Alternatives to Evernote 10

Here are a few alternatives to Evernot 10. The information has been compiled from the discussions in this forum.  

Notion, OneNote, Keep It, Nimbus, Roam, Standard Notes

Please update the table with what you know. 

I would request the Forum moderator to make this post editable. Thank you. 

I have made my decision. I wish you all the best with yours. 

OneNote
Notion 
Keep It
Nimbus
Roam
Standard Notes
offline storage
yes
no
yes
no

sync button

no

yes

sorting of notebooks
automatic
drag and drop

title", "created date" and "update"

search
fast
fast
fast

OCR
yes
no

tags search
no
yes

batch note import
yes
yes

clipping

yes

document storage

cache location
data drive
system drive

supported
yes
yes

zero knowledge encryption

no

own data

no

price/month

$0

$4.99
expensive

show attachments

Excel

Word

PDF

views

card view

yes

no

list view

yes

yes

speed (compared to EN10)

faster

faster

colour tagging

yes

yes

save searches

tags support

yes

web clipper

yes

yes

Outlook clipper
no
no
no
no
no

send email copy

no

search function

tags

yes

within notebook

yes

within stacks

no

features

notes

yes

tags

yes

stacks

yes

print capability

single notes

no

multiple notes

no

sort

creation date

yes

modify date

yes

title

yes

ascending

yes

descending

yes

relevance

shortcut keys

yes

Electron app
no
yes

yes

Window 10 app

yes
?
yes

Mac OS app

yes
yes

Note count shown
on notebook

no

yes

can open multiple notes

no

no

• Like 7
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, waspnwisky said:

Here are a few alternatives to Evernot 10. The information has been compiled from the discussions in this forum.  

OneNote
Notion 
Keep It
Nimbus
Roam
Standard Notes
offline storage
yes
no
yes
no

sync button

no

yes

sorting of notebooks
automatic
drag and drop

title", "created date" and "update"

search
fast
fast
fast

OCR
yes
no

tags search
no
yes

batch note import
yes
yes

clipping

yes

document storage

cache location
data drive
system drive

supported
yes
yes

zero knowledge encryption

no

own data

no

price/month

$0

$4.99
expensive

show attachments

Excel

Word

PDF

views

card view

yes

no

list view

yes

yes

speed (compared to EN10)

faster

faster

colour tagging

yes

yes

save searches

tags support

yes

web clipper

yes

yes

Outlook clipper
no
no
no
no
no

send email copy

no

search function

tags

yes

within notebook

yes

within stacks

no

features

notes

yes

tags

yes

stacks

yes

print capability

single notes

no

multiple notes

no

sort

creation date

yes

modify date

yes

title

yes

ascending

yes

descending

yes

relevance

shortcut keys

yes

Electron app
no
yes

yes

Window 10 app

yes
?
yes

Mac OS app

yes
yes

Note count shown
on notebook

no

yes

can open multiple notes

no

no

Hi. I don't know that the post can be made editable by anyone else. At least, not by me. Sorry. 

• Level 5

Notes of other users can't be made editable.

One way to do something like this would be to create a publicly shared document in one of the cloud services, and place the link here. However, this means anybody can access, alter and probably delete it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, waspnwisky said:

This will take some work to maintain, but will be helpful to others.  I would also suggest adding DEVONthink, Apple Notes and Bear to the list, and maybe posting this on Google docs.  Posts here aren't editable by anyone other than the poster.

• Like 1

I found this comparison helpful. There are bits and pieces all over the forums. Many people in Evernote currently feel overwhelmed. I have found Notion to be very good. I will not be updating the table here but somebody else might like to put it on Google Drive or such. One correction to the table should be made - Notion costs $5 per month for unlimited file uploads (PDF, etc) and that will be needed. I hope you find it helpful. This forum is the best place for people looking for solutions. Forums are often monitored by product development too. This table could benefit many. 
Notion shows that Electron does not need to be slow. This is a killer for me as is using an unsupported product. Evernote 10 has no roadmap and with missing functionality resulted in the collapse of my workflow. 
The paradigm of a desktop app is flawed too. Notion is just as fast, if not faster, in a Chrome browser. Chrome is the new OS - why talk about Windows 10 or Mac OS - everything runs in tabs in Chrome. In a browser, you can have any number of tabs open for Notion - not surprisingly. Integration between web apps is through APIs - work like a dream. Why download/upload the data when it is already in the cloud. 
 I was stuck in the daily routine did not consider other options. I have probably wasted too much time stuck with a dated concept. I am grateful,  however, that I have come to realise that. 
I have made my decision. I wish you all the best with yours. There are so many good apps out there. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, waspnwisky said:

Here are a few alternatives to Evernot 10.

For myself, I consider the top alternative to Evernote 10    
is Evernote Legacy

I'll  monitor v10 and possibly switch after this initial work is completed

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, DTLow said:

is Evernote Legacy

I thought so, too, initially, but have now migrated to Devonthink as I have simply lost trust in EN. will be hard to win folks like me back to EN even if they get their act together eventually. so many of us have / had a strong emotional bond with EN, which is odd to say about a piece of software, yet it holds true for me. but once one realizes that other tools are good, too, maybe even better this is likely becoming a one way street...

but then again, hey, I have migrated my data away, de-installed the EN browser plugin and the mobile app and am still posting on the EN forums, so maybe not all is lost (yet)...:-D

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, toao said:

so many of us have / had a strong emotional bond with EN, which is odd to say about a piece of software, yet it holds true for me.

This is so true for me too!! So odd but it really is true. Right now I am messing with Nimbus and I think it does a lot of things right but I just can't bring myself to leave Evernote. Is it the elephant, is the colors, is it my 28K notes? :) I don't know but I am really hoping for V10 to be a great app very soon and I am not feeling this unease anymore.

• Level 5

Currently many of us have discovered that EN legacy although not really developed further in 2 years is not so bad in the end.

Plus I see potential in v10, not for every use case and every user, but at least for me.

So for the time being, I use a combination of v10 on iOS and legacy on Mac and Windows. There is no need to rush things, while v10 evolves. I have doubts regarding several aspects that are important for me, but maybe there will be some positive surprise for a change. Our expectations have been hung low enough for this during the last weeks !

• Like 2
20 hours ago, DTLow said:

is Evernote Legacy

I also agree that Evernote legacy is still much better than Evernote 10.xx (I am working with a premium and business account). The EN10 has broken some key mechanisms. In order to use a number of tags repeatedly for the same type of notes it was possible in the previous versions of windows 10 Evernote client to recall the notes by a saved search. A new note or document could easily be dragged to the saved search resulting in adding the note while copying the tags of the other notes. We are using this features daily if not hourly.  This is no longer working.

Also the hide unassigned tags button has disappeared while using ctr-alt-T, which makes managing tags between notes undoable.

Than search which is the reason to be for Evernote is now in some small little box on the side......

To mention a few things.....

• Like 1

There's a thread on Reddit as well which is attempting a similar exercise.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/comments/j87fb9/please_help_me_find_the_evernote_alternative/

I think it depends what you're using it for - I tend to use OneNote for note-taking (ie. study notes and similar), and also use it for meeting notes at work, and EN for basically records management - receipts, filing of letters and stuff, tax paperwork.    

An open source alternative is Joplin, which I'm going to have a look at: https://joplinapp.org/

• Like 1

If you by some reasons willing to try some Evernote alternatives this is a list with the best of them.

The legend:

• T.ransition. App has a transition mechanism from Evernote (e.g. *.enex import with metadata).

• O.S. App works and can sync between all OS (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS).

• H.ost. The app can be used with self-hosted storage for notes in a case if development been stopped or cardinally changed the view of the product.

• R.ich. App has a rich editor that means you can add pictures, docs, links, change fonts, lists.

• F.iltering. App has extensive filtering and searching mechanism (e.g. "-tag:A tag:B any: tag:C tag:D todo:False")

• S.earch. The app can search all text in notes and attached documents.

• M.anaging. App has some tools for managing tags if you have many of them (e.g. trees of tags, a separate window for tags).

• C.lipper. App has a browser clipper and a snapshot tool.

• V.iew. App has a cards view like Old Evernote has and simple separated window for one note.

• E.xport. The app can export and import the database in a format comparable with other note-taking apps.

• B.ig. The app can handle large amounts of notes at once (e.g. moving, changing tags, merging, deleting).

• P.rivate. App has encryption or some private solutions that prevent developers from reading your content.

So if you see these letters UPPERCASE, it means the app has a feature; otherwise, it doesn't. In the beginning, all letters will be lowercase. If you see all letters lowercase and the app name doesn't have a link, it means I haven't checked this app yet. Please, help me if you can.

• 10 TOhRFSMCVEBp Evernote Old

• 10 TohRFSMCVEBP Keep It (see post)

• 9 TOHRFSmcvEBP Joplin (see post)

• 7 tOHRFsmcVEbP Turtl

• 6 TOHRfSmcvebP Standard Notes

• 6 TOhRFsmcVEbp Notion

• 6 TOhRfSmcvEbP Amplenote (see post)

• 5 TOhRfSmCvebp Nimbus Note

• 5 TOhRfSmCvebp OneNote

• 5 tOhRFSmcvEbp Workflowy

• 5 toHRFSmcvEbp TiddlyWiki

• 5 toHRFSmcvEbp Obsidian

• 5 toHRFSmcvebP Trilium (see post)

• 4 TOhRfSmcvebp Evernote New

• 4 toHrfSmcVebP SilentNotes (see post)

• 3 TOhrfSmcvEbp Simplenote

• 3 tOhRfSmcvebp DropBox Paper

• 3 tOhRfSmcvebp ProofHub

• 2 tOhRfsmcvebp Clipto

• 2 tOhRfsmcvebp WizNote

• 2 tOhrfSmcvebp Google Keep

• 2 tohRfSmcvebp Remnote

• 1 tOhrfsmcvebp Nebo

• 1 tohRfsmcvebp ClickUp

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Noteshelf

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Boostnote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Tettra

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp CintaNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notejoy

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Quip

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Box Notes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Todoist

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp GoodNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Milanote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Squid Notes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zotero

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Day One

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zoho Notebook

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp WhizFolders

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp NoteLedge

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zim

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp CherryTree

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Paperwork

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notezilla

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp TagSpaces

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Dynalist

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Leanote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Polar

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp QOwnNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zenkit

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp SynapBook

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Org-Mode

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp WeDo

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Supernotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Checkvist

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Nuclino

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Omni-Notes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Taskade

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notability

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Cryptee

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Slite

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Notable

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp ColorNote

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Cronycle

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Laverna

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Falcon

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Scrivener

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Airstory

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Lumhaa

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Zettlr

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Hugo

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp FSNotes App

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp SilentNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp GigaNotes

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Typora

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp notebooksapp.com

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Bear

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Roam

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp Codegiant

• 0 tohrfsmcvebp DEVONthink

Original post you can find here

• Thanks 2

Thanks. Does anyone have first hand experience with Joplin? I'm really unhappy with the latest version. It's clear that they did not think through tags at all, and those of us who use them as a hierarchy (because EN doesn't have a decent notbook hierarchy for no good reason) are in trouble.

BEWARE. If you use tag hierarchies, you may have noticed that some notes can no longer been seen by browsing it. Browsing to a tag that is not at the bottom of the hierarchy will not show you notes with that tag - only subsidiary tags. That means that notes you could previously find have vanished from their normal place, and if they only have that one tag, have vanished from the tag hierarchy entirely.

And, it is not easy, given the weak tags UI, to find those notes and fix them. You can only find them with a search. The procedure is:

• Bring up the overall tags directory (click on "Tags" in the left pane).
  • Look for tags that have non-zero notes and subsidiary tags. Those tags have hidden notes.
  • Create a new tag that will hold the hidden notes
    • As far as I can tell, you can only do that by adding the tag to a note, then finding the tag in the summary, clicking on the "..." and moving it to where it needs to be. Drag and drop are missing, as is the right mouse button functions, for pretty much the whole weak tags UI!
  • Now go to the search bar and put in the tag they are hiding under. A list of notes will appear - SOME of which are of interest
  • For each note
    • Put in the new tag where they will live
    • remove the old tag
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Katz said:

Yes, I've chosen Joplin as the closest alternative to Evernote. You can ask any questions if you need. Or you can use Joplin discussion.

Joplin is looking like a front runner for me.  Can I ask, do you use a document scanner?  A pretty major part of what I do with EN is scan in any mail and receipts and use as a virtual filing cabinet/records management system.  I'm trying to see if anyone has any feedback on this use case, although I might just have to have a play around on it and see how it goes.

38 minutes ago, Big Trev said:

Can I ask, do you use a document scanner?

I use an Android phone for scanning, so my choice is Adobe Scan. I like it much better than Evernote because of accurate clipping and the ability to scan into one PDF or separate JPGs. For example, I scan all receipts using my phone into JPG and then paste it into Joplin.

But another alternative is do it automatically, that is discussed here.

• Like 1

I have just uninstalled the new Evernote 10 for Windows and reinstalled what is now called Legacy Evernote. 

Evernote 10 on Windows is completely unusable.   Waiting several minutes after startup before being able to see any note.  Several minutes more to switch from one note to another.  Search function never responds.  It is much quicker to use Evernote in a Web browser (by the way, I have a very fast Internet connection so that is not the problem with the new Windows version).  

Then I found that import folders were no longer supported, a feature that I have depended heavily on for years, especially for direct input from my scanner..   This is a showstopper.

Also it is not clear that I could ever re-open my locally archived notebooks (material that I no longer want to appear in the app or searches).

If the "Legacy", ie functional, version is not developed in future, I will have to stop my subscription after 10 years and move all my notes to OneNote (which I already use at work).   

For those, like me, who have become disgruntled Evernoters (in my case, Premium since mid-2008), and who have been sorely disappointed with these latest "upgrades" to v10 on all platforms, I've been searching for a suitable alternative.  I've been looking for something that does what Evernote has traditionally done well - act as a brain/memory extension.

I've played with Notion, DevonThink, OneNote, Apple Notes, Roam Research, and a few others.  None of these quite fits the bill as a close Evernote replacement, either on my Macs, on my work Win10 PC, my iPad, or my iPhone. In each of those, something is missing - eg offline notes and notebooks, ability to email INTO your account, or email a note OUT OF your account, etc etc.

I have now come across the app which comes closest by far to the spirit of the golden years of Evernote.

Check out Notejoy.  No, I'd never heard of it either, until somebody among all the Evernote disgruntled on Twitter mentioned it, and I've been giving it a try.  They are due to release a direct Evernote import utility in the next month, and they are just about to add the feature of being able to email a note to somebody else.  You can already email anything you want INTO Notejoy.

I've been on real-time chat with one of their team, and they seem extremely responsive and keen to get more widely known, and to fill in the gap left by the demise of Evernote as we knew it.  From what I've seen so far, in about a week of playing with it, it really does seem about as close as I've got to a true Evernote replacement.  In addition, it DOES allow you to have video clips in notes, unlike Evernote where most of my clips that contain video are stored as either a blank frame or just a URL.

Check out Notejoy - I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever. I hadn't even heard of them until a few days ago.

https://notejoy.com/?r=3dbadf18dbff

EDIT: Extra disclaimer - I just discovered that the referral link above carries a small credit towards Notejoy subscription if it results in somebody else joining, which I didn't know when I posted the above.  Hence this extra disclaimer.  But don't let that put you off (it's actually a good thing).  Just overnight (in my time zone) they added the ability to directly email notes to other people, who do not need Notejoy to receive and read them.

https://notejoy.com/releases?id=261

On 10/30/2020 at 1:37 AM, jowett2001 said:

Then I found that import folders were no longer supported, a feature that I have depended heavily on for years, especially for direct input from my scanner..   This is a showstopper.

Hello, it sounds like your use case may be similar to mine.  Much of what I put into Evernote is scanned receipts/documents from a Scansnap scanner.  How have you found that works with OneNote - are you able to give any tips?  For instance, at the moment I have a Filing and a Receipts folder for each financial year, and I just dump them in there and tag as needed (eg. if it may be something I can claim on tax it goes into Tax 2021 folder).  

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Big Trev said:

Much of what I put into Evernote is scanned receipts/documents from a Scansnap scanner.  How have you found that works with OneNote - are you able to give any tips?  For instance, at the moment I have a Filing and a Receipts folder for each financial year, and I just dump them in there and tag as needed (eg. if it may be something I can claim on tax it goes into Tax 2021 folder). 

Outlook  OneNote tips should be discussed in the Outlook OneNote forums   
My use in Evernote   
- a single 'Filing Cabinet" notebook
- Receipts (scanned or email) are tagged with !Type-Receipt     
- Also tags for vendor and budget category    
- A !Taxyyyymmdd tag if appropriate   
- The note title is prefixed with the subject date

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Outlook tips should be discussed in the Outlook forums   
My use in Evernote   
- a single 'Filing Cabinet" notebook
- Receipts (scanned or email) are tagged with !Type-Receipt     
- Also tags for vendor and budget category    
- A !Taxyyyymmdd tag if appropriate   
- The note title is prefixed with the subject date

I'm not sure what you mean about Outlook?

Thanks for your response, but I'm trying to get an idea of how to do what I'm currently doing in Evernote in OneNote, since Evernote is now broken and I am looking at alternatives.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Big Trev said:

I'm not sure what you mean about Outlook?

Thanks for your response, but I'm trying to get an idea of how to do what I'm currently doing in Evernote in OneNote, since Evernote is now broken and I am looking at alternatives.

Currently there seem to be two main strategies: Move away to other apps or use legacy EN apps until v10 gained maturity.

Both are in fact playing with the future, the first by switching to often smaller, less established competitors (or large ones with a history, like MS), the other with the ability of the EN team to get things fixed and improved.

Personally I am currently fine with using legacy. Where I transitioned (iOS) I was positively surprised by the latest release 10.1. Not yet there (or even close), but moving to a stable and feature-rich app.

• Like 1

Yes, 10.2 seems encouraging to be honest. If it means a slow trickle of returning functionality, I'll wait. With the appsumo Nimbus deal, I've taken a serious look at Nimbus and I've really got new doubts from what I've read. It's just not there yet.

Right now, then, as you put so well @PinkElephant , I'm considering either jumping to Joplin (not Nimbus, now) or waiting for the elephant. I've no imminent renewal deadline though, so I can wait for a while. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, waspnwisky said:

I found this comparison helpful. There are bits and pieces all over the forums. Many people in Evernote currently feel overwhelmed. I have found Notion to be very good. I will not be updating the table here but somebody else might like to put it on Google Drive or such. One correction to the table should be made - Notion costs $5 per month for unlimited file uploads (PDF, etc) and that will be needed. I hope you find it helpful. This forum is the best place for people looking for solutions. Forums are often monitored by product development too. This table could benefit many. 

Notion shows that Electron does not need to be slow. This is a killer for me as is using an unsupported product. Evernote 10 has no roadmap and with missing functionality resulted in the collapse of my workflow. 

The paradigm of a desktop app is flawed too. Notion is just as fast, if not faster, in a Chrome browser. Chrome is the new OS - why talk about Windows 10 or Mac OS - everything runs in tabs in Chrome. In a browser, you can have any number of tabs open for Notion - not surprisingly. Integration between web apps is through APIs - work like a dream. Why download/upload the data when it is already in the cloud. 

I was stuck in the daily routine did not consider other options. I have probably wasted too much time stuck with a dated concept. I am grateful,  however, that I have come to realise that. 

I have made my decision. I wish you all the best with yours. There are so many good apps out there. 🙂

Hello:

Are you aware of a comparable, cross platform application that can utilize Google Chrome as you have mentioned?

Thank you,

Alan

Hello, all.

MY EXPERIENCE EN 10.44

Within 3 minutes, I realized that this update is functionally a THROWBACK to embrionic features.

Within a few hours of testing 10.44 and reviewing EN Forum reviews... I concluded 10.44 is a bonafide UNINSTALL! LOL!

I uninstalled > cleaned my laptop of all EN files and all EN registry entries > installed EN Legacy: Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe.

As an EN User (since July 2013)... but now with the advent of 10.44... it is now critical to find a a competent EN replacement.

Looikng forward to further reading Forum posts.

Thank you,

~ Alan

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last month using and comparing Notion and Keep It. Although Notion is powerful, the Evernote debacle taught me an important lesson which is that all files should be stored in your primary directory (MacOS Finder for me). Keep It meets that standard, as all files are stored in the Finder and are securely backed-up and synced through iCloud to iOS and other Macs, plus are plus backed-up incrementally in Time Machine.

Keep It is fantastic in so many ways. Coming from Evernote, I appreciate the combination of unlimited nested folders and a much better implementation of tags. Moreover, all the tags are functional in the Finder, which make Keep It a stand-alone MacOS tagging app. I have never previously used tags in the Finder, and this opens a whole new world for me.

All my Keep It notes are stored either as Rich Text or with embedded PDFs, PNGs, JPGs, Word, Excel, etc. This means all my notes are stored in archival format in the Finder! Again, the Evernote lesson learned is to never again use a proprietary storage format.

There is an excellent import feature from Evernote to Keep It that preserves tags, and I'm slowing exporting my 10,000+ notes from Evernote to Keep It while building out a much more logical organization scheme based on nested folders and tags. I'm very happy with Keep It and feel much more productive than working in Evernote.

I'll add that in comparison to Notion (where notes are store on their servers in a proprietary format), with Keep It I can use internal links to my to-do app (Things 3), my calendar (Fantastical), and my Kanban board app (Kanbanier). It feels "right" to be using best-of-class apps rather than trying to use one app for everything. Notion keeps mentioning future implementation of APIs that will provide app and service integration, but I suspect that will be at the cost of reduced security. I like that Keep It leverages MacOS technology to integrate app connectivity across the relatively secure Apple Ecosystem. 

In comparison to Notion, Keep It does not have a huge overhead and learning curve. Keep It doesn't force a new paradigm on you. Need a note or file? Find it instantly with a tag search, content search, or in the logical nested-folder structure that you created. Need a note/file/PDF 20 years from now? It's in your MacOS directory.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Jason Goldsmith said:

I have spent the last month using and comparing Notion and Keep It. Although Notion is powerful, the Evernote debacle taught me an important lesson which is that all files should be stored in your primary directory (MacOS Finder for me). Keep It meets that standard, as all files are stored in the Finder and are securely backed-up and synced through iCloud to iOS and other Macs, plus are plus backed-up incrementally in Time Machine.

Keep It is fantastic in so many ways. Coming from Evernote, I appreciate the combination of unlimited nested folders and a much better implementation of tags. Moreover, all the tags are functional in the Finder, which make Keep It a stand-alone MacOS tagging app. I have never previously used tags in the Finder, and this opens a whole new world for me.

All my Keep It notes are stored either as Rich Text or with embedded PDFs, PNGs, JPGs, Word, Excel, etc. This means all my notes are stored in archival format in the Finder! Again, the Evernote lesson learned is to never again use a proprietary storage format.

There is an excellent import feature from Evernote to Keep It that preserves tags, and I'm slowing exporting my 10,000+ notes from Evernote to Keep It while building out a much more logical organization scheme based on nested folders and tags. I'm very happy with Keep It and feel much more productive than working in Evernote.

I'll add that in comparison to Notion (where notes are store on their servers in a proprietary format), with Keep It I can use internal links to my to-do app (Things 3), my calendar (Fantastical), and my Kanban board app (Kanbanier). It feels "right" to be using best-of-class apps rather than trying to use one app for everything. Notion keeps mentioning future implementation of APIs that will provide app and service integration, but I suspect that will be at the cost of reduced security. I like that Keep It leverages MacOS technology to integrate app connectivity across the relatively secure Apple Ecosystem. 

In comparison to Notion, Keep It does not have a huge overhead and learning curve. Keep It doesn't force a new paradigm on you. Need a note or file? Find it instantly with a tag search, content search, or in the logical nested-folder structure that you created. Need a note/file/PDF 20 years from now? It's in your MacOS directory.

I don't trust google, from one day to the next, they decide to kill a product, this happened to google notebook and all these https://killedbygoogle.com/

And most importantly, Google is an advertising company and its biggest product is you. Therefore, Keep is no real alternative for EN unless your privacy isn't important to you.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

I don't trust google, from one day to the next, they decide to kill a product, this happened to google notebook and all these https://killedbygoogle.com/

And most importantly, Google is an advertising company and its biggest product is you. Therefore, Keep is no real alternative for EN unless your privacy isn't important to you.

I most certainly trust Google with my data. They don't delete products any more often than other big tech companies and they also give fair warning (do you remember when Microsoft switched off Zune with no warning?) and a migration strategy. Usually deleting products for Google means adding the functionality to another product (for example when inbox got deleted the functionality had already been added to gmail).

Saying Google's biggest product is you is not helpful. How do you think that is true? I use Google products and I haven't yet been sold into slavery. 

What Google does is show you targeted ads. That isn't selling you off to somebody. 

For me the main problem with Google Keep is that it just isn't powerful enough. It's integration with other Google products is good, and search is (as you'd expect) excellent, but it doesn't have an API (so you can't extend it).

On 12/8/2020 at 8:38 PM, ab1kenobee said:

Hello, all.

MY EXPERIENCE EN 10.44

Within 3 minutes, I realized that this update is functionally a THROWBACK to embrionic features.

Within a few hours of testing 10.44 and reviewing EN Forum reviews... I concluded 10.44 is a bonafide UNINSTALL! LOL!

I uninstalled > cleaned my laptop of all EN files and all EN registry entries > installed EN Legacy: Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe.

As an EN User (since July 2013)... but now with the advent of 10.44... it is now critical to find a a competent EN replacement.

Looikng forward to further reading Forum posts.

Thank you,

~ Alan

Why don't you just use Evernote legacy and wait for Evernote 10 to be further along? Millions of people worldwide are already using Evernote 10 productively.

I really don't think there's a competent Evernote replacement out there. I don't know of any other app which has powerful APIs and search.

1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

Saying Google's biggest product is you is not helpful. How do you think that is true? I use Google products and I haven't yet been sold into slavery. What Google does is show you targeted ads. That isn't selling you off to somebody.

So, you wouldn't care if EN would mine your notes and make money of it?

51 minutes ago, eric99 said:

So, you wouldn't care if EN would mine your notes and make money of it?

Why should I mind if an algorithm reads through my notes and then shows me ads based on the content? No human knows which ads are being show or what the contents of my emails are.

Maybe i should add something to this. Advertising makes the internet free for those without large amounts of disposable income. How much would the internet cost if we had to pay for our searches, our mail providers, our maps and navigation etc. etc.? When people complain to me about "google spies on you!!!1!" what I hear is some Apple (or whatever) executive saying "let's try to convince everybody to pay us for everything!".

Edited by ehrt74
Added my thoughts on advertising
47 minutes ago, Jason Goldsmith said:

Eric is commenting on Google Keep. My post was regarding “Keep It”, a totally different Apple-only product. 

If it's Apple-only it really isn't a competitor to Evernote. You would be unable to cooperate with people who do not use Apple products. 

3 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

Why don't you just use Evernote legacy and wait for Evernote 10 to be further along? Millions of people worldwide are already using Evernote 10 productively.

I really don't think there's a competent Evernote replacement out there. I don't know of any other app which has powerful APIs and search.

Hello, ehrt74:

AFFIRMATIVE... I am currently using WIN 10 - LEGACY 6.25.2.9198 (309198) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) UNTIL a worthy and competent replacement becomes available (NOT currently available).

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, thank you for your post on Keep IT. I am currently in a trial version.  Where did you find information on how to use it?  I currently use gmail, and haven't found a way to save an email in keep it, do you know how?  It looks like a good, simple, sturdy program.

Have you tried saving receipts scanned in on a scansnap?  

Hi Pbpamela,

Instructions on use of Keep It, including mail extensions, can be found at: https://reinventedsoftware.com/support/keepit.html

The developer provides an Automator Workflow and two Applescripts for Mail. I use the Automator Workflow and created a keyboard combination in System Preferences for saving mail into Keep It. Very easy to save specific emails, and as I mentioned previously, emails stored in Keep It have links back to the original emails.

For scanning receipts, I generally use Scanner Pro on my iPhone and then use the iOS extension to upload PDFs to Keep It (which syncs to iCloud and my Mac). I do have a Scansnap for scanning multipage documents, and I would scan to Dropbox (or the Finder) and then drag the PDF into Keep It. 

Hope that helps.

Yes, thank you Jason, I currently have all my gmail set up in apple mail.  I read in in apple mail.  I will have to read up on what an AppleScript is😏.  I did add keep it to my workflow for PDF's, so it shows up in a drop down menu when I click command print and then PDF, but it sounds like there could be an easier way.  I tried to rename the web receipts I was saving to keep it and it would not allow me to put a date in the tile - It would say it was unreadable.Is that working for you? My system worked , but several steps.  

Why do you prefer the scanner pro on the phone to the scansnap for most of the receipts?  Do you trust cloud's security for keeping receipts?  If the scansnap has OCR, will that make it so that keep it can find words in scanned handwritten notes do you think?  

I really appreciate your input - I like keep it because it is in my regular files , not in another app, and I want to figure out how to do all the things I need.

Thank you

Pamela

Hi Pbpamela,

I like the Scanner Pro app on my phone because I can use it the moment I receive a receipt (don't have to wait until I get home to use my ScanSnap). It's so fast, easy, and precise. It saves scans in my iphone, or uploads them to iCloud, Dropbox, Evernote, etc. They're all safe cloud services.

Regarding your problem with naming files, if the problem is occurring in Keep It, you can contact the developer, and he will answer your questions quickly. 

Hope that helps

Not sure about Scanner Pro, but Genius Scan allows you to pre-set encryption password for a scanned PDF. So I can quickly scan a document and automatically send it to a cloud location or service already encrypted and password protected. I am sure that there's many other apps with similar capabilities. And the beauty is that I don't have to be in any particular physical location to use it.

• Level 5

ScannerPro does OCR, but only on typed text (no handwriting). For handwriting recognition you probably need a handwriting app like GoodNotes 5 - they OCR all handwriting on the fly, make it perfectly searchable and exports the text with the pdf if you want it. A really good OCR for handwriting does EN on the server - really fast, accurate and searchable. As with all EN OCR, you can use it only inside of EN, it won't export.

What I really like in ScannerPro is the automatic upload into EN, with workflows, one click, and it is ready with notebook and tags assigned. Encrypted Cloud upload is available for iCloud. This means the cloud is encrypted, not the individual document. A document can be encrypted as well after scanning and before upload, with a password you need to type or copy.

But frankly: Who do you mean is interested in reading your scanned receipts ? If you are not dealing with drugs, ***** & guns, nobody will give a sh** on what you are spending your money. I do not store passwords, access codes, sensitive documents and the like in an open cloud, but scans of my receipts ?

Hi,

I use Evernote since a lot of years now and it is my most used app daily for both all my personal and professional stuff. I have about 25.000 notes and thousand of tags.

Before v10, i was quite happy with it, at least on Windows, but i had sometimes, and more and more often, slowdowns and lags.

On Android it was more complicated : the application was often slow and i had often synchronisation conflict with my desktop app. So i wasn't using it when i could avoid. For instance, when i had something to add to Evernote when i was on mobile, i used my Todo app (Microsoft) to quickly add my note, and then, i copied it to an Evernote note when i was on my desktop. But i used a lot the capture web function on Android.

Anyway, i was thinking that maybe i could take a look on an alternative.., but never really did. When Evernote increased theirs prices, i was ok with this because i thought it was necessary to help Evernote developement. I tried the free alternative OneNote but it missed on essential feature for me : tags ! Am i right ? There isn't tags on OneNote ?!

And now, v10 is here. I was excited to try it to see if all my issues could be gone...., but.. :( : i created a topic Just installed Evernote 10 : scared where i list some of essential features missing :

On 11/19/2020 at 4:04 PM, nonobio said:

Hello,

I just installed Evernote 10, fortunately the windows 10 "store" version to keep my old desktop 6 in place.

I'm affraid of what will be the future of Evernote. For now, i can't imagine use the version 10 daily.

It miss too much essential features for me :

• Display a note take at least 5 seconds with new version when it take about 2 with old one
  • If i display all notes with a selected tag and want to filter again by tags : it display all my tags, not only the tags of my displayed notes
  • I can't export all my notes as a backup solution ? (exen and html)
  • No "Synchronisation" button
  • No offline use ?!
  • Checkbox gone : it seems to be replaced by a checklist which strikethrought the text when checked and i can't put checkbox wherever i want; for instance in the same line or following.
  • Dropping url from my browser type the url. With old version it typed page name with html link.
  • No preferences settings ?!
  • Some of my notes (maybe a lot) have a "HTML content" indication at the beginning and i can't edit them before "simplify" them.

For now i will close Evernote 10 and go back with 6, but for how long ? I am worried about the future of Evernote.

Maybe it's time to look at an alternative :(

Since this message, i am waiting each new version to see if missing features or bug will be resolved. But i also often discover new missings :( .

And as if it wasn't enought, the new Evernote Android doesn't work anymore for me : i can't capture anymore ! I haven't all my notebooks synchronized and so it says "Loading" where i should choose the destination notebook. I can't use it anymore !

So : i have a v10 desktop version i can't use daily (i use legacy for the moment) and Android version that can't capture anymore.

Yes i should ask support for my issue on Android (maybe i will) but since last weeks, i have the feeling to not use a product but to help or work to devellop an unfinished product.

In my other post, some users tried to rassure me about v10 future, but i actually more than ever thinking to switch.

But is there really serious alternative ?

For my use, these are the important features i need :

• A Windows application with ability to open notes in separate windows
  • An Android application : at least to be able to capture web content
  • Offline use
  • A Chrome extension to capture web content, and if possible with choice like : capture page, article, selection, etc.
  • Tags : i have some thousands of tags. I would like to be able to add one or more tags on notes and on web capture, search in all my tags, filter by tags (if possible with filter like the one in v6)
  • Reminders
  • Ability to add images to note, and it could be great to have option to compress images
  • Checkbox (like v6, with shortcut and not tranformed in checklist when i hit enter ! )
  • Internal links between notes
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Texte encryption
  • Drag and drop from browser URL
  • export or backup feature
  • and mostly : faster and more stable than Evernote if possible ! even on Android...
  • and i almost forgot : a way to import all my Evernote notes ! ;)

Does it exist or is Evernote always (even in v10) the best note application with theses features ?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, nonobio said:

Does it exist or is Evernote always (even in v10) the best note application with theses features ?

There are a lot of folks unhappy with v10.  Some are trying other apps and some are using the legacy version while waiting to see if v10 develops into something they can use. There are already many other threads on this topic. The alternatives all have trade offs.  You will need to do the research to see which will work best for you.

• Like 3

Check out https://www.noteapps.info/ where you can filter on the features you'd like and find an appropriate app among the ones indexed.

For me Evernote legacy is currently the best alternative, with Nimbus Note a close second. I've cancelled my EN premium and will decide what to do when my subscription runs out in the summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi :)

Thanks for your replies and thanks a lot for your link Gnopps ! It is great !

I saved a lot of hours with this site !

This is the result of my filtering :

spacer.png

So i will try Notion ;) .

But functions are a thing, but i would like to know how fast will be Notion with my 25000 notes and thousand of tags ?

Is there users with as much as items which could give a feedback ?

I'm a long time EN user and staying with the Legacy version. I have looked at many alternatives over the last couple of years with varied success. They include Onenote, Notion, Nimbus, Joplin, Standard Notes and so on. I don't have the time to list all the specifics of why each failed, other than EN legacy remains a better solution until it is discontinued. So I continue to search and plan for my departure if necessary.

One application that looks promising is Notejoy. It does not check all the boxes but appears to have feature critical mass. Their free version is definitely worth a look. Review the release notes and feature request areas to get a sense of their development history and plan.

• Like 3

I would recommend, no matter what you pick, to look for the following in your replacement:

1) Dedicated desktop app

2) Allows you to keep all your data locally. Make frequent backups.

3) Not written in Electron (like Evernote V10)

1 and 3, are because the sort of developers who use Electron (like Evernote V10), don't care for stability, or point releases. They want you on the "latest beta version" at all times, and expect to auto-update you to it. They don't care if your desktop experience limited by the limitations of web pages, and they will pull features whenever they feel like it. It's just easier for them to write a single app that works on desktop + mobile + web browser if they do this. Electron is a way of life to those people, the lowest common denominator where your app is a local webpage.

Unfortunately several note apps I tried, such as Standard Notes and Joplin, are written in Electron. It's understandable given that they're written by lone developers. But it makes for a poorer experience if you're comparing them to desktop Evernote V6.

Refer to these hints to identify Electron apps: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42342048/how-do-i-determine-if-an-application-is-built-by-electron-or-not

• Like 3
  • Level 5

On a Mac AFAIK there are 2 options that meet your search conditions:

DEVONthink, which is mainly a local installation, with an optional cloud sync. For teams they have a Server install as well.

Apple Notes, that is mainly iCloud based, but offers a local „on device“ (= 1 device, no sync) option

Both have their own features, IMHO DEVONthink is what gets closest to EN, including tags, clipper, AI-based search etc. And they are around long enough to offer a stable environment. On the other hand, it is more „nerdy“ than EN. One should make a long, deep test run before moving.

On Windows, no idea.

• Like 1
On 1/7/2021 at 5:43 AM, PinkElephant said:

On a Mac AFAIK there are 2 options that meet your search conditions:

DEVONthink, which is mainly a local installation, with an optional cloud sync. For teams they have a Server install as well.

Apple Notes, that is mainly iCloud based, but offers a local „on device“ (= 1 device, no sync) option

There's also Keep It for Mac and iOS. It's billed as "The Best Evernote Replacement App for Long-Term Research" by one reviewer:

• Level 5

Don’t search a replacement. Define your use cases - just lean back and write down for what purposes you did use EN in the past. Think if you need anything in addition. Convert it into a table, and give it a rank from most important to low usage.

Then start the search.

It is never good just to want out of something. Then you are out, and still don’t know where to go. Direction and action comes from knowing where to go.

• Like 6
On 1/5/2021 at 1:03 PM, Gnopps said:

For me Evernote legacy is currently the best alternative, with Nimbus Note a close second. I've cancelled my EN premium and will decide what to do when my subscription runs out in the summer.

I was preparing to head to Nimbus as I do like a lot of what I saw but beware, as of now they, do not offer a way to export more than one note at a time. At least, not from what I found.

H

On 1/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, nonobio said:

Hi,

I use Evernote since a lot of years now and it is my most used app daily for both all my personal and professional stuff. I have about 25.000 notes and thousand of tags.

Before v10, i was quite happy with it, at least on Windows, but i had sometimes, and more and more often, slowdowns and lags.

On Android it was more complicated : the application was often slow and i had often synchronisation conflict with my desktop app. So i wasn't using it when i could avoid. For instance, when i had something to add to Evernote when i was on mobile, i used my Todo app (Microsoft) to quickly add my note, and then, i copied it to an Evernote note when i was on my desktop. But i used a lot the capture web function on Android.

Anyway, i was thinking that maybe i could take a look on an alternative.., but never really did. When Evernote increased theirs prices, i was ok with this because i thought it was necessary to help Evernote developement. I tried the free alternative OneNote but it missed on essential feature for me : tags ! Am i right ? There isn't tags on OneNote ?!

And now, v10 is here. I was excited to try it to see if all my issues could be gone...., but.. :( : i created a topic Just installed Evernote 10 : scared where i list some of essential features missing :

Since this message, i am waiting each new version to see if missing features or bug will be resolved. But i also often discover new missings :( .

And as if it wasn't enought, the new Evernote Android doesn't work anymore for me : i can't capture anymore ! I haven't all my notebooks synchronized and so it says "Loading" where i should choose the destination notebook. I can't use it anymore !

So : i have a v10 desktop version i can't use daily (i use legacy for the moment) and Android version that can't capture anymore.

Yes i should ask support for my issue on Android (maybe i will) but since last weeks, i have the feeling to not use a product but to help or work to devellop an unfinished product.

In my other post, some users tried to rassure me about v10 future, but i actually more than ever thinking to switch.

But is there really serious alternative ?

For my use, these are the important features i need :

• A Windows application with ability to open notes in separate windows
  • An Android application : at least to be able to capture web content
  • Offline use
  • A Chrome extension to capture web content, and if possible with choice like : capture page, article, selection, etc.
  • Tags : i have some thousands of tags. I would like to be able to add one or more tags on notes and on web capture, search in all my tags, filter by tags (if possible with filter like the one in v6)
  • Reminders
  • Ability to add images to note, and it could be great to have option to compress images
  • Checkbox (like v6, with shortcut and not tranformed in checklist when i hit enter ! )
  • Internal links between notes
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Texte encryption
  • Drag and drop from browser URL
  • export or backup feature
  • and mostly : faster and more stable than Evernote if possible ! even on Android...
  • and i almost forgot : a way to import all my Evernote notes ! ;)

There are tags in any application with search. They are plaintext tags. Use any uncommon letter combination before your tag, and you’re all set.

e.g. qqAct for action, qqCar for cars, qqFollowUp, qqTax, qqUtilities etc. Then make a search for “qq” and get a list of all tagged records, or search for a particular tag. An added advantage is that these tags can be added both to the note title  and to the individual text lines. And they can be used across multiple apps - you can tag an email, a note, a spreadsheet, and find all records using Windows Search or Spotlight.

This way, you can use tags in any app or service, and they will be useful even after you move the data to another service.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

There are tags in any application with search. They are plaintext tags. Use any uncommon letter combination before your tag, and you’re all set.

e.g. qqAct for action, qqCar for cars, qqFollowUp, qqTax, qqUtilities etc. Then make a search for “qq” and get a list of all tagged records, or search for a particular tag.

I prefer prefixing tagnames with a special character !?#....
Unfortunately Evernote drops special characters in the text search index

5 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

H

e.g. qqAct for action, qqCar for cars, qqFollowUp, qqTax, qqUtilities etc. Then make a search for “qq” and get a list of all tagged records, or search for a particular tag. An added advantage is that these tags can be added both to the note title  and to the individual text lines. And they can be used across multiple apps - you can tag an email, a note, a spreadsheet, and find all records using Windows Search or Spotlight.

This way, you can use tags in any app or service, and they will be useful even after you move the data to another service.

this is only one part of how to use tags: search by them. The big advantage of tags is to drill down your notes by selecting only those tags used by the current list of notes („tag browsing“). Therefore you need a special tag functionality incl. tag browser (or tag cloud) - just using plain text with special prefixes is not even close to it.

Hi,

I agree with you @stocky2605, @Wanderling Reborn's tagging solution isn't a solution for me : explore by tags, tags suggestions when typing, incremental tag filter, etc.

About alternatives, i tested Notion which was the one offering the more features i need, but was missing these ones importants for me :

• Text encryption with a note
  • No "text inside note" search on mobile

But more annoying : importing Evernote isn't working. I tried from the web app then the Windows app :( .

Also, on mobile, my RSS news app 'Palabre" says "not supported app" when i try to send content to Notion.

I think i can reply to myself by : "Yes, Evernote, even in v10 version is always the best note application", at least for my needs.

Maybve Notion is good but i can't start with import and send to issues. I prefer keep Evernote and help to fix issues on it.

I hope v10 will be better in next version and will fix issues and add missing functionnalilty from v6.

For now, i use the legacy version on Windows, and hope my Android v10 will be fixed.

Bye

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Tags are great, but they have a tendency to grow out of bounds. Near duplicates, homonyms & synonyms, typos etc. And then this great new area of interest, that collects dust after the tag was applied to only a few notes. Others are asking to be nested.

My experience is I need to clean out a little bit every few months to keep tags focussed. For this a tag management is necessary, not only the ability to write words behind an identifier. With the EN tag manager it does not take long to do the housekeeping job.

This makes tags more valuable in information retrieval.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
On 1/7/2021 at 5:47 AM, isthisme said:

3) Not written in Electron (like Evernote V10)

1 and 3, are because the sort of developers who use Electron (like Evernote V10), don't care for stability, or point releases. They want you on the "latest beta version" at all times, and expect to auto-update you to it. They don't care if your desktop experience limited by the limitations of web pages, and they will pull features whenever they feel like it. It's just easier for them to write a single app that works on desktop + mobile + web browser if they do this. Electron is a way of life to those people, the lowest common denominator where your app is a local webpage.

I don't think Electron is the problem. EN's rollout of v10 was a disaster, but there are well received Electron apps, such as Visual Studio Code. I'm using Joplin (also Electron as you note) and like it. For cross platform note apps, unless you are content to stay in Apple's walled garden, you will be hard pressed to avoid Electron. EN moved to Electron because they could see the writing on the wall. Maintaining disparate codebases for each platform while your competitors are using a unified codebase is a losing strategy.

I think the root of the problem is EN's approach to QA of their software. This has been an issue for many years, and their fast and loose approach really bit them with v10 and their move to Electron.

• Like 4

Dear Evernote Team,

I never ever wrote a comment in any forum website in my entire life at what so ever topic. why should I? i mean if i don't like something i just move away. but because Evernote is not any software. its a life partner. now, becuase of the new desktop version of evernote v10 and the so many issues it brings. I had to stop my life a tiny bit and actually come here and see what is going on. and i guess i am not the only guy. Almost everyone is saying the same thing. its up to you to understand. this new version had tons of issues and missing features and oh god it is slow... I just couldn't believe that you want to throw your legacy to a trash. Anyways, your old evernote version 6.xx is just amazing, its epic. I am not quite sure what made you re-do it all over again. This new version is failing. it is not even close to a complete product and we are paying for it? not sure how that works in business but anyways... Guess what, it take a moment to move from a software to another. but we "the loyal" people for which we've been using your software for almost... damn i fogot but i am sure, maybe since it started, anyways, we, demand you, to stop missing around and do it right, fix this thing! because it is only a matter of a month or so we will be moving already to a new app and you will lose a lot.

By the way, I am having that feeling that i might lose my notes. Give me a reason to stay. because i want to. unless you don't want to. you have 1 last chance.

best regards,

Loyal 

• Like 1

I rely heavily on the web clipper and search for my research and writing. EN legacy worked very well - in part because URL's would be visible when you first look at the note. 

I tried Notion and Zoho notes but they have not worked for me. Any recommendations (apart from staying with legacy)?

I am a Mac / ioS user.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, RNRNRN said:

I rely heavily on the web clipper and search for my research and writing. EN legacy worked very well - in part because URL's would be visible when you first look at the note. 

I tried Notion and Zoho notes but they have not worked for me. Any recommendations (apart from staying with legacy)?

I am a Mac / ioS user.

Thanks.

you might want to look at devonthink...have moved over in october and am very happy...with all of it, their clipper included...other folks here have recommended keepit (mac) and joplin (mac & windows).

I have been using Keep IT for a few weeks now and it is great!  It is fast, easy, great with tags and my notes are in my own system, not just in an app.  The developer is very helpful.  I started a support tag for evernote and when they found out I was using an older version on my mac they said "we are unable to help you further".  The developer of Keep It sent me a version that works with my system, and answers questions quickly.  I am switching.

Thank you for the suggestion!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I tested Joplin and it shows promise, but I agree with Vstk about clicks.

Then there was a new Evernote update a few weeks ago, so I gave it another shot, and the web link issue was finally fixed. It was working fine.

However, with the latest update, I notice now that the web clipper always goes to the inbox even when "Use smart filing" is the option chosen...

Sigh...

I realize that this is not the Joplin forum, but too many clicks to clip a page? It takes exactly 3 clicks: 1) Joplin icon - 2) Clip "your choice" - 3) Confirm.

How many clicks does it take for an Evernote clip? I mean certainly there are reasons why you should or shouldn't use Joplin as a note taking app, but I can hardly imagine that clippling would be a show stopper...

• Like 2

As primarily a note taker (not archiving all sorts of media, email or attachments), Joplin FTW.  I was a happy Evernote Legacy user, but wanted to try something else just in case.  After trying Notion, OneNote, Nimbus, Google Keep, Simplenote, I'm very satisfied with Joplin.  Close enough to EN Legacy functionality (including web clipper) that it looks and feels quite familiar, plus a host of cool things not found in EN Legacy continually being developed through plugins.  And the feature that made me leave EN Legacy: I can install it on all three of my main devices: PC, phone and Kindle Fire.  The personable and immediately responsive developers and community are also a big plus.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, skim1124 said:

As primarily a note taker (not archiving all sorts of media, email or attachments), Joplin FTW.  I was a happy Evernote Legacy user, but wanted to try something else just in case.  After trying Notion, OneNote, Nimbus, Google Keep, Simplenote, I'm very satisfied with Joplin.  Close enough to EN Legacy functionality (including web clipper) that it looks and feels quite familiar, plus a host of cool things not found in EN Legacy continually being developed through plugins.  And the feature that made me leave EN Legacy: I can install it on all three of my main devices: PC, phone and Kindle Fire.  The personable and immediately responsive developers and community are also a big plus.

+1. Speaking of attachments, there is a plugin equivalent for EN's import folder. 

1 hour ago, tavor said:

+1. Speaking of attachments, there is a plugin equivalent for EN's import folder. 

And speaking of plugins, the two most useful ones for me are Note Overview, which is a more powerful and useful way of doing EN saved searches, and Outline, which is a sidebar with TOC items as links to help you quickly see and navigate a long note.

I think the only productive EN Legacy feature that I miss is the ability to share/collaborate on notes.  Even though I didn't use it much, it was very useful when I did. 

So EN Legacy = a fantastic product even for basic subscribers.

Joplin = EN Legacy in most ways + it's being improved almost daily.

And again, I say that as primarily a note taker.

9 minutes ago, skim1124 said:

And speaking of plugins, the two most useful ones for me are Note Overview, which is a more powerful and useful way of doing EN saved searches, and Outline, which is a sidebar with TOC items as links to help you quickly see and navigate a long note.

I think the only productive EN Legacy feature that I miss is the ability to share/collaborate on notes.  Even though I didn't use it much, it was very useful when I did. 

How much does Joplin cost if you want online storage and synchronization with different devices?

EN Legacy might be the best. The big advantage EN has is the web clipper and smart filing (at least until the very latest update, which is worrisome) - I use EN for it. Another strike against Joplin right now is you can't save web articles on the iPad (as best I can tell), and I work a lot on it.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

How much does Joplin cost if you want online storage and synchronization with different devices?

Joplin is open source, it costs nothing. So it's really what does online storage cost you? I have a free Dropbox account and sync Joplin using that. I also have a free Nextcloud account, and I could sync using that. So for me, it costs me nothing to have Joplin synced across 3 devices.

3 minutes ago, tavor said:

Joplin is open source, it costs nothing. So it's really what does online storage cost you? I have a free Dropbox account and sync Joplin using that. I also have a free Nextcloud account, and I could sync using that. So for me, it costs me nothing to have Joplin synced across 3 devices.

mm, i'm not a fan of free online storage. Online storage costs money to provide. If you're not paying for it then something strange is going on. 

i'm not sure how dropbox works, does it push changes to all clients?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, skim1124 said:

Yeah, Outline is a game changer. There's no going back to a note app that doesn't have some kind of outline feature (here's looking at you, Evernote). You must be a Mac user, because you didn't mention note tabs. EN Win users never had note tabs, so that's been huge for me on Joplin. Also the various note links plugins which make it very efficient to create note links and see all the backlinks.

Like you, my notes are primarily what I've written. And I agree, for someone whose notes are primarily content harvested from the web, Evernote is better because it's web clipper is still king of the hill.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

mm, i'm not a fan of free online storage. Online storage costs money to provide. If you're not paying for it then something strange is going on. 

i'm not sure how dropbox works, does it push changes to all clients?

Well, like most cloud providers (including Evernote), I'm sure Dropbox is reading the data I store there. In the case of Joplin, they're reading gibberish because all my Joplin data is encrypted (zero knowledge encryption - built into Joplin). You could pay for online storage. Do any of these cloud services have terms of service that preclude them from reading your data if you're a paying customer? Can't imagine Google or any of the major players would hamstring themselves like that - in which case, you're paying *and* getting data mined.

When using Dropbox as the sync location for Joplin, you're not relying on Dropbox to do the sync (in fact, you can deselect the Joplin folder in Dropbox so that Dropbox does *not* sync it) - Joplin does the sync; so no, changes don't get pushed to the clients; the clients have to initiate the sync.

5 hours ago, tavor said:

Yeah, Outline is a game changer. There's no going back to a note app that doesn't have some kind of outline feature (here's looking at you, Evernote). You must be a Mac user, because you didn't mention note tabs. EN Win users never had note tabs, so that's been huge for me on Joplin. Also the various note links plugins which make it very efficient to create note links and see all the backlinks.

Like you, my notes are primarily what I've written. And I agree, for someone whose notes are primarily content harvested from the web, Evernote is better because it's web clipper is still king of the hill.

No, I'm on Win 10.  I didn't mention note tabs (and favorites) which I also like and use extensively, because in EN Legacy the shortcuts performs basically the same function.  But Outline and Note Overview add a lot of value that EN Legacy doesn't have.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, Gnopps said:

Check out https://www.noteapps.info/ where you can filter on the features you'd like and find an appropriate app among the ones indexed.

But you cannot import pictures from Evernote in Nimbus

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, skim1124 said:

No, I'm on Win 10.  I didn't mention note tabs (and favorites) which I also like and use extensively, because in EN Legacy the shortcuts performs basically the same function.  But Outline and Note Overview add a lot of value that EN Legacy doesn't have.

I see. You're using note tabs a bit differently than I am. I use the Favorites panel to store shortcuts to frequently accessed notes and saved searches (note overview notes). That frees up note tabs for current working notes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tavor said:

I see. You're using note tabs a bit differently than I am. I use the Favorites panel to store shortcuts to frequently accessed notes and saved searches (note overview notes). That frees up note tabs for current working notes. 

That's also basically how I use Tabs and Favorites.  In EN Legacy, I used shortcuts to have access to both frequently accessed notes and current working notes.

10 hours ago, tavor said:

Well, like most cloud providers (including Evernote), I'm sure Dropbox is reading the data I store there. In the case of Joplin, they're reading gibberish because all my Joplin data is encrypted (zero knowledge encryption - built into Joplin). You could pay for online storage. Do any of these cloud services have terms of service that preclude them from reading your data if you're a paying customer? Can't imagine Google or any of the major players would hamstring themselves like that - in which case, you're paying *and* getting data mined.

When using Dropbox as the sync location for Joplin, you're not relying on Dropbox to do the sync (in fact, you can deselect the Joplin folder in Dropbox so that Dropbox does *not* sync it) - Joplin does the sync; so no, changes don't get pushed to the clients; the clients have to initiate the sync.

I'm not that bothered about privacy, or at least my problem with free cloud storage providers is orthogonal to my privacy concerns.

Let's take an example: IE6. Microsoft bundled IE6 as part of the Microsoft Tax (basically computer manufacturers had to pay for windows on every computer even if they didn't install it). This resulted in progress in web technologies stalling for about 10 years. Nobody could compete with "free". Firefox eventually managed to gain enough market share (ie6 only ran on windows and back in the day Microsoft was a really hated company) to force Microsoft to update ie6. But even now you often hear the view that "web apps aren't real apps" -- just look at the hatred directed at Electron in this forum. This comes directly from Microsoft's abuse of its monopoly position. 

Another example is WhatsApp. That costs Facebook hundreds of millions of dollars a year to run and it's offered to us for free. How can a start-up compete with that? 

if you aren't paying for something that costs its makers money then you are contributing to a culture of stagnation. 

Fortunately there is a way to pay for all of this using advertising -- Google gives independent web pages 100s of billions of dollars a year so they can keep running. Without Google there would be no internet. 

On 1/11/2021 at 2:51 AM, Wanderling Reborn said:

H

this is exactly NOT how tags should be supported by an App - that‘s the reason why some people (those who rely on real tags) miss the legacy tag filter (gone in V10) - if they‘re just a bunch of ‚special‘ text blocks I would go without them.

I wanted to post a new topic, but as I see this comes often, I'll add my opinion here.

I had problems with Evernote slow/buggy app on MacOS and iOS since a few years now, absolutely appalling and getting worse and worse. If you ask support, they say it's all jolly good for them.

So I took my time, and moved in 2 minutes to Bear. It's a million times faster with the same notes, it imports them all in a click from Evernote, it has tags to organise notes making it overall a much faster and straightforward app, AND it's cheaper and much better looking.

Sadly IMHO Evernote lost its plot in the last few years, attempting to add stuff instead of actually focusing on what it was, a notes taking app. Latest update on MacOS trying to poorly imitate Trello and similar is pathetic, making it even more heavy and basically unusable.

My two cents...Evernote is not anymore the best notes taking app, is the worst planner (Trello is much better and faster) and a bad/old/sluggish Notes app (try Bear and you'll be surprised how nice and streamlined it is).

I've been with Evernote for so many years, but ended up dreading the moment I needed to take a note, waiting forever to have them loaded, absolutely joking with saving times and offline management, and for this having duplicates when there was no need. And my whole notebook was just 24mb, hardly anything big, so much so that Bear imported it and managed it on all my devices in a split second.

I hope Evernote will find its way again...in the meantime, I'm finally enjoying quick notes taking across multiple devices and apps again with Bear.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using keep it for several months now and I LOVE it as an alternative to EN.  It is fast, intuitive, easily organized, has tags and folders and it's not hard to migrate data.  I highly recommend it.

Here is a list of client applications I know about that can to some extend replace (or accompany) the official Evernote application... till they fix the serious issues, or perhaps you decide to use them always. 

I do not have a Windows computer so I don't have experience with any Windows client out there. Perhaps anybody can share what Evernote client they use for Windows?

MacOS

Alternote

https://alternoteapp.com

Android

Notebook+

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yu.notebook_plus&hl=en_US&gl=US

StickyText, EveryEver

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.ymgcsng.entw&hl=en_CA&gl=US 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.trashfeed.everdrop.core&hl=en&gl=US

Evernote Widget

Gone from the store but you can still find it as APK.

There are several note taking apps designed to create and push notes to Evernote. I am not going into these because there are a few choices and they are similar.

Examples: BridgeEver 

iOS

The most difficult to replace is on iOS. You may need to create Janapese Apple Store user account to get them:

Search:

SearEver

https://appadvice.com/app/searchever-for-evernote-e3-83-8e-e3-83-bc-e3-83-88-e6-a4-9c-e7-b4-a2/1402062712

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1402062712

SlimLink (works on iOS but doesn't seem to work well on Android at the moment)

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/slimlink/id1468893924

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yasu.tabever&hl=en&gl=US

EverPost

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/everpost/id595116637

For creating notes there are several options...

TextEver, SnapWriter, Qisa

Hope this helps if you look to have alternative clients.