Note Size Limit Exceeded

Go to solution Solved by Bentot,

I received the following message in Evernote (on iOS 13.1.2)

Your note has reached the Plus size limit

Your file could not be attached because it put your note over the 50 MB size limit. Upgrade to attach up to 200 MB to each note.

Stop syncing these notes (Keep your current plan)
Get larger notes (Upgrade your plan)

I want to determine which note(s) is causing this message to pop up so I can remove it or figure out a different solution. How do I determine which notes are larger than 50 MB? I don't see any way on iOS to determine the size notes except by opening each one individually and clicking the i button in the corner for information. I'd hate to have to search through hundreds of notes. 

• Level 5

A 50MB - note is from my experience something that should stand out a bit, like a number of large size pictures, a video etc.

Maybe you have a lot of this stuff (then it would make sense to go Premium anyhow), otherwise it should be relatively easy to find and burn.

Pretty easy...

1. Make sure your 'Note List' is visible (F11) or Menu>View>Note List  (and use sidelist view)
  2. In your Note list, Right-Click the Column Header field, and make sure 'size' is checked
  3. Then Sort Notes by 'size'...think you might also need to check 'reverse sort order' to see largest at top

image.png.c4f80fed43074d5c3f8871c28ac08930.png

image.png.3897710c8f5506ef9a8f63c757697918.png

4 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

Pretty easy...

1. Make sure your 'Note List' is visible (F11) or Menu>View>Note List  (and use sidelist view)
  2. In your Note list, Right-Click the Column Header field, and make sure 'size' is checked
  3. Then Sort Notes by 'size'...think you might also need to check 'reverse sort order' to see largest at top

image.png.c4f80fed43074d5c3f8871c28ac08930.png

image.png.3897710c8f5506ef9a8f63c757697918.png

This is on an iOS device. It will not sync a specific note because of it's size. Not possible to do on a PC.

1 minute ago, Bentot said:

This is on an iOS device. It will not sync a specific note because of it's size. Not possible to do on a PC.

...and it's the specific note you're having issues locating, right?  In which case there is a method to identify which notes aren't syncing, at least on EN-for-Windows, what i use...will lookup my notes and see if i have something for you

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use descending update sequence; my recent notes are at the top of the list

Thanks for the tip. I looked at my latest notes and none of them are large. I typically only put text notes and occasionally one with a screenshot (<500kb). What's odd to me is that this error message is suggesting I added a note from my phone that was this large...the only thing I ever add from my phone is text. I typically would never try to upload an image, video, or anything with substantial content from my phone. I'm using evernote in a GTD method with pretty much just text items.

25 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

A 50MB - note is from my experience something that should stand out a bit, like a number of large size pictures, a video etc.

Maybe you have a lot of this stuff (then it would make sense to go Premium anyhow), otherwise it should be relatively easy to find and burn.

As I scroll through all of my notes with images, none of them are this large. How would it stand out to you? In the iOS interface, all I see is a small thumbnail when something contains an image. Other than that, I would still have to go in and check the size of it.

This was from a support request i made.  Again this is for Windows Version but perhaps it will help you.

Since you're seeing "!" on your end, please use these steps to reveal any unsynced notes:

1.    Select the Note List View icon and select Top List or Side List
2.    At the top of the note list, Select the Sort Icon > Sort notes by > Sync
3.    Unsynced notes will be listed with a dot displayed in the Sync column
?name=Unsynced+-+1.png
?name=Unsynced+-+2.png

After that you're able to see the unsynced notes, please follow the steps below.

1.    Copy and paste the content out of the referenced note into a new note
2.    Delete the referenced note
3.    Go to your 'Trash' notebook at the bottom of your notebooks list and delete the note from there so it's entirely removed from your account
4.    Sync Evernote
1 minute ago, RavBoy said:

...and it's the specific note you're having issues locating, right?  In which case there is a method to identify which notes aren't syncing, at least on EN-for-Windows, what i use...will lookup my notes and see if i have something for you

Correct. I have no idea what note is causing the sync issue. If I could sort all the notes by size (like on the desktop app), I could easily find it.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Bentot said:

Correct. I have no idea what note is causing the sync issue. If I could sort all the notes by size (like on the desktop app), I could easily find it.

Have you taken a look at the activity log to see if the note is named there?  Under Support under the account icon.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Bentot said:

Is there maybe some log file I can look at that might tell me which note is not syncing? The activity log is there, but there is so much text to scroll through...taking a look at that now.

Oops posted while you were posting.  I would kick off a sync and then look at it.

• Solution

I emailed myself the log file and did a search for "size". Found it!

2019/10/14 13:49:56:876 W|**  29115 -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) checkContraintsForNoteWithGuid:localID:title:contentLength:resourceCount:isDangling:totalNoteSize:deltaNoteSize:inLocalStore:] | XXxxXxXx-XXxx-XXXX-xxXx-xXxXxXXXXXXX 'Note Title' totalNoteSize=133497134, maximumNoteSize=52428800, refusing to upload

2019/10/14 13:49:56:877 E|*** 29115 -[ENSyncEngine(Errors) addSyncErrorForObjectWithID:title:message:underlyingError:] | Adding error: Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-2000 "It is too large.  The maximum size for a note in a Plus account, including all of its resources, is 50 MB." UserInfo={underlyingError=<EDAMUserException: 0xXXXXXXxxX; errorCode = LIMIT_REACHED; parameter = Note.size;>, NSLocalizedDescription=It is too large.  The maximum size for a note in a Plus account, including all of its resources, is 50 MB., localObjectID=0xxXXXXXXXxxxXxxxX <x-coredata://XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX/ENNote/pXXXX>, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Could not sync note ‘Note Title’.}

The title of the item was there, so I went back to my phone and searched. Sure enough it was in the trash and contained a bunch of photos I had taken. All the photos were related (subject-wise), but I don't recall trying to sync them to Evernote.

In the future a better search term might be "refusing to upload"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Well, the trash is internally treated as another notebook, with some specialties. Among them is that doing a normal search, notes in trash will not show. It is possible to search the trash itself, just select it before typing the search text.

And I think this is why the trash is synced automatically as well to the server. Deleting a note just sends it to the trash; out of sight, but still only one action away from being recovered. By syncing it, EN takes care that one can delete a note on an android phone, but recover it later on a Mac desktop.

This is a nice feature when you change your mind, but if you do not want to sync something, you have to delete it completely from the trash as well.

• Level 5*
On 10/14/2019 at 2:58 PM, Bentot said:

I emailed myself the log file and did a search for "size". Found it!

The title of the item was there, so I went back to my phone and searched. Sure enough it was in the trash and contained a bunch of photos I had taken. All the photos were related (subject-wise), but I don't recall trying to sync them to Evernote.

In the future a better search term might be "refusing to upload"

Good job finding it. I've had more than one sync issue caused by notes in the trash on my iPhone.

• 7 months later...

on IOS, the solution (for me) is to scroll the Evernote trash bin on my smartphone, and the note that is causing the issue will be highlighted with a small red exclamation mark - remove it permantly and ... voilà, problem solved.