• Level 5

As long as you have access to your PC and Router, you can change DNS, and can always change it back.

Since you mention you use a VPN (I am not aware you mentioned it before), this can well be at the root of your problems to connect. That it works when the VPN is enabled doesn't say it wouldn't mess up networking when it is disconnected.

To find out you should completely uninstall the VPN software from one of the computers where you use it. Then try again.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As long as you have access to your PC and Router, you can change DNS, and can always change it back.

Since you mention you use a VPN (I am not aware you mentioned it before), this can well be at the root of your problems to connect. That it works when the VPN is enabled doesn't say it wouldn't mess up networking when it is disconnected.

To find out you should completely uninstall the VPN software from one of the computers where you use it. Then try again.

I only installed vpn after the recent suggestion, and EN then ran with no problem.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Michael Vanyukov said:

@mackid1993Ill try my best, but i just winder why Evernote doesn’t care, so i have to waste days on solving an app-specific problem. It’s time to migrate, I guess, after 14 years of use.

It seems like an issue with your ISP. Not Evernote. The VPN proves that. 

• Level 5

As posted several times before, this doesn't look like an app related problem. It looks very much like a network induced problem.

The VPN test (which takes out the influence of the ISP) sort of confirms it.

Now the question is what the ISP does wrong to block EN. DNS looks for me like a promising approach. But there may be others, like the ISP blacklisting EN for some (mostly stupid) reason. Who knows ?

Just now, PinkElephant said:

As posted several times before, this doesn't look like an app related problem. It looks very much like a network induced problem.

Now the question is what the ISP does wrong to block EN. DNS looks for me like a promising approach. But there may be others, like the ISP blacklisting EN for some (mostly stupid) reason. Who knows ?

Comcast is one of the largest ISPs in the United States. They aren't blocking Evernote. I'm certain their DNS servers are trash and there's a propagation issue. 

• Like 1
Just now, PinkElephant said:

Shouldn’t i then call Comcast? And what do i tell them, that an app stopped working? Sorry for my ignorance.

Just now, Michael Vanyukov said:

Shouldn’t i then call Comcast? And what do i tell them, that an app stopped working? Sorry for my ignorance.

Just change your DNS servers. It's harmless and will probably speed up your browsing too. See if it fixes your problem. It takes 10 seconds to do. 

• Level 5

Maybe a word how DNS works: DNS is the phone book of the internet. You type Evernote.com, and DNS delivers 123.456.789.102 (or whatever). If this conversion is configured badly, the address can't be reached.

So a simple malconfigfuration or an old "phone book" after a server has been moved to a new address can take a single address offline, while others still work.

If you now set 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) instead of the ISPs DNS, you force the system to look up the server address on another phone book. You can always set it back (write down the initial setting before you change it). Good practice asks for at least 2 DNS resolvers, to have a backup if one should be down.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe a word how DNS works: DNS is the phone book of the internet. You type Evernote.com, and DNS delivers 123.456.789.102 (or whatever). If this conversion is configured badly, the address can't be reached.

So a simple malconfigfuration or an old "phone book" after a server has been moved to a new address can take a single address offline, while others still work.

If you now set 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) instead of the ISPs DNS, you force the system to look up the server address on another phone book. You can always set it back (write down the initial setting before you change it). Good practice asks for at least 2 DNS resolvers, to have a backup if one should be down.

I cringed at the 123.456 subnet lol but basically yes. If an Evernote IP address changes and Comcast's DNS still has the old address looking it up on a different server (a faster and better one for that matter) would help. 

Also since a domain has to resolve to an IP address for the page to load if the DNS lookup is slow browsing will be slower. 

16 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Just change your DNS servers. It's harmless and will probably speed up your browsing too. See if it fixes your problem. It takes 10 seconds to do. 

Easy for you to say. :) I have no idea how to get to the router and its DNS settings. The 1.1.1.1 instructions seem to be for wi-fi, but my desktop is on a wired connection. Any advice? 

• Level 5

You log into the Router surface. If your device has the address xxx.xxx.xxx.123 (123 being any number), your router should be xxx.xxx.xxx.1 . You type this into your browser.

You need a username and password to access the router software. If you don’t know it, it is often printed on the devices sticker.

Once you are in the software (it is a Webserver running on the router, so it behaves as a website) you find the DNS setting, and change it. Like 1.1.1.1 as primary and 8.8.8.8 as secondary. Save, exit, restart the router..

Usually the new setting should communicate itself in the whole local network. Give it some hours.

Then try again to connect to Evernote.com from a browser. Delete the cache before, the bad old DNS entry may still be there.

7 minutes ago, Michael Vanyukov said:

Easy for you to say. :) I have no idea how to get to the router and its DNS settings. The 1.1.1.1 instructions seem to be for wi-fi, but my desktop is on a wired connection. Any advice? 

I've got to the router settings, and it shows 

14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You log into the Router surface. If your device has the address xxx.xxx.xxx.123 (123 being any number), your router should be xxx.xxx.xxx.1 . You type this into your browser.

You need a username and password to access the router software. If you don’t know it, it is often printed on the devices sticker.

Once you are in the software (it is a Webserver running on the router, so it behaves as a website) you find the DNS setting, and change it. Like 1.1.1.1 as primary and 8.8.8.8 as secondary. Save, exit, restart the router..

Usually the new setting should communicate itself in the whole local network. Give it some hours.

Then try again to connect to Evernote.com from a browser. Delete the cache before, the bad old DNS entry may still be there.

I logged in, and it DNS are listed, but I don't seem to have access to changing them. Or I don't know how to get there.

image.thumb.png.6e94e9d5665e249ce15fd5c5bedaac15.png

3 hours ago, Michael Vanyukov said:

Našiel som toto: "Ak ide o vstupné zariadenie dodávané spoločnosťou Comcast, nemôžete zmeniť servery DNS. ““."

Do you use mobile data on your mobile?

And do you have Evernote on your laptop?

Then I would try to connect the laptop via shared WIFI from the mobile and see if you can get into your online evernote account.

At least you'll be sure you can access your data. And then take it up with your internet provider.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, Michael Vanyukov said:

I found this: "If it's a Comcast supplied gateway device, you can't change the DNS servers."

Usually it means if you put a router behind it, you can configure it as you want / need to. The ISP box then switches into a bridging mode.

But not sure about your specific ISP / legislation. 

You can continue to use the VPN permanently. Or open a ticket with Comcast support to correct their bad DNS listing of Evernote.com .

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Usually it means if you put a router behind it, you can configure it as you want / need to. The ISP box then switches into a bridging mode.

But not sure about your specific ISP / legislation. 

You can continue to use the VPN permanently. Or open a ticket with Comcast support to correct their bad DNS listing of Evernote.com .

Thank you very much. Is there a more technical term to talk with Comcast, or “bad DNS listing is commonly used”?

• Level 5

I would simply tell them that you can’t reach Evernote.com, that it works when you use a VPN and that a lot points into the DNS resolution of the address being the root cause.

They should know how to check then.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I would simply tell them that you can’t reach Evernote.com, that it works when you use a VPN and that a lot points into the DNS resolution of the address being the root cause.

They should know how to check then.

I’ll let you know the result.

43 minutes ago, ENnut said:

I did this and...

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 11.01.04 AM.png

Well it shows you are not the only one on Comcast having the issue! Maybe just change the DNS on your computer temporarily so you can keep the network speed and work on EN. At least you have a definitive answer, you don't always get that in IT. 😉

• Sad 1
On 3/21/2024 at 12:45 PM, Kheldar321 said:

Well it shows you are not the only one on Comcast having the issue! Maybe just change the DNS on your computer temporarily so you can keep the network speed and work on EN. At least you have a definitive answer, you don't always get that in IT. 😉

Changing DNS on the wired desktop to the https://one.one.one.one/dns/-recommended values does not resolve the EN problem. VPN does, but not on my work-provided laptop, where VPN interferes with GlobalConnect and crashes. I had a long and fruitless conversation with Comcast yesterday: after an hour of various tries, I was told that I'd be contacted with the solution in 2 hrs. Never was. Will try again. They could not change the DNS on their end either - I was told they have the same interface as I do.

On 3/23/2024 at 1:23 PM, Michael Vanyukov said:

Changing DNS on the wired desktop to the https://one.one.one.one/dns/-recommended values does not resolve the EN problem. VPN does, but not on my work-provided laptop, where VPN interferes with GlobalConnect and crashes. I had a long and fruitless conversation with Comcast yesterday: after an hour of various tries, I was told that I'd be contacted with the solution in 2 hrs. Never was. Will try again. They could not change the DNS on their end either - I was told they have the same interface as I do.

I did a bit more digging, and they are packet filtering not just DNS. This is why a VPN is working where a DNS change is not. That sucks, you are really kneecapped by the ISP. Wonder if you can get rid of the "Advanced" security. That "may" fix the issue.

Online security with xFi — FAQs - Xfinity Support

18 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

This is why you should never use an ISP supplied router. They are junk.

While I totally agree, not everyone has an IT nerd on speed dial 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, Kheldar321 said:

While I totally agree, not everyone has an IT nerd on speed dial 😉

Setting up a SoHo Router is not magic. Sorting out the mess created by incompetent ISP settings is far worse, as this thread proves.

Usually the problem can be solved by switching the ISP router to „bridge“ mode. This makes it function like a modem, just converting the data without active functionality. Then add a router of your choice behind it. Often even a used unit will do a better job than the junk the ISPs provide „for Free“.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Setting up a SoHo Router is not magic. Sorting out the mess created by incompetent ISP settings is far worse, as this thread proves.

Usually the problem can be solved by switching the ISP router to „bridge“ mode. This makes it function like a modem, just converting the data without active functionality. Then add a router of your choice behind it. Often even a used unit will do a better job than the junk the ISPs provide „for Free“.

Oh I’m very aware how to do it, what bridge mode is, and networking in general. I also agree that most off the shelf routers are better than the isp stuff.

Most techs like to think it’s simple and forget the regular person is not always comfortable with technology. What’s easy for you is not always the same for others.

28 minutes ago, Kheldar321 said:

Oh I’m very aware how to do it, what bridge mode is, and networking in general. I also agree that most off the shelf routers are better than the isp stuff.

Most techs like to think it’s simple and forget the regular person is not always comfortable with technology. What’s easy for you is not always the same for others.

I definitely am not comfortable. I’ll try to get to the ISP tomorrow again. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try to take that “bridge”, but i am out of my element there. Know nothing about any of that.

4 minutes ago, Michael Vanyukov said:

I definitely am not comfortable. I’ll try to get to the ISP tomorrow again. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try to take that “bridge”, but i am out of my element there. Know nothing about any of that.

With the bridge option you will need to purchase a router and reconfigure your current ISP modem. You may also have to configure WiFi on the new device.

It may be worth it to check your circle of friends and see if someone knows a tech that would be willing to help. 

17 hours ago, Kheldar321 said:

With the bridge option you will need to purchase a router and reconfigure your current ISP modem. You may also have to configure WiFi on the new device.

It may be worth it to check your circle of friends and see if someone knows a tech that would be willing to help. 

Xfinity recommended buying my own router and use bridge, whatever it might be (they are supposed to help with that). Their recommended ones are Arris G36 or Netgear CAX80.

• Level 5

„Bridge“ is just another state of operation for your current ISP provided router.

It means the router will in the future only convert the signal on the carrier (fiber, TV cable, DSL landline, just to name a few) into a regular Ethernet signal. It will stop providing other services. (The routers you mention are cache routers - meaning they replace the existing one and have the conversion kit internally).

For the router I think you should look around a bit. We all rely a lot on good WiFi connections. There are now mesh WiFi setups that will make devices always connect to the best access point. If your place is above say 50-70 square meters, a mesh will improve WiFi connectivity.

But this only works within the same brand. You can’t easily mix different makers into a homogeneous mesh setup. So maybe check in reports on the web which is a good mesh networking brand, and choose a router from their range.

2 hours ago, Michael Vanyukov said:

Xfinity recommended buying my own router and use bridge, whatever it might be (they are supposed to help with that). Their recommended ones are Arris G36 or Netgear CAX80.

Ouch, without getting too “techie”, those seem to be odd choices with what they want you to do. I did some more digging and it looks like you can turn off advanced security, which “should” fix the blocking issue.

Below is an article on the xfinity site which tells you how to disable the advanced security. I figure it’s worth a shot before dropping extra money. I also read that support can disable it for you.

For what the advanced security does, I personally don’t find it that exciting and just adds extra cost to your bill. Now that’s my opinion, take it as you may.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

I hope this helps! I know it’s frustrating but I feel getting around this now will help overall in the future. 

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

„Bridge“ is just another state of operation for your current ISP provided router.

It means the router will in the future only convert the signal on the carrier (fiber, TV cable, DSL landline, just to name a few) into a regular Ethernet signal. It will stop providing other services. (The routers you mention are cache routers - meaning they replace the existing one and have the conversion kit internally).

For the router I think you should look around a bit. We all rely a lot on good WiFi connections. There are now mesh WiFi setups that will make devices always connect to the best access point. If your place is above say 50-70 square meters, a mesh will improve WiFi connectivity.

But this only works within the same brand. You can’t easily mix different makers into a homogeneous mesh setup. So maybe check in reports on the web which is a good mesh networking brand, and choose a router from their range.

Thank you for the detailed explanations. I run a mesh, Deco. No problems with WiFi. There have not been any with anything before 1.5 weeks ago, when it started with Evernote. Now, I am concerned if there will be problems with WiFi as well if I change the router.

1 hour ago, Kheldar321 said:

Ouch, without getting too “techie”, those seem to be odd choices with what they want you to do. I did some more digging and it looks like you can turn off advanced security, which “should” fix the blocking issue.

Below is an article on the xfinity site which tells you how to disable the advanced security. I figure it’s worth a shot before dropping extra money. I also read that support can disable it for you.

For what the advanced security does, I personally don’t find it that exciting and just adds extra cost to your bill. Now that’s my opinion, take it as you may.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

I hope this helps! I know it’s frustrating but I feel getting around this now will help overall in the future. 

Advanced security is not enabled.

• Level 5

Just FYI: I had problems today connecting to "Evernote.com".

Since I run some IT infrastructure, I knew where to look: I have a Pi-Hole on my network, shielding it from advertising and tracking. Somebody had added "Evernote.com" to one of the blocklists that control the filtering (in total it filters 1.85 million sites), the list had downloaded, and now it blocked EN. I whitelisted the URL with a click, and could connect.

It is possible your ISP is running a similar filtering, just on a larger extend (I am pretty sure he does, but not to keep ads and tracking away from his clients networks). If Evernote.com get's added there, it will prevent connections. But the customers can't easily whitelist it. That's more or less what I think is happening to you.

17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Since I run some IT infrastructure, I knew where to look: I have a Pi-Hole on my network, shielding it from advertising and tracking. Somebody had added "Evernote.com" to one of the blocklists that control the filtering (in total it filters 1.85 million sites), the list had downloaded, and now it blocked EN. I whitelisted the URL with a click, and could connect.

It is possible your ISP is running a similar filtering, just on a larger extend (I am pretty sure he does, but not to keep ads and tracking away from his clients networks). If Evernote.com get's added there, it will prevent connections. But the customers can't easily whitelist it. That's more or less what I think is happening to you.

Would you know how to approach them to delist Evernote from any such filtering?

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@PinkElephantI just find it strange that Evernote is the only site/app that is affected with any DNS glitches. I am still not sure it's not Evernote itself that limited access from Pittsburgh PA, for whatever reason: nothing else has changed and it had worked with no problem until 1.5 weeks ago.

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Same answer as above: Tried an alternative network, by a different provider ?

Working ? Provider issue. It’s that simple.

Right. Switching to the cellular connection from a different provider fixes the problem, so, as you say, it’s the provider. Who is telling me to buy equipment to enable the use of a single app instead of fixing his own blocklist.

The point is this is an issue with your ISP, going through Evernote support or Evernote forums won't help you more than the advice we've already given.

The solution would be to work with your ISP on a resolution. This is an issue with their network.

• Like 1
Just now, mackid1993 said:

The point is this is an issue with your ISP, going through Evernote support or Evernote forums won't help you more than the advice we've already given.

The solution would be to work with your ISP on a resolution. This is an issue with their network.

Got it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Not likely looking at the thread. Outages are rare with EN servers (there was one last year when a major server change was done).

It is usually a network issue, either locally (firewall, managed corporate networks) or from the ISP (DNS resolving glitch). Checking what is going on should always check different networking options first. In some cases they can’t be resolved - especially enterprises get tougher on security, locking up the corporate networks. Leaving them open can come very costly these days …

• Like 1

Since I last posted, everything went back to norm without any response from Evernote or notification from Comcast (Xfinity), my provider. It was clearly the latter's blocking evernote.com, and I submitted a request online to unblock and called them more than once. Finally, it's my calls and their "escalating" the problem to their level 2 support that did the trick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 3/17/2024 at 4:40 PM, Michael Vanyukov said:

When trying to close one of the five Evernote processes running on the desktop (the app itself is closed):

image.png.03cd581e77cd65f31e842782dfe66d8e.png

I am getting this problem also but only on one of my devices. It was the one where I kept legacy and I wonder if that was the issue. I completely uninstalled and re-installed evernote but the problem keeps occuring. All my other devices though are fine

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Did you use Revo Uninstaller to remove both installs ? If not, install both again (to create the install that can be removed), then uninstall using Revo.

Yes I did. Will try again next week. See whether it works 

Alessandra