Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Organization

Tip For Getting More Organized: Don't

devils advocacy

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 bluesgeek

bluesgeek

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • Group: Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Good article (thanks for posting, gbarry), and much valuable philosophy and practicle wisdom in this thread.

This is what I like so much about Evernote. As with a good mail client, we can organize in Notebooks, but also select All Notebooks to search globally.

The daily workflow that has evolved for me is to create a Notebook and some tags for a project I'm going to be working on. Then I go about happiliy getting everything into Inbox. When I am ready to begin working with items I peruse the recently added stuff for what I obviously know I want in the project, then drag it to the project Notebook. Then I search the Inbox to filter for other older items I want to include, which I also drag in. Then I organize the items in the project Notebook with tags. As long as the project is on the front burner, I try to move items into the project Notebook and tag them as I go along. Everything else is just going into Inbox to sit until I organize another project.

In this way I am minimizing the time I spend organizing, but enjoying the benefit of having the organizational focus provided with Notebooks and tags when and where I need it.

In the end, I am searching either project Notebook, the Inbox, or All Notebooks as the need may arise. It really speaks to the great design of Evernote that its muscle can be flexed on these different levels of organizational attention.

And yes, of course, there's saved searches in both Evernote and in my mail client. I use smart mailboxes, together with MailTags (Project and Keywords) to set up similar metaphors in Apple Mail.

#22 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

I don't think "don't organize" works.

There are too many times that I capture a web page or email, and apply a tag, where the tag name is NOT contained within the Note Contents.

Here are some examples:
  • Politics
  • Financial
  • Personal
  • Business
  • Client Name
  • Project Name
Also, for purposes of sharing I may need to put the Note in a specific Notebook.

#23 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't think "don't organize" works.

There are too many times that I capture a web page or email, and apply a tag, where the tag name is NOT contained within the Note Contents.

Here are some examples:

• Politics
  • Financial
  • Personal
  • Business
  • Client Name
  • Project Name
Also, for purposes of sharing I may need to put the Note in a specific Notebook.

yeah, the article makes a good point that you can rely on just search in a lot of cases. "Don't organize" works in some cases but also doesn't work in others...

In practice It makes the most sense to mix searching and browsing whenever appropriate. Hierarchies are indisputably useful for a major type of information retrieval task: browsing. Heck, even the article itself is written in a hierarchical structure. Without structure it'd be just a random combination of words without meaning.

Most of the time both browsing and searching are mixed to maximize find-ability. This also tends to augment the scalability of the system.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organization, devils advocacy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote