Sorting Checkbox Lists

Shosh

Idea

44 replies to this idea

The automatic (checked vs unchecked) and manual sorting (drag and drop) of checkbox lists, or any list at all is super basic and super useful. Google Keep does this wonderfully, even maintaining the hierarchy of nested lists in checked items and collapsing them down to move the whole group when sorting manually.

I'm so glad to see that others have also questioned why this isn't a feature.  Checkboxes are a huge part of how I use Evernote.  At the very least, the ability to sort by checked vs unchecked would be a huge help.  Please make this happen!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

You've successfully posted the request, and users can indicate their support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

Did you intend to restrict this request to the Android platform, or would you like it moved to the cross-platform Feature Request forum?

edited: The discussion has been moved to the Feature Request Forum

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, wsmwk said:

well articulated, archived version of this request at 

It may be well-stated,  but it's an archived non-voting post: the only thing that counts (pun not intended) are the numbers at the top of this page.  The more votes the more likely Evernote is to consider this,  though the decision - and the eventual priority - is all theirs.

Does anyone know if this is a feature they are looking at doing in the future. The app called 'Things' has a feature where the individual checklist items can be rearranged very easily. Another app called 'Cozi' also allows checked items to be deleted if need be. Seems like Evernote is far superior to those apps yet still does not have these features. 

Fingers crossed they add this as it will allow me to use Evernote solely and not rely on other apps to do these few other features. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the comment from Reece R. It is very helpful to know which other Apps have this most basic functionality. I agree that Evernote is the best in other regards -- and so it is utterly baffling as to why they omitted this function and why they are absolutely ignoring (apparently) requests from users. I agree that it would be good to know if they at least have this on a list to do someday. I find this to be so frustrating -- lack of basic expected functionality, lack of communication from/to Evernote. I fear that nothing on this User Forum ever actually reaches anyone in charge of development at Evernote. Why is that? And if they do read this forum (which I doubt) why won't they communicate here and let us know.

Obviously, whenever anyone takes the time to log onto this forum and post a request, you can be sure that there are many many other users who want the same thing -- but most people will never write it here.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:43 PM, DTLow said:

You've successfully posted the request, and users can indicate their support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

Did you intend to restrict this request to the Android platform, or would you like it moved to the cross-platform Feature Request forum?

edited: The discussion has been moved to the Feature Request Forum

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have searched many times (and so have others) and we cannot find ANY "voting button in the top left corner of the discussion." Apparently, this does not exist -- or perhaps it's a feature only available to some people but not others? Again, this does not appear on my screen anywhere in the discussion.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Shosh said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have searched many times (and so have others) and we cannot find ANY "voting button in the top left corner of the discussion." Apparently, this does not exist -- or perhaps it's a feature only available to some people but not others? Again, this does not appear on my screen anywhere in the discussion.

1323443530_ScreenShot2019-01-11at14_19_17.png.6ebe127c3af615219b2314ee5bb3791d.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Shosh said:

Again, this does not appear on my screen anywhere in the discussion.

It's not going to appear for you in this discussion, since you started the topic. It's assumed that a topic starter would vote for their own idea / suggestion.

Jeff -- My brother is a power-user of Evernote -- and a very intelligent and highly computer literate person . He went to this post, at my request FIVE times and could never find the voting buttons. Can you please send me a picture? Why are the buttons so obscure that no one can find them except the few people who are in these forums every day? In that case, the results of this "voting" are not representative of the actual broad user community.

Thank you DT Low for the picture. The word "vote" or "voting" or "vote here" or any words at all do not appear. It is absurd to think that a normal person, who does not live in this forum daily, would ever know that an unlabeled  number in a circle constitutes a voting system in which others can participate. I humbly suggest that this interface design needs work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Shosh said:

Thank you DT Low for the picture. The word "vote" or "voting" or "vote here" or any words at all do not appear. It is absurd to think that a normal person, who does not live in this forum daily, would ever know that an unlabeled  number in a circle constitutes a voting system in which others can participate. I humbly suggest that this interface design needs work.

Hovering over the up arrow would give one a clue.  Though labeling would make it obvious.

Absurd that this is not offered. Absurd that it even needs to be requested. If it was 1999, it would make sense as a feature request. It's 2019. Thinking about coming over from Keep, but this is a deal breaker. Evernote, do you have any intention of tackling the absurdly difficult task of sort? This thread is 18 months old...I'll be others have been requesting this for years. In fact, I think I have rejected Evernote as a viable tools several times in the past for the same reason. It's just sort. You just rolled out a new beta editor. Sort would be useful anyway. Please. 

• Like 1

Indeed. Truly absurd. And offended by the utter lack of response from Evernote.

Sorting within a note is a very basic, elemental function, sorely lacking.

• Level 5*
On 6/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, Shosh said:

offended by the utter lack of response from Evernote

Evernote don't generally comment in this Forum on when or whether they'll release features.  You can reach out to Support to get a comment,  but it's most likely to be along the lines of "we're considering that as an option,  but we don't have a timescale for its release".

Someone suggested that we "reach out to support." Well, if we knew how to do that, we wouldn't be wasting time on this Forum in which Evernote does not communicate at all, and apparently doesn't read or care what users want. Bad PR.

• Level 5

You may think what you think. I think, this forum does not exist to be good PR.

It is explicitly user-driven. So sure it helps EN with supporting their SW. For me as a user, it is an opportunity to learn.

EN staff reads it, and sometimes shows up to help with some issue. That’s it, and it is not to make PR out of it. The only PR-like stuff are the new videos about what is going on with key functions of Evernote, and these are very tech-driven and valued by a large majority of the forum users (which includes critical comments).

If you have a problem, as a paying user you can reach support, either via the implemented function in the clients, or though the option or chat on the EN homepage. It should be obvious that reaching out for support may help on problems with using the app or bugs, much less so on development issues and feature requests.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, SylviaG said:

Has this not been added yet? Apple Notes have it and it's a feature to die for!

Sorting within notes,  checkboxes or otherwise,  is not yet a feature - click the uparrow at the top left of this thread to add support.  There are all sorts of workarounds depending on your use case.

• Level 5*

There's no automatic sorting, nor can you point at a list and sort it by checked/unchecked, but in the Windows version at least, you can certainly drag and drop checklist items into different locations in a list, or indeed, into a separate list.

Drag and drop is great (props for expanding the functionality of checklists) but for long lists it's SLOWWWWW .. Can't believe this has been a request since 2018 and no one from Evernote has responded yet. Evernote so great in so many ways, but I think checklists are super popular and deserve some more love. We're rooting for ya Evernote, please add sorting alphabetically and by checked vs unchecked!!

• Like 2

I am very frustrated by the utter stonewalling of EN to this basic most obvious request. And to make it worse, you can't export your notes to put into a decent program with standard features like this. I regret having started with Evernote. They do updates frequently, but totally and utterly ignore what users actually want. Highly disappointed.

Above, Pink Elephant wrote "To reach out to EN, use the feedback function of the clients, or issue a support ticket. " -- I do not see either of these options. To be helpful, please include actual instructions. This forum is the only option I have seen listed under support. And I am a paying customer for the premium product. And if EN doesn't read this forum, shame on them. Basic management -- read what your user community is saying. Please.

• Level 5

For example in the mobile client, app settings, tab support (it was what I had available at this moment):

92744DE3-7023-410B-9BD1-889DB9C807B1.thumb.jpeg.fe607883a3a99885828e2db60d50faff.jpeg

To export your data there are a number of options - more than in many other apps. You need to use a desktop client.

If a management should review all the stuff in a user forum is up to everybody’s own reasoning. If they did they probably have a good laugh reading what some users think about management tasks.

As a new user of Evernote, I find this feature would be extremely helpful! I have some "notes" which are essentially just checklists which I check off over time - and being able to sort by "checked" is crucial for usability.