How does the "Add to Evernote" directory work?

I've always had a directory on my win 10 C drive called "Add to Evernote".  When I want anything to appear in my EN Inbox I send it here.  Recently I began noticing 50-60 duplications appearing in my inbox every time I updated EN.  After deleting those notes they would appear again the next time I updated (even after reconstituting).  Eventually I discovered the culprit ie: there were 50 files in my Add to Evernote directory that would keep re-appearing in the Inbox even though I had moved those notes to other notebooks.  This behavior was maddening but was not seen for all of the notes in "Add to EN", but only for 50.   After deleting those 50 files the problem appears solved.  Can't understand why this happened and if the problem may not reappear (perhaps next time with a 1000 duplications). Sure, I understand that I could delete the entire "Add to EN" directory and those pdfs would still be in my EN app but I like to have that directory as a backup repository of my files.  Any thoughts?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, idoc said:

I like to have that directory as a backup repository of my files.

It's also a waste of space,  because all those files are also replicated in your Evernote database and (theoretically) only if files in the folder are altered will any changes get sent to Evernote when your OS updates the file information.  If you change the information in Evernote by opening a file from within a note,  any changes are synced directly back to the note and the folder copy does not get changed to match.  It's not a good idea to have two potentially live copies of the same information.  Better to backup the database to ensure the embedded copy is safe.

For some reason I had the same experience several months ago with my Import Folder where 20 or so files were imported two or three times before I realised what had happened. It only happened those few times and I have no clue why.  However I now clear it after each import session - by moving the files to another archive folder on an external hard drive.

• Evernote Expert

I can see the value of retaining the PDFs in the import folder. However, if Windows, for whatever reason, updates the file causing the file's date/time to be amended then Evernote will reimport it creating a duplicate.

My personal view is that it is wise to move the files elsewhere once they have been added to Evernote. I run a batch file daily which, in my case, emptied the import folder. I've never experienced a duplicate note. I could instead move the files to an archive folder on the PC which I anticipate would have a similar effect.

• Level 5*

I’ve had the duplicate file issue in the past but not recently.  Another option is to not use the import folder and instead go to the directory where your files are located, select the new ones and then open with Evernote.  That will copy them into Evernote each into its own note.  It is not automated and does require you to remember to take this extra step.  I did this for a while when I had the duplication problem.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

I just drop files on the Evernote icon in the (Mac) Dock and they import into Evernote in a separate note.

Yes, same result as using the open with Evernote option in the menu.

Thanks for the responses. I have never seen this happen in 12 years but it seems as if removing the files in the import folder is curative.  So if I backup the database file instead do I need to quit EN and shut down all the active processes before I do the backup?

• Level 5
On 12/17/2023 at 12:25 PM, s2sailor said:

Another option is to not use the import folder and instead go to the directory where your files are located, select the new ones and then open with Evernote.  That will copy them into Evernote each into its own note.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, Dave Green said:

A bit off-topic but I think it might be helpful…

I just drop files on the Evernote icon in the (Mac) Dock and they import into Evernote in a separate note.

Why, you clever fellows! I never thought of either of those, but they work great for quickly getting a file into its own note. (In Windows 10, dropping onto the Evernote icon in the Taskbar creates the intermediate step of "pinning" it to Evernote, so not as efficient.)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, agsteele said:

No.

As an aside, have you tried to restore your backup as a test? I made a test and had some challenges.

I decided on an automated ENEX backup which was easier.

At times I have taken a notebook, exported the enex files, deleted the original notebook and then reconstituted the deleted notebook by using the enex files.  This worked when I tried it with a notebook of 100 notes.  I assumed it would work for all 9000 if I needed it to.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, idoc said:

At times I have taken a notebook, exported the enex files, deleted the original notebook and then reconstituted the deleted notebook by using the enex files.  This worked when I tried it with a notebook of 100 notes.  I assumed it would work for all 9000 if I needed it to.

I believe you will find any links between the notes you are restoring and links into the notes you are restoring are broke.  The links in the restored notes to notes that are still in Evernote should work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, idoc said:

At times I have taken a notebook, exported the enex files, deleted the original notebook and then reconstituted the deleted notebook by using the enex files.

If you are only testing the backup, instead of deleting the original notebook and then importing the enex file, I would suggest you leave the original in place and instead import the notebook into a new "temp" notebook.  After you have checked out what you want, delete the temp notebook, keeping the original in place.  This will avoid the broken links issue mentioned above.