Jump to content
Nick L.

Evernote for Android 8.12

Recommended Posts

Hi folks, 

We are now slowly rolling out Evernote for Android 8.12 to our users. If you haven't seen the update in the Google Play Store yet, you will see it coming in the next few days. 

Fixed:

  • The Create Notebook dialog and keyboard no longer disappear when you rotate your device while using dark theme. 
  • When you try to change settings from the 4x2 widget, the passcode lock screen no longer appears twice.

Enjoy and please let us know if you have feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, @Nick L.. I don't often gripe about what updates cover, but.... Maybe those were just the low-hanging fruit, but they don't sound like problems affecting lots of users in lots of situations. I could well be wrong about that, of course. But I sure hope this one gets fixed in 8.13:

And this one:

 

Share this post


Link to post

Could you update the version of Evernote available to Amazon Fire tablet users? I know that Fire OS is a forked version of Android but it is at its core Android Nougat so the app will work on Fire tablets. The only issue will likely be around IAP (In App Purchasing) of Evernote subscriptions. Either change that script to make it work or remove it on Fire tablets and then it'll be golden! Please!

Share this post


Link to post

After this update i cannot open anymore any of home screen shortcuts. Evernote opens up, but it stays on whatever note/location it was before.

Step by step:

  1. Create a shortcut on your home screen to your note.
  2. Navigate back to evernote and open any other note.
  3. Go back to home screen, open the schortcut.
  4. Evernote opens up, but it's on the other note.

The same issue exists for the previously created schortucts, and the ones newly created after the update.

The workaround is to close Evernote before opening the schortcut. Now Evernote will open the correct note, but it's time consuming to find Evernote between all the apps and close it.

 

This is a huge thing for me, because I have 12 schortucts on my home screen and I use them multiple times a day :(

P.S. Evernote asks for passcode in my case, and after that it doesn't ask for 1 hour. However, it always works incorrectly even if passcode was entered already in that hour. Thought, it's worth to mention since that's one of the changes in the release.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also on the latest version of the Android app, and I have shortcuts on my home screen. I've tested, and I'm not having the problem. The easiest solutions for most mobile Evernote issues are: FIRST DO A MANUAL SYNC!; then (1) turn off the phone and restart it; (2) if that doesn't fix the problem, temporarily change any offline notebooks to regular synced notebooks, do another sync, then uninstall Evernote, reinstall it, and wait for it to download the information it needs. If that doesn't work, then since you've got a Premium subscription you might want to contact Evernote support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

Share this post


Link to post

I encountered a rather unusual situation when doing a search: when taping on a particular search result, I found a note with the title of one note and the body of a completely unrelated note!  I thought I had lost both notes through corruption or something, but I noticed that the Windows version had the correct note.  After trying many things (clearly the cache, making notebooks online only again, etc), I was only able to fix the problem by completely uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

This is rather disturbing because sometimes opening a note sets it in a edited state, whether I want it or not, thus risking making a change permanent if I move around too quickly.

Share this post


Link to post

New update installed today 8.12.1 - the "insert horizontal line" function is still not fixed.

Is this because my phone is still on Android 7.1.1  ???

 

 

.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also on v. 8.12, and Android 9, and I still have the horizontal line insertion problem too, at least in notes that already have some horizontal lines. Really hope they'll fix it soon. I've resorted to tapping on the icon to insert the line, going to the end of the note where the line is inserted, typing "foo" so that I have something to select, selecting "foo" and the line above it, cutting, and pasting where I actually want the line to be.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

(1) turn off the phone and restart it; (2) if that doesn't fix the problem, temporarily change any offline notebooks to regular synced notebooks, do another sync, then uninstall Evernote, reinstall it, and wait for it to download the information it needs. If that doesn't work, then since you've got a Premium subscription you might want to contact Evernote support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

I didn't notice any email about here being a reply... Finally came to forum to post about it again, to just find this. There was even a new version released during this time, but update didn't solve my issue.

It's reassuring that it's working for you. 1 will not help, as my phone is being restarted automatically every week.

Also by manual sync you mean simply clicking "sync" button? Tried that one. But the shortcut notes are old, should have nothing to do with not being synced.

I just went to option 2, and removed Evernote. Which is annoying, as just to create all those shortcuts takes time. Restarted the phone to make sure it's uninstalled. And it solved the problem

Thanks! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/9/2019 at 11:50, PovilasPanavas dijo:

After this update i cannot open anymore any of home screen shortcuts. Evernote opens up, but it stays on whatever note/location it was before.

Step by step:

  1. Create a shortcut on your home screen to your note.
  2. Navigate back to evernote and open any other note.
  3. Go back to home screen, open the schortcut.
  4. Evernote opens up, but it's on the other note.

The same issue exists for the previously created schortucts, and the ones newly created after the update.

The workaround is to close Evernote before opening the schortcut. Now Evernote will open the correct note, but it's time consuming to find Evernote between all the apps and close it.

 

This is a huge thing for me, because I have 12 schortucts on my home screen and I use them multiple times a day :(

P.S. Evernote asks for passcode in my case, and after that it doesn't ask for 1 hour. However, it always works incorrectly even if passcode was entered already in that hour. Thought, it's worth to mention since that's one of the changes in the release.

This is my  problem too. Any answer from Evernote? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, PovilasPanavas said:

I didn't notice any email about here being a reply... Finally came to forum to post about it again, to just find this. There was even a new version released during this time, but update didn't solve my issue.

It's reassuring that it's working for you. 1 will not help, as my phone is being restarted automatically every week.

Also by manual sync you mean simply clicking "sync" button? Tried that one. But the shortcut notes are old, should have nothing to do with not being synced.

I just went to option 2, and removed Evernote. Which is annoying, as just to create all those shortcuts takes time. Restarted the phone to make sure it's uninstalled. And it solved the problem

Thanks! :)

Excellent news, glad that worked! Just for the record, my point about syncing was just to be sure a sync was done before uninstalling, so that any new notes or recent edits would be saved on the Evernote servers.

And just to be clear for others who may come here with this problem, uninstalling and reinstalling solved the problem of Evernote opening up to the previous note/location when tapping on a home screen shortcut/widget, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, cverdul said:

This is my  problem too. Any answer from Evernote? Thanks

These are mainly user-to-user forums, and specific answers from Evernote are rare here. It's a big deal to do, but if you check previous posts you'll see that uninstalling the program (after doing a complete sync!) and reinstalling it may work to fix the issue of widgets not opening the linked note.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 9/27/2019 at 4:19 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Excellent news, glad that worked! Just for the record, my point about syncing was just to be sure a sync was done before uninstalling, so that any new notes or recent edits would be saved on the Evernote servers.

And just to be clear for others who may come here with this problem, uninstalling and reinstalling solved the problem of Evernote opening up to the previous note/location when tapping on a home screen shortcut/widget, correct?

Yes, clicking any shortcuts on home screens started to take to correct notes.

However, it broke again yesterday :( Even a week hasn't passed since I reinstalled it.

I can't be reinstalling the app so often - unless it would remember the settings...

Is this a problem with my phone? Any ideas why this is happening?

I'm using Samsung A8 (Android 9, And security patch 1 August 2019, and there are no updates available).

Edited by PovilasPanavas
Added phone type

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, PovilasPanavas said:

Yes, clicking any shortcuts on home screens started to take to correct notes.

However, it broke again yesterday :( Even a week hasn't passed since I reinstalled it.

I can't be reinstalling the app so often - unless it would remember the settings...

Is this a problem with my phone? Any ideas why this is happening?

I'm using Samsung A8 (Android 9, And security patch 1 August 2019, and there are no updates available).

Sorry to hear that! No, frequent reinstalling is certainly not desirable. Have you updated to the most recent version, 8.12.1?

Share this post


Link to post

@Nick L., I want to report that today, for the first time in a long time, the note lock problem happened to me again. That link is to the existing thread on this issue, where any other occurrences should be reported. But for the sake of information here, this is what happened. I edited a long note (a list of books to look for) with a lot of divider lines. I went to a certain point, inserted another divider line; oh yeah, that doesn't work; went to the end of the note, typed a word, selected the word and the divider, cut it, and pasted it where I wanted the divider to be; typed some text as I desired; saved the note; and got the dreaded "Note upload failed" message, with the red triangle ! icon on the note in the note list. From that point on, that note was dead on my phone. I was able to edit it as I desired on the Web and Windows interfaces. Syncing then added the properly edited note to the notebook on my phone as a new note there, and converted the dead note to a "Note conflict" note, but again only on the phone, since (heh) it can't be synced to the servers.

I have to say, since this problem was introduced with v. 8.10, it seems like it ought to be pretty easy to see what was changed to cause it to happen. Perky little update notes on Google Play about how "we found those ugly little bugs and just squishy-squashed them all" only become more annoying when truly serious bugs like this one are allowed to persist without comment.

Share this post


Link to post
On 27/9/2019 at 17:21, Dave-in-Decatur dijo:

These are mainly user-to-user forums, and specific answers from Evernote are rare here. It's a big deal to do, but if you check previous posts you'll see that uninstalling the program (after doing a complete sync!) and reinstalling it may work to fix the issue of widgets not opening the linked note.

I reinstalled and, a few days after, the problem persists. No shortcut (widget, manual, ...) works. It is necessary to close all Evernote for the link to work

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/10/2019 at 9:44, PovilasPanavas dijo:

Yes, clicking any shortcuts on home screens started to take to correct notes.

However, it broke again yesterday :( Even a week hasn't passed since I reinstalled it.

I can't be reinstalling the app so often - unless it would remember the settings...

Is this a problem with my phone? Any ideas why this is happening?

I'm using Samsung A8 (Android 9, And security patch 1 August 2019, and there are no updates available).

Hi.
My phone is a Huawei P8 Lite and the problem with shortcuts persists. I have the 8.12.1 version installed.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, cverdul said:

I reinstalled and, a few days after, the problem persists. No shortcut (widget, manual, ...) works. It is necessary to close all Evernote for the link to work

I just checked again, and the note widget is working for me. I have no explanation for why it works or doesn't work, but clearly some malfunction is going on, especially if it continues to fail after a reinstall. Wish I could offer some help. Would it be worth subscribing to a Premium membership for just a month, simply in order to open a support ticket on this? You can always drop back to Basic when you want to.

Share this post


Link to post

A user in the the note lock problem thread posted that in the most recent version they were able to edit locked notes, so I went and updated to v. 8.12.2. But I find that, for me, nothing has changed. I still can't edit any locked note, and tapping the lock icon still gives the idiotic "created in another app" message. Very frustrating. And the equally idiotic version note "We came; we saw; we conquered bugs" on Google Play only adds insult to the injury. What bugs exactly? Ones actually affecting users, or just ones crawling around the lab? Sheesh.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...