Evernote widgets are gone?

This is currently the case with the new android-app. Widgets are supposed to be added back in later. Here is a quote from the release information:

"As we continue to release improvements and functionality on Android, some features you may be looking for are still on the way. Future updates will include widgets, multi-select, sharing a note via email, password manager support, and support for devices running Android 9 and earlier."

Source:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

This is a deal breaker for me. The widget was an integral part of my workflow. I'm actually cancelling my premium because of this. I'm glad that Evernote Android has had well-needed overhaul, but to add a bunch of features that are cosmetic at best, and to remove one of the core functions I use.... I can't justify paying a subscription any longer. No news on when the widget will be back. I have asked Evernote on multiple platforms but received nothing but silence. I'm guessing they don't have time or don't care to respond. Will consider a subscription again if this feature ever returns.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
On 12/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, KinNJ said:

Just completed an update, and all of my widgets are gone. Actually they are not even available. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes i have the same problem. in outlook the icon is gone and is not available in the add-ins. I cannot drag and drop the emails into evernote anymore. i have to just forward them.

• Sad 1

I see it is not "yet" available. Why on earth release the new version to strip away features? Make the widget a separate so and you would not have that issue. Surely the widget connects to an api in Evernote which can be kept compatible?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hello there,

the following is what i was told by support:

I would also like to thank you for the new information you have provided.

With the introduction of the new Evernote for Windows app, we made the decision to discontinue support for Outlook Clipper and we won’t be making any further updates to this add-on. The alternative and recommended solution is to use the Evernote for Outlook add-on, which is a separate installation that will allow you to have the same type of Outlook integration that you do now.

To learn more, visit this Help & Learning article: How to use Evernote for Outlook.

I cannot understand why they would remove a key piece of functionality. It's a real pain to keep an app on Android at the old version. I have reinstalled the previous version until the widget is fixed. I can only hope that the new app architecture means that the weather will become back soon and will be running as a distaste service (maybe even a separate app) Betsy decoupled via an API which meant this is the last time this will happen. Hey, why not open up the api and get the community developing integrating and widgets of their own?

At least some indication of the timelessness of the "not yet" supported would be nice. Please - if you are reading this Evernote... You want your loyal community on your side in this don't you? 

I think that it's great that the whole so and architecture has been rewritten from the ground up - something that many orgs to not take the opportunity to evolve their products and which can be a key enable for future work. But you need to be more transparent about it and bring your community with you...

When essential parts of the APP will come later you should publish it as Beta, clearly stating what is not included. It's enough now, the New PC program was ***** and the new Android APP is too.

Instead of creating new stupid enhancements the should for example give the possibility to store Evernote contents on external SD Card.

Hartmut

They need to start calling these downdates instead of updates. Why am I requesting features I already had? Why are things now slower and more buggy than they were before? My yearly subscription is up in May...I'll be looking to move to Cryptee if some of these things aren't fixed. And I'll agree with the others on here...crickets from their social channels, meanwhile there is an uproar from many of us who have supported them for years. I have been a paying member for 7+ years and use to talk up Evernote all the time but in the last couple of years they have made the user experience clunky and awkward with almost every update. While Evernote started out being the exact opposite. Sad. 

• Like 1

I think what I most object to is Evernote dismissing their users/customers with standard wording when asked about this. "We haven’t yet built widget support into the new Evernote for Android, but it's near the top of our list."

This really doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to fix this mess any time soon, and is an outright refusal to answer an honest question. If Evernote had any respect for their users they would be honest, give a rough timescale or estimate when they will fix this. That way people could make an informed decision about whether or not Evernote is worth paying for. I've already cancelled my premium and it expires the end of this month. Based on my experience so far it's unlikely that I'll hear a peep out of Evernote by the time it runs out.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, andrew007 said:

One would think Evernote would do a survey to ask customers if they use this service and what they think about having it discontinued instead of just canceling it without notice. Get a little input from subscribers first.

Agreed, it's bizarre that they made such drastic changes without reading the room.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:40 AM, StevanP said:

If we could downgrade to the legacy app the widgets would return. 

Anyone know if this is possible on Androids 10?

Hi Stevan, I did it successfully, here is my way

uninstall current evernote from your Android phone and get older version from the web(APK mirror).I have used this link to download the older APK but maybe there are better options. Be careful not to click on any AD button,  - site is full of ads, - take the green "DOWNLOAD APK" one.  (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/evernote-notes-organizer-daily-planner-8-13-3-3-android-apk-download/). I am not sure if this particular version would fit your phone, so please google first, what previous version was a fit. (Mine is Samsung S9)
After you install an old version, you should also deactivate autoupdate on this particular app, otherwise new one will just come again(in Play Store settings) automatically.

This way I got my widgets back and will wait till new version has them too. Widgets are THE advantage Evernote had over other products on Android, very strange that they left it on the backlog. 

• Like 2

I think the new app for android is already in many ways much more capable than the legacy app and they've written it (while migrating the entire infrastructure) in under 2 years. The speed of progress is enormous.

Legacy is for Windows and has no widgets. To have back the widgets on Android you must uninstall evernote 10 Android and install 8.13 apk. 

But you must synchroise all your notes. Or does anybody know were the offline notebooks are stored on the Android6device? 

Hartmut 

On 12/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, Laimonas said:

Hi Stevan, I did it successfully, here is my way

uninstall current evernote from your Android phone and get older version from the web(APK mirror).I have used this link to download the older APK but maybe there are better options. Be careful not to click on any AD button,  - site is full of ads, - take the green "DOWNLOAD APK" one.  (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/evernote-notes-organizer-daily-planner-8-13-3-3-android-apk-download/). I am not sure if this particular version would fit your phone, so please google first, what previous version was a fit. (Mine is Samsung S9)
After you install an old version, you should also deactivate autoupdate on this particular app, otherwise new one will just come again(in Play Store settings) automatically.

This way I got my widgets back and will wait till new version has them too. Widgets are THE advantage Evernote had over other products on Android, very strange that they left it on the backlog. 

To make sure it doesn't auto update until they bring back the widgets you need to self-sign the apk:

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/permanently-stop-any-app-from-updating-play-store-no-computer-needed-0184063/

I'll check back in a month and if they still don't bring the widget it's time to move on. The main reason I use Evernote is for quick note taking and quick searching. 

On 12/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, MarkB06 said:

To make sure it doesn't auto update until they bring back the widgets you need to self-sign the apk:

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/permanently-stop-any-app-from-updating-play-store-no-computer-needed-0184063/

I'll check back in a month and if they still don't bring the widget it's time to move on. The main reason I use Evernote is for quick note taking and quick searching. 

Same would be the case with me as well. 'Quick notes' is THE major part of my workflow, when it comes to EN in Android . If that's not going to be available, I need to seriously reconsider Evernote. Downgraded to 8.13 version and started some trial running with Notion and Joplin. It's not just the lack of the feature in the latest version alone, the non-mentioning of the this, in future roadmap, as well is worrisome...sad

On 12/23/2020 at 2:51 AM, Laimonas said:

there is a comming soon page but no Android on it, any clue why ?

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058361833

iOS widget is promissed to come soon. I hope this is a matter of weeks, not months...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At least they added the Widgets back with a recent update to v10.  All that was there initially was a link to the app.  

Problem now is you used to be able to select a Notebook for which to create a new note using an Evernote action widget.  I don't see that as an option anymore.  I want my notes created with a widget to go into a specific notebook - otherwise I have to go in manually later on and move them all.

1 hour ago, traumadoc2b said:

At least they added the Widgets back with a recent update to v10.  All that was there initially was a link to the app.  

Problem now is you used to be able to select a Notebook for which to create a new note using an Evernote action widget.  I don't see that as an option anymore.  I want my notes created with a widget to go into a specific notebook - otherwise I have to go in manually later on and move them all.

My complaint is that i cannot just move an email directly to an Evernote folder. i don't know how to save the email in a client folder at all. Also i can't figure you how to change the name on a folder. I wish they would have just left it alone. I loved the old way. that is why I did not update my other computers.  Sorry but what the heck is a "widget?"

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, andrew007 said:

My complaint is that i cannot just move an email directly to an Evernote folder. i don't know how to save the email in a client folder at all. Also i can't figure you how to change the name on a folder. I wish they would have just left it alone. I loved the old way. that is why I did not update my other computers.  Sorry but what the heck is a "widget?"

A widget is a shortcut that can be placed on the device screen which allows the user to do something directly with an appp without opening the app and following internal menus.  For example, a widget might allow you to create a new note inside Evernote bypassing several steps to get to the new note screen.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by moving an Email directly into an Evernote folder. Gmail has an optional add-on to enable you to send an Email into Evernote. You also have the ability, as a Premium user, to forward the Email to your secret Evernote address and it will then appear inthe notebook you select. You can also share the screen content with Evernote which will create a new note with the Email content included.

I'm not aware that there has ever been another method.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:47 PM, tm87 said:

This is currently the case with the new android-app. Widgets are supposed to be added back in later. Here is a quote from the release information:

Source:

Thanks tm87, that is helpful. Hopefully being able to save a note with notebook and tags also is fixed soon.

I used to move the emails to enote using the widget.  I sent them to enote via the widget in upper right corner of outlook. that is the widget that does not appear anymore on the new update. So now i have to forward them to the enote address. It was much easier with the widget.

• 2 weeks later...