Lost notes in update

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same issue. My work laptop was recently upgraded to Windows 10 and when I reinstalled the latest version of Evernote, all of my notes from the last 5 years were gone. I have followed the instructions on this thread (checking Evernote web and installing the Legacy app) but my notes have still not appeared.

Are there any other routes to recovering these lost notes?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Elaine94 said:

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same issue. My work laptop was recently upgraded to Windows 10 and when I reinstalled the latest version of Evernote, all of my notes from the last 5 years were gone. I have followed the instructions on this thread (checking Evernote web and installing the Legacy app) but my notes have still not appeared.

Are there any other routes to recovering these lost notes?

Thanks.

Hi.  If your notes were not present when you installed the legacy app,  then you are logging in with the wrong credentials.  Try logging in via Evernote.com but use the 'lost password' process to reset your user ID.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If your notes were not present when you installed the legacy app,  then you are logging in with the wrong credentials.  Try logging in via Evernote.com but use the 'lost password' process to reset your user ID.

Hello, I have similar issues to these posts. My phone must have performed an update and I tried to open Evernote but it said my password had expired and I needed to click “forgot password”. I reset the password from my email and it directed me to enter my name and check some boxes for different communications. When I logged back into the app all data was gone there and on the web. I tried to log in under old password but it says “you changed your password in the last 24hours”. In the app it says my account has been active since 2018 so it appears to be the old account minus the data. Can you help me get my notes back?

• Like 1

Lost my Evernote from years of use.

Who makes a program that erases all content and has no recourse to an email query about how to recover lost notes? 

I cannot get rid of the popup which pushes for a premium membership.

Who makes a program based on organization of ideas and then doesn't plan for a migration to new iteration? 

Looks to me like techno innovators are in charge and don't care about users who relied on Evernote to keep their material safe.

vv.png

I'm using Windows 10 but it says 7 in above file. I should be able to find Evernote in file explorer and drag my old files into the new version without having the complex method (which doesn't work) as explained by 'answers'.

• Level 5*
On 6/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ashley1234 said:

Can you help me get my notes back?

Hi.  I'm just another user,  so the answer there is 'no'.  You really need to contact Support for assistance.  Try https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (there's a 'guest' option you can use) and also https://twitter.com/evernotehelps.  If you can log in with the new password you generated,  sign into that account via Evernote.com and look for your notes there,  and for any items in the Trash notebook.  

• Level 5*
On 6/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, AtcW said:

Who makes a program that erases all content and has no recourse to an email query about how to recover lost notes? 

Hi.  See my response above.  The app (AFAIK) does not erase notes,  but inadvertently creating a new account on sign-in can make it look that way.

On 6/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, AtcW said:

techno innovators are in charge and don't care about users who relied on Evernote to keep their material safe.

If you rely on software It's often advisable to pay for it - if nothing else it gets you priority access to help if things go wrong... in both your and @Ashley1234's if the data you are missing is important,  it might be worth subscribing - even for a month or two - to get that access.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@gazumped This guy is a Basic user who exceeds his device count. From screenshots posted in another thread he is on 3, exceeding his limit. But he posted stuff all over the forum, many post like this lacking relevant information.

When he tries to force access,  EN only allows to upgrade unless he is not dumping at least one device. Since he is on Basic, no local notebooks.

The idea to draw his content from one install to another can‘t work, especially not with v10.

In that other thread I explained to him what he needs to do - dump devices or upgrade. I have better things to do than collecting his multiple posts and explain it over again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I am missing in Evernote 10.17.6 about 4.000 notes. 

The last standing is from July 5!!

In Evernote Legacy 6.25, Evernote for Android (8.13.3) and Evernote Web are included all notes.

I signed out, reinstalled, but no change.

I have one local notebook in Legacy, but this notebook is empty.

Evernote 10 shows me that I am connected, but does not synchronize.

The Help Desk have no solution except to say update to Legacy 10

Hartmut

• Level 5

To me this sounds like a corrupted data file, somewhere deep in the installation. 

When uninstalling have you removed all existing data from the PC ? To do this the best way is to use an uninstaller, for example the REVO uninstaller.

First log out again, quit the app, then run the uninstaller. Remove every trace of EN. Then restart the PC.

Now reinstall, login and see if it syncs.

Thank you, the support had no idea. I uninstalled Evernote 10 as well as Legacy and removed all existing data. (ok, my old directory from Legacy was saved before)

My Evernote directory under the Legacy version was changed to d:/ (Maybe that this is or is part of the problem, as with Evernote 10 it is not possible to change the place of the directory).

After new installation and running Legacy I changed the directory to d:\ and copied the before saved files.

Well now I have two times the Evernote notebooks locally, one in c:\ and one in d:\ 

Hartmut

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, ha-kg said:

After new installation and running Legacy I changed the directory to d:\ and copied the before saved files.

Well now I have two times the Evernote notebooks locally, one in c:\ and one in d:\ 

Hi.  Unless you relocated the directory through the Tools > Options menu,  Evernote is going to continue to use the C:\ -based version of your database.  (Or whichever one is specified in that option)

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

If you're encountering this issue, please try the following.

Go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314 and download the legacy Evernote for Windows app

1. After install, open the app and sign in.
  2. At this time, you should be able to see your notes and sync.

If you can't sign in, see the steps below:

1. Select File > Sign out to view the Evernote login screen
  2. Select: Ctrl+Shift+E while viewing the login screen. to see a list that shows your email and username
  3. Select smarquet8

This will create a new folder on your Desktop that contains a separate .enex file for each notebook within that account. After logging into Evernote you have two options to import the notes:

1. Double click the .enex to open it in Evernote. This will automatically import those notes into your account's default notebook.
  2. Select: File > Import > Evernote Export Files, and select the .enex file. Each .enex will import as a separate notebook.

If you're still encountering issues, please let me know.

I downloaded the Legacy Evernote app, but still don't see any of the notes I used to have on my account. I went to use the app on Monday and saw I had been signed out, I created a new password and signed in, but all of my notes were gone. They're not showing up on Evernote Web either. Can you please help me resolve this issue?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Taryn Varricchio said:

I downloaded the Legacy Evernote app, but still don't see any of the notes I used to have on my account. I went to use the app on Monday and saw I had been signed out, I created a new password and signed in, but all of my notes were gone. They're not showing up on Evernote Web either. Can you please help me resolve this issue?

Hi.  The fact you created a new password suggests you also created a new account,  hence the lack of notes.  Try signing in to Evernote.com but use the 'forgot password' option with just your user name to check that you have the correct details.

On 8/26/2021 at 5:15 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  The fact you created a new password suggests you also created a new account,  hence the lack of notes.  Try signing in to Evernote.com but use the 'forgot password' option with just your user name to check that you have the correct details.

Hi, I had created the new password after I clicked “forgot password”.

• Level 5

The mistake happened before: You most likely created a new User, by making a typo when entering your userID.

Then of course the password did not match, so it assumed you had forgotten it.

But it is the wrong account, not the wrong password.

Log out of that bogus account (best practices to erase it - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056549574 ).

Make sure now to type the correct userID, and log into your real account.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, gazumped said:

I am having a similar issue and I have confirmed that my credentials are correct and am still experiencing the same problem. My notes have still not been recovered. Is there any other way of recovering my notes?

• Level 5

You could try to access support as a guest. Not sure how far you get this way. Pick any ticket type that seems to work, briefly explain why you go down this road, ask for a ticket to be opened and send to your mail.

Once you have a ticket number, you can use email to communicate.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I don't know if this is related, but I noticed that two things have happened since the last update and I don't know what to do:
1. When I type into an existing note and move off to another notebook or note and return - I lost all the changes I made.

2. When I try to create a note, it appears, then immediately disappears - not allowing me to create any notes.

I am way below usage or notes limits, so to me this appears to be a major bug and I'm not sure how to fix it as everything else seems normal...

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, rninja said:

to me this appears to be a major bug

Hi.  A 'bug' is a defect in the software,  and on the basis that roughly 200M other users aren't apparently experiencing the same issues,  I'm guessing that while this software has some failings,  this is not one of them.  It could be an update gone wrong - have you tried restarting your device / removing and reinstalling Evernote?

• Level 5

Maybe something went wrong with your local database. This procedure will fix it:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

If this does not solve the problem, ask support.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Why sometimes data gets corrupted is anyones guess.

I think it should be noted that legacy as well suffers from local data corruption. I noted it when getting different search results on legacy, web and v10, and tried to understand and fix them.

One step was to run several repair routines on the local database hidden in the legacy menus. I always thought legacy was absolutely reliable, and was surprised how many mistakes had accumulated while using it. Many were just search index errors, but they can cause fails in searching while the note itself shows.

v10 uses another approach - it rebuilds the entire local database from the server.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5

1 year later ….

Either you didn’t notice your problem for 1 year, or you have a problem that is not related to anything prior in this thread.

Why don’t you start with a description of what you did, what happened then, and what you observe ? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, viniciusdianni said:

Hi,

I am facing the same issue... all my notes have been deleted as the app was updated. Could someone help me? Where do I find the Legacy Version for download?

Hi, and welcome to the forums. There are actually several distinct issues that have been reported in this 2.5-year-old thread, so more details would be helpful in trying to understand what's going on. A few questions: What client of Evernote are you using: Web, Mac desktop, Windows desktop, mobile...? What version did it have before the update and what does it have now? I think this thread began when Evernote was first converting from "legacy" v. 6 and under to the new v. 10. Any updates now are happening within v. 10 (unless you really did just move from v. 6. to v. 10). So again, precise details will be helpful.

But in general, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the most common cause of all data disappearing is accidentally logging in with the wrong credentials (different username, email, and/or password). This will result in creating a new, empty account. Unfortunately, this is pretty easy to do; it gets reported in the forums literally almost every day. So, try logging in again, being very careful to use the same credentials you've used with Evernote before, and see if that gets you to the existing notes. Let us know.

Hello!
Thank you very much for the quick answer!!! I'm almost embarrassed to say that I was logged with the wrong credentials, as you said. It's all here now. Thank you so much for spending your time writing this answer for me. Very helpfull. All the best for you

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 4/26/2023 at 6:23 PM, viniciusdianni said:

Hello!
Thank you very much for the quick answer!!! I'm almost embarrassed to say that I was logged with the wrong credentials, as you said. It's all here now. Thank you so much for spending your time writing this answer for me. Very helpfull. All the best for you

Very glad to be of help. Don't be embarrassed--this happens to lots of people, since we all have multiple emails to log in with.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/30/2023 at 7:23 AM, MarioF said:

I have lost all my notes with the update today, it seems to be a common problem and it can be solved, please help me out!

It's not common and it's easily fixed.  Have you seen the posts in this thread? 

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's not common and it's easily fixed.  Have you seen the posts in this thread? 

Thank you for the reply! I did read many of them and tried a few things. I know I am logging in with the right account, so that is not the problem and I didn't see the notes before resetting the password. I saw that some members have been reached out privately to work on the solution, I am not sure what was suggested in the private conversations. To be more specific with my problem. I cannot see some notes that I created from my laptop, but I do see other notes that I created on my mobile.  I looked at the log on my laptop and I see that the login from latpot on the last week are there, but I don't see the related notes. What to do next?

Hi,

I also lost my notes during the Evernote update today. I am using correct account, the problem will be that I didn´t sync my notes for a longer time. I would like to install older version of Evernote and restore the "local" notes as described in this thread, but the links to the app repository from 2020 probably expired. Could you please help me.

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MarioF said:

What to do next?

Hmmn.  OK - it will be helpful if you can confirm your device, OS and Evernote version please - and if notes you create on your laptop are not syncing to another device,  the problem may be with the laptop or the device.  If you're not a subscriber you need to be careful of the number of devices you're using,  but see the items below which may help.  If you are a subscriber I'd suggest you contact Support (which is not us...)

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  OK - it will be helpful if you can confirm your device, OS and Evernote version please - and if notes you create on your laptop are not syncing to another device,  the problem may be with the laptop or the device.  If you're not a subscriber you need to be careful of the number of devices you're using,  but see the items below which may help.  If you are a subscriber I'd suggest you contact Support (which is not us...)

Thanks! I was within device limits, I am not a subscriber. I just logged in again and Evernote offered me a solution. Apparently there were "local notes" that are not supported by the new version. The desktop app (windows) offered me the option to export them, which I did, and I add to manually re-import them. All safe now. Thank you for being there along the way.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Siki said:

I would like to install older version of Evernote and restore the "local" notes as described in this thread

Hi.  On what device & OS did you store your notes?

• Evernote Expert

I'm interpreting this as that you have lost the Local Notes that were supported in the older Legacy version of Evernote.  You should open the old version and then export these notes as an ENEX file before importing them into the new v10.

If you have lost the Legacy program it can be reinstalled.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, agsteele said:

I'm interpreting this as that you have lost the Local Notes that were supported in the older Legacy version of Evernote.  You should open the old version and then export these notes as an ENEX file before importing them into the new v10.

If you have lost the Legacy program it can be reinstalled.

Thank you so much! It works.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • Level 5

EN does not store pictures directly. It‘s always in a note.

How were the pictures taken and stored ? Scan with the app, upload from drive, saved into legacy … ?

On which client do you have problems ? Tried in the web client yet - it is the direct view at what was stored on the server ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 2/25/2024 at 9:11 AM, Nadzzzzzz said:

I also have lost my notes after updating. Does anyone can help

Welcome to the forums. I have seen a few other reports of this. Can you give some more detail about what happened? Was this an update from v. 6 to v. 10, or from one release of v. 10 to another? Do you not see any notes and notebooks at all? If that is the case, it is often the result of accidentally logging in with the wrong username or email, which causes Evernote to create a new, empty account. Check to be sure you're using the right credentials. Also, one person said that they thought everything was gone, but when they clicked on Notebooks in the left panel it was all there.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:42 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Welcome to the forums. I have seen a few other reports of this. Can you give some more detail about what happened? Was this an update from v. 6 to v. 10, or from one release of v. 10 to another? Do you not see any notes and notebooks at all? If that is the case, it is often the result of accidentally logging in with the wrong username or email, which causes Evernote to create a new, empty account. Check to be sure you're using the right credentials. Also, one person said that they thought everything was gone, but when they clicked on Notebooks in the left panel it was all there.

Two major issues with 10.77.3:  1 -- Search does not work at all; returns nothing; all blank.  2 -- notes disappear; the only way to find them is to scroll across the limited number of them that appear in "home."  [APPRECIATE THE USER SUPPORT HERE]

Edited by MichaelxB
To recognize this is a user-supported forum
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, MichaelxB said:

PLEASE GET THIS FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

Hi.  This website is mainly supported by other users,  and we can't 'fix' anything.  Contact Support - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - for issues,  but expect a wait.  They're a little busy.

I'm not aware that anyone has actually lost data in an update or upgrade - there are two main possibilities:  accidentally creating a new blank account through an incorrect login,  or expecting instant access to notes when an upgrade involves a lot of background setup.  Allowing the app to run for a few minutes should resolve that.  Worst case - try re-downloading from Evernote.com and reinstall.

• Level 5
23 hours ago, MichaelxB said:

Two major issues with 10.77.3:  1 -- Search does not work at all; returns nothing; all blank.  2 -- notes disappear; the only way to find them is to scroll across the limited number of them that appear in "home."  PLEASE GET THIS FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

Welcome to the forums. This is not my experience at all, so something is amiss. If you're seeing some of your notes in Home, then you're properly logged in to your existing account. Try clicking on Notes or Notebooks in the left panel. As @gazumped said, it will take a while to finish downloading everything, but if you search for something and a note exists with that search term, then it will download that note at once. If this isn't happening, can you say some more about what you're seeing (a screenshot might help) and what procedure you're following?

@MichaelxB, have you checked the web client?  If you're notes are available on the web client, they are on Evernote's servers.  If you don't see them on the web servers, that's a problem and you should contact support right away to see if they can recover them.  

Vinnie

• Like 1

Great idea -- yes the web client and my iphone app work.  The Windows app is saying, "Syncing temporarily paused. You can continue editing while Evernote reconnects."  So that must be the problem.  

So I un=installed and re-installed.  Works fine unitl I search.  Tells me "Search Failed" and then syncing temporarily paused.

Ideas for how to address? 

And thank all three of you for the great input here!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, MichaelxB said:

Ideas for how to address?

Quick fix - just power your system off and then back on again.

Slightly longer version..  sign out of Evernote / remove database from local device / uninstall app with Applcleaner (Mac) or Revo Uninstaller (Win).  Power off and on again - re-download and reinstall...  leave system running as long as possible to rebuild local files.