REQUEST: Add a Due Date (not reminders)

mwgerard

One of the things I need Evernote for is keeping track of the books I am reviewing. While I use the "reminders" feature to help me plan out my review schedule, I really need a "due date" option. A reminder should remind me that something is coming due soon. The due date (obviously optional) would set a deadline for that item/task. 

Most importantly (for me) would then be the ability to see my notebook sorted by due date. Right now that's not an option and the only way to work around it is to use the reminders check list and as it to sort by reminder date. 

For my purposes, it's clunky. Which is so very unlike all the other slick things Evernote can do. 

• Level 5*

Well said.  We have been requesting a "Due Date" field for years, and was promised one by CEO Phil Libin at one point, but Evernote's ultimate response was to provide us with the much more complicated "Reminders" feature.

• Level 5*

@Frank, that is one limited work-around, but it is not nearly the same as having a true Due Date field.  This has been discussed endlessly over the years.  You can see the pros/cons by doing a Google on "Evernote due date".

• Level 5*

I'm guessing that Evernote as a whole believes that they fulfilled Libin's "promise" with their Reminders. I find them useful; not everyone does. They could probably be changed / improved (e.g. exposing them as sortable fields); as usual, we'll see. They are actually not all that complicated, and that's the idea. A simple to-do / due date (or whatever date; that which we call a rose, etc.) facility that's integrated into a note (so they follow along with standard note filtering), with the capability to be viewed as a a sublist (independently sortable, including arbitrary sorting). Maybe as they move more purposefully into the business arena, they'll add more capabilities.

• Level 5*

As the original poster, mwgerard, so clearly stated, Due Dates and Reminders are clearly two different things.

You can guess at what Evernote does or doesn't "believe", but it is irrelevant.  The plain facts are that Libin did not deliver on his promise.  But that is not the point.  

The point is that Reminders do NOT remove the need for a Due Date for many of us users.  Maybe it does for Evernote, but not for us.

I really need a "due date" option. A reminder should remind me that something is coming due soon. The due date (obviously optional) would set a deadline for that item/task. 

Most importantly (for me) would then be the ability to see my notebook sorted by due date. Right now that's not an option and the only way to work around it is to use the reminders check list and as it to sort by reminder date. 

For my purposes, it's clunky. Which is so very unlike all the other slick things Evernote can do. 

• Level 5*

@JMU: the original post is clear, and the request is reasonable. Had you not chosen to trot out the irrelevant detail of Libin's "promise" again, I probably wouldn't have commented. Well done. Time to get over that, it's been well over a year now.

• Level 5*
Another workaround, but you can use the author field without too much fear and if you don't care about its content (as I don't).  I think it only gets populated when you email something to EN,  You get at it through the information icon, in Windows in any case.  Use a dating mechanism like 20yy.mm.dd in the author field and you will can sort the results when you add Author as a column in list view and you search using author:20*.  Depending upon frequency of use it could be a PITA to go to the information icon, but you would have a due date.

Very creative workaround Cal. I won't use it, but I love it! 

It took me a while to figure out that one had to right click on the toolbar in List View to bring up the column options in order to add "Author".

• Level 5*

@csihilling:  Since the Author field is a TEXT field, it can't be searched using date expressions.

There are many work-arounds, almost all of them have been previously discussed in-depth.  Yet all fall far short of having a true Due Date field.

Another workaround, but you can use the author field without too much fear and if you don't care about its content (as I don't).  I think it only gets populated when you email something to EN,  You get at it through the information icon, in Windows in any case.  Use a dating mechanism like 20yy.mm.dd in the author field and you will can sort the results when you add Author as a column in list view and you search using author:20*.  Depending upon frequency of use it could be a PITA to go to the information icon, but you would have a due date.

• Level 5*

@csihilling:  Since the Author field is a TEXT field, it can't be searched using date expressions.

There are many work-arounds, almost all of them have been previously discussed in-depth.  Yet all fall far short of having a true Due Date field.

The above workaround doesn't use a date search, it is a TEXT search.  The above makes no reference that it is better than a Due Date field.  It is just an option for the OP in the absence of such.  No more, no less.  If it is redundant to other posts, that would be a first for these forums.

• Level 5*

@csihilling:   My main point was that you can't search the Author field with date expressions, which are very powerful, and an important aspect of all date fields.  I understand you can search it as text.  It's not a bad work-around, just not as good as having a real date field.   ;) 

• Level 5*

I suppose it depends on the definition of "workaround".  Some might take it as an alternate way of achieving the same effect/benefit/outcome, which none of the above do.  I was only pointing out a shortfall in desired effect.  No big deal.  ;)

Is something a shortfall if it provides a way to do something that can otherwise not be done with the existing set of features? Evernote does not currently provide an intuitive way of setting due dates and reminders. I think the workaround Cal mentioned is worth taking note of, at the very least for the lateral thinking involved. It sure tickled my fancy, even though I would not consider using Evernote to manage my tasks. 

• Level 5*

Since you cannot search a text field using date expressions, then, yes, it is a shortfall.

BTW, I just thought of a potential issue using the Author field.  Using it in an a way not supported by the developer leaves you open to loss of data IF in the future the developer drops the field, or starts making use of it in a more active manner.  I'm not saying this will happen, I'm just saying it is possible.

Since you cannot search a text field using date expressions, then, yes, it is a shortfall.

BTW, I just thought of a potential issue using the Author field.  Using it in an a way not supported by the developer leaves you open to loss of data IF in the future the developer drops the field, or starts making use of it in a more active manner.  I'm not saying this will happen, I'm just saying it is possible.

Yep, anything is possible. The same could go for many features we currently make good use of. Should we be crippled with anxiety if everything we currently do in Evernote cannot be preserved and exported in an ENEX file?

It's only a shortfall insofar as comparing with other apps. The workaround in question, as it relates to Evernote's set of features, provides a way of doing something which cannot otherwise (easily) be done currently. So, really, we're working with many "shortfalls" in Evernote - which seem to be acceptable to many. 

• Level 5*

For the OP, I prefer to put the date information in the title.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

If you have something due on December 6, just make a note titled "20141206 keyword keyword." If you have all of your notes prefaced by dates, then everything naturally lines up in the order it is needed. On December 6, when you open Evernote, the note will be right there ready to go. It is not a "due date" feature, and it isn't a workaround (whatever you think that means), but it is a way to approach organizing your notes so that everything fits together. This organizational approach is based on remembering things chronologically and / or topically (the keywords in the title), and it benefits from Evernote's advanced search "Intitle:" which helps you narrow stuff down. 

This works for some people. It doesn't work so well for others. Your mileage may vary. Personally, I don't think Evernote plans to add a due date, and I wouldn't use it if they did, because this system works fine for me. As I have said before, it's best to work with the app that is, not the app that was, or the app that we hope it will be someday. In this case, I think your notes will be pretty portable and immediately useful in another app if you decide you need to change services, because the titles are going to still be searchable anywhere you go. I prefer this to metadata that is difficult or impossible to easily transfer, much less search using something like Spotlight.

...and it isn't a workaround (whatever you think that means), but it is a way to approach organizing your notes so that everything fits together. 

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #427

I went to the movies today. While standing in line to buy a ticket I noticed a sign on the ticket booth window that indicated I was eligible for a senior discount. For some reason I was surprised. I don't know why. I'd been eligible for quite some time, but until that moment I'd never once considered availing myself of this somewhat dubious perk. Anyway, I jokingly pointed out to the young girl in the ticket booth that I was indeed old enough to be treated as a senior. She nodded and proceeded to give me the discount. I asked if she wanted to see proof of age. She glanced at me, shrugged and said, "Nope." The movie was a comedy, but I was in no mood to laugh. I just sat there and sulked until I fell asleep.

• Level 5*

If you have something due on December 6, just make a note titled "20141206 keyword keyword." If you have all of your notes prefaced by dates, then everything naturally lines up in the order it is needed. On December 6, when you open Evernote, the note will be right there ready to go. It is not a "due date" feature, and it isn't a workaround (whatever you think that means), but it is a way to approach organizing your notes so that everything fits together. This organizational approach is based on remembering things chronologically and / or topically (the keywords in the title), and it benefits from Evernote's advanced search "Intitle:" which helps you narrow stuff down. 

GM,

Definitely both methods will work depending on one's preferences.  I don't do either, I can get by with the reminders functionality.  The one thing I do like about the above, hopefully no pride in ownership tipping my thinking, is that you can isolate the note set quickly with the author TEXT search.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

...and it isn't a workaround (whatever you think that means), but it is a way to approach organizing your notes so that everything fits together. 

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #427

I went to the movies today. While standing in line to buy a ticket I noticed a sign on the ticket booth window that indicated I was eligible for a senior discount. For some reason I was surprised. I don't know why. I'd been eligible for quite some time, but until that moment I'd never once considered availing myself of this somewhat dubious perk. Anyway, I jokingly pointed out to the young girl in the ticket booth that I was indeed old enough to be treated as a senior. She nodded and proceeded to give me the discount. I asked if she wanted to see proof of age. She glanced at me, shrugged and said, "Nope." The movie was a comedy, but I was in no mood to laugh. I just sat there and sulked until I fell asleep.

Droll.   :)

• Level 5*

GM,

Definitely both methods will work depending on one's preferences.  I don't do either, I can get by with the reminders functionality.  The one thing I do like about the above, hopefully no pride in ownership tipping my thinking, is that you can isolate the note set quickly with the author TEXT search.  FWIW.

same as intitle, though, right :)

intitle:201412* gets me all of december

intitle:201412* intitle:tuesday gets all tuesday journal entries for december

intitle:clip gets me all my web clippings (emailed, copy/pasted, etc)

the author field works exactly the same, except i find i like the ability to sort by date updated and title. in additon, only the title can be made or modified on mobile devices.

• Level 5*

All excellent points. Here's where personal style kicks in, I rarely put dates in note titles except for statements, not my feng shui. Mostly same as intitle except only due date items can be returned through the same shared author search. Some level of pain to get the date entered for sure on the down side, a couple of clicks, and the issues with portable.

Showing my laziness I suppose. But beauty of it all is we have multiple options from which one can pick or modify to create one's own if you really want to.

• Level 5*

Yeah I got that, not the point of my workaround post though.... hence the workaround phrase....  pending a due date ever appearing....   ;)

Hey Cal, welcome to that wacky world where words that you thought had a pretty much unambiguous meaning suddenly have a new one, unencumbered by previous known usage. But be careful, because that field your workaround depends on might just be taken away at any time, even though it appears to be in active use in the current Evernote world. Oh, and you needn't bother buying sunscreen any more, because the sun may go supernova at any moment. Or the Rapture may come. Uh, or something...

Naw, I think it's pretty safe to say that the author field is going to stick around, and once set, it's probably not going to be touched by Evernote. Not a bad choice for a workaround.

Of course, it's a shame that you can't edit the subject date directly (at least on the Windows client; third-party applications can also modify that field). That's searchable using date expressions (subjectdate:<datetime>). As is reminder time (remindertime:<datetime>), though it suffers, again on the Windows client, from not being searchable using future datetime expressions (e.g. remindertime:month+1).  Alas, in this imperfect world, we can resort to workarounds.

• Level 5*

Jeff,

Definitely, particularly when it is a workaround I wouldn't use since reminders are fine for me. Just trying to provide an option to the OP within the confines, buyer beware at that.

There may be a solution to the date + 1 month, if I understand you. You may already know this, PhaseExpress has some date logic you can use to create dynamic hot key EN searches. For example I have Win-Alt-T as a hot key that returns today's reminders. FWIW.

• Level 5*

Definitely, particularly when it is a workaround I wouldn't use since reminders are fine for me. Just trying to provide an option to the OP within the confines, buyer beware at that.

There may be a solution to the date + 1 month, if I understand you. You may already know this, PhaseExpress has some date logic you can use to create dynamic hot key EN searches. For example I have Win-Alt-T as a hot key that returns today's reminders. FWIW.

I've used AutoHotkey in the past, and I'm sure that I could work up something, but hey, I just use Reminders, too!! They work great for me. 

Nitpicker's disclaimer: I understand that reminders don't work for everyone.

• Level 5*

Jeff,

Actually, the reminders seem to be something that Evernote has largely gotten right. They work on all platforms now (last I checked) and if they don't scratch your particular itch (me) then they are totally unobtrusive, and you never have to think about them again. I am happiest when I see changes that add something without subtracting something else -- or, in bad cases, there is just subtraction. Whether you use a feature or not, as you said, there are no guarantees.

• Level 5
I agree, the reminders can be totally invisible. They serve no function for me and so I never see them. I continue to use the modified Create Date for my due dates. But as I move away from Evernote, I find there are much better reminder / task management programs available.

Search Code 47ER92

I agree, the reminders can be totally invisible. They serve no function for me and so I never see them. I continue to use the modified Create Date for my due dates. But as I move away from Evernote, I find there are much better reminder / task management programs available.

Search Code 47ER92

There are most definitely better to-do apps - which is why my tasks had but a brief fling with Evernote once upon a time. Interestingly, for some, it takes a "growing apart" to discover better task management options that deserved an audience all along. 

Somewhat of a side note: If Reminders can be totally "invisible" to one (or "unobtrusive" as GM put it), can Work Chat not be relegated to the same inconspicuousness? At least on Windows desktop, the Work Chat icons can be hidden from the toolbar and Left Panel. Besides that, the Work Chat icon in the note header takes up just as much real estate as the Reminder icon. 

If we're talking about the Reminder icon on mobile devices, the Work Chat icon takes up less space than the Reminder shortcut which allows one to create a task on the home screen (iOS). Also, in any context whatsoever, the Work Chat icon takes up the equivalent elbow room, including within a note.

Makes me wonder why people are not up in arms about the equally conspicuous/ inconspicuous Reminder icons/ feature - especially if many have very limited use for it. I guess we've learned to filter it out. What's the difference with the Work Chat icons - if not to serve as a (painful) reminder of the direction many might not be wanting Evernote to go in?

It would seem that if you want to share notebooks (and maybe individual notes) in the new Evernote world, then that requires (or will require) Work Chat, right? 

You know your stuff!  :P

Which makes Work Chat useful to a point for some - just like Reminders - if not unavoidable.

The comparison I'm trying to make poses this: Work Chat icons take up just as much visual space as the Reminder icons. They're equally as conspicuous/ inconspicuous (take your pick) - yet many who do not use Reminders or use them in a limited way, might see Work Chat as an intrusion... or even a visual eyesore. I ask myself why. Just an interesting scenario in light of the just-as-much-present Reminder icons. This is not a case for being cool with the Work Chat icons. Just a thought. Especially since it has been mentioned here by a couple of users, that even though they barely use Reminders, if at all, they are really "invisible" or "unobtrusive" - which I agree with. 

I'm appreciating the ideas here. Adding a date somewhere in the title might work, but sometimes I need to be able to move due dates around. Instead of pulling up a calendar and assigning that note a date, I'd have to rename the note. And, using a calendar with day-of-week visible also helps me map out what I have coming up. It is a solution, but not one that would work for me.

I realize it might not be how everyone organizes their work, but at due date is something that I would find very useful. And even though I have tried to readjust how I file these things, that's the aspect that I keep coming back to. Since they already have a calendar functionality with reminders, I was hoping they might be able to add "due date" as well. 

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I share any frustration that requires an extra step when inserting an option to add reminder or due date at the time of saving isn't available. Specially for me, having that ability whne clipping anything, web browser extension or mobile app. How about read later with a date option? Or reminder as many have mentioned. Maybe someday the user experience testing will include these type of use cases.

Until then, AAARRGHHH!

Ok, so after further review if you use the Chrome web clipper extension and select the option to be shown the "successful clip dialog" then you can add a date or reminder AFTER you have clipped. How about making this available at the time of clipping. Same with the Android mobile app.

Thank you

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, rfprice said:

Ok, so after further review if you use the Chrome web clipper extension and select the option to be shown the "successful clip dialog" then you can add a date or reminder AFTER you have clipped. How about making this available at the time of clipping. Same with the Android mobile app.

You should probably make this a feature request in the Web Clipper Feedback Forum...

Archived