Highlighting of found search terms no longer working in MacOS Sierra

14 minutes ago, patthedog said:

Evernote used to give a yellow highlight to found search terms in text notes, OCR'd images and PDFs. This highlight is no longer appearing to me since upgrading to Sierra.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Hi @patthedog, I would like to have you try recreating the Full Text Search Index in your Evernote application. To do this:

1. Open Evernote on your Mac
2. Hold down the Option key on your keyboard and select Help from your Mac's menu bar
3. Select Troubleshooting > Recreate Full Text Search Index

Please let me know how this works out for you!

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I am pretty sure it's related to the Searching PDF overlay as if I do a search which only returns non-PDF notes, then highlighting works as expected.

But when there's a PDF in the results, viewing the note triggers the Searching PDF overlay which never completes and seems to cause the highlighting of search terms to stop working.

I'm seeing problems with the highlighting as well. It's weird. When I first choose a note from the search results, the searched-for term is not highlighted. But then if I go to another note (where the term isn't highlighted) and go back to the first note I looked at, now the search term is highlighted. It's the same for both PDF overlay and text notes. When I first look at the note, no highlighting; when I come back to it, it's highlighted.

Late 2009 iMac, macOS Sierra.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been struggling with this issue too. Fortunately I've just discovered the new Version 6.10 Beta 2 has resolved it for PDFs, still not for text notes / web clips!

I am very disappointed the evernote team took so long to acknowledge and resolve this huge glitch. 

Same problem here, involving text notes, not PDF.  The highlighting has disappeared since I installed Mac OS Sierra.  It is really, really inconvenient and needs to be fixed ASAP, please!  Thank you.  

Hi everyone,

Our developers are aware of this issue and are working to fix it. I don't have an ETA on when that will be.  For now the recommended workaround is to download the PDF and search via Preview.

I'll post any updates here as I receive them.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Snapscan ix500 with the plan to go paperless. I am using MacOS Sierra 10.2.1 and IOS 10.1 and I also cannot see any text highlighted after a search query. Evernote finds the relevant scans but does not highlight the word in yellow. I tried doing the same search  on Evernote on a PC running Windows 10 and each found scan had the relevant word highlighted, so the issue appears to be a Mac and iOS software issue with Evernote from what I can see.  Evernote on the Mac is 6.1 and Snapscan manager is 6.3 L60

• 2 weeks later...

This is problem also for me. I´m using Win7 desktop client. Evernote finds text within pdf that I am searching but it only points out the note where it is. When I have mass of text and multiple pdfs in that note it is quite cumbersome to click all pdfs open and search each pdf individually.

Hopefully you find solution soon.

Hi everyone,

Our developers are aware of this issue and are working to fix it. I don't have an ETA on when that will be.  For now the recommended workaround is to download the PDF and search via Preview.

I'll post any updates here as I receive them.

2 hours ago, Kalevala said:

This is problem also for me. I´m using Win7 desktop client. Evernote finds text within pdf that I am searching but it only points out the note where it is. When I have mass of text and multiple pdfs in that note it is quite cumbersome to click all pdfs open and search each pdf individually.

Hopefully you find solution soon.

Hi there @Kalevala, welcome to the Forums! 

You can direct this to our Windows Help section here:

Windows Desktop Help

Thanks!

This "bug" is really making Evernote next to useless.  It's not just in PDF documents, it is in the text notes.   There is either NO highlighting or maybe one term is highlighted one time.  I have Sierra and I really hope this is fixed soon.  I'm actually paying for evernote these days and it is an invaluable tool that I really can't use.  

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jmark said:

Any progress on this? I'm still missing highlighted search results

@jmark This should be resolved in the next beta for version 6.11. I don't have a specific date when the beta will be released, but if you'd like to switch to the beta track, go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update and check the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

You'll then be notified in app when the beta version is released. Likewise, you can manually check for updates by going to Help > Check for Updates in the app or by checking for updates in our forum here.

Once you have updated, if you no longer want to continue on the beta track, go back and uncheck the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

Let me know if you have any other questions.

15 hours ago, BSR said:

@jmark This should be resolved in the next beta for version 6.11. I don't have a specific date when the beta will be released, but if you'd like to switch to the beta track, go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update and check the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

You'll then be notified in app when the beta version is released. Likewise, you can manually check for updates by going to Help > Check for Updates in the app or by checking for updates in our forum here.

Once you have updated, if you no longer want to continue on the beta track, go back and uncheck the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Have a good Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, come on, this is crazy.  I'm having the same problem and it apparently has been happening to users of Evernote since at least early October, from what I read here.  Those of us paying for a subscription really need a faster fix.  Thanks

Got sick of waiting for a fix, so searched today and found this thread.  I seem to find that the highlighting doesn't survive selecting different notes from the result.  The first note is highlighted, then click any other note (or even back to the first) and the highlighting is gone.  If you click Cmd-E and enter again (to re-search again on the selected note) the highlighting re-appears on the active note.  Cumbersome, but faster on the keyboard.  And I agree with some others here, not sure how a search highlighting bug like this escaped regression testing, or how it has taken 2+ months with not even a fix in a beta version.  Don't lose sight if your core, or your customers will vanish.  I can tell you things like this and now hosting my data at Google already has me considering a replacement.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, MichaelL said:

Don't lose sight if your core, or your customers will vanish.

You're posting in a user discussion forum, but I'm sure your words will inspire Evernote to drop all other work and focus on highlighting on the Mac platform; and to realize it's Evernote's core

We are expecting an updated version any day now and this bug will be corrected

• 3 weeks later...

Agree that this one should be fixed pronto. I upgraded recently and having the same issue on a mac described here. Work around:  Enter Search term, then for each note listed I click in search box and hit enter.  Note by note the highlights come back while staying on that note (i.e. aren't "remembered"). Not great, but at least I can find what I'm looking for.  (I couldn't get cmd-E to work, per above.)  Using Mac OS 10.11.6

1 hour ago, Kbrd said:

Agree that this one should be fixed pronto. I upgraded recently and having the same issue on a mac described here. Work around:  Enter Search term, then for each note listed I click in search box and hit enter.  Note by note the highlights come back while staying on that note (i.e. aren't "remembered"). Not great, but at least I can find what I'm looking for.  (I couldn't get cmd-E to work, per above.)  Using Mac OS 10.11.6

Hi @Kbrd

The fix for this is in the next update to Evernote for Mac, version 6.11. This should be out sometime soon, hopefully next month.

This version is currently in public beta and can be found here:

Version 8 and still no fix for the Mac/iOS versions that do not highlight in yellow on a search. What is going on with the Evernote developers. This functionality works perfectly on PC's. This has been outstanding now for months. 

On 1/24/2017 at 10:13 AM, Kbrd said:

On 1/24/2017 at 11:35 AM, BSR said:

Hi @Kbrd

The fix for this is in the next update to Evernote for Mac, version 6.11. This should be out sometime soon, hopefully next month.

This version is currently in public beta and can be found here:

Thanks for the workaround.

I just installed 6.11 Beta 1 (454563 Direct) and the highlighting DOES not work.  I am running Evernote on Mac Sierra OS 10.12.2 on a MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch mid 2014.  Honestly, this is a fix that needs to happen and to happen now.  It has been months.  The first note (above) is from September, 2016.  I actually pay for Evernote and I am not getting what I paid for.  Without working highlighting Evernote is much less useful.  

As a paying Evernote customer I find this very frustrating. This feature is the primary reason why I have used the platform for almost seven years.

Hey Evernote: you may not think that removing a piece of core functionality and then taking months to fix it a big deal, but many of us do.

Maybe now is the time for me to export all my documents into a different platform.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 10:22 AM, bradknapp said:

As a paying Evernote customer I find this very frustrating. This feature is the primary reason why I have used the platform for almost seven years.

Hey Evernote: you may not think that removing a piece of core functionality and then taking months to fix it a big deal, but many of us do.

Maybe now is the time for me to export all my documents into a different platform.

Ditto: What he said. Not cool. This has been going of for a tad long and really frustrating. How do I go back to earlier version? I upgraded on my office laptop and living with this problem there....driving me crazy. Still have version that works on another laptop and reminds me what it can be like when highlighting works. How hard can it be to fix this??!?  Any update?

11 hours ago, Kbrd said:

Ditto: What he said. Not cool. This has been going of for a tad long and really frustrating. How do I go back to earlier version? I upgraded on my office laptop and living with this problem there....driving me crazy. Still have version that works on another laptop and reminds me what it can be like when highlighting works. How hard can it be to fix this??!?  Any update?

The fix for this will be in the next version, 6.11. This version is currently in a public beta which can be found here:

If you would prefer not to use a beta version, this should be fixed in the 6.11 GA update to the Mac desktop app. I don't have a firm timeline for when this will be released but it should hopefully be out within the month.

I beg to differ that 6.11 Beta 2 fixes the term-highlighting issue.  I have that version installed and it still does NOT work.  I am running Sierra version 10.12.3 on a 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina, mid 2014.

This fix is taking way too long.  Inexcusably long.  It really causes Evernote to be much less useful.  It is really tedious to use without highlighting.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here (paying user).

I have macOS Sierra 10.12.3 with the latest Evernote 6.11 Beta 2. It highlights only the search in the currently selected note. If I click on another note, the highlights disappear. This is even the case when going back to the initially selected note, also there I cannot see any highlight anymore.

Exactly same issue on Windows 10, too, with the latest public release. So this is not a platform problem, it is a bug in the core for both platforms.

Please make this a priority, and please verify with actual users if it solves the problem before promising a release which actually does not fix it. Very frustrating to have a core functionality bringing down productivity...

Erik

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 2:42 PM, BSR said:

Hi @patthedog, I would like to have you try recreating the Full Text Search Index in your Evernote application. To do this:

1. Open Evernote on your Mac
2. Hold down the Option key on your keyboard and select Help from your Mac's menu bar
3. Select Troubleshooting > Recreate Full Text Search Index

Please let me know how this works out for you!

How do you know when this Full Text Search Index is finished??  I can look in Activity Monitor on my iMac and under Disk see that bytes are being read, but that doesn't tell me if this is going to go on for days or what.  (I have around 13000 notes)

I have had this issue for a while--only the first note highlighting the text, when moving to another note, no highlighting. I just installed the newest beta. It is still NOT fixed on mine, and I thought this would have been fixed long ago. iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) Sierra 10.12.3. Again, many of us are paying and would like to see this fixed soon!

• 1 month later...

This has been a real cluster F trying to figure out why some things simply do not show up in the search.   

Here is what I have figured out, its not the text but the line that the text is on that is  VOID of all searches.   

I do not have a fix but at least I understand what is happening , you can test this by simply removing what ever text is there followed by something else and it will not show up.

Maybe now someone can figure out the fix.  

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived