Tag handling in EN for Mac

Dezgo

Idea

I'm a massive evernote fan, and use it on my home Mac, an Android phone and my Windows PC at work. 

One thing I'd love is if tag handling could be improved in EN for Mac. If I want to move tags around in the hierarchy, or rename them, I have to go into the Tags view on the Mac and do it from there. It'd be great if I could drag and drop right from the tree hierarchy in the left-hand side bar just like in EN for Windows. And if I could right-click a tag and rename it from there too.

Apart from that minor annoyance, the app is amazing so keep up the good work!

PS. Love the new Web clipper too, much more robust than the previous version.

• Like 2

11 replies to this idea

I completely agree. The tags are right there in the sidebar. Why would I want to click into another screen, find the tag I'm already looking at in order to interact with it????

Evernote Mac team, please, please, please enhance the tags in the left menu to have the functionality that exists on Evernote Windows.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Neil Rutledge said:

Evernote Mac team, please, please, please enhance the tags in the left menu to have the functionality that exists on Evernote Windows.

I agree completely.  Every right-click context menu item available in the Tags view should also be available in the left Sidebar tag list.

In addition, they need to add "Move to Parent" as a menu item.  If you have hundreds of tags, drag/drop is a very poor way of doing this.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, amanda_h said:

I moved this to the Mac Product Feedback forum so this can be voted on.

Just in case it is not obvious to someone, to "vote" on this requested feature, go to the top of this thread/page, and click on the up arrow to vote "for", and the down arrow to vote "against".

EN-Forum-Voting.png

• Like 1

PLEASE fix this so that the right click menu on the left panel is the same when I right click on a tag between OSX and Windows. I heavily use nested tags a few layers deep based on the Michael Hyatt tagging method described here: https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-tags.html 

I spend 60% of my time in Windows and about 40% of my time on a mac. Often I have both machines open in front of me. Tag management is easy on Windows with the right click menu and drag/drop. It is painful on the Mac. I've attached a screenshot of the right click menu on both. 

At a minimum, Please fix it so that there is something other than "Delete Tag..." in the menu on the mac. I've accidentally deleted tags more than once by moving too fast...

Here is an example of the tag workflow on both platforms:

On Windows, I navigate to the nested tag I want to add to, right click, select "create tag in...", DONE. If I want to rearrange, it is a simple drag/drop. 

On Mac, I have to go to the tag screen, create a new tag, find the new tag in the list (since it was sorted alphabetically after creating), expand the nested tags to the location I want (which expand to the right instead of down (???), and then drag/drop it in. If I want to move one, I need to navigate the crazy right expanding tags, find the source and destination, and drag/drop.

Adding tags on the mac is a test of patience, and I will typically go to my Windows machine to make any tag changes. 

I also use the tag styles in Windows for my top level tags (Bold, colors, etc). That only appears on Windows, I would love it if that appeared on the Mac as well.  

I cant be the only one with this same frustration and request. Thank you for fixing this!

2017_07_17_12_57_46_All_Notebooks_ryan_ctho.com_Evernote.png

Screen Shot.png

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, cf77 said:

Adding tags on the mac is a test of patience...I navigate to the nested tag

My process is to simply add the new tag to a note and not worry about tag hierarchy
I'm working on both a Mac and iPad;
- I rarely use the Mac sidebar
- No tag hierarchy on the iPad

Periodically, I use my Mac to review my tags and organization 
New tags stand out because they aren't in any hierarchy
They could be a mistake to be fixed
They could be a valid new tag to be inserted into my tag hierarchy

I'm not having a problem using the Mac tag page for this organization review
however dragging the new tags can get tedious

I would love to be able to move tags in the left hand panel to other parent tags without specifically clicking the tag menu and moving out of the "main" menu. I don't understand why that's not a feature. It saves clicks and would save me time. Unless perhaps that would be something people would not want and cause confusion in case of accidental drag and drop. Maybe a quick pop up link in a corner of screen after dragging and dropping that says "made a mistake, click to undo" that disappears after 5 secs like in gmail mobile app when you swipe to archive/delete. just a thought. Let me know what you guys think!

• Like 1
On 7/18/2017 at 0:45 AM, DTLow said:

My process is to simply add the new tag to a note and not worry about tag hierarchy
I'm working on both a Mac and iPad;
- I rarely use the Mac sidebar
- No tag hierarchy on the iPad

Yea, unfortunately that doesnt work for me. I heavily use the side bar along with a fairly elaborate set of nested tags. Allows me to find stuff quickly, make new tags, move stuff around, etc. It works awesome on Windows. The sidebar was actually substantially improved last year for the Windows EN client, see this EN blog article: 

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2016/04/21/evernote-windows/

My complaints would be fixed if these same sidebar improvements were added to OSX that were released on EN for Windows back in April 2016.... As long as they update the right click menu! 

And to make sure I remember the tags and use the same to avoid duplication in the first place (misspellings) I'd like to have a

• drop-down list in the tag field and/or
  • the possibility to drag an existing tag from the list into the note...

Is that already possible?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Maximilian said:
  • drop-down list in the tag field and/or
  • the possibility to drag an existing tag from the list into the note...

There's a tag list in the sidebar1205327026_ScreenShot2020-07-07at4_22_19PM.png.ad6759bbc1a06f4c1d83c352bebbcba1.png
Dragging tags works

I can also start typing the tagname and a drop-down list appears
768483753_ScreenShot2020-07-07at4_26_06PM.png.f71ef22a849b15764143993636fe1845.png