Since upgrade to version 10, Android Evernote has been very slow

On my pixel 3a XL:

- It will take a long time to load the list of notebooks

- When the notebook list has loaded, it will often say they are empty and then take a long time to count up

- When opening a notebook, the thumbnails will often take minutes to show up, if they show up.

- Once the first thumbnails are there, scrolling will also mean a long wait for more thumbnails. In a notebook where I rely on thumbnails to find things, this makes it unusable.

- I have seen repeated crashes while browsing notebooks.

Is this a common theme? The previous version didn't suffer from these problems. My wife has the same problems on her phone (samsung s20 plus), but for her it seems even slower and crashes more than for me. We use shared notebooks for many things.

I've tried a complete reset and resync on both phones but it hasn't helped.

Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5

Ask support …

From what is posted in the forum it seems Android app users on Samsung devices are having more problems than users of other brands. Maybe there is an interference with stuff Samsung preinstalles on their devices.

The mobile app itself is running very well - on iOS …

I'm wondering if notes on the evernote back end need(ed) to be migrated for the evernote 10 client. I had a problem with notebooks being listed multiple times and this got solved by support modifying "something" (i have no idea what).

there's certainly no inherent reason why a samsung S20 should run evernote any slower than any other android phone. the google android compatibility suite means that software written for one phone will run within very narrow tolerances the same as on any other android phone (unless the app programmer deliberately decides to break out of the android runtime - something evernote doesn't do). the high-end processor in the s20 is also one of the fastest mobile processors available. 

i used to have an s20 plus (i have since moved to a pixel 6). I don't remember having any problems with speed on evernote. so do contact support!

On 4/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, agsteele said:

But I do notice that many reports of slowness on Android come from Samsung users. If course that could also be because Samsung had a corner on the Android market ;)

I think Samsung has a market share of about 25% of Android devices.

On 4/20/2022 at 6:41 PM, Merrow said:

Evernote still slow unusable on android takes minutes open a doc for months

This is not a general Android problem. In my Android devices i have not ever had this problem. My current hypothesis is that a back end update is necessary to speed up evernote on version 10 clients. Could you contact support?

10 hours ago, Alxa said:

Thanks @ehrt74 for this hint. As I am also suffering from the lag and loading times since EN10 I opened up a ticket refering to the potential backend update (long time user). Will report here.

Thanks for the reply! do keep me posted! i'd be interested in hearing what evernote says. I had a problem a while back with notebooks appearing twice in the notebook list and they fixed that with a back-end update.

Updates from support - Unfortunately no good. After doing the extra round with first level support, sending in screen recordings and so on I was handed over to tech support. They confirmed, that they "are aware" of the performance and slowness issues. They advised to wait (!) for a fix without any ETA or roll back to EN 8.13.3. So obviously this has nothing to do with a backend problem... Since the performance and loading times never really got better for over a year now I am wondering how long this waiting for a fix should last. On Android an ongoing disaster 😔

• Sad 2
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

I wonder what the difference is between your account and mine. I've never had performance problems in evernote 10 😕

Me neither. I'm of the opinion that it is a combination of device manufacturer and number of notes involved. But I could easily be wrong.

On 4/30/2022 at 2:40 PM, Alxa said:

Updates from support - Unfortunately no good. After doing the extra round with first level support, sending in screen recordings and so on I was handed over to tech support. They confirmed, that they "are aware" of the performance and slowness issues. They advised to wait (!) for a fix without any ETA or roll back to EN 8.13.3. So obviously this has nothing to do with a backend problem... Since the performance and loading times never really got better for over a year now I am wondering how long this waiting for a fix should last. On Android an ongoing disaster 😔

How many notes do you have in your total Evernote account?

13 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

I wonder what the difference is between your account and mine. I've never had performance problems in evernote 10 😕

4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Me neither. I'm off the opinion that it is a combination of device manufacturer and number of notes involved. But I could easily be wrong.

As per this support article and user reports in these forums, the new/v10 web version was initially disabled for accounts with more than 10,000 notes, and the support article implies that there could still be performance issues with very large accounts. Since the architectures are supposed to be very similar across all platforms, it wouldn't surprise me at all if mobile app performance was also impacted by users with very large numbers of notes.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Alxa said:

I have only 1800 notes. Around 9 GB in ENEX backup. Given the limit of 100.000 notes per account I thought I was no heavy user 😉

You're correct 1,800 notes doesn't seem high. Which device are you using?

Also, how many notes, if any, have you selected to run offline through Offline Notebooks?

All in the spirit of trying to find where or usage differs.

• Like 1

I have the same issue with version 10 on Android (Pixel 4a 5g). My notebooks take ages to load, Home view does not update, a saved search only loads 4 out of 16 results. Similar to some other users I have also deleted the cache, reinstalled the app and whatever you can imagine, with no result. I am more or less happy with where the Windows version got to but the Android user experience is a joke. I have around 13,000 notes in total so I don't know if that is too much to handle but it shouldn't be considering that 100,000 notes per account is the upper limit.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, kkarasu said:

I am more or less happy with where the Windows version got to but the Android user experience is a joke.

Same here. I have zero complains over Windows client (no need for support at all), but on Android... oh boy. The worst is, that support is only acknowledging the android issues, but not solving them.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Support won't solve an issue. They can wrap it up nicely and pass it on to the devs, and that is it.

Typically software bugs are solved when issuing a new release. In former times we had to wait for months at a time until things finally moved. Tempi passati  - with anew release every 2-3 weeks, EN now rolls out bugfixes usually with the second release after we had reported them in. This is give and take a week 1 month to solve things - pretty damn good.

I am new to putting anything here but Evernote on my Motorola android phone are dreadful. It didn't used to be. No other apps have this problem.

Why is it so difficult for Evernote to be contacted direct when a problem from the forum isn't answered.

It is becoming as bad as getting responses from doctors.

Steve Marples

I made it to tech support level: don't want to depress anybody here but they said, they hope that substantial improvements on performance and sync on Android client are not expected before end of the year. At least they meant this year 😉

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
On 5/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, kkarasu said:

I have the same issue with version 10 on Android (Pixel 4a 5g). My notebooks take ages to load, Home view does not update, a saved search only loads 4 out of 16 results. Similar to some other users I have also deleted the cache, reinstalled the app and whatever you can imagine, with no result. I am more or less happy with where the Windows version got to but the Android user experience is a joke. I have around 13,000 notes in total so I don't know if that is too much to handle but it shouldn't be considering that 100,000 notes per account is the upper limit.

Update: I have reached out to support and although my hopes were not high due to the comments here on the forum, they actually solved the issue. I need to say that in addition to the general slowness of the app, I also identified sync issues during the process. Some stuff didn't get into Evernote on Android nor out. I didn't realized it earlier because basically I stopped using it since the new version first came out on Android. 

They told me they did some backend changes. Not sure what they are, but for the first time since Evernote 10 arrived on Android, it became usable. I still would not say that the new Evernote on Android is an outstanding experience overall. But now, notes sync both ways, notebooks and home view load faster than before (significantly less than a minute as was the case before), and the app became somewhat more responsive in general. 

I had tried everything previously, deleting cache, and app data, re-installing the app all to no avail. I wasn't ever able to use the new version of the App on Android since it came out but now it will be useful definitely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, kkarasu said:

Update: I have reached out to support and although my hopes were not high due to the comments here on the forum, they actually solved the issue. I need to say that in addition to the general slowness of the app, I also identified sync issues during the process. Some stuff didn't get into Evernote on Android nor out. I didn't realized it earlier because basically I stopped using it since the new version first came out on Android. 

They told me they did some backend changes. Not sure what they are, but for the first time since Evernote 10 arrived on Android, it became usable. I still would not say that the new Evernote on Android is an outstanding experience overall. But now, notes sync both ways, notebooks and home view load faster than before (significantly less than a minute as was the case before), and the app became somewhat more responsive in general. 

I had tried everything previously, deleting cache, and app data, re-installing the app all to no avail. I wasn't ever able to use the new version of the App on Android since it came out but now it will be useful definitely.

yep. this was my experience too with a synching problem. support did "some backend change" and then things worked. this adds fuel to the hypothesis that the problem with evernote on android is a backend problem and not a problem with the app or the OS.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

yep. this was my experience too with a synching problem. support did "some backend change" and then things worked. this adds fuel to the hypothesis that the problem with evernote on android is a backend problem and not a problem with the app or the OS.

I think we have to be careful how we define the problem. It seems that the small percentage of users experiencing severe performance issues (whether on Android or possibly also the other clients) could have their issues resolved by Evernote support fixing something on the back-end.

But it's also true that the Android app, even on a good day, performs noticeably worse than a fully native app. Personally, the performance has increased enough over the last 18+ months that I find it acceptable, although what I don't find acceptable is the long-standing bugs that for some reason they refuse to fix, such as this one:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I think we have to be careful how we define the problem. It seems that the small percentage of users experiencing severe performance issues (whether on Android or possibly also the other clients) could have their issues resolved by Evernote support fixing something on the back-end.

But it's also true that the Android app, even on a good day, performs noticeably worse than a fully native app. Personally, the performance has increased enough over the last 18+ months that I find it acceptable, although what I don't find acceptable is the long-standing bugs that for some reason they refuse to fix, such as this one:

I'm not so sure. I've never had performance problems with the v.10 app on Android 😕 however i agree with you about the bugs. there are still a couple of them involving sharing of data to evernote on android which i run into every now and then. i wonder how many of them come from the framework evernote is using and how many can be fixed by evernote?

• Like 1