QUESTION: Evernote portable app?

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi Alan - yes it does.  Check the Google or Apple store for an app compatible with your device.

Howdy, gazumped:

This is for a WIN 10 notebook.

Have not found using Google search.

THX.  ~ Alan

• Level 5*

Ah.  Sorry - interpreted 'portable' as 'mobile'.  If your notebook runs standard Win 10 you should be able to install the normal desktop app.  You may be able to download something from the Windows store which is the standard app in a Microsoft wrapper which may have some added 'touch' abilities,  but judging by comments from people who use touch screen access for other apps,  Evernote's 'touch' capabilities are not great. 

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2018 at 7:53 AM, ab1kenobee said:

I take it that EN does not offer a PORTABLE APP.

What is your understanding of "Portable App"

In addition to the web app, Evernote definitely offers an app for various devices.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

What is your understanding of "Portable App"

Howdy, DTLow:

• Portable App does not install to REGISTRY
  • All files required to run the app reside in a single folder
  • Folder can be custom located on disk

Is such current version available?

THX.  ~ Alan

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ab1kenobee said:

Confirmed - this is not an Evernote feature

Edited: As you discovered, there are third party apps that use a reduced footprint to give access to your Evernote data.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
41 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

No.

Evernote uses the registry to locate your data.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

Any comments?

Well done! :)

6.5.4 was released by Evernote at the beginning of 2017 (apparently) so it will be missing some of the features you may currently be using.  I'd suggest testing it out carefully to make sure the database structure is still compatible and that you can see notes on your main system that were created on the notebook.

If you find this works out for your needs,  please keep this thread updated - I'd be interested in trying this out sometime...

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Well done! :)

6.5.4 was released by Evernote at the beginning of 2017 (apparently) so it will be missing some of the features you may currently be using.  I'd suggest testing it out carefully to make sure the database structure is still compatible and that you can see notes on your main system that were created on the notebook.

If you find this works out for your needs,  please keep this thread updated - I'd be interested in trying this out sometime...

Howdy, gazumped:

Appreciate your follow-up.

I wil SANDBOXIE the portable app... evaluate... and glad to report.

THX.  ~ Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, GeraltofRivia said:

i made my own 'portabolized' version of v6.11 (June2018), run from usb or sd card or pc, if you are interested.

Geralto:

Thank you and I apologize for this much delayed response.

QUESTIONS

1. Is not v6.11 much outdated?

2. How to keep portablized EN updated?

3. If standard EN updates run under Sandboxie... would this not also accomplish accomplish also keeping WIN 10 OS registry-FREE and clean?

Thank you in advance for a prompt and detailed response to all the above,

~ Alan

• 4 weeks later...

1. Is not v6.11 much outdated?

The latest is v6.13 as of July 4th, 2018.

2. How to keep portabolized EN updated?

You cant. Just need to make another portable from a newer setup version. This means notebook has to be synchronized anew.

3. If standard EN updates run under Sandboxie... would this not also accomplish also keeping WIN 10 OS registry-FREE and clean?

Portable version does not add anything new into the registry.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, ab1kenobee said:

... a method to create such a portable?

THX.  ~ Alan

What you need is ENP Launcher available here:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16544

• Level 5

Hello guys, I follow this thread with total amazement about the wonders of the IT world.

But one simple question: What for ?

If I own the device, I install the EN client, and call it a day.

If not, I go through the web portal, if need be in private mode.

Or I use the mobile devices we all (?) carry around all day long, knowing that the Apps for iOS or Android are not completely up to the windows App. But at least I have a working solution that will work even after the next update, and not compromise my data.

So I have not understood the use case behind all this non-registry-mobile-take-along-stuff. But if there is something I miss, I would be happy to learn.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 2/11/2019 at 11:17 PM, PinkElephant said:

But one simple question: What for ?

I agree - removable storage gives you a very good chance of corrupting your data by forgetting to plug the thing in when you need it.  Plus there's a whole ocean of security issues around a small,  easily hidden and very quickly removable piece of tech attached to a laptop.  There is,  I guess,  the issue of devices with very limited storage - but there are other ways to deal with that.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Back to the PRIMARY question of this thread:

Has anyone figured out how to PORTABLIZE Evernote and keep it current portablized following periodic updates?

THX.  ~ Alan

Did you not read the post I suggested? It's all explained in there.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:27 PM, skala said:

What you need is ENP Launcher available here:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16544

On 2/11/2019 at 11:33 PM, gazumped said:

That particular post and all its comments seem to be 7 years old,  and Evernote has changed a bit since then... anyone currently using this launcher with up to date versions of Evernote?

14 hours ago, skala said:

Did you not read the post I suggested? It's all explained in there.

Hello, @skala...

I was waiting for you to respond to @gazumped 's post: "That particular post and all its comments seem to be 7 years old..."

• 9 months later...

I also would largely appreciate a portable evernote installation. My company (let's call it Paranoia corp.)  seems to have very little trust in its employees and blocks everything blockable: Installation of software, installatio of browser plugins (web clipper), Browser profile synchronization - and writing of data to any external media or net drives - anything. You can't even tag programs to the taskbar or delete icons from the desktop.

Unfortunately I formerly worked for another company having more trust to its employees. So all my working notes are on evernote. But the web interface is not as comfortable, and I'm really missing the web clipper. But at least I need a "real" evernote with multiple lean windows and all the GUI goodies Evernote has to offer. No hope for me?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Doc-Ralf said:

I also would largely appreciate a portable evernote installation. My company (let's call it Paranoia corp.)  seems to have very little trust in its employees and blocks everything blockable: Installation of software, installatio of browser plugins (web clipper), Browser profile synchronization - and writing of data to any external media or net drives - anything. You can't even tag programs to the taskbar or delete icons from the desktop.

Hi.  Given all of the above,  how would you access a 'portable' app anyway?  Any sensibly paranoid IT team will block thumb drive access and any internet use you have is probably through a firewall that blocks selected external services that might include Evernote. 

Best I can suggest would be to run Evernote mobile on a tablet - the iOS / Android apps offer a reasonable level of service,  and you can use the device cameras to 'scan' (rather than clip) internal documents and screens - although you might want to check very carefully what your employment obligations are with respect to corporate security.

Some security is mainly to avoid general malicious actors,  other companies are not only concerned about general purpose bad guys,  but have serious intellectual property to protect.  If you're in the latter category the company tends to have a really really dim view of any infringement for any reason.

(I have in the past worked for government contactors who tend to be ... sensitive ... about their system security - but a lot of the guys I worked with kept their working files in Dropbox accounts!)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

A company can decide to make their employees unproductive, by locking up the computers. A company can decide to loose employees who will not continue in an atmosphere of permanent mistrust. But up to my knowledge anything an employee creates while working for that company is property of that company, because it paid for the creation. There may be exceptions, but in general the results of the work of their employees belongs to the employer.

So if your company is „paranoid“ about their computer systems, from their point of view they just try to protect their intellectual property. And your problem is not that there is no „mobile“ app to use EN on such a machine. This is plain irrelevant, with all the mobile stuff that fits into ones pockets today.

IMHO your real problem is that you try to use information gained during your prior job (that stuff in EN you mention) somehow to do the job with your current employer. This could cause real damage for your current employer (because there might be information found on his system that should not be there), and for yourself.

It is perfectly o.k. to use your personal know-how (the one that rests between your left and right ear) on your current job. But I would think twice before using physical know-how taken from a former employer on my job with the new one. Especially if he is so paranoid as you say ... because he will expect you to do the same again when you quit there one day. Chances are he will speed up your quitting to protect himself !

• Like 1

The portable launcher linked to in ab1kenobee's post of Feb 15 works just fine. I'm in a similar position, not having admin rights on my work PC, but the portable launcher works perfectly with the current version of EN, and allows EN to update itself in the normal way.

• Like 1