Lost notes in update

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

I've been using Evernote since 2015. It seems I lost 2 years of Notes after the update happened. I use it daily Mon-Friday. Suddenly now I am missing two years of notes. Any tips here on what to do? Trying not to panic. 

Edit: I have been doing periodic hard drive backups, but I have never exported out to .enex (reading about this now - seems it's a step I didn't do as I trusted that my data wouldn't randomly disappear on me...)

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

When you go to the Web Client, do you see all of your notes/notebooks there?

Let me know as this will better enable me to determine how best to proceed.

Hi, Web Client view for me does not show my Notes that are missing after the update. It's like two years are gone, after the recent update.

34 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

@LSH2000 @icharles15

Thank you for reaching out!

When you go to the Web Client, do you see all of your notes/notebooks there?

Let me know as this will better enable me to determine how best to proceed.

Mine isn't showing my previous notes on the we browser version either - could you also dm me with further instructions?

Just an update that I was provided fantastic support and my situation got resolved - I was able to retrieve my notes. Thank you, Evernote team!

EDIT: I can't reply to posts for 24 hours or reply to stuff in my inbox (5 msgs a day so maxxed out) so sharing for everyone - I'm a Windows user. What sorted out my issue was installing the legacy version (link below), which indeed had all my old stuff (whew), then re-open the new one (I could have both open), I watched it magically sync, then I made sure that any local Notes were then migrated over. I hope this works for you all. I'm optimistic it'll get fixed for everyone who had a similar issue.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I also realized my notes had stopped syncing - at first I thought it was for the last month but it was only the last week.  I got lucky this time - I love evernote but this is a showstopper!!  Please let me know if there is any way to recover my lots notes and how to prevent in the future

14 hours ago, killerapple said:

Just an update that I was provided fantastic support and my situation got resolved - I was able to retrieve my notes. Thank you, Evernote team!

EDIT: I can't reply to posts for 24 hours or reply to stuff in my inbox (5 msgs a day so maxxed out) so sharing for everyone - I'm a Windows user. What sorted out my issue was installing the legacy version (link below), which indeed had all my old stuff (whew), then re-open the new one (I could have both open), I watched it magically sync, then I made sure that any local Notes were then migrated over. I hope this works for you all. I'm optimistic it'll get fixed for everyone who had a similar issue.

OMG! It worked! Thank you so much ❤️

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Hi All,

If you're encountering this issue, please try the following.

Go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314 and download the legacy Evernote for Windows app

1. After install, open the app and sign in.
  2. At this time, you should be able to see your notes and sync.

If you can't sign in, see the steps below:

1. Select File > Sign out to view the Evernote login screen
  2. Select: Ctrl+Shift+E while viewing the login screen. to see a list that shows your email and username
  3. Select smarquet8

This will create a new folder on your Desktop that contains a separate .enex file for each notebook within that account. After logging into Evernote you have two options to import the notes:

1. Double click the .enex to open it in Evernote. This will automatically import those notes into your account's default notebook.
  2. Select: File > Import > Evernote Export Files, and select the .enex file. Each .enex will import as a separate notebook.

If you're still encountering issues, please let me know.

Hello, I am encountering the same issues too! I lost all my university notes after the recent update and was so devastated that I couldn't find it anywhere (my notes also stop syncing for a very long time). I tried searching in the trash but there's none. I tried logging into the Evernote Web too, but the website seems to have a problem. After logging in, they only showed me a blank page. 'm so lost right now...

I really need help as those notes are important to me.

I've tried both approaches:  legacy and importing .enix file. Neither worked. I was previously enrolled under another email address that I was finally able to change in Evernote to current email address. Could that have something to do with my problem? I would really like to recover my previous notes.

During the Windows Evernote 10 update installation I was told that imported notes will not be retained. I didn't take the program up on the option to back these up (my fault).

After disliking the performance of the new Evernote, I uninstalled it and reinstalled Evernote Legacy.

Evernote Legacy still shows an Imported Notes folder but it is empty. Android app shows no Imported Notes folder.

I don't even know what an imported notes folder is for, and why I had some notes in it. I was under the impression that all of my notes would be sync'd with the server. A quick search of imported notes in Evernote help and in google didn't enlighten me.

I don't think I have  lost many notes, perhaps just a few, but I would like to know whether I have definitely lost something (that was in imported notes), and why I have lost it (why did I have some notes in imported notes), and whether I might be able to recover them.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, flanimal said:

I don't even know what an imported notes folder is for, and why I had some notes in it

Just guessing - I get an Imported Notes notebook when importing from an .enex file   
It's a Local Notebook and Local Notebooks are no longer supported in v10

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just guessing - I get an Imported Notes notebook when importing from an .enex file   
It's a Local Notebook and Local Notebooks are no longer supported in v10

Thanks for your response. I don't recall ever importing an .enex file - I never have had reason to. But if that's the only explanation for the existence of imported notes, then I guess I must have. I used to save Windows system image backups of my laptop (until it stopped working in Windows). If I fish the evernote db out of one of those, I might be able to restore whatever was in my Evernote imported notes folder...

I've had a similar experience. I woke up this morning to a new version of evernote. I didn't click update or anything and it just updated. All of my notes since October 1st are gone. How do I get them back? 

2 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@flanimal

Does your experience sound like this?

OMG. thank you!!! The link to reinstall the legacy app worked. Files from last night were still there. Sync'd, and now they show up on web login & new app... although I don't see a Sync button on the new app. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@flanimal

Does your experience sound like this?

No. I know why my notes are missing (they were in the imported notes folder). I just don't know why I ever had notes in the imported notes folder, and wonder whether there is a way to recover them. The loss is my fault - I had the chance to backup imported notes at the Evernote 10 installation but neglected to do so.

This should be a simple fix, but 'it isn't clear to me how.

I opened Evernote on Windows10. Evernote had updated and required me to log in. I logged in on web then on Win10. When I logged in, my notes appeared to be from a date long ago and everything since then was gone. I need to get my notes back to the point right before the update, which was just the other week. Help!

@Shane D.

I opened evernote today, after a recent update (I think it updated last night; v 10.1.7) and at least one note which I had worked on earlier this week is missing. It is not in the trash and it is not on the web version. Just poof gone. Is there a way to get my note(s) back?

------Update-----

I downloaded the legacy app and found my note. I tried syncing, but the note still won't show up on the web version? What do I do to get it onto the new version of Evernote? (I have to say, I like the old app better...)

Edited by Helena@Work
update

Help! I installed Evernote Legacy, signed in, saw my missing notes, clicked sync aaaannd GONE! It synced the wrong way. Now Evernote Legacy is also missing notes.

These posts are not clear enough. Someone please, please help! Tell me there's stitell a fix.

Edited by pscotth
Update. Issue seems resolved after some support. Not sure what happened.
  • Level 5

@pscotth I'll be reaching out directly to gather more information.

@theresameyer@timeout.com This sounds very much like you might have signed-in to a new/different Evernote Account. Can you double check that you are using the exact same credentials you used when you setup your 3-year old account? Feel free to reach out to me directly if you're still having trouble.

I installed the Legacy version and my lost notes are in there, but the sync function isn't working.  When I try to sync from the Legacy version it idles for a long time and then fails.  I can't find an option to sync from the new version, which is pretty concerning.  

• Level 5

The new version syncs permanently and automatically. Once a note is on the server, it should sync to legacy, and vice versa.

If on doubt, go to your account on the web and check if a note is there.

Just keep in mind that the web client is counted as a device since October 20.

I downloaded the Legacy version and my notes are there - Wohoo!  However, even after synching, they are not appearing in the web version OR the new desktop version.  Any suggestions? Should I uninstall the new version and reinstall?  Log out and log back in?

On 10/15/2020 at 3:53 PM, killerapple said:

Did they help you if you're not a premium client? I can't ope word docs that were on Evernote and my notes don't open on this new version. This update is terrible!

@Shane D.

Hi Shane,

Hope this message finds you well.

After reading the replies above, I have tried downloading Evernote Legacy. Good news is, I found my notes. However, I could not seem to sync those notes to the new Evernote. 

I tried exporting the notes and import to the new Evernote, but it gave an error. Hope that you will be able to help me, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 11:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314 and download the legacy Evernote for Windows app

2. Select: Ctrl+Shift+E while viewing the login screen. to see a list that shows your email and username
  3. Select smarquet8

This will create a new folder on your Desktop that contains a separate .enex file for each notebook within that account. After logging into Evernote you have two options to import the notes:

1. Double click the .enex to open it in Evernote. This will automatically import those notes into your account's default notebook.
  2. Select: File > Import > Evernote Export Files, and select the .enex file. Each .enex will import as a separate notebook.

I tried all of this, but I can not retrieve my lost pictures in tons of notes. Any idea?

I got my notes back using the Legacy Evernote, but frankly, this really concerns me about the stability of Evernote. This should be a seamless experience, especially as a Premium user for the past 7 years. 

That said, willing to figure this out, but I do not see the instructions on how to upgrade to the latest version of Evernote from "Legacy". If we can't get this solved easily, I will be looking for another solution. 

UPDATE

After launching the latest version of Evernote, it seems I can now see my noted. The whole thing is a big confusing / concerning. Can I trust the latest version of Evernote? Do I use the legacy version side by side with the new version? I am happy to get my notes back but disappointed with the experience. 

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 5:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

3. Select smarquet8

I know this is an old thread, but I thought this was the problem I was having. When I did the Legacy version though my important notes were still gone. It only remembers as far back as April, and I don't understand why. Does this mean my notes are gone for good???? 

Just updated to the newest Windows version and it is just a debacle. 

Whoever runs your company should be fired. Seriously. 

I rolled back to the legacy version and have mssing notes. All notes reformatted to the default font Segoe 10. Very bad as I am visually impaired and have set large fonts for HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of notes. 

You have violated a trust. I trusted my information and my workflow to you. You have FAILED MISERABLY.

And yes I am shouting at you. Deal with it.

• Like 3

I'm having what sounds like a similar problem, updated recently and now ALL of my notebooks (many years worth) have completely disappeared from both the local and web evernote, all I have now is the 'First Notebook'! I did download the Legacy version but I see the same thing (only the welcome notebook).  

I desperately need to recover those notes, please help. 

• Ex Employees
On 10/17/2020 at 7:28 AM, Paul Nelson said:

I've tried both approaches:  legacy and importing .enix file. Neither worked. I was previously enrolled under another email address that I was finally able to change in Evernote to current email address. Could that have something to do with my problem? I would really like to recover my previous notes.

It sounds like you may have created a second account.  Try logging in with your previous email to access your notes.

• Ex Employees
On 11/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, LamarM said:

Hello - I have also lost my notes in the Evernote update, it's like 2 years of notes are gone! I need help with this ASAP!

Thanks for this report. We're looking into this now.

Are you able to view your notes if you reinstall the legacy app? You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees
2 hours ago, Paul Nelson said:

I am unable to access my old email account.

Understood. You don't need access to that inbox to login to Evernote. Just type the email address and evernote account PW you used to login. Let me know if you see any errors when trying to login  using that original email and PW. thanks!

• Ex Employees

Hi @Paul Nelson. The Evernote account associated with this forum account was created  late last year. If you've been using Evernote for longer than that, the notes you need are likely in a different account tied to a different email. Please try logging in using your different emails here to verify which one has the notes: https://www.evernote.com/client/web 

• Like 1

My original email account was b********2@san.rr.com. When I try to access that account (which has been closed for more than a year)I get the message that "There is no account" associated with my old email account. However, I was getting evernote access from my new email account:  b*******5@san.rr.com up until the evernote update that deleted my notes.

I have been using evernote for at least 10 years, likely longer.

I have tried entering other email accounts (b********2 [and 5], as well as b*******1@gmail.com without any success. I get some notes but only a few. Certainly not all of them.

Please tell me if this is just a lost cause and I will quit hoping to get all my notes back. I hate to think this is possible, but I have tried many times to get the notes back and no luck so far.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 10:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

3. Select smarquet8

This didn’t work. Notes are still missing 

On 10/16/2020 at 10:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

3. Select smarquet8

Hey Evernote team! Same issue here - all notes gone after update. Using a MAC and iPhone. 

Update on my below issue: I manage to log into Legacy, but it's content is the same as the updated version - they are both empty. Please help recover my notes asap.

I've downloaded and installed legacy for MAC, but it doesn't open. I mean, the icon in bottom tray shows as if it was open. But there are no screens to display. When I try opening it again, an error says Evernote Legacy is not responding. Tried deleting, downloading again and reinstalling - same issue. 

I need my notes back urgently. Please help! I'm in the middle of mortgage application process - all my notes were on evernote. I am completely lost and very disappointed:(

Hey folks, how does one get a response here? I posted a question over a week ago (see right above). Not sure if anyone looked at it. All my notes are missing from both Legacy and New versions of the app on MAC/iOS. Nothing inside Web version either...

Please help me escalate/prioritize this one.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, hennadiymelnyk said:

All my notes are missing from both Legacy and New versions of the app on MAC/iOS. Nothing inside Web version either...

The usual cause is the accidental creation of a new account       
Make sure you log in with the correct userid/password

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, hennadiymelnyk said:

Hey folks, how does one get a response here? I posted a question over a week ago (see right above). Not sure if anyone looked at it. All my notes are missing from both Legacy and New versions of the app on MAC/iOS. Nothing inside Web version either...

Please help me escalate/prioritize this one.

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum with a ton of traffic since the last update.  Plus it's getting into the year-end holiday season,  so things tend to drift a little...

You already seem to have done the obvious,  but I'd suggest checking that you are using the correct user name and password - the usual cause of missing notes is a user inadvertently creating a brand new account (which it's annoyingly easy to do) when logging in.  Try the 'lost password' process on the website to verify.

Second option would be to uninstall everything and reinstall the last public version of the legacy app.  If a standard uninstall / reinstall doesn't work,  try using Appcleaner to remove all traces of the new software.

If the above fails,  you're left with Evernote Support - but the response won't be quick - see: traffic / year end etc.

It it's urgent and important you can get some priority by upgrading to Premium - even if only for a month.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/119867-evernote-for-mac-710/

Support:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The usual cause is the accidental creation of a new account       
Make sure you log in with the correct userid/password

Thank you for this @DTLow. I thought this through several times and still cannot imagine how a second account could be created accidentally in my case. My email remains the same, which is also my userid.

Yes, a month or so ago I did install iOS app in addition to MAC version, which I've been using for a while - all notes were in sync at that point. I successfully updated them from iPhone. But it was automatic MAC app update that logged me out unexpectedly. So the next time I logged in there were notes to be found. The password worked just fine at login.

What details/steps am I missing here? If, hypothetically, there are now two accounts with the same email address. How on earth am I supposed to access the separately?      

44 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum with a ton of traffic since the last update.  Plus it's getting into the year-end holiday season,  so things tend to drift a little...

You already seem to have done the obvious,  but I'd suggest checking that you are using the correct user name and password - the usual cause of missing notes is a user inadvertently creating a brand new account (which it's annoyingly easy to do) when logging in.  Try the 'lost password' process on the website to verify.

Second option would be to uninstall everything and reinstall the last public version of the legacy app.  If a standard uninstall / reinstall doesn't work,  try using Appcleaner to remove all traces of the new software.

If the above fails,  you're left with Evernote Support - but the response won't be quick - see: traffic / year end etc.

It it's urgent and important you can get some priority by upgrading to Premium - even if only for a month.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/119867-evernote-for-mac-710/

Support:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Appreciating the options offered @gazumped. By "Try the 'lost password' process on the website to verify" do you mean Help and Learning articles? If so, I have tried everything to verify that correct account is used. Since my email address has not changed, I doubt this is the issue in my case. Password was changed, but that was on the same email address.   

Will try reinstalling everything. But honestly - I have little hope and am close to giving up. Since Web version is also empty, I do not see how there can be app version issue on my MAC or iPhone.

If Evernote cares about their service and customers, they should take responsibility for such unacceptable bugs. I see little of that so far and refuse to give them any money until they prove the product is worth it. Excuse my ranting...

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, hennadiymelnyk said:

If, hypothetically, there are now two accounts with the same email address. How on earth am I supposed to access the separately?      

Login to your account and check the account settings/info   
Check the "Member Since" date

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, hennadiymelnyk said:

"Member Since - October 1st, 2019". So I am logged into my original/oldest account:/

Agreed, you're accessing the correct account

Were you able to get Evernote Legacy working on your Mac?     
This would be easier than troubleshooting the new Version 10 product

Are the notebooks also missing?    
Were these originally set up as Local Notebooks?

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Agreed, you're accessing the correct account

Were you able to get Evernote Legacy working on your Mac?     
This would be easier than troubleshooting the new Version 10 product

Are the notebooks also missing?    
Were these originally set up as Local Notebooks?

Yes, I have legacy on. But it's also empty. Desperate. Have paid for a month of premium. Let's see if their customer support is any better than the product they offer...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 3:05 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

3. Select smarquet8

Hey!

I've tried the legacy app but my notes are not showing up there either.

Please let me know what to do further. I've lost all my notes from the past 3 years and I really need them.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 9:07 AM, killerapple said:

Hi, Web Client view for me does not show my Notes that are missing after the update. It's like two years are gone, after the recent update.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that and as a fellow frustrated user I am furious on your behalf. I cannot believe they sent out such a terrible version to release.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, walice said:

Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that and as a fellow frustrated user I am furious on your behalf. I cannot believe they sent out such a terrible version to release.

For the record here - there have been zero confirmed cases of the Evernote v10 update actually deleting files.  Some devices take a while to reconfigure to the new systems and show blank records for a few minutes or hours after the event.  In some cases users have been uninstalling and reinstalling to try and 'fix' the problem and may have inadvertently logged into a new account rather than their original notes.  The answer is almost always to log in - very carefully - to the Web client to view the server copy of the database.  If that's not present,  then either you're logged into the wrong account or the notes somehow were never synced to the server.  Deleted notes wind up in the Trash notebook - they never vanish completely...

And for anyone frustrated by version 10 - I'm still working normally (for me) on Evernote for Windows 6.25 and Android 8.13.  I don't use v10 yet,  and I don't plan on doing so until I have to...  I have enough problems!

I unfortunately lost all my "quick note" content (on my Mac toolbar) with the new update and can't find any information about how to recover it.

Some of the quick note content was very important to me and I would be really really grateful to anyone who can help me retrieve it again. 

I saw other people having the same problem - any luck? 

Thanks, 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, MGN said:

Hello! With the last update I lost a note I had in the 'quick notes' section in my Mac toolbar. Is there a way to recover it? It had very important information. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've lost very important notes I was working on as recently as last month.

This is with the Mac version. Installing Legacy did not fix it. There is no record on the Web of the VERY IMPORTANT NOTE I have been updating throughout the past 30 days on the Desktop app.

Any advice?

I've exported my notes from Evernote and will absolutely never use this product again, but I would really like to get my important content back.

Was a paid user for many years, just not currently.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Check the web client, including the trash. If it is there, you can recover it. If it is there, but content is missing, you can subscribe again, to activate access to note history. This would allow to go back to an earlier version.

If it is not on the web client, including the trash, no idea.

• Level 5*

Difficult to see how this is a v10 issue,  though some other users have reported issues when syncing between v10 and legacy databases - if there's no sign on the web,  there's no possibility of this note being in a different account altogether,  and you've checked in the Trash in both Evernote and your PC,  your only hope is if you have some system backups that would have included your database at an earlier time.  There's really no other place to look.  😕

On 10/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

3. Select smarquet8

This is not working to find all my notebooks from 2017

• Like 1

I have an open ticket for over a week. I have checked evernote web, I have checked trash, I have deleted my app and reinstalled it many, many times using 2 emails (because I only have 2 that I use consistently). I have lost 283 notes on 1 notebook. I have several more notebooks that are also missing. How can I get access to my notebooks? The legacy download did not work. (solution from Shane D) What is the fix? I am getting very frustrated. So far customer service has been slow and no luck finding the notebooks. Ref ticket numbers: 3257976 (MarMar) and 325795 (Yasser) 

I am really hoping for a solution because if I have to reload all my inventory I will be finding a new app.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, sliptakz said:

my notes are all gone with this new update! i installed old version on my computer and that did not retrieve my notes! what do I do??

Check by signing in to Evernote.com to see what's on the server,  and verify that you have logged on with the correct details - it's a little too easy to create a new account when connecting again. If you're working from a desktop,  you should still have the old database of your notes - check to see whether you have any 'Evernote' folders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 4/20/2021 at 10:00 PM, gazumped said:

Check by signing in to Evernote.com to see what's on the server

It takes a while to update and upgrade the display on first use.

• Ex Employees
On 5/18/2021 at 1:58 AM, HTL411 said:

Hi I just upgraded my MAC OS to Big Sur and it installed a new version of Evernotes, and now my 5 years worth of notes are gone!

Sounds like you may have logged into a separate empty account. Please check the device last used to access the notes and confirm the email you used to login on the mac matches. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 7:00 AM, gazumped said:

Check by signing in to Evernote.com to see what's on the server,  and verify that you have logged on with the correct details - it's a little too easy to create a new account when connecting again. If you're working from a desktop,  you should still have the old database of your notes - check to see whether you have any 'Evernote' folders.

Nothing is there but one single note with title, and it says also forbidden. everything is lost! 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, sliptakz said:

one single note with title, and it says also forbidden

Hi again - "forbidden" how?  Is there a message that says the note was created in another application?  Or that it is corrupted and unreadable,  or locked somehow?

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi again - "forbidden" how?  Is there a message that says the note was created in another application?  Or that it is corrupted and unreadable,  or locked somehow?

403 Forbidden. It says also it is my first note, which is not right, I had many before 

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.42.47 pm.png

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Could you have used a different email address or user name when logging in originally?

I just checked my email and found emails from 2016, it is that same email that I used now

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, sliptakz said:

no! I went year after and I had another email, changed the password and it seems my data is there! thank you!!

Oops - my bad;  reacting too quickly.  Glad you found your stuff.  (Sorry for the false alarm @Austin G!)  🙂

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 5:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

3. Select smarquet8

HI Shane,

I have lost all my notes after changing my account password.  I downloaded the legacy version, logged in and saw nothing but the new note I created yesterday.  I also followed your instructions above and still nothing.  Can you help?????

• Level 5

You have likely created a new account, instead of changing the password for the old one. One typo in the user name, and it has happened.

Try access to your old account using the old access data, since your password should still be the one from before.

Then you can change it, just make sure everything is correctly typed.