Sharing notes - invitations not going to gmail addresses

Hi all, I’m trying to share a note with a few folks I encouraged to sign up to Evernote so we can edit it as a group. I clicked the share option and added the addresses (they are all gmail - no one received the invitation). I added my gmail - nothing came. I added my outlook - invitation came through fine. I’ve tried resend and re-entered the emails but nothing is getting the invitation to send. 

Anyone aware of any issues with gmail invitations or has the same issue? All of this has been done on the mobile app, might it work on the webapp? 

• Level 5*

Did all your invitees check their spam folder?  The emails come from an Evernote address,  not from you personally;  plus new accounts are blocked from sharing for 24 hours for anti-spam reasons.  No difference between web and mobile.

Having said which - how many people are you expecting to be able to access this note at the same time?  Evernote might not be the best option here...

There’s just the three of us for a note that will be intermittently edited - no live editing or anything like that. 

Yeah I checked spam folders and tried deleting the address and re-adding etc but no difference. I’ll check with folks tomorrow to see if they get in one of the re attempts. 

Thanks all I’ve checked all including spam - not appearing. Something odd though -

I set up an test account last week to see how shared notes work - all went fine then. I added this test account to the shared invitations, it’s that one that no invitations are appearing for. When I tried another gmail account not related to Evernote at all (I have a few due to work) it arrived fine. Could it have something to do with the email already being associated with a free account? If so that would affect the others I’ve tried to send the link to as well. 

15 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Could it have something to do with the email already being associated with a free account? If so that would affect the others I’ve tried to send the link to as well. 

May be this is intended behaviour:  no email notification since it's already notified by the app or something like that?  

edit: I can confirm that it does work to invitees who have a free account, however you may still try this:

you may send an alias to your invitees like this:

john.doe+xyz@gmail.com   (the normal email name followed by '+xyz' )   xyz being any alias you like, just to fake another email address different from the address associated with the free account.

this aliased email arrives in the same mailbox of john.doe@gmail.com

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Something special with GMail ? Maybe a security issue when a mail contains a link ?

Just created a share from one EN account to a free second one. The email was received within seconds. The free account has WorkChat activated.

It worked for you? What is workchat? 
I’ll try it again on Tuesday and see if it’s working for me. If only we could share the link and get it added to peoples Evernote that way, it would be so much easier.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just made the mistake of trying to contact support about this. I asked if there is any other way of doing this as the invite by email process isn’t working because the emails don’t arrive, explained I have retried and they don’t go to spam. 

The reply - a generic here is how you share a note to edit with others, with all the steps I explained I have done. Support is either trolling or completely incompetent. 

Evernote is a great app, I just wish it worked consistently.  The latter would be ok if there was good support but it’s shockingly bad now. I think, even though there’s nothing that does this as well, it’s time to divest to several apps and give up. Life’s too short for the kinda nonsense that my request generated. Gonna try UpNote, reminders and scanner pro and see if that is not too far a step down. 

• Evernote Expert

Instead of telling us how bad the support experience was why not tell them. Ask them to look again. Only once did I get a truly incompetent Evernote support response. I challenged it with a firm, but very polite, question. That got the action I needed. The issue was escalated and fixed within a week or two. I can't promise that will be the speed of resolution for you but tech support the world over needs to be pushed to respond properly. It isn't solely an Evernote issue.

But enjoy Upnote. It will probably have its fair share of issues but if it does the job for you then that's the place to go.

53 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Instead of telling us how bad the support experience was why not tell them. Ask them to look again. Only once did I get a truly incompetent Evernote support response. I challenged it with a firm, but very polite, question. That got the action I needed. The issue was escalated and fixed within a week or two. I can't promise that will be the speed of resolution for you but tech support the world over needs to be pushed to respond properly. It isn't solely an Evernote issue.

But enjoy Upnote. It will probably have its fair share of issues but if it does the job for you then that's the place to go.

I have, I am simply exasperated with support now, complete loss of confidence in the ability of the company to engage well with the userbase to resolve issues.  I have no idea if upnote will be any better, its sure cheaper though I will need to use a few other apps too to cover how I have been using EN. 

have you already tried what I posted last week? If it works with other gmail addresses not associated with evernote accounts, this should probably work:

you may send a gmail alias to your invitees like this:

john.doe+xyz@gmail.com   (the normal email name followed by '+´ ´xyz' )   xyz being any alias you like, just to fake another email address different from the address associated with the free account.

this aliased email arrives in the same mailbox of john.doe@gmail.com

• Level 5
8 hours ago, WilliamL said:

The reply - a generic here is how you share a note to edit with others, with all the steps I explained I have done. Support is either trolling or completely incompetent. 

This kind of reply from tech support is fairly common from all kinds of software and services, in my experience. They are required to follow a script. (And remember, in this day and age tech support is a job that no one would do if they had any other choices.) The script apparently starts with "Do not read the request in detail. Get a general sense of it from the subject line and then tell them how to do what's not working." Which, of course, I have already tried two or three times. How this is considered time efficient by the people paying the support staff is beyond me. But perhaps there are enough people whose internal script starts with "Do not read the directions. Try to make it work the way you wish it would work." that an initial support approach of RT*M pays off.

So, yeah, just venting. Nothing to see here.

3 hours ago, eric99 said:

have you already tried what I posted last week? If it works with other gmail addresses not associated with evernote accounts, this should probably work:

you may send a gmail alias to your invitees like this:

john.doe+xyz@gmail.com   (the normal email name followed by '+´ ´xyz' )   xyz being any alias you like, just to fake another email address different from the address associated with the free account.

this aliased email arrives in the same mailbox of john.doe@gmail.com

Thanks, I tried that before and it didn’t work, tried it there again and it did. Problem with this is the email invitation was associated with the address that had the +xyz even though it arrived at the right inbox. It’s adding too much complexity to those I had asked to join Evernote to share the note with as it doesn’t by default take them to their registered account. 

1 hour ago, WilliamL said:

Thanks, I tried that before and it didn’t work, tried it there again and it did. Problem with this is the email invitation was associated with the address that had the +xyz even though it arrived at the right inbox. It’s adding too much complexity to those I had asked to join Evernote to share the note with as it doesn’t by default take them to their registered account. 

Anyhow, this confirms your theory that it has to do with an email already being associated with a free account...