Synchronization failed Error 'Evernote client version not supported."

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

Hello All,

I am getting sync failed error. Saying client version is not supported. However when I try to upgrade I get another message saying unable to download the upgrade. Both error screen shots attached.

I have attached my version. My computer is running Windows 7 Professional SP1

Ever note Error 2.PNG

Ever Note Erro1.PNG

Evernote 3.PNG

• Level 5

The syncing of the legacy versions is phased out. Your version 4 is far outdated. All versions below EN v10 are officially deprecated since 2020.

In this case the second problem is that the new v10 software requires Windows 10.

You can decide to update your Windows 7 to Windows 10. Usually a PC able to run the one can run the other. Windows 7 is unsupported and unsafe to use on any PC connected to the Internet.

Else you can only use the EN web client.

Hi, Thanks for this information. I was afraid of unsupported version. What got me confused is the Error message. It says please try again later. They could have done better job by stating your host OS is not supported anymore.

In any case, I have another PC which has Win 10. If I move to that, do I need to move the local DB from my WIN 7 PC to the other one? i.e. what is the process of me using a new PC with WIN 10 and EV.

• Level 5

Can’t tell you. I don’t know about the data structure of the old clients.

If you can manage to export your local notebooks to ENEX (1 per notebook, not all in one), you can install v10 and simply import them into the new install.

They will then sync with the server. v10 doesn’t support local notebooks any longer.

• Level 5
  • Solution
9 hours ago, qin107 said:

In any case, I have another PC which has Win 10. If I move to that, do I need to move the local DB from my WIN 7 PC to the other one? i.e. what is the process of me using a new PC with WIN 10 and EV.

No, when you install Evernote on the Win 10 computer, it will automatically download your notes from the Evernote servers (which hold the master copies) and recreate the database. If you are using any local (unsynced) notebooks in the Legacy version on the Win 7 machine, then, as @PinkElephant says, you should export these and copy the export to the Win 10 computer, where they can be imported into the Evernote DB--but at that point they will be regular, synced notebooks, since v. 10 of Evernote does not support local (unsynced) notebooks.

• Level 5

Can someone tell me the proper way to upgrade to the newest WIN 10 version of EN?

I am using an old Legacy version. I tried to simply "upgrade" from the menu of the Legacy version, I am still using but it failed.

Should I uninstall EN first  and THEN go to the EN website and download the newest version?

My final goal is   simple: 

1. Side panel on the left with all my notebooks and tags

2. In the middle of the screen (and all the way to the right) a listing of the titles of the notes

Thanks.

Wern

• Level 5

Leave the installed legacy client installed.

Do you use any local (unsynced) notebooks ? Then you should export them to ENEX files.

Now download and install the new client from the EN website. Usually it will detect the legacy install and ask to update it.

After installing open and log in. It will make an initial download. You can already start working, but there will be small delays. First because it need to load data from the servers, second because it needs to convert notes to the new data format on opening them.

Let the client run in the background. It will download your notes to the new local database. This can take some time - in my case several days on a fast internet connection.

The view will look less cramped than legacy. But the basic layout is as you are used to, or can be configured to look alike.

New is the Tasks tab in the sidebar, and the new Home dashboard that subscribers can configure to make it their daily driver.

• Level 5

Pink,

thanks for your hints. I did what you suggested. It looks like it is working.

Thank you.

Apparently one cannot print a note while in it. One can only print after clicking on the NOTE TITLE  in the note list. Or is there a trick for printing?

Also: As far as I can see, all my notes are there, right after installing the new WIN client.

EN just asked for my email and Pawwort und Voila: All notes are there. No syncing was necessary.

I looked for the SYNC BOTTON and could not find it. Apparently there is none anymore.

• Evernote Expert
12 minutes ago, Wern said:

I looked for the SYNC BOTTON and could not find it. Apparently there is none anymore

Correct. Sync is instantaneous and continuous with the latest versions of the software.

• Like 1

And I think you are seeing the metadata for your notes which is downloaded quickly, but not necessarily the notes themselves.  As @PinkElephant mentioned, you're likely to see lags with some notes when you click to open them.  This has resulted in a fair bit of moaning about slowness from some users, but after the note content has a chance to download, and after you've opened your legacy note once so the data conversion is done, then you will see more typical day-to-day performance, which is more than fine for me.  Others still lament the loss of speed in some functions between the new and old platforms.

Vinnie

18 minutes ago, VincentC said:

...a fair bit of moaning about slowness from some users...more typical day-to-day performance, which is more than fine for me.  Others still lament the loss of speed ...Vinnie

Hi Vinnie! Great to read you're workflow is more than fine in Evernote v10. I'm very happy about that and for you.

I'm sorry that my wining and moaning every now and then with factual descriptions of when and how exactly, seems to bother you. Thx for your suggestion of waiting for everything to download. I have. For 1+ year. Many reinstalls. That's not the issue. Thx for thinking along. I am VERY open to more suggestions.

I'll try however to make it less winy and more factual for you. My workflow/speed is severely handicaped for 1+ year now for me, though improving year to year in bits and pieces. I'm not a "typical day-to-day user", that's why I pay top money for this important product.

I'll try to get my emotions of disappointment on my most important productivity tool under control, to try to accommodate you. It is difficult however, because I work about 5 hours per day in Evernote during a single day, if not more. The transfer from v6 and v10 is costing me literally an hour a day. I cannot work as a ninja anymore. No other tool offers -yet- the functionality of Evernote. So I hope they'll work on speed even more. 🙌👊👍  

Hi @MvdH,

Thank you for the very nice note!  And I apologize for a couple of things. 

• I didn't mean to use "moan" in any pejorative or dismissive sense.  I completely understand - there are a number of very advanced users like yourself who have made extensive use of all of the efficiencies of legacy Evernote, many of which are no longer available in v10.  I was using "moan" in its literal sense - a long, audible response to a continuing condition of discomfort.  That describes what you and other similar users have been experiencing, no?   
  • Also, I apologize that you took my comment personally.  I think there is a pretty large group of folks here that, like you, are very advanced, intense users of Evernote. I totally understand that your workflows are not supported as well in V10 as they were in legacy.  I was thinking of the larger group and not you specifically when I mentioned moaning.  

So, I apologies if my comment made you feel singled out or if I otherwise caused you to feel uncomfortable. 

Clearly, you are much more expert in Evernote than I will ever be.  I wouldn't presume to make suggestions to you about what you should do differently.  I was hoping that my specific comment about waiting for the download to complete might be helpful to Wern, who apparently had the understandable impression that, since his note titles had downloaded, all of his content had downloaded as well.  But I think we know from the experiences of others that this is not necessarily the case.  I know that you are aware of this and wouldn't have presumed to give you this same advice.  On the contrary, I'm the one who learns from your posts and I expect that I will learn more in the future - thank you. 

I have made a few comments that you may have seen in other places about my satisfaction with V10's speed that you may have seen.  When I have done that, it has not been to discount your experience to the contrary, or that of other users like you.    

Many of the folks who post frequently here refer to the professional-level expertise they have in coding, IT, or similar highly technical fields.  They are highly qualified, advanced users.  That's not me.  Evernote is a critical part of my daily professional and personal life as are other software tools, but I don't have that level technical experience.  I am not someone who would make frequent use of Boolean search in Evernote, Excel Pivot Tables, macros, or similar tools.   I get that  these tools are jall very helpful to many people, but for me the learning curve is not worth the payoff for me in productivity.  As a user who works with the top level surface of Evernote, mostly menu options, shortcut keys, the clipper, import folders, a few templates I have built, and the occasional foray into more complicated search, and who doesn't use tags much, V10 is, in fact, terrific for me. 

I fear that other users who come here for advice with a background and use cases more like mine, might be frightened away by reports of issues with speed by folks who use Evernote very differently.  When I have commented about speed in this thread or others, my intention is to offer the perspective of a non-technical user who is happy and satisfied with Evernote's performance.  I don't mean to discount or make light of the problems that other, different kinds of users, might have.  I simply intend to offer reassurance that, for many purposes, using Evernote v10 can be a perfectly fine experience.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  I hope Evernote improves in a way that is helpful to you, and I look forward reading your comments in the future!

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Vincent,

thanks for your thoughtful post.

Yes, indeed there are many - probably most - users who are NOT programmers, engineers, math wizzards or otherwise technically gifted or users of complicated search strategies etc.

I have been a EN user since 2010.

For me it is the workhorse for getting things done. I make quick notes in EN in a matter of seconds, retrieve notes the same way and that is 90% of the work. Occasionally a tag and that's it. Clean and simple interface, no bells and whistles. Legacy was great for this.

I think EN should pay more attention to users like you and me and forget about the bells and whistles that they seem to prioritize.

• Like 1

@VincentC Very friendly. 😘🙏🤗❤ Thx! I agree fully with you that these worlds co-exist, nicely described. Thx.  I like also it how you and me found and undestood each other. I have seen many different examples in these forums and in the world. 😉

@Wern I agree the base level over Evernote is not en par. Apparantly they choose a different balance between "new stuff", "handsomeness" and "usability" than I would and probably you would. 🙂  It's there perogative, and our freedom to make ourselves heard, as we do. 🙌👊👍

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Now that they have been (or still are?) tackling the backend technical debt and have added a fresh coat of paint, my hope is that they will now address some long overdue feature requests and streamline usability.  They still have a lot of work to do, IMO, to justify their new premium price.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @Dave-in-Decatur I was able to download an EV copy on my other WIN 10 Laptop and able to use it. Though the new look and feel leaves much to be desired.. For moving the notes, I had logged into the WIN 7 desktop and Web at the same time and just manually moved a few notes that were not synced. So now I am all synced up...

Only problem is on the new WIN 10 when I try to create a new note it says reached Limit, so it now requires me to upgrade to Premium. I only use EN for text notes not a lot of image storage or collaboration work etc.. so will be looking for an alternative..

• Level 5
4 minutes ago, qin107 said:

Hi @Dave-in-Decatur I was able to download an EV copy on my other WIN 10 Laptop and able to use it. Though the new look and feel leaves much to be desired.. For moving the notes, I had logged into the WIN 7 desktop and Web at the same time and just manually moved a few notes that were not synced. So now I am all synced up...

Only problem is on the new WIN 10 when I try to create a new note it says reached Limit, so it now requires me to upgrade to Premium. I only use EN for text notes not a lot of image storage or collaboration work etc.. so will be looking for an alternative..

Glad you were able to get things synced up. Yes, with a free account you are limited to 50 notes (including notes in trash) and one notebook, though you can still access and edit existing notes (full information here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/23565231682323-Note-and-notebook-limits-in-Evernote-Free-December-2023). There are several discussions in the forums about a variety of other note-taking apps. Good luck!