Evernote Owner Bending Spoons Buys Meetup.com

Oft another update from Jon on Reddit - Mosiac for 100 million!  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-10/iac-divests-mosaic-apps-to-bending-spoons-in-deal-valued-at-100-million-plus?leadSource=uverify wall

At least this time they are telling the staff upfront they are sacked…i guess…. Acquisitions are ruthless. 

So much for the failing company with over priced subscription apps no one pays for….

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The alternative to acquisitions is in many cases decline and bankruptcy. True for companies that in 15 years burn investors money, and fail to became profitable (anybody said Evernote now …). Been taken over is probably the better outcome.

• Like 1

Good news or bad news? 🤔 Are these new purchases taking resources and focus away from Evernote? 😟 However, on the longer term there sure are lot of very interesting possibilities for Evernotes future development with Meetup and apps from Mosaic Group: calendar/teams/sharing, pdf editor, scanner, recorder, journaling... 🤓

• Like 2
3 hours ago, janndk said:

Good news or bad news? 🤔 Are these new purchases taking resources and focus away from Evernote? 😟 However, on the longer term there sure are lot of very interesting possibilities for Evernotes future development with Meetup and apps from Mosaic Group: calendar/teams/sharing, pdf editor, scanner, recorder, journaling... 🤓

Evernote seems to have its own team now, not sure how big it is, hopefully they are not impacted by any of this, if they can afford 100 million to buy it surely they can staff it (hopefully!). 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I've never seen a company make so many acquisitions in such a short period of time of so many and different apps that had any level of focus and ability to handle/manage them, let alone scale them all at once. These are serious red flags to me. Time to find an alternative to Robo Killer I guess too before that subscription goes up 2x in a year. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN did not acquire any company in the last years - wave red flag !

EN was acquired by another company - wave red flag !

The company that bought EN still has some cash in the bank, and spends it on more companies - wave red flag !

Do you want to comment on anything here, or look for an excuse to celebrate a permanent red flag parade ? Could it be you are a commie in disguise 😱, looking for opportunities to wave red flags ? Will be continued ...

Alternative explanation: They are just good in taking over failing franchises, and turning them around. OK, no red flag on this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Bending Spoons do seem to be on a roll,  and they're buying into services that seem related to their own (and Evernote's) expertise. 

They do seem to be in process of taking over the note-taking world.  They're a big company - selected by their own country to run the national Covid scheme - recruiting new staff to fulfil their (apparently) big ambitions.  I'll be interested to see how this all plays out...

• Like 1