Alternatives to Evernote 10

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I use the official Evernote Legacy application, supplemented with AppleScript (Mac)

I do have 2 accounts I run side by side on my machine, so that's where the Alternate client came handy to run beside Evernote. I didn't know I can install them side by side without creating a mess with the database.  I thought having 2 Evernote installations wasn't possible. (while there are work-arounds with 2nd start-as-another-user etc, that's true)

• Level 5

If you have 2 accounts, you can’t create chaos, since there are no syncing conflicts.

The clients allow to switch between accounts. So you can access 2 accounts with just one client, but not at the same time.

For a second access the legacy client can be used, or the web client, or both, which allows the simultaneous access to 3 different accounts. Even when used on the same account, syncing conflicts should only appear when the same note is opened and changed on 2 clients at the same time.

• 2 months later...

I made my co-workers work with Evernote, but I could feel their frustration.

I decided to try Nimbus. Not test it, I do not have the time. Just try it. Imported one Evernote work notebook.

Well, I'll be damned. What's not to like?

Maybe some have tested it and have some knowledge to share. 

(I think the  table of the OP is not up-to-date.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently mostly using a mix of:

Evernote non Legacy v7 (green icon is easier to find on dock) on work "test" laptop running Big Sur (app works though has some annoyances more to do with v7 than OS conflicts I think, and "helper" apps are sometimes a bit unhappy and crash);

Evernote v8 on my Android 8 phone;

NixNote2 on a Linux laptop;

Sometimes use a non Legacy Windows v6 app but rarely;

Just recently had the pleasure of spending a couple of days a week back in the office rather than working from home where my main computer is a Mac mini with Mojave and has a copy of Evernote v5 (IMHO best version on Mac) which I know works up to macOS Catalina but NOT on Big Sur. Until "covid" EN v5 Mac was what I used most.

I have very very briefly played with Quentier, a for now fairly basic cross platform (Mac, Windows and Linux) client using the Qt framework sometimes described as "public alpha" by the developer, but appears to work. NixNote2 is built with same framework but has primary focus on Linux with Mac and Windows support going in and out of fashion depending on whatever developer forks and maintains the code. Development of Quentier is somewhat slow but ongoing. Might be something I start using in the future.

Have tried many of the "complete alternatives" listed throughout the forum but have either had technical issues (so much use of Electron framework) or had major personal preference issues in term of the UI, sometimes again related to so many of them using the Electron framework...

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 11:27 AM, fredhammersmith said:

I made my co-workers work with Evernote, but I could feel their frustration.

I decided to try Nimbus. Not test it, I do not have the time. Just try it. Imported one Evernote work notebook.

Well, I'll be damned. What's not to like?

Maybe some have tested it and have some knowledge to share. 

(I think the  table of the OP is not up-to-date.)

Nimbus is impressive, but since you're asking, here are the reasons I did not switch to Nimbus after seriously testing it for amonth:

• Export: The html export gives you a zip file for every note. So, if you are like me and want a human readable backup, there is an extra step involved. An extra step for every single note. 
  • Connectivity: Nimbus is on ifttt, but only as receiving app - there is no way to get data out that way. There may be technical reasons for this, not sure, but it feels like a lock-in.
  • Search is lacking.
    • No way to use AND or NOT operators for tag searches.
    • Search always defaults to all notes, no way to quickly search the notebook (folder) you're in. 
  • No import folders
  • Unclear (for me) why you have two ways to add documents - inline or attachment. If you send email to nimbus, files get added as attachment, which means no preview. Webclipper adds them inline, but handling of inline files is incosistent, too - sometimes you need one click to open / download, sometimes it takes two. Sometimes images can be set as preview, sometimes they cannot.
  • Then, there are some GUI issues that make it clumsy (for me):
    • No standard keyboard shortcuts like "del" to delete a note
    • If you delete or move a note, the focus goes back to the first note in the notebook, which makes organizing a neverending scroll endeavour
    • No way to edit the create date other than clicking through the months. (Not sure if anyone except me ever uses that :) )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still on EN v5.9.1 for lack of dark backgrounds so I didn't know about this v10 fiasco until today. The facts are that I need my notes on all of my devices, and I HATE HATE HATE the web interface. Also, $100/year is just too much to pay, but I am willing to pay $50/year max. So my hunt is on.

My use-case: Pretty typical. Webclips and simple note taking with some scanned documents -- maybe 4000 notes. I use it on every device. I do find myself using Notepad++ more often because of its tab-sessions and its ability to open so many file formats. I also LOVE its syntax highlighting. So, Evernote for saving and syncing stuff; Notepad++ for scrap notes and experimenting with scripts. I use Ditto for snippets and memory jogging.

I am considering Zoho Notebook. It's free. Why isn't anybody talking about it? I've searched the forum. The only problem I've come across is the lack of a clean list view. I'm willing to see if I can get over it if it's as good as it seems.

I'm also considering Nimbus, but you guys say it's slow with 1000's of notes.

Third, I'm considering Clipto-pro Desktop -- a cross between a clipboard synchronizer and a note taker ON STEROIDS. Drawback: I haven't figured out how to paste webclips and images into it quickly. It seems to only accept the text and url's (which it shows preview snippets of.) I can only import images via file browser??? I've posted this question to the developer so we shall see what's up. This could replace Ditto and Evernote potentially. It's very new though, with a lot of promise.

I'm going to give all 3 a whirl with a big chunk of notes to weigh them down. I'll come back and check on things here.

4 hours ago, gggirlgeek said:

I am considering Zoho Notebook. It's free. Why isn't anybody talking about it?

I have used Zoho Notes and likewise noticed nobody really talks about it. It's a good service. However it reminded me more of Google Keep. At the time anyway, its editor and abilities were kind of simple, but definitely useful. 

The Zoho team seems to like their notes product; I think I was talking with one of the devs on Reddit. It's a side project of their main, monetized Zoho business products.