the app? It's certainly not a professional tool, but a "one-click" photo/video enhancer. Quite impressive results though (in some cases).

Anyway, I just used it as an example, as it seems to be their only app for multi platform. Their video editor app for mobile - Splice - is more expensive.

11 minutes ago, eric99 said:
1 hour ago, janndk said:

Anyway, I just used it as an example, as it seems to be their only app for multi platform. Their video editor app for mobile - Splice - is more expensive.

Splice seems to be multi platform as well?  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splice.video.editor

Bad wording from me. With "multi platform" I meant "not only for mobile devices".

13 hours ago, Boot17 said:

You are still a couple of months out.

"A couple of month"? It's actually 5 weeks...and a price increase of almost 50% thas has been already decided would have been better to communicate to all affected people. At least that's the way I would hav expected it to be.

Concerning tasks: I was a a long time user of Todoist. Still the best task management and Evernote is GALAXIES behind. Even Apple reminders (and most other task managers) are much more capable so that's another bummer for me...

• Level 5

EN Tasks is primarily an excellent addition of features to make notes actionable. In this context it is way superior to any other task manager.

EN never claimed general superiority to fully fledged task managers.

About prices: Contact support if you feel the lead time would not be sufficient.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

EN Tasks is primarily an excellent addition of features to make notes actionable. In this context it is way superior to any other task manager.

All good if that works for you. Evernote (to me!) was and will forever be a long time archive and that's the way I'm using it: contracts, manuals, invoices, tips and tricks etc. Tasks are a completely different thing (and I'm using task manager VERY intensely!).

All the best to you and to Evernote, we had a great time!