Coming over from Legacy, what can I expect to be lost in the process?

I'm currently running 6.25.1.9091 on Windows Desktop and was thinking of making the jump to v10 (well, soon I won't have a choice on the matter, but that's beside the point). Way back when, the reason I decided to stick with Legacy was due to a number of previously available features that were set to no longer be a part of the newer versions, temporarily or otherwise. Unfortunately, I can't remember which features those were, nor am I aware of what might have been added back since. Erring on the side of caution (and laziness to reinvestigate), I've stuck with old faithful until now.

In short, what features, if any, will be lost once I make the jump to v10? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, shadowmoses said:

In short, what features, if any, will be lost once I make the jump to v10? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

Not knowing what is important to you, it is hard to say what would be missed.  There are already a lot of (now old) discussions on this.  Search around here or Google Evernote legacy vs v10 and there will be plenty to read.  Or download V10 and try it out on your use case to see how it works for you.

8 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Not knowing what is important to you, it is hard to say what would be missed.  

I was actually just coming back to edit my post because I realized it was too vague of an ask haha. I was thinking more along the lines of core features and/or those of more widespread use, particularly any which were originally not included with the newer versions but later added back. My workflow isn't too complicated nor overly dependent on very specific handling so I'm not terribly worried about one small changing breaking everything.

There are already a lot of (now old) discussions on this. Search around here or Google Evernote legacy vs v10 and there will be plenty to read.

Indeed, I'm going through those posts now. Just thought I would ask again for the sake of complete coverage---even though I tend to dislike people who post a question that has been asked many times before 😇

Or download V10 and try it out on your use case to see how it works for you.

I've read that updating to v10 will uninstall the legacy version, but that there should be links within the forum to reinstall the latter. Do you know if this is correct? Or should I consider utilizing a second device to run the legacy version only?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, shadowmoses said:

I've read that updating to v10 will uninstall the legacy version, but that there should be links within the forum to reinstall the latter. Do you know if this is correct? Or should I consider utilizing a second device to run the legacy version only?

That’s correct.  You should be able to find legacy at a site like filehippo, though I’d suggest biting the bucket and just move over or if you don’t like v10 move over to something else before legacy shuts down and you are suddenly forced.

• Level 5

You can install a legacy client on the same device as v10. It should have enough storage to save the EN database twice - both versions run on their own, effectively duplicating the space needed.

However switching clients puts an additional stress on the server, because it needs to convert to update 2 data structures. Since old and new syncing are not compatible, this can lead to problems. We advise against the parallel install since some months,

• Level 5*

...And just to make things more fun,  v10 moved various options around to different menus,  so it takes a little longer sometimes to find and/ or use a specific feature.  Like many,  I held out for over a year before switching,  but once committed I fairly quickly stopped using Legacy altogether and concentrated exclusively on v10.  As you said,  there will come a time when you no longer have a choice,  so better to bite the bullet and get used to the new UI sooner rather than later. 

Despite the combative tone of a lot of the posts lately,  we're very happy to try to help other users when we can.  :)

If you are concerned about V10 wiping Legacy, you could try EN web. It is very similar to the desktop client with only a few limitations. You could then come back here and ask if specific things you were concerned about are different on the desktop client.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, shadowmoses said:

You may have a look to my list of reasons to use Legacy at least in parallel EN10 (find link in my footer). I'll take some time to update it over the next 2-3 weeks 😉

• Like 2
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, AlbertR said:

You may have a look to my list of reasons to use Legacy at least in parallel EN10 (find link in my footer). I'll take some time to update it over the next 2-3 weeks 😉

Permit me to assist on a couple of points (without quibbling about what is actually important):

• Explicit synchronisation with server not possible: press Ctrl/Strg + R
  • Startup and scrolling is slow in EN10: highly variable experience among users, configurations, and circumstances; I don't experience it
  • Notebooks and tags cannot be colored in left navigation panel: This only ever worked in Windows, and did not sync even from one Windows device to another; I liked it, but it was really half-baked
  • Cannot create hyperlinks to local file and folders: Not (no longer?) correct; links of the form file:/// followed by a fully qualified file path will open in their appropriate apps (on Windows desktop app; not in Web app; don't know about Mac)
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Cannot create hyperlinks to local file and folders: Not (no longer?) correct; links of the form file:/// followed by a fully qualified file path will open in their appropriate apps (on Windows desktop app; not in Web app; don't know about Mac)

It also works in Mac, one has to substitute %20 for any spaces in the URI.  Other than that, it works well.  You can also to tel:8005551212 for URI to a phone number, app:string to apps that support URI invocation.  They have even fixed handling of x-app:// uri's.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to upgrade, finally, to 10.x from 7.14 (Direct) on my iMac (running OS 10.15.7 Catalina).  I have about 14,000 notes, accumulated over the past 12 years. Is the best method to simply press the “Install Update” button on the 7.14 client?  The prompt I am getting on 7.14 says the update will be to 10.58.5.  But 10.68.3 seems to be the most current (and that’s what I have been using on the web version, which I like). Should I be concerned about that discrepancy in versions?  Or can I install the current 10.x version separately, taking care not to run both concurrently?  In any case, how long is the database update likely to take (I have medium-speed WiFi)?  

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Tex Maxwell said:

Should I be concerned about that discrepancy in versions?

I don't think so.  Hopefully, it is a typo but if not you can later update to the latest version on Evernote's website.  Don't use the AppStore version.  It is hard to say how long the update will take.  They recently introduced a faster sync that only works with v10.  Unless they have changed this recently, the notes only get converted over as you access them, not all at once in the background, so even when the database is fully downloaded you may notice a delay when first accessing notes created on Legacy.  After a while, you will find everything quite fast.  Due to this note conversion, it is recommended that you don't go between Legacy and v10.

9 minutes ago, Tex Maxwell said:

Is the best method to simply press the “Install Update” button on the 7.14 client?

I would download the newest version from EN and do a complete new installation.

10 minutes ago, Tex Maxwell said:

Should I be concerned about that discrepancy in versions?

Yes. Since 10.58.x and 10.68.3 they released many fixed. Installing the newest version avoids trouble 😉

12 minutes ago, Tex Maxwell said:

can I install the current 10.x version separately, taking care not to run both concurrently?

You can run them in parallel but I would not suggest it as long as you really know and care for differences (especially around syncing or if you have implemented or are using automation tools).

14 minutes ago, Tex Maxwell said:

how long is the database update likely to take (I have medium-speed WiFi)

It may last days - and you will not get any information if it's ready 😞

• Like 1