Jump to content
  • 0
Justin Street

New Evernote for Windows 6.1.0 Beta Release

Idea

We just released a new beta. You can download it here

We've been listening to your feedback, and hope you'll like what's included in this release:

New:

  • Quick Search (Beta)
    • Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches. Just hit Ctrl + Q from anywhere in the app to give it a try.
    • Get notebooks, tags, and search queries suggestions as you type.
    • (Evernote Business) Switch to specific notebooks and tags across your Personal and Business content even faster.


Improved:

  • Tag view is back! Use this view to easily filter, edit and organize your tags.
  • Show and edit note dates directly from the note editor.
  • Take snapshots and insert them directly into your notes.

Fixed:

  • Some images were only shown as attachments. They are now consistently rendered inline.
  • Ink note shape recognition is now fixed.
  • Audio recordings are now saved when navigating away from the note.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

25 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I'm loving version 6! From this beta:

ctrl + Q just brings up the search box for me. Hitting ctrl + Q again then does nothing.

I'm not sure what "Take snapshots and insert them directly into your notes" means. I'm still having to use the ctrl drag trick to copy the snapshot to the clipboard (rather than create a new note) and then I paste it into my existing note. Am I missing something?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm loving version 6! From this beta:

ctrl + Q just brings up the search box for me. Hitting ctrl + Q again then does nothing.

I'm not sure what "Take snapshots and insert them directly into your notes" means. I'm still having to use the ctrl drag trick to copy the snapshot to the clipboard (rather than create a new note) and then I paste it into my existing note. Am I missing something?

Well the "search box" is the new function, as the new search field doesn't have notebook/tag search & saved searches. And you cant' reach the search field from "All tags view".

And in the note toolbar you have a lens button at the far right, which lets you snap photos into existing notes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, Justin Street said:

Tag view is back! Use this view to easily filter, edit and organize your tags.

Took me a while to determine that if the left panel is closed that it takes Ctrl-click on the tag icon to bring up the tag view, but very nice, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Well the "search box" is the new function, as the new search field doesn't have notebook/tag search & saved searches. And you cant' reach the search field from "All tags view".

And in the note toolbar you have a lens button at the far right, which lets you snap photos into existing notes.

 

OK I now understand that "snapshot" means "snap photo" and not screen shot :-)

I still maintain that ctrl + Q does not " Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches" but simply brings up the new search box

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
42 minutes ago, Mike P said:

OK I now understand that "snapshot" means "snap photo" and not screen shot :-)

I still maintain that ctrl + Q does not " Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches" but simply brings up the new search box

Well they might have sugar coated it with the wordings but the general functionality is still an improvement over v5,  especially since the funtionality is now also directly accessible from "single note view"/separate window.

I can also use the Ctrl+Q function to quickly check how I have worded a tag, when I am adding a new tag and can't remember how I worded it, since "add new tag" uses prefix-search suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

OK I now understand that "snapshot" means "snap photo" and not screen shot :-)

I still maintain that ctrl + Q does not " Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches" but simply brings up the new search box

I think it actually brings up the old search box but without resetting context to all notes if that was your preference pre V6, unless you click on a saved search.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

After I sync, the "Synchronization complete" pop-up no longer appears in the lower right corner of the window.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've since noticed that a pop-up still occurs if synchronization fails.  And that's definitely a good thing. :-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
19 hours ago, maggiemay said:

After I sync, the "Synchronization complete" pop-up no longer appears in the lower right corner of the window.

I noticed that too... sort of disconcerting, as I don't know if it sync'ed.  I suppose if there is a pop up for a failed sync, that will do.  (I guess mine never failed, never saw that error pop up.)  Just miss the little pop up when successful since it was there for so many years!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Fringe issue here.  

  1. I have a PhaseExpress hot key that starts a search by putting tag:statement in the search bar and leaving focus in the tag selector so I can pick an account.  After I select an account and review he results if I want to review another account, sometimes I have to click the x on the first account in the search explanation up to three times before it is removed.  
  2. If I just start fresh and select statement in tag selector via the drop down or Shift-Alt-T, sometimes I can never remove the account tag from the search and sometimes it works.

No rhyme or reason that I can see.  Very easy to recreate.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Downloaded the latest Beta and installed. The New cntrl + Q works seamlessly. a very good improvement. 

But there is some feel that this build is unstable compared to previous one. Freezes at times and the response time is slower compared to previous versions. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Need help here from EN Dev Team

I'm an long time Evernote Business user. Our business is unable to operate any more due to Evernote Client on our computer unable to handle massive note modifications (this include note tag, note move from one notebook to another, etc). I have moved just now 2200 notes from one notebooks to another and get this:

" EDAMUserException: errorCode=AUTH_EXPIRED parameter="authenticationToken

Looking on the server side through EN Web I can see 1700 notes that has not been changed at all. I have attached here a screenshot showing notes 2 days ago showing "EDAMUserException: errorCode=AUTH_EXPIRED parameter="authenticationToken". I have Export these notes out of Evernote, delete them from the Clients, import them back and sync. These has created duplicate notes (314). Now I have 1700+ on my EN Client and my colleagues have more on their side!!. All located on Evernote for Business.

Evernote clients on my 2 other colleagues shows the same red exclamation marks on the sync icon. Notes that were updated for the past days on their clients haven't been updated on the server sides. Basically we are all totally out of sync on all our respective clients. The server is holding information that were never updated for 3 weeks or so while we were all working on our client making changes on these notes.

To add matters worse some notes marked has "red" are located on the Business Trash folder. When trying to empty the trash from the admin website console it does not delete the notes on our respective EN clients. The reason is obvious: these notes only exist on our EN computer client and not on the server side. And as you may know Evernote Business do not allow to empty the trash through the client. You can only do it from the website (which is nonsense).  And on the my Evernote Business trash on the Web site is holding 15 notes that it can't delete and do not show on the list website. The website "Empty Trash" is hanging for ever and do not remove the remaining 15 notes in there (see screenshot attached)

I don't understand why Evernote do not let know Evernote Business users that making changes on significant amount of notes will result to the token getting expired!?!? Do not allow the client install on a given computer to do things it can't handle. Why not put in place a pop up window warning the users??

The fix is simple to prevent this: Allow Auth_Token to NEVER EXPIRED!

I have open a ticket for this and getting nowhere (Ticket# 1630202). I just updated my EN on this Beta version hoping it will fix the problem but it doesn't.

Being a long time EN user I have tried all the following troubleshooting:

  • Signing out - back in -> No success
  • CTRL+Help > Fix all notes > Optimise Database > Reboot -> No success
  • Uninstall EN (using Revo) -> Reinstall EN -> No success

As I am writing this our business is virtually on stand still because of this. All our data are held in Evernote and we can't work any more.

We need a fix to this please!

Can someone HELP!?
 

TrashHanging.jpg

01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Lesicaire I've escalated your case, hopefully customer support will be able to help. In the mean time, please try to manually revoke the authentication token by logging into the web client, it's in Account Settings under Applications. The log into your Windows client again and check if you will be able to sync. If this won't help, PM me.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/19/2016 at 1:04 AM, Justin Street said:

We just released a new beta. You can download it here

We've been listening to your feedback, and hope you'll like what's included in this release:

New:

  • Quick Search (Beta)
    • Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches. Just hit Ctrl + Q from anywhere in the app to give it a try.
    • Get notebooks, tags, and search queries suggestions as you type.
    • (Evernote Business) Switch to specific notebooks and tags across your Personal and Business content even faster.


Improved:

  • Tag view is back! Use this view to easily filter, edit and organize your tags.
  • Show and edit note dates directly from the note editor.
  • Take snapshots and insert them directly into your notes.

Fixed:

  • Some images were only shown as attachments. They are now consistently rendered inline.
  • Ink note shape recognition is now fixed.
  • Audio recordings are now saved when navigating away from the note.

The tags sheet is back!  AWESOME!!!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

"Well, there you go again..."

The dreaded "Not Responding" application state has returned with this Beta.  Want my application log?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

@Lesicaire I've escalated your case, hopefully customer support will be able to help. In the mean time, please try to manually revoke the authentication token by logging into the web client, it's in Account Settings under Applications. The log into your Windows client again and check if you will be able to sync. If this won't help, PM me.

I have done this and it did not work.

We have 3 PCs located on 2 different countries having this problem. And all the notes on the server do not match any of the notes store locally. More than 3000+ notes with various modifications during the past 5 or 6 weeks or so are totally out of sync.

A serious mess.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

@Lesicaire I've escalated your case, hopefully customer support will be able to help. In the mean time, please try to manually revoke the authentication token by logging into the web client, it's in Account Settings under Applications. The log into your Windows client again and check if you will be able to sync. If this won't help, PM me.

Can you tell me why this haven't been look into? I mean the Auth_Token that last only 1h on EN Business when the EN Personal account is 1 year?!?

Looking here on Evernote Dev sites it says:

 Authentication tokens issued by UserStore.authenticateToBusiness are only valid for one hour (as opposed to OAuth tokens, which are good for a full year). This means that your app will frequently need to re-authenticate with Evernote Business using the longer-lived OAuth token. Since the business authentication tokens are so short-lived, it's very probable that your app will encounterEDAMUserException with the AUTH_EXPIRED error code when trying to call a business API; ensure that your code accounts for this condition.

EN Business users will make modifications on a more important scale than a EN Personal users. I am running a shop and this is just a small business. All our info (client, products, etc) are store on Evernote. Just moving 700 notes which are 700 products note info to one notebook to another and sync this generate an  "EDAMUserException: errorCode=AUTH_EXPIRED parameter="authenticationToken". If I tag 600 notes while being offline, modify 200 notes titles and create new 150 notes and set my laptop back online I get this problem!

Why not having a pop up window warning the user of the problem? Why let the EN Client make all these changes if it can't handle it?

This to me doesn't make sense.

How can I now send back all these notes spread across 3 different EN Client and PCs back to the server? EN Support ask me to re-download all notes down to my PCs but this will result having notes out of date/sync for the past weeks when the update's once are all store locally accross 3 different PCs and they are note all the same notes on the 3 PCs.

Do you understand my problem here? Because EN Support team do not seem to get it so far. The notes I do not want to use are actually on the server. These notes are all out of dates.

This is my problem.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Lesicaire said:

Can you tell me why this haven't been look into? I mean the Auth_Token that last only 1h on EN Business when the EN Personal account is 1 year?!?

You own your personal account, whereas business account belongs to business. You are the only person who can revoke your personal authentication token, so there is no much sense to verify it that often. Business authentication tokens are revoked by business admin, and revocation should be effective within an hour. This is why business authentication tokens live much less than personal authentication tokens.

1 hour ago, Lesicaire said:

Do you understand my problem here? Because EN Support team do not seem to get it so far. The notes I do not want to use are actually on the server. These notes are all out of dates.

Not yet. I checked the code, and it appears to be correct: each sync session retrieves new business authentication token, existing authentication token is proactively renewed 5 minutes before it expires and the code correctly handles AUTH_EXPIRED exception by renewing business authentication and retrying the operation.

Still investigating...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Lesicaire Even if business authentication token renewal fails for some reason, your client should still be able to acquire a few token next time it syncs and keep syncing for an hour -- is this not happening?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I find the new window that pops up when you click on empty trash very annoying, as it means that I cannot use EN when trying to empty my trash. I noticed it came in on late v5. If I click on the EN window, it starts not responding.

Thanks :D

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 19.5.2016 at 11:25 AM, Mike P said:

I'm not sure what "Take snapshots and insert them directly into your notes" means. I'm still having to use the ctrl drag trick to copy the snapshot to the clipboard (rather than create a new note) and then I paste it into my existing note. Am I missing something?

 

A very useful new feature, which works as follows:
Hit "Snapshot" will change window, mark the region to shapshot and - while marking - press Ctrl-Btn (copies to clipboard)
Change to Evernote (or other app), position cursor and press Ctrl+v will insert the content of the clipboard

This way you have the chance to position at a certain place after copying and/or insert several times.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Thank you for adding notes 'zoom' in/out/actual size view modification functionality. Please consider adding an associated zoom % numerical display indicator onto the status and/or format editing toolbar. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/24/2016 at 2:45 AM, GiacomoLaw said:

I find the new window that pops up when you click on empty trash very annoying, as it means that I cannot use EN when trying to empty my trash. I noticed it came in on late v5. If I click on the EN window, it starts not responding.

Can you please provide a screen shot? I'm not seeing any windows that pop up when clicking on an empty trash.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...