Evernote "legacy" vs. Evernote 6.25

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

Evernote 10, the main window only shows me 8 notes in the middle column

I've no idea why there was a redesign,  but it is what it is - feeding back constructive suggestions to Evernote might get it changed.  Using Legacy is less hassle but a higher risk factor.

Since subscribers can customize the Home page I wondered whether you might see more there,  but the widgets are not resizeable - yet - but with a little work that might be an option.  And it gives Evernote the chance,  if they plan on doing something to the Widgets before they revisit the editor options,  to act sooner rather than later.

Clipboard1.thumb.jpg.f6baf210f7b994ed784120e723a53bb7.jpg

And finally - I have a number of rules managed by a third-party app "Filterize" that are applied to new and edited notes when they sync back to the server.  It would be fairly easy to set up one that said (forinstance) "IF this note is tagged ACME,  contains the acme.com email address,  or contains (add favourite keyword here),  AND provided the link does not exist on the Acme History page,  then add this link to the History page.  (The processing is called 'Parametrisation').  You see a note-based list of all notes including thise keywords or tags.

Those tests can be set up in a table so that other parent or client details can be processed,  and new ones added easily - this table lives in a standard note and is referenced by the app.  If you have more than one process to be handled this way,  you can create a parent table of contents note with backlinks to the independent process pages to jump between activities.  You essentially see a note-based dashboard of all your projects. 

That note is openable in its own window,  as are one or more note-based lists relating to individual projects,  or notes relating to one specific project.

It was (I think) users' initial fascination with dashboards like this that sparked Evernote into adding their feature.

I hope you manage to find something that works for you and clarifies your long-term processing!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

With Evernote 10, the main window only shows me 8 notes in the middle column, whereas with Evernote v6 I was able to see 14 notes (same view settings in both apps)

So the new design is wasting a lot of screen estate (amoung other things...) and the addition of new features like the Home screen isn't helping here either

Mine shows 11 notes, with the 12th giving access to the remainder, so your point is?

I find the Home screen extremely; informative giving me an overview of the Calander, Tasks, Pinned Notes, Filtered Notes, Access to Shortcuts, Tags, Recently Captured Notes & Recent Receipts.  In other words, it is an overview of everything I need all in one place.

3 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

Mine shows 11 notes, with the 12th giving access to the remainder, so your point is?

my point is that v10 is wasting a lot of screen estate compared to v6

You're seeing a different number of notes in v10 because you're running a different screen configuration so our numbers are obviously not comparable, however if you open Evernote v6 on the same computer you'll probably be able see 20 notes at once, thats a huge difference IMO if you have to often switch between recent notes

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

my point is that v10 is wasting a lot of screen estate compared to v6

You're seeing a different number of notes in v10 because you're running a different screen configuration so our numbers are obviously not comparable, however if you open Evernote v6 on the same computer you'll probably be able see 20 notes at once, thats a huge difference IMO if you have to often switch between recent notes

No thank you I gave up on Legacy many months ago, and I no longer have any use for the relic. I am happy with V10.

How do you use the filtered notes widget on the Home screen?  I really haven't been able to figure out what the utility of it is and I assume I am not really understanding it.  It seems to show the results of one filtered search (the last one performed).  Therefore, why do I want to see it again or why not just repeat it again if I need it?    I assume that if one is doing very specific complex filtered searches over and over, then you could save them as shortcuts in the shortcut list.  Perhaps someone could explain how they use the filtered searches widget?

• Level 5
On 2/25/2023 at 7:47 AM, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

With Evernote 10, the main window only shows me 8 notes in the middle column, whereas with Evernote v6 I was able to see 14 notes (same view settings in both apps)

So the new design is wasting a lot of screen estate (amoung other things...) and the addition of new features like the Home screen isn't helping here either

I tend to agree with you on this. And it's not just Evernote. A lot of current UI design is apparently based on large, chunky objects and lots of white space. Think Windows 8 before you figured out how to get past the Start screen to the desktop. My healthcare provider has just a horrible example of it. In Evernote, I'm not hugely bothered by it, but you're right that using, say, the Snippets display I see far fewer notes at once than I do using Snippets in v. 6.25. And the Thumbnails display from 6.25, which allows multiple columns of notes in the list, is not (yet) available at all in v. 10. For the way I work it's not a big problem in Evernote--I do use the Home page a lot as a starting point, and since recent notes display horizontally there, I can see a fair number. But I can imagine it being annoying.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, idoc said:

How do you use the filtered notes widget on the Home screen?

I don't 'use' it,  but I thought it was a constantly-updated realtime search - so if you wanted a reminder of all uncompleted tasks due today,  then the filtered notes widget would list them for you.  As you add or complete items,  the list would update itself - so it's not an inert saved search,  but a live listing.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, agsteele said:

The so called Legacy (v6.25.2) is the same as v6.25.1 with the exception that the desktop/tray icons have a grey background.

If you install v10 at home it will disable v6.25.1 but you can then reinstall whichever v6.25 you want and nothing will be lost.

If you have any data in v6.25.1 in a local folder you should ensure you have a backup so that it isn't lost.

Excellent info @agsteele; I was just setting up a new install of Win11 on my trusty old Latitude, and I'd installed the latest 6.25.x - that gray legacy icon tends to camouflage itself.

I was looking for the last version before it went "legacy" and your tidbit here gave me the starting point.  I have some previous download links in one of my notes from troubleshooting back in August 2018 when that forced upgrade situation caused some users to wind up in wonky versions (turns out some of that was resolved with a complete R&R, but there were still quite a few changes requiring some adjustment.

Overall I can't complain about that; glad to still have access to good old v6.x.  It's been a true workhorse for years.  I'm all for change for improved functionality, but as far as change for the sake of change - Keep it.  Too much push for Agile just to say there's progress. 

Long Live EN 6.x !!!

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, msg5 said:

I'm all for change for improved functionality, but as far as change for the sake of change - Keep it.  Too much push for Agile just to say there's progress. 

THX - this is really true in many other cases (not only EN) 🤔

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/15/2023 at 4:15 PM, Christhebeerguy said:

can someone please post a working version of legacy, Clearly debate among software developers isn't interesting to most people who just want to get to their notes.  Some of us have been supporting you for 10 years...Link Please?

No links avaiable from Evernote - try an internet search?

On 10/15/2023 at 5:15 PM, Christhebeerguy said:

can someone please post a working version of legacy, ... Link Please?

There current official version of Evernote can be found on https://evernote.com/download (we call it EN10 😉). New users should use this.

The older version that might not be functionable sometime in the future is available on https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.3.9348.exe ("Legacy"). Use it with care - if you know what you do...

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Reuven said:

See attached

I removed your post because it's bad security to download things from forum threads - especially deprecated software to which the owner of the forums no longer supplies official links...

On 10/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, Christhebeerguy said:

can someone please post a working version of legacy, Clearly debate among software developers isn't interesting to most people who just want to get to their notes.  Some of us have been supporting you for 10 years...Link Please?

I posted an attachment of the Legacy version, but it was removed... Send me a personal message if interested.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I removed your post because it's bad security to download things from forum threads - especially deprecated software to which the owner of the forums no longer supplies official links...

Are you a moderator, or in some way in charge of the forum?

• Level 5

Anybody who knows how to use a search engine can find older versions of EN - at places like Filehippo.com.

Thats not really a problem. A problem will be that these clients will stop syncing with the server in the future - we think pretty soon.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Reuven said:

Are you a moderator, or in some way in charge of the forum?

I appreciate you are trying to be helpful,  but I don't open file attachments from anyone these days,  because you never know whether they might come with little surprises attached.  Also Evernote has taken down any links to the 'old' version - apart,  apparently from the link quoted in the thread here - has big red flashes over the UI warning that an update is urgently necessary,  and generally seems to be sending a message that using Legacy is a generally bad idea.

I did not think that they would appreciate the installer being available in the Forums here.

And yes,  I'm a mod here along with a couple of others.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I appreciate you are trying to be helpful,  but I don't open file attachments from anyone these days,  because you never know whether they might come with little surprises attached.  Also Evernote has taken down any links to the 'old' version - apart,  apparently from the link quoted in the thread here - has big red flashes over the UI warning that an update is urgently necessary,  and generally seems to be sending a message that using Legacy is a generally bad idea.

I did not think that they would appreciate the installer being available in the Forums here.

And yes,  I'm a mod here along with a couple of others.

Thank you for your polite explanation and response.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I love two things about this thread.

1. PinkElephant being super defensive over V10 and jumping at anyone who doesn't praise it (EN paying you to be that salty bud? you seem almost personally insulted every time someone prefers legacy, to the point where it's almost comical - especially since I admittedly imagined you with a very silly voice, sorry about that)

2. The link to the old version of EN. Much thanks, will be using this until I find a suitable replacement program (I actually did find this thread because I was looking for a link to the old EN - I accidentally updated by misclicking a pop-up, but the old version works better with this computer).

Given my personal needs and previous software disappointments I had with the solution I had before I used Evernote ("hello! everything you love is OLD so we're throwing it out!!"), I'm tempted to forget syncing completely and just install something old school that will sit pretty offline and not connect with the internet in any way. It's not as if I strictly speaking need to use more than one device after all, and maintaining a functional workflow is more important than having new features. I'll just have to re-learn the art of maintaining backups myself. So, in a way it was good that I misclicked that pop-up. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen this thread and gotten the heads-up that it's time to migrate again.

To the people in this thread who are/were using EN in a company setting, hope things worked out for y'all, either with EN v10 expanding its features to match what you were doing in the legacy version or you found a different program to transition to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, Aryllia said:

Given my personal needs and previous software disappointments I had with the solution I had before I used Evernote ("hello! everything you love is OLD so we're throwing it out!!"), I'm tempted to forget syncing completely and just install something old school that will sit pretty offline and not connect with the internet in any way. It's not as if I strictly speaking need to use more than one device after all, and maintaining a functional workflow is more important than having new features. I'll just have to re-learn the art of maintaining backups myself. So, in a way it was good that I misclicked that pop-up. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen this thread and gotten the heads-up that it's time to migrate again.

Just regarding this, I think it's a valid point for people who don't need to use more than one device. One of Evernote's strongest points is its ability to display and edit notes on multiple platforms, with a similarity in appearance and functions across platforms (in v. 10, sorry, not in the older version). If you don't need that, then ditching Evernote makes sense. Personally, I like where v. 10 has gotten to and don't need anything from v. 6 that v. 10 can't do, but do need the cross-platform usability, so I'm good. I appreciate your good wishes for us for whom v. 10 is working, and I offer the same in return for wherever you may end up.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just regarding this, I think it's a valid point for people who don't need to use more than one device. One of Evernote's strongest points is its ability to display and edit notes on multiple platforms, with a similarity in appearance and functions across platforms (in v. 10, sorry, not in the older version). If you don't need that, then ditching Evernote makes sense. Personally, I like where v. 10 has gotten to and don't need anything from v. 6 that v. 10 can't do, but do need the cross-platform usability, so I'm good. I appreciate your good wishes for us for whom v. 10 is working, and I offer the same in return for wherever you may end up.

Thanks Dave. I'm not gonna lie, a few years ago I really depended on Evernote and happily paid premium to sync between devices. It was super convenient at the time and absolutely well worth the money I paid. Note organisation, web clipping, on-the-go notes, Evernote has been absolutely brilliant both on desktop and in the app. Things are a little different now though, and that has nothing to do with the changes Evernote has gone through, it's just regular life changes that has impacted the time I have for my projects. The last few years, the only features I've needed from Evernote that I can't get from a basic word processor is the tags and the inter-linked notes, so arguably Evernote is a bit overpowered for me in more ways than that my poor old hardware doesn't get along with flashy new updates.

I'm effectively in the process of KonMari-ing my way through the "miscellaneous" notebook I set up as default some 10 years ago (dear god, there's so much junk here), and I think I've found a good (local and offline) solution for my projects. Not gonna name drop the competition obviously, but I've checked in with their community and the consensus is that the software should work for my needs.

IDK, feels better to not have my stuff on any servers for long-term storage, not when I have my own dedicated backups literally in my desktop drawer. And some of these notes were really overdue for deletion ^_^;

• Like 1