Back Side of Business Cards

Cephas

Idea

Since the latest Evernote update for the iPhone I have been unable to use the scanning of the back side of a business card. Previously once you scanned the business card and saved it you could go back in and select Edit to scan the back side of the business card, now this option seems to have been removed. Please re-instate or if I am missing something please help.

• Like 3

23 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Reported by others,  no word on a fix yet - meantime best option may be just to scan into a separate note with the same title as the business card to link the two together - and maybe merge the two notes later if preferred.

• Like 1

Thanks for response Gazumped but this is totally unacceptable that Evernote remove such an  essential feature like this. Its supposed to help you be more organised and efficient yet they expect you to do manual work arounds like this to solve a problem they created.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

Didn't mean to imply that Evernote 'expect' you to do manual workarounds - it's a fact that it isn't currently possible to add the backside copy,  where it previously (apparently) was. While you wait for that situation to change (if it ever does) the manual workaround is one of the options available.  Personally I always just shoot the 'other' side of the card,  along with any relevant ticket / agenda / program information that might be connected,  and add that note with the same title.  No great manual work involved,  just two separate scans.

I'm unable to comment more because that's always been the case with Android,  and the extra scan / maybe merge process is business as usual...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, richardjang said:

I seldom see Evernote staff updating the forum with replies.

Actually a few of the staff are much more active now than they've ever been,  but replying to say "we're looking into this" just tends to generate more comments and demands for faster action.  And there are a LOT of feature requests out there...

Yes it's really disappointing that the back side of the card can no longer be scanned. Please Evernote add it back. Many business cards have the persons name on one side, but their address info on the back.

Secondly and more important, it seems we cannot even edit the card to add an address if it was on the second side of the card. There doesn't seem to be a way to add other fields to a contact.

And thirdly, so far I have found that cards are not automatically tagged with the #business-card tag.

Oh and yes, we can't add the contact to the devices contact list now!!!

When you have invested in a platform and they go backwards after you have been depending on something for so long, it's extremely frustrating. And I now know why so many people are deciding to move away from Evernote. I don't want to, but if stuff like this keeps happening, I might have to.

Edited by Domenico
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just checked the latest Android beta - cards are still a one-sided snapshot,  although it is possible to edit details if required.  I can also just go on to scam 'another' card when I want to add the backside contents.  If there's a person or company name on both cards any search will tie them together,  and of course you can always merge the two notes afterward...

Can't comment on the other missing/ changed features in iOS - hopefully not all of these were by design...

I have the same problem of not being able to edit to add additional information - like an address if Evernote didn't recognise it.  Hope this is added back soon as it's a pain to "work around" and put the info in as a general note.  Also means the contact isn't correct.

On 2/7/2017 at 7:31 AM, richardjang said:

You have powerful network contact. We shall see whether the CEO can push through this with the team. Let's give a deadline of 10 March 2017.

Cephas, thanks for providing this status update. I am struggling to understand Evernote's thought process with regards to removing features from the iOS app. 

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, treaders said:

Cephas, thanks for providing this status update. I am struggling to understand Evernote's thought process with regards to removing features from the iOS app. 

Personally, I'm waiting for the development to be completed on v8 before I upgrade my work device

The release notes say

What's coming soon:
  • Context and related notes
  • 3D Touch Peek and Pop for note lists
  • Note list scrubber - ability to quickly move through long note lists
  • Enhanced (native) business card notes      <<<<<<<<
  • View tags in note list - formerly on iPad only - we plan to bring the option to iPhone and iPad
  • Reminders enhancements
On 1/26/2017 at 0:43 PM, Cephas said:

Since the latest Evernote update for the iPhone I have been unable to use the scanning of the back side of a business card. Previously once you scanned the business card and saved it you could go back in and select Edit to scan the back side of the business card, now this option seems to have been removed. Please re-instate or if I am missing something please help.

As others noted, this feature is absolutely coming back soon. Thanks for your patience, and our apologies for your frustration.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:46 PM, karahodecker said:

As others noted, this feature is absolutely coming back soon. Thanks for your patience, and our apologies for your frustration.

Karahodecker,

Thank you for the apology. This feature is sorely missed. Particularly in Asia where the back side of business cards is commonly used to display names and details in native languages or further detail about a contact's business. I am very annoyed Evernote removed this feature during the upgrade to iOS Evernote 8 (and I am confused how this could occur during the iOS Evernote 8 development) but the apology is appreciated. Other than that, Evernote is a great product that I depend on and that is likely the reason this situation is so frustrating. 

Regards,

Ben

I really need to add the back of the card as many business cards I receive have two sides, with the information in a second language on the back. Since the ability too add an image from the back of the card disappeared, I've had to stop saving as Business Card, which is such a waste of this excellent feature! 

I am here is also looking for the solution of the back side of business card.

The back side would have list the item they are selling which i can search it in evernote.

it's really matter for someone like me.

though i know there is an app named "名片全能王" which has this kind of function.

I still want to use just one app.

By the way, is there any possibility can have a feature to create contact in google directly after scan the card?

• Level 5

Already answered, solved since the beginning:

Create the contact card by scanning the BC.

Open that note, place the cursor, choose the camera, scan the backside. Scan whatever you want - it will be added to the note, as will be any text (contact notes …), audio files, drawings, whatever. EN will even make the backside searchable. It will not extract information.

The contact note is a note, you can do anything you want. And if you searched the forum first, you would probably have found the answer yourself.