Carl-L-ND

EN v8.1.0 - Insert horizontal line now inserts at bottom of note

Android 7.1.1

Evernote v 8.1.0

re: insert horizontal line function

Along with the issue of taking a minute or more for notes to display for viewing or editing, I have now discovered that this editing function in the Android app no longer works as it once did.

It used to always insert the horizontal line at the blinking cursor.  Now is always places it at the bottom of the note.  Works fine in the desktop Windows app.

Another negative for EN ver 8.1.0

2019-06-22-Evernote-Fail-A.thumb.JPG.b8df0f83392805aa0dc3bee71b18dec1.JPG

This is a key editing function for me as I use the horizontal line extensively to break up a note into smaller sub-sections, usually with a date stamp in them.  When I'm researching an issue and adding updates as I resolve the problem or a product progresses from beta mode to final form I keep all the updates in one note on the issue/product.  Ditto when using EN for client management and keeping track of interactions.

BTW... that is another function Evernote should have on that menu bar - a date insertion tool preferably in the form factor of yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss.   I currently use a work around app but it is clumsy.

Makes it easy to search for all notes or note updates from a specific day or month where you have time stamped your note.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 4:27 PM, Carl-L-ND said:

It used to always insert the horizontal line at the blinking cursor.  Now is always places it at the bottom of the note.  Works fine in the desktop Windows app.

Confirmed. I see that, too.

• Like 1

I have now updated to 8.1.1.

That fixed the delay to view the note but the insert horizontal line function remains broken.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:20 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Evernote already includes a search feature for created date and updated date which might help - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax

I use that fabulous search function to search for a character string - the text of my date stamp yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss  (ex. 2019-06-30-090600).  Searching on the creation date or last update is of no value because the text I'm looking for is from a date in between those two end points.

I'm using Evernote in the same fashion as the old old recipe card contact management system sales reps used for clients 20 years ago.  All comments (sub-notes?) and activity for a particular client over many years is in one note with multiple, often daily, additions of comments on requests or issues.  Each sub note having a horizontal line above and below it and a date stamp plus the name of the person being dealt with.

For example:  I want to go back and review my notes from a day during a recent business trip.  It becomes a simple matter to pull up all additions from a particular day by searching on the date stamp.

I can confirm the horizontal line issue that started in v. 8.10 continues in v. 8.11. It happens most often for me in a complex note that already contains at least one horizontal line. How on earth does junk like this get past beta?

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can confirm the horizontal line issue that started in v. 8.10 continues in v. 8.11. It happens most often for me in a complex note that already contains at least one horizontal line. How on earth does junk like this get past beta?

Sometimes a release gets pushed out earlier that is desired because it contains a fix for a far more serious problem. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but the 8.11 release does appear to fix a major performance slowdown, something that would almost certainly affect more users than a problem with horizontal rules, annoying though it is. Hopefully they'll move on to fix that sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Really???

What has a horizontal line to do with performance slowdown????

1 hour ago, AndreasM said:

Really???

What has a horizontal line to do with performance slowdown????

Both were issues within the 8.10.0 version of Evernote.  Was the horizontal line bug the sole cause of the performance slowdown? Obviously not as 8.1.1 fixed the delay in notes being displayed but not the horizontal line bug.

I am concerned that your interpretation of previous posts in this thread may be causing tremendous anxiety for you.  Know what I mean ??? ????

😉😉

6 hours ago, Carl-L-ND said:

Was the horizontal line bug the sole cause of the performance slowdown? Obviously not as 8.1.1 fixed the delay in notes being displayed but not the horizontal line bug.

[I know you're replying to someone else]

Just to be clear, I never meant to imply that they were related, just coincident in the same 8.10 releases. Given the choice of having one or the other fixed, I'd choose having performance back up to speed first. Hopefully they get to the other one shortly.

6 hours ago, Carl-L-ND said:

I am concerned that your interpretation of previous posts in this thread may be causing tremendous anxiety for you.  Know what I mean ??? ????

Ah yeah. Forum "ignore" functionality can be your friend...

19 hours ago, jefito said:

Sometimes a release gets pushed out earlier that is desired because it contains a fix for a far more serious problem. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but the 8.11 release does appear to fix a major performance slowdown, something that would almost certainly affect more users than a problem with horizontal rules, annoying though it is. Hopefully they'll move on to fix that sooner rather than later.

Good point, Jeff. I'm a bit out of shape, having been, you know, living life for a couple of months rather than monitoring these forums. ;) :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Good point, Jeff. I'm a bit out of shape, having been, you know, living life for a couple of months rather than monitoring these forums. ;) :lol:

I do that every once in awhile, for no real reason that I can come up with,  but I always seem to drag my butt (and my 2 cents) back in again eventually...

• Like 1

LOL  if they had not fixed the performance issue first I would not have had to worry about the horizontal line.  It was that bad, rendered Evernote mobile pretty much useless for me as a tool to make a note while with my clients.

The first couple of times I dropped notes into Keep and then copied them over later.  After that I dug my notepad and a pen out of my technical kit and kept it with me.  Old school but it works offline. 😉 😄

New update today (v8.1.2) - insert line still not fixed.

33 minutes ago, Carl-L-ND said:

Just ignore, as previously suggested.

35 minutes ago, Carl-L-ND said:

Always best to post in the release thread... 

EDIT:  but please don't cross-post.  I get confused...

On 8/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, Carl-L-ND said:

Finding the same thing in v. 8.12 (and we've mentioned it in the release thread too). In case it may be useful for others experiencing this, here's my workaround: I tap on the icon to insert the line, go to the end of the note where the line is inserted, type "foo" so that I have something to select, select "foo" and the line above it, cut, and paste where I actually want the line to be. And then delete "foo."

• Like 1

FWIW - 'foo' (or any text) + the line works in Windows desktop too,  while just selecting the line and trying anything other than delete does not.  Nice.

• Like 1

FWIW.... it has nothing to do with the Android version or hardware if my experience is definitive.

New phone... Samsung Galaxy S10+ and Android 9, fresh install, and the line still inserts at the bottom of the note.

Now to see what happens with the locked note issue.

• Like 1