Any plans to rectify Evernote's Godawful UI?

I've comeback to Evernote out of morbid curiosity, and it's staggering how far backwards it's gone.

What is going on with the left-hand UI? Ignoring the fact that it only shows a certain number of tags on the desktop in the sidebar (no scroll bar), the font sizes are literally different between notes and tags, as is the line spacing.

I've really struggled finding a single font, a SINGLE font, that looks comfortable to read in the entire app. I think I will live with Sans Serif 18, at a stretch.

Everything looks awful on a MacBook with high-resolution. Doesn't seem to scale properly so have to blow it up with control +.

'Tidy up with AI' appears to do nothing useful.

Why is it that small teams of 1-3 people can develop fantastic apps these days (e.g. Capacities, Superwhisper, Obsidian) and yet Evernote has a whole team that seemingly struggles to get the basics right?

Yet still I return. I've dipped in and out of Evernote since 2010. I've been here what feels like forever. I clip a LOT of stuff still. And nothing else still does it as well. Which is quite tragic in itself. I use Heptabase and other apps to actually make sense of the information. But Evernote is still the best and most familiar when it comes to getting it into a central repository.

Just hope its new acquirer can fix some of the damage I assume was done by its US inventor.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, KanePro said:

Just hope its new acquirer can fix some of the damage I assume was done by its US inventor.

Hi.  And congratulations,  a new UI is being released shortly.

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

This might be interesting. However I'm afraid of radical updates, especially the interface. There is a high risk of making it worse than it is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
52 minutes ago, KanePro said:

Ignoring the fact that it only shows a certain number of tags on the desktop in the sidebar (no scroll bar), the font sizes are literally different between notes and tags, as is the line spacing.

That sounds like a bug in a previous version that has now been solved. Current desktop version is 10.70.2 (although there was an issue with the download version being earlier than that and I don't know if it has been solved)

35 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The best thing I've read all year! Might only be the 9th, but still...

25 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That sounds like a bug in a previous version that has now been solved. Current desktop version is 10.70.2 (although there was an issue with the download version being earlier than that and I don't know if it has been solved)

Looks like it's working this morning whereas it wasn't last night - how odd. Still, it's now scrolling. 👍

5 hours ago, KanePro said:

the font sizes are literally different between notes and tags, as is the line spacing.

I noticed that too. It used to be consistent but seems to have worsened within the last month or so.

Also see https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/147761-side-bar-text-lighter-weightfont-than-before-at-least-in-10617 for a couple of minor issues that I thought made the UI worse in my opinion.

Hopefully these relatively new minor worsening UI things are just a minor step back until the forth-coming UI refresh this month. I guess we'll see.

• Sad 1

This Add Filters dialog used to be spaced proportionally better too (as of just a week or so ago) and have some padding on the margins and the "Located in" didn't use to wrap like that.

image.png.1d1b872439596621d9ea2a8af05256d6.png

That image is from 10.70.2 on Mac.

I'm wondering if some of the styling they are tweaking for the upcoming refresh has somehow bled into these latest few releases that doesn't have the full structure support for it and is making things "wonky". 

So I'm looking forward to this UI refresh to hopefully see some improvements all around. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, KanePro said:

What is going on with the left-hand UI? Ignoring the fact that it only shows a certain number of tags on the desktop in the sidebar (no scroll bar), the font sizes are literally different between notes and tags, as is the line spacing.

5 hours ago, Mike P said:

4 hours ago, KanePro said:

Looks like it's working this morning whereas it wasn't last night - how odd. Still, it's now scrolling. 👍

Glad it's working, and that you're no longer "Speechless" as you were when I flagged up (in another thread) the very bug discussion that @Mike P refers to. Here's the blog post discussing Evernote's current development priorities, including a "Stunning new user interface," a prospect that leave me a little speechless: https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap.

2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Glad it's working, and that you're no longer "Speechless" as you were when I flagged up (in another thread) the very bug discussion that @Mike P refers to. Here's the blog post discussing Evernote's current development priorities, including a "Stunning new user interface," a prospect that leave me a little speechless: https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap.

I'll reserve judgement until the new UI is rolled out 😂 yesterday's impressions were not good, but as I've just shelled out for Premium I'll give it benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, KanePro said:

I'll reserve judgement until the new UI is rolled out 😂 yesterday's impressions were not good, but as I've just shelled out for Premium I'll give it benefit of the doubt.

Yep. I don't scrutinize the UI with the intensity of you and @Boot17, but any time someone promises to stun me, I don't get my hopes up. I do get my helmet out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 1/9/2024 at 4:52 PM, Boot17 said:

This Add Filters dialog used to be spaced proportionally better too (as of just a week or so ago) and have some padding on the margins and the "Located in" didn't use to wrap like that.

image.png.1d1b872439596621d9ea2a8af05256d6.png

That image is from 10.70.2 on Mac.

I'm wondering if some of the styling they are tweaking for the upcoming refresh has somehow bled into these latest few releases that doesn't have the full structure support for it and is making things "wonky". 

So I'm looking forward to this UI refresh to hopefully see some improvements all around. 

image.png.d85de1d107724bffe1db8bfa74be31f1.png

EN 10.70.2 Windows (Danish)

6 minutes ago, janndk said:

image.png.d85de1d107724bffe1db8bfa74be31f1.png

EN 10.70.2 Windows (Danish)

Version 10.71.2 - Latest

Fixes:

• Fixes an issue with graphical misalignments on the filter modals.
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Version 10.71.2 - Latest

Fixes:

• Fixes an issue with graphical misalignments on the filter modals.

That went fast 🙂 ...and they even put the right file to download this time 😉

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, nathschlaeger said:

I have 10.70.2 and no option to update.

It will update in app in a few days. The release is always staged.  If you want it more quickly download the installer from evernote.com/download

• Like 2