New Evernote for Windows 5.8.14 Beta

Justin Street

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.14 beta release notes:

• App ratings - tell us what you think of this update by going to Help > Rate Evernote for Windows
  • Improved sync - notes will sync as soon as they are done being edited
  • Improved support of tables created in older versions of Evernote
  • Fixed a bug where some notifications would appear too frequently

Thanks for trying it out!

Does the "sync after edit"  garantuees that no premature sync happens (of my unencrypted data) as long as the editing and encryption hasn't finished yet? I don't want my sensitive data to be transmitted or stored on the evernote servers...

how does Evernote determine when the user is finished editing?

When the content has been saved to the database and when the application detects that you aren't actively modifying the note (i.e. if the content in the database is different from the content in the note editor, and there's a blinking cursor, the app assume's you are still editing). 

Does the "sync after edit"  garantuees that no premature sync happens (of my unencrypted data) as long as the editing and encryption hasn't finished yet? I don't want my sensitive data to be transmitted or stored on the evernote servers...

The application will only sync content saved in the local database. Encrypted content will always be saved into the database as encrypted content.  

Yes, I understand that encrypted content will always be saved into the database as encrypted content, but there is always a moment during editing that my content is not encrypted yet. My question was whether the automatic sync would perform an intermediate sync before I could encrypt it ?

Hi eric99,

The software cannot determine if you want to encrypt.

It sounds to me like you would be better turning off auto syncing and doing it manually.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

It sounds to me like you would be better turning off auto syncing and doing it manually.

I agree.  My first thought was even if it did sync before encryption occurred, the note would be replaced at the next scheduled sync with the encrypted content, but, I think, it is conceivable that a note history backup could take place before that happened and therefore an unencrypted version could, in theory, live on EN's servers.

• Level 5*

Couple of bugs so far...

• Every time I minimize the app and then open it up again, it resets my sidebar and note list widths. 
  • When adding tags to multiple notes at once, you have to click "Click to add tag" for every single tag (there's no window that pops up after hitting Enter to automatically add another tag).

In the mean time, I tested whether the note being edited get synced if a timed sync occurs mid edit:

1. On my Evernote for windows 5.8.13.8152,  I configured the autosync to 5 minutes

2.  I edited a new note and left the note open

3. After 5 minutes, I synced my evernote on Android

4. The new note, which was still open in my evernote for windows (with a blinking cursor), arrived on my mobile !

Conclusion: the note being edited *does* get synced if a timed sync occurs mid edit, meaning that we can't safely use encryption when autosync is on !

@Justin, is this a bug or is this intended behaviour ?

• Level 5*

In the mean time, I tested whether the note being edited get synced if a timed sync occurs mid edit:

1. On my Evernote for windows 5.8.13.8152,  I configured the autosync to 5 minutes

4. The new note, which was still open in my evernote for windows (with a blinking cursor), arrived on my mobile !

Conclusion: the note being edited *does* get synced if a timed sync occurs mid edit, meaning that we can't safely use encryption when autosync is on !

That has always been the case hasn't it? The current content of a note being created/edited will always sync on the autosync interval.

This will also save you from total data loss in case of a hard drive crash etc. while creating a new note.

I don't know if the time interval is reset at a manual sync, which would mean that you could manually sync prior to entering sensitive text and doing the encryption to buy time.

• Level 5*

Couple of annoying bugs in the latest beta (possibly earlier betas as well), both involving to-do checkboxes:

* Checkboxes are not preserved if you cut/copy, then paste, either into another note or in the current note. This appears to be the case for URL and note links.

* When clicking on a checkbox to check or uncheck it, if the subsequent text is a URL hyperlink (note links seem to be OK), then the link is activated, and you get an unexpected trip to your browser. For this case, it seems to be when you copy a hyperlink to a line in your note, then add a checkbox at the front end afterwards, but I haven't exhaustively gone through all of the possible gyrations.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

* Checkboxes are not preserved if you cut/copy, then paste, either into another note or in the current note. This appears to be the case for URL and note links.

Yes, this one has (unfortunately) been around for a while.  I believe since the new editor has appeared.  My work around is to deselect enable beta features and updates and then copy the checkbox items I need.  Unfortunately when I do deselect that option I get an Evernote error message that forces me to close and restart the application.  The application does restart with the option off.   Fortunately I only go through this drill once a week.  I look forward to the day that the new checkboxes are preserved.

• Level 5*

That has always been the case hasn't it? The current content of a note being created/edited will always sync on the autosync interval.

This will also save you from total data loss in case of a hard drive crash etc. while creating a new note.

I don't know if the time interval is reset at a manual sync, which would mean that you could manually sync prior to entering sensitive text and doing the encryption to buy time.

Not so sure about this.  I created a note with encrypted text in it and synched.  It appeared on another PC, encrypted.  I then set auto sync to 5 minutes and opened the encrypted text, added a line and left it open.  The sync * does not appear for the note, whereas it did for a non-encrypted note. 

The auto sync did not occur at 5 minutes, I waited until 8 minutes, still did not happen.  When I changed context the note synched and all the text was encrypted on the other PC.  So, don't know if that is by design, but editing a note with encrypted text worked differently.  Would be interesting if others get the same result.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Yes, this one has (unfortunately) been around for a while.  I believe since the new editor has appeared.  My work around is to deselect enable beta features and updates and then copy the checkbox items I need.  Unfortunately when I do deselect that option I get an Evernote error message that forces me to close and restart the application.  The application does restart with the option off.   Fortunately I only go through this drill once a week.  I look forward to the day that the new checkboxes are preserved.

Thanks. Losing the checkboxes is one thing; it's the unexpected jump to the URL in the browser that's really annoying. :)

• Level 5*

Small thing, but I had four notes in trash and decided to Empty Trash.  For the better part of 90 seconds I had a progress bar which said expunging notes.  Did a quick test by creating four notes, synching, deleting, synching and emptying.  Worked fine the second time.   ??????

I guess I like my anomalies to be repeatable.  :rolleyes:

Not so sure about this.  I created a note with encrypted text in it and synched.  It appeared on another PC, encrypted.  I then set auto sync to 5 minutes and opened the encrypted text, added a line and left it open.  The sync * does not appear for the note, whereas it did for a non-encrypted note. 

The auto sync did not occur at 5 minutes, I waited until 8 minutes, still did not happen.  When I changed context the note synched and all the text was encrypted on the other PC.  So, don't know if that is by design, but editing a note with encrypted text worked differently.  Would be interesting if others get the same result.  FWIW.

I can't reproduce this: a note with encrypted text still autosyncs. I tested on Evernote for windows 5.8.13.8152,  maybe this has been corrected in the beta then ?

• Level 5*

Simply put, editing encrypted text either actively or just sitting there seems to stop autosync.  Non encrypted seems to sync after a period of quiet or whenever autosync kicks in.  Best I can tell with my limited test.

• Level 5*

Checking UpSell: Checking Eligibiity - every MINUTE? Whats up with that. The answer is always: Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2015/07/19 22:04:36 (at least today). I already have the premium version, so why do I have to have valuable resources used up with this constant worthless checking?

• Level 5*

Checking UpSell: Checking Eligibiity - every MINUTE? Whats up with that. The answer is always: Checking UpSell: Not Eligible: Too soon, check API after 2015/07/19 22:04:36 (at least today). I already have the premium version, so why do I have to have valuable resources used up with this constant worthless checking?

I noticed that in the activity log as well.  Just quick model on the activity log file and it isn't every minute.  Quite random for me.  Worst hour I saw was 96 "Checking" lines, and many hours with none.   Yesterday was worse than today.  Looks like it might be an unintentional feature.  ;)

EDIT:  Should have mentioned first time, impressed by the apparent transparency of the log, just wondering about the frequency of the check...

• 1 month later...

I'm the Evernote Business Admin for my company.  Some of us (including myself) are on Macs...others on PCs.   I have no copy/paste issue with the checkboxes, but someone I was training today on a PC did have the issue.  Has there been any update on the checkbox issue for Windows users?  I don't usually follow Windows bugs since not many of us are on PCs.  

• Level 5*

Has there been any update on the checkbox issue for Windows users?

Nope, the issue still exists in the current Windows beta.  If you want to copy and paste text with checkboxes out of Evernote you first need to deselect Enable beta features and updates.

Tools -> Options -> General tab

This disables the new editor and converts the checkboxes to the original version which can be copied and pasted out of Evernote.  After that is done you can reselect the beta feature option to get back to the way it was.

Hopefully this will be fixed before the option to deselect the beta features is removed.

Archived