Do I upgrade or stay on the sidelines?

• Level 5

GBarry Product Manager posted this news:
"Today we released Evernote for Windows 10.16 (v 10.16.7 build 2732)."

I have sat on the sidelines with my version 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).

Looking for opinions.
Has the dust settled yet? 
Should I UPGRADE or STAY with my "old-faithful" version?  Thank you.

• Windows desktop only
  • No cell phone version
  • No note sharing
  • Premium - 36,000 notes
  • Basic - 32,000 additional archived notes

• Level 5

The „exclusive OR“ is IMHO not the only question possible.

I run v10 and legacy side by side - you could give this setup a try as well. If you want to get a robust second opinion about the size of your EN account, ask support.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Edit: For the Basic account legacy is counted as a second device. When you follow the strategy, you use your 2 devices to install 2 clients on the same physical device. Maybe it is ok for you, since you don’t use a mobile client.

• Level 5*

I'm happy to continue with 6.25 for the moment.  Import Folders just came back in v10,  which is nice;  but I still use local notebooks (they're not coming back) and I'm running my whole setup on two laptops - a 'mature' Dell with Windows 10,  and a more modern Asus with Linux.  The browser version runs a bit erratically and rather slowly on both machines which does not encourage me to try the full install yet.  It's kind've a 'devil you know' thing...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/22/2021 at 4:31 PM, jbenson2 said:

GBarry Product Manager posted this news:
"Today we released Evernote for Windows 10.16 (v 10.16.7 build 2732)."

I have sat on the sidelines with my version 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).

Looking for opinions.
Should I UPGRADE or STAY with my "old-faithful" version?  Thank you.

• Windows desktop only
  • No cell phone version
  • No note sharing
  • Premium - 36,000 notes
  • Basic - 32,000 additional archived notes

I tried the previous version of V10 on a backup machine within that last month.  Reinstalled 6.25.1 within 30 minutes.  V10 on the desktop is still as slow as molasses for my use case.  The IOS version on the other hand is mostly very quick.  Web version fades in and out speed wise.  All of which makes little sense to me as all are supposed to be more server centric, common code base, yada yada yada. 

Net of it all, other than having to redo your settings you can install V10 and then remove it.  Though I might wait a couple more releases to see if they put some pep into the desktop.  And there is a very annoying lag in indexes getting rebuilt post a note update.  I feel that pain the odd times I use the IOS version.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 6/22/2021 at 2:31 PM, jbenson2 said:

Should I UPGRADE or STAY with my "old-faithful" version?

Why not try out the v10 product and see if it works for you      
You always have the option of reverting to the Legacy product
For myself, there's still missing features that are important for my workflow

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I tried the previous version of V10 on a backup machine within that last month.  Reinstalled 6.25.1 within 30 minutes.  V10 on the desktop is still as slow as molasses for my use case.  The IOS version on the other hand is mostly very quick.  Web version fades in and out speed wise.  All of which makes little sense to me as all are supposed to be more server centric, common code base, yada yada yada. 

Net of it all, other than having to redo your settings you can install V10 and then remove it.  Though I might wait a couple more releases to see if they put some pep into the desktop.  And there is a very annoying lag in indexes getting rebuilt post a note update.  I feel that pain the odd times I use the IOS version.  YMMV.

EDIT.  It had been a month so I tried V10 again.  Overall performance of note display has improved quite a bit.  Also long lags between notes is now much better.  I did not lose train of thought one time in 15 minutes of testing, a massive improvement over last time.  So physical speed has improved.

Issue still exists with search as it is a snarly mess for me.  Convoluted and slow to access.  Seems like a whole lot more clicks and backing out actions than in V 6.25.1.  The lack of a shortcuts bar adds a click for every shortcut except the first nine if you can remember them.  The lack of a saved search hourglass adds a click to saved searches after the third.  Though sometimes the the first 12 saved searches display.  Not sure why it acts differently.

PDFs are slower as well.  In V10 scrolling requires selecting View as All Pages option the first time you want to view the PDF (no default I could find).  Ctl+Q in V10 is not as full featured as the legacy version.

It's getting better but not quite right for my use case at this point.  So there is hope.  Search process is too slow and click heavy.  I might be able to AHK it to submission but I'll wait a bit before I try that.  I'm afraid though that the search mechanism is locked, and it is just painful trying to modify/transition searches.  Could be me and a lack of experience I suppose.  FWIW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm running both legacy and v10 on both Android (2 separate devices) and Windows (2 separate devices), and I occasionally used Web. For my particular use case, most features (that I use --- you might rely on others) seem to be there in v10, and the speed is OK (20k notes, but high-end devices for both platforms used for v10).

There is still the occasional little issue, eg, I don't like the merging functionality in v10 (URLs and authors of the individual notes are forgotten). There are issues that seem to persist on some platforms (copying/pasting images from MS Edge to legacy, v10 and Web-v10), and today I had some note "duplicated" without being able to reconstruct how that happened. But nothing bad happened, and things in v10 seem to be getting there.

Particularly if you are editing, simplifying web clips and the like, v10 is MUCH more pleasant (formatting options); here the legacy version definitely has its .... "challenges", in terms of missing formatting features, temperamental simplification of web clips, and also the original loss of response for extended time (let's say 10 seconds, but if you want to write something down it feels like an eternity).

I still don't trust v10 100% --- just because it is still new and there were issues --- but I start trusting it enough that I' moving to do most of my work there. I wouldn't want to give up my access to legacy yet, but I'm using v10 more.

If you have a single production system, I'd suggest remaining with the known problems rather than facing the unknown ones. If you are adventurous and manage to install both, that seems the best of both world)

I'm happy to see it's getting there. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 6/22/2021 at 5:31 PM, jbenson2 said:

Looking for opinions.
Should I UPGRADE or STAY with my "old-faithful" version?

I can't really add anything new that hasn't been said by the others, except I would suggest giving it a try now in parallel with Legacy.  It is developed far enough along that it will at least give you an idea of the direction that v10 is headed and the impact, or not, on your use case.  Load speed, search etc... should improve some over time but what v10 will likely be, is essentially there now.  If you don't like what you see or experience, you can start working on your plan B now instead of waiting for the Legacy withdrawal announcement.

• Like 1