javascript error since last update

Today updated evernote to the last version on Windows 7 computer. Always worked perfect but now I get a "javascript error". 

Already removed (revo uninstall complete removal) and re-installed but same problem. 

Any other solutions or one of the previous versions somewhere available? 

screenshot.2022-09-02 (27).jpg

• Like 1

Exactly the same issue after my upgrade today as well. If Windows 7 support / compatibility was truly dropped then it would be nice if setup would warn about that not just run without any comments ending up with a broken application. It would be nice to hear any additional comments or possible workaround. I will try the legacy version of course. 

• Like 1

After some google search i've managed to download version 10.43.7 and it works perfectly!  Now the main problem is that i cannot find the option to disable scanning for software updates every time the program starts.

Yep, looks like they just bricked their client on Windows 7, get the exact same error too. If they claim it's because Windows 7 is not supported it's really idiotic to not disable auto updates for a running version if they are going to push stuff that breaks on that 💀

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is a long and practically useless discussion if any software provider needs to adopt measures to prevent updating on a deprecated platform.

Anybody warns against continued use of Windows 7 on computers exposed to the internet. EN by definition as an online service needs exposure to the internet.

Since EN v10 is based on a framework, the moment the framework does not support the platform, EN stops working as well. In this case since Windows 7 was never listed as a supported OS, you can't even ask for continuity. Officially nothing was discontinued, when it stopped it was coincidental.

You will have to deal with the situation, or for example move on to the web client, the legacy client or any other app that attracts your attention.

• Level 5*

Evernote has never (officially) run on Windows 7,  so the chances of the company including a check to verify that you have the correct version of Windows (or any other OS) to allow the app to update are - I would think - pretty low.  The test of whether or not you have the right environment for the app is down to 'does it run?' - if yes,  you can scrape by for a while longer;  if no - well you could try the older version (if you can find it) and just say 'no' to updates for ever...  or you could go back to Evernote Legacy for the time being.  Any compromise that involves old and outdated software though comes with a built-in exposure to any security holes that might be discovered - plus the problem that browsers and apps continue to be developed and will eventually refuse to run on devices running older systems...

Thanks for the responses, clear what's the cause now. 

Will look to update my windows version since getting more and more problems with other software as well or try installing a previous (or legacy) version. 

On 9/4/2022 at 3:59 PM, PinkElephant said:

It is a long and practically useless discussion if any software provider needs to adopt measures to prevent updating on a deprecated platform.

Anybody warns against continued use of Windows 7 on computers exposed to the internet. EN by definition as an online service needs exposure to the internet.

Since EN v10 is based on a framework, the moment the framework does not support the platform, EN stops working as well. In this case since Windows 7 was never listed as a supported OS, you can't even ask for continuity. Officially nothing was discontinued, when it stopped it was coincidental.

You will have to deal with the situation, or for example move on to the web client, the legacy client or any other app that attracts your attention.

Thanks Bro, just that Mr Billy made a good W7 (was a freer OS), after Windows 10 is flooded with monitoring software and commercials. Have you heard what they saiy in the economic forum about NWO?

• Level 5

No - and I don’t regard an economic forum as a competent place for IT security issues.

If you want to run Win 7 in the safest way possible (sort of, it is still not safe), install a modern OS on your computer. My preference would be a Linux OS, because it will use less resources.

Then install a virtual machine environment, and make a VM to run Win 7 in it. You can at least prevent it from corrupting everything, and restore fast from a snapshot to erase any problem.

I'm also having this problem. I haven't had issues with any other software on Windows 7, and Evernote's desktop app worked fine for me until the latest update. I had no reason to believe that Evernote was in any way incompatible with Windows 7, and every other update worked fine. It would have been nice if they would have warned us that the latest update would bork the app. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Rhea_Revolver said:

I had no reason to believe that Evernote was in any way incompatible with Windows 7,

Except there's a specific caveat requiring Window 10...

As above - try the web version / legacy / report to Support. 

• Level 5
17 hours ago, Rhea_Revolver said:

I had no reason to believe that Evernote was in any way incompatible with Windows 7, and every other update worked fine.

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Except there's a specific caveat requiring Window 10...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012107027. Look at the previous posts in this thread.

Some of us use windows 7 for very specific reasons ie: not just to avoid upgrading to win 10.  For example, in my case I have certain old software programs that are running simply perfectly on win 7 (on 6 machines in my office) and upgrading to win 10 would create chaos.  My situation is unique in that the software packages I run are proprietary and work ideally for myself and my employees.  So I would rather just go back to the older version of v10 that ran perfectly for me until I am absolutely forced to make some kind of change.  Incidentally, Legacy also works well but I will miss the tasks features that I've begun to rely on with v10.  In the meanwhile, those of us who are interested in seeing if they fix this issue can follow the threads.  As PinkElephant has said it seems unlikely that a fix will be offered for win 7 but we can only hope.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:37 AM, Gudella said:

I'm having the same problem.

Looking for solution ASAP.

Is it possible to download older version installation files?

Gudella,

Can you tell us where you found this version?  I see it mentioned on various Google searches but am a little reluctant to try getting it from an unreliable website.  Any help appreciated.  Also, when you got this version how did you wind up installing it?

Edit: OK, so I found a reliable source and it seems to have given me a good version that works well.  I found it at https://www.filepuma.com/download/evernote_10.43.7-33005/download/

Edited by idoc
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, idoc said:

Some of us use windows 7 for very specific reasons ie: not just to avoid upgrading to win 10.  For example, in my case I have certain old software programs that are running simply perfectly on win 7 (on 6 machines in my office) and upgrading to win 10 would create chaos.  My situation is unique in that the software packages I run are proprietary and work ideally for myself and my employees. 

Have you ever tried to run a modern OS on the computers, and install the Win7-dependent programs into a Virtual Machine, running Win 7 ? This is what you usually do in industry when you have control computers that can’t be updated. This way you can stay updated with your computers, but can still operate the old software.

If the programs allow, you could even install the VMs with Win7 on a server, and give the client PCs access through Remote Desktop or similar solutions. The benefit is that on the clients you only need low computing power. Just the server needs some muscles. In total you can save a lot by this approach, because you can install thin clients with the employees.

And it is easier to safeguard and admin a network where all installations happen on a central server, and the clients just need to be kept updated with a handful of programs, allowing them to communicate with the server.

Thanks for that advice, very interesting.  Usually in my specialty what happens is that you purchase a machine in which they have installed a particular version of windows and their own programs which perform specific diagnostic tests.  There is no program per se that you load or that you own.  It is simply a huge machine that is already completely configured to run the way it is.  They tell you that tampering with it in any way will violate the warranty (that they sell you for a fortune).  A few years ago something went wrong on one of these machines and it was causing a lot of errors.  The company (a German one, by the way) offered to "fix" the problem with a technician visit.  Of course, the technician had to fly down from another state and they were charging $4000 for the fix and asking me to wait 2 months.  I showed the machine to a clever friend who deduced that the entire problem may be due to a battery that was WELDED onto the motherboard.  By cutting through the weld I would violate the warranty but I asked him to do it anyway.  We replaced it with another battery ($5 on Amazon) and welded it again so as cover the crime.  The device was as good as new.  They were going to charge a minimum (maybe more) of $4000 to "fix" this problem. 

• Level 5

OT: With embedded hardware running the software (build in computers), the only way is to take them off the accessible network.

When you have managed switches, you can split your network into separate VLANs. All machines go to a VLAN that has nowhere an internet exposure. All office computers go to another.

As a bridge you install a server that has 2 Ethernet ports. Each one is connected to one of the VLANs. This can be a pretty economic NAS, it just needs the double LAN configuration.

The best use case is then that the machines are allowed to write data to the server, the exposed network has only read permission. This shields the old equipment from the internet.