Annoying 'hover' popups, sluggish UI

Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

I think this started with the most recent release, as I never saw it before. While mousing over various things in evernote, I keep getting these 'dialogue-ish' popups showing the full name of anything that is partially obscured, as in a notebook or note title that is longer than the viewable area. They happen frequently, and they are dog-slow to arise, which is annoying to no end. I've been unable to find any way to turn off this new "feature".  Image attached.

Why do they keep making useless UI changes (like the recent change of the options for merging where instead of a checkmark next to the selected choices, it's simply a different color...why????) rather than improving the core performance of the app? Evernote's responsiveness continues to get worse and worse, scrolling is laggy, refresh is laggy.

And no, it's not my PC. I think with a Ryzen 9 5950X at 5GHz, 64G of ram, and a 990 Pro M2 SSD, I've pretty well eliminated the system as a failure point - particularly when there's none of this lagginess in any other apps open simultaneously.

After-coffee-rant.

2024-03-06 18_52_48-anastrophe servers_routers_pc's_raspberry pi's_etc - Evernote.png

• Like 4
  • Solution

Not that it changes anything, but it seems it's been this way since the beginning of v10. From 3 years ago:

Also - some discussion on it here:

Be sure to like and subscribe to my "Saturday tool tip" comment in that thread! 🤣

• Level 5

Actually seeing the full title can be useful. Narrow title column, many notes starting with the same title, and the difference is hidden at the end. In my case many invoices and bank account reports are like it.

The full title popup makes it easy to find the right monthly receipt, for example.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Not that it changes anything, but it seems it's been this way since the beginning of v10. From 3 years ago:

lso - some discussion on it here:

Be sure to like and subscribe to my "Saturday tool tip" comment in that thread! 🤣

Yes, it's been bugging me ever since I switched to v10 a couple months ago. Slowing down the app itself wasn't enough, apparently, so they added this time consuming annoyance. Just another small bump in the path that used to be smooth in Legacy. Unfortunately, those bumps are just getting bigger and more annoying, imho.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

Meanwhile I've just been re-reminded that there's no Outlook clipper in V10 and no right click screenshot functionality. Basic and essential parts of the Legacy workflow, plain removed. Massive retrogressive step. The former in particular was the core part of my use of Evernote (yes I know you can forward emails but it's not the same thing in any way, shape or form. I'm talking about the bulk import of hundreds of emails at a time for accounting purposes, etc).

Partly OT I suppose but hey, it's about more frustration with this previously great software. Before, it just got out of the way; now it's always in the way.

They just fixed the Outlook add-in, if that's what you're referring to. I can't believe it, but they did.

Just now, ben353253 said:

Interesting. Do you mean the normal Windows Office Outlook plugin? Or the Office 365 plugin? I'm referring to the former - ie standalone client. Can you confirm? Thanks. 

I'm on the MacOS Outlook client for MS365, so maybe they are two different things...? All i know is it stopped working some time over the weekend, and they fixed it before the week ended. Fairly flabbergasting, given the general response time of support nowadays (i.e. none at all).

1 minute ago, ben353253 said:

Yep two different things sadly. I've not seen it on the standalone client on Windows with V10. Ridiculous to remove such core functionality. 

But they built it again from the ground up, and now it's so much better! Haven't you been following the fanboys?

Seriously, why they would choose to leave out features from Legacy (which many of us obviously used constantly) in the new version is beyond my ability to comprehend. 

On MacOS, the note merge feature is better in v10. That's the only positive thing I can say about it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, ben353253 said:

no right click screenshot functionality

really hesitate to ask this, but I actually do want to help. Can you say (or at least remind me) what you mean by this. Is this right click to take a screenshot or right click during the screenshot process?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Ctrl+Alt+S. In Windows 10 this brings up the crosshairs, and when you have marked your screen clip it is immediately saved as a new note in Evernote (with a popup to let you click and go to the note if you wish). As I understand it, Windows 11 grabbed this shortcut, and the whole functionality, hence the need to do a Windows screen clip and save it to an import folder that some people have mentioned. Evernote can't control what Microsoft does, and AFAIK no better workaround has been established.

7 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

Sure. Legacy et al let you right click the main taskbar icon or notification icon, or use a shortcut, and quickly clip a screenshot which would be inserted into a note. Crosshairs to quickly clip what you want. Boom, click it's in your note. This functionality is missing in V 10.

I must admit that I absolutely love having this functionality in OneNote and use it all the time. Would be great if EN had it, too.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually seeing the full title can be useful. Narrow title column, many notes starting with the same title, and the difference is hidden at the end. In my case many invoices and bank account reports are like it.

The full title popup makes it easy to find the right monthly receipt, for example.

I'm glad it works for you. When I need to see many note titles that are wider than the column...I drag the column wider.

At minimum, they should offer the ability to turn off this 'feature'. I don't doubt that it offers a facility that's useful for some people. Is there a thread here from long ago with people pleading for popups like these?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually the change with the failed screen clips came when users updated to Windows 11, independent from the version they were running. On the Mac it is working independently from the MacOS version - you just need to be sure the app is authorized for screen recordings in the security settings.

My conclusion is that in fact Microsoft did something in Windows 11 that does not allow the screen to be grabbed as before. If it was intentional or a collateral impact is up to everyone’s guessing.

• Level 5

I couldn’t care less personally - I am running Apple only, best decision to skip Windows (oh, I stand corrected, I actually have Windows, in a VM on my older Mac. I always notice I am using it when the fans start blowing.).

Maybe one of the fellow users who are on Windows and use EN v10 every day can help you to gain some insight.

• Level 5
On 3/8/2024 at 2:23 PM, ben353253 said:

Evernote already did it natively in the app, without needing to control what MS does. But actually I believe the point is Evernote is hamstrung by its development framework and is no longer is able to have hooks into the OS to do something as basic as screenshots. Legacy and its built-in screenshot functionality works fine in Windows 7, 10 and 11. This is on Evernote not Microsoft. They've taken something away because they're coding in a lazy manner. 

I am telling you that on Windows 10 Evernote takes screenshots and creates notes from them, using Ctrl+Alt+S. On Windows 11 this doesn't work, because of something Microsoft did. Believe me or don't, I don't care. And I fully and formally give up trying to have any positive engagement with you. Congratulations. You are the second user on these forums (which have some pretty heavy Legacy fanboys) whom I have ever turned on the Ignore setting for.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Your answers get boring - you repeat yourself.

It is as it is, and the problem was caused by the OS developer. Maybe you have heard something about the fact that an OS can control any function of an app, but the app can’t control functions the OS reserves for itself.

The app provides for screen clipping in Win10 (and on all MacOS versions) - the ball is with Microsoft who broke it for Win11.

9 horas atrás, ben353253 disse:

. Moreover, again as I say above, with Windows 11 having been out for around 3 years, if Microsoft broke the functionality three years ago Evernote have had ample opportunity to fix it. 

Since purchasing Evernote, Bending has been focusing on improving the base and structure of the application (synchronization, speed, back-end, etc.) and so they left aside the implementation of new, even basic, functionalities for a while. They said that in this and this article. I imagine this explains why the screenshot problems (and many others) haven't been fixed in these three years. I realize that the phase of focusing on the code they said has already been mostly resolved and now they are going to start implementing really new things. We are already seeing this with, for example, the new slash command.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If this was an attempt of being funny, could you please return to be grumpy again ? Suits you better.

The very simple solution to screen clipping has been posted several times: Use another screen clipper, copy, paste, done.

But I am sure you will insist, because that seems to be your nature.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

OK, you followed my first advise: Back to grumpy, check.

Now you need to add something constructive to the forum, just a tiny little gem ?

It‘s a challenge, I know, but maybe you make it if you really try.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

OK, you stick to grumpy. But constructive contribution ?

You are just posting gallic comments here, usually fantasizing about EN staff being not interested in improving the app.

Evidence is against your malicious theory, and I can't see you posting anything constructive. Maybe you mean "destructive", there you qualify with excellence.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

The best way to get rid of hoover-popups would be to instead have the UI adjust to fit the lenght of names in most cases, so that the full names can be displayed at once. After recently moving from Legacy to v10, I now have to constantly live in this mouse over-popup land to be able to see my metadata.. :(

Metadata1.png

• Like 1