Evernote is now limited to 50 free notes, that's my last straw.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Graham UK said:

I'm actually really interested to see what Evernote does so well for you

I'm hurt that you didn't ask me... but the answer probably isn't helpful,  because Evernote does everything.  I use one test on incoming emails / interesting clips / snail mail / documentation:  "Is there a good reason this should not be in Evernote?" and in most cases things get clipped scanned or attached as appropriate. 

All my correspondence, user guides, project notes and learning material is in there,  with links to a parent-and-child Table of Contents tree that lets me find (forinstance) the delivery date for my latest Amazon purchase / what standard hashtags to apply to an XFKAT (formally known as Twitter) post / the Regex expression I need for a specific file search / my recent medical history. 

In 16 years or so my account has grown to 63,500+ notes (you digitise a library of files just the one time...) and I can get a automatic backup of that via v10 in about 48 hours using Backupery,  or (if I ever work out how to use it) less time via the Github option (inventively called Evernote-Backup). 

And by the way - to download the entire content of a notebook you need to start from the Notebooks page on a desktop app,  tap the three-dots menu to the right and chose 'export' - difficult,  right?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Graham UK said:

@PinkElephant @bmcl26 I get it I'm actually really interested to see what Evernote does so well for you that it's worth paying for?  I'm curious perhaps I'm missing something that I haven't seen or maybe it's something I know about that I'm not using. 

In the last several years I've primarily been using Evernote to store reference information which is useful but something that's Google Keep and Onenote can do as well.

The price point isn't the issue I happily pay over £100 a month for LinkedIn Sales Navigator because I get value from it. 

I understand that Evernote needs to make a profit and BS are quietly hoping enough of the Evernote free users upgrade to a paid version to keep the lights on.  It seems like they don't make it exactly easy to migrate your data off Evernote so it may just work.

Is there an easy way to download load all of my data from Evernote. Other companies like, LinkedIn, Google, Facebook etc have a simple way you can request a copy of your data and you get an email with links to download everything.

All I can find is that you have to install an old version of the Evernote software which may stop working at any point. By the way that's another reason why I'm deciding to not upgrade to paid.  After a year I may not be even able to download the 12,000 or so notes I have in Evernote from over the  years.  That may not be the case so please correct me if there is a hassle free way to get your notes off Evernote.

We are obviously on different wavelengths. If you fail to see what EN does so well, it is my desktop for my day ahead, displaying my calendar, tasks, pinned notes, recent notes, and shortcuts all on the home screen.  I have used EN (paid) since 2011 and my use has increased exponentially with the introduction of all the new features introduced since V10 commenced.  I was not a fan of V10 when it was first released, but this was mainly due to being forced out of my comfort zone due to some features being in a different place on the screen.  This problem was resolved after a few weeks of getting to know the new release.   I currently have in excess of 29,000 notes all readily accessible, so yes indeed EN gives me value at a current cost of around 24p per day.

8 hours ago, Graham UK said:

@PinkElephant @bmcl26 I get it I'm actually really interested to see what Evernote does so well for you that it's worth paying for?  I'm curious perhaps I'm missing something that I haven't seen or maybe it's something I know about that I'm not using. 

In the last several years I've primarily been using Evernote to store reference information which is useful but something that's Google Keep and Onenote can do as well.

The price point isn't the issue I happily pay over £100 a month for LinkedIn Sales Navigator because I get value from it. 

I understand that Evernote needs to make a profit and BS are quietly hoping enough of the Evernote free users upgrade to a paid version to keep the lights on.  It seems like they don't make it exactly easy to migrate your data off Evernote so it may just work.

Is there an easy way to download load all of my data from Evernote. Other companies like, LinkedIn, Google, Facebook etc have a simple way you can request a copy of your data and you get an email with links to download everything.

All I can find is that you have to install an old version of the Evernote software which may stop working at any point. By the way that's another reason why I'm deciding to not upgrade to paid.  After a year I may not be even able to download the 12,000 or so notes I have in Evernote from over the  years.  That may not be the case so please correct me if there is a hassle free way to get your notes off Evernote.

We are obviously on different wavelengths. If you fail to see what EN does so well, it is my desktop for my day ahead, displaying my calendar, tasks, pinned notes, recent notes, and shortcuts all on the home screen.  I have used EN (paid) since 2011 and my use has increased exponentially with the introduction of all the new features introduced since V10 commenced.  I was not a fan of V10 when it was first released, but this was mainly due to being forced out of my comfort zone due to some features being in a different place on the screen.  This problem was resolved after a few weeks of getting to know the new release.   I currently have in excess of 29,000 notes, all readily accessible across several platforms, including my PC, Smartphone, Tablet, Laptop and Web Access.  So yes indeed EN gives me value at a current cost of around 24p per day.

• Like 4

I never wanted to use Evernote. I'd been using Springpad for years before 2014 when Evernote decided to buy up their competition. Evernote has never been great and the almost yearly and nonsensical reshuffle of the interface has been a massive turn off for me, to the point where I only use the app maybe once or twice a year now (I've switched to a reMarkable).

This new direction just means I'm going to delete it all together. 

• 5 weeks later...

Finally can stop using this, leeching from this company was very nice. Going to waaay better OneNote now, hope that both of those evernote fanboys (this pink guy and this yellow, not too bright one) will see this, because I know that they like informations like this one ; ) xoxo

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Azetaris said:

Finally can stop using this, leeching from this company was very nice. Going to waaay better OneNote now, hope that both of those evernote fanboys (this pink guy and this yellow, not too bright one) will see this, because I know that they like informations like this one ; ) xoxo

Like don't take this the wrong way, I just haven't yet figured out how b I've been able to be effective in OneNote. I've tried to give it a shot a few times in 7 years, but it's such a diametrically opposed logic of the whole system that I'm just lost in it..
That's why it always surprises me when Evernote (or very similar services) users pinpoint to OneNote.
Keep up the good work :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

i have tried both evernote and onenote, and can safely say onenote is not bad, even great, for an average user.

i mainly use on the android phone, as that is where i need my notes on the go. the computer is used more for input.   I don't use my notes application(s) to reproduce my desktop - windows file explorer folders, word files, excel files, documents etc. some short word files, which are essentially notes, i would copy to my notes application(s).  notes application for me is for keeping notes, not whole documents.  word / pdf files on computer is more suited for that.   my notes application(s) is not a replica of my Documents folder in windows computer which has numerous files.     

each has its strength.  evernote has tagging, which onenote (on android phone) don't have - however, onenote has section, sub-section etc.   on the other hand, onenotes has far superior search facility including finding in the middle of the word rather than just the beginning of the word.     onenote has one feature that is very important to me - custom sorting of notes.  this way, i can group notes related to each other together - eg i may have created a note on my car tyres one year ago.   i may create a note on my car battery today.   i can drag the note on car battery up / down to be besides the note on my car tyre.  and then i may have a few notes on public transport.  i would like to keep them above the car-related notes so that i can reference them together easily.   evernote doesn't have this facility.  i would have to change the first word on all related notes to be the same, and then sort alphabetically.  This is painful.  and have to ensure that all other notes don't have that word as starting word ! PS i am a palm device user from long time, and this ability to move notes to group related notes together was a feature from then, and became important to me !

all notes apps (or other apps for that matter) must have decent export facility, so that users are not held hostage.  That is just being ethical.   onenote allows export of notes in word, pdf, xps and single file web page format. evernote too allows to pdf.   They should also have csv file export format, but don't.   there is a third party application called onegem which allows for csv file export from onenote.   that also allows for evernote to onenote transfer and google keep to onenote transfer among others.  it costs $28 but has no real trial. i have not myself used it. but others have made good comments.

personally, at the point of migration, i take it as an opportunity to cull notes and only bring forward those active notes when i need them.  i had thousands of notes in palm device / desktop, which allowed CSV file export.   But onenote or evernote didn't have ability to import CSV file.   then i realised that many of my notes are outdated or not of value anymore.   i did manual transfer of about 200 most important notes that i know i will need on the go.   the rest is an ongoing process.  i can still reference my old notes on palm desktop. so i need not migrate them to onenote / evernote immediately.   if any change need to be made to a note, i will copy that note manually and make change only in onenote / evernote  i.e.  palm desktop remains static with no new information.   if i find i need information on certain note on the go (even though no change needed), i will copy that note manually.    palm desktop is only on the computer unfortunately.     while evernote is on the phone.  so it is anyway easy to reference old notes, and you can just keep them on evernote.  whenever a note needs to be updated, you can copy over to onenote and make changes there.   new notes only to be created in onenote.   onenote is completely free - microsoft makes money from elsewhere so it can allow onenote to be free without any issue.

hope i am able to help some folks.   sorry for my english not being so good. thanks

• Like 1

I have been an Evernote Premium subscriber for many years, but can no longer afford the high cost for the service. I have been a strong advocate for Evernote, and a loyal user of Evernote for many years, and I have many thousands of notes stored in Evernote.  I am now told I am limited to 50 notes under the free service.  What happened to all the data that I trusted Evernote with?  Where are my family letters that I uploaded?  My kids report cards?  My children's artwork that I uploaded to Evernote for perpetuity?  My vaccination records?  Our family history?  My letters from my old girlfriends?    I scanned all these documents into Evernote, thinking they would be preserved forever.  And now they are gone.

I can no longer access the data that I entrusted Evernote with without paying a premium subscription fee which I can no longer afford.  I trusted Evernote for my life's worth of valuable data  But now I am limited to 50 notes total, and all the data I uploaded over the years is inaccessible.  What's up with that? 

• Level 5*
On 3/16/2024 at 12:04 AM, TimGoe said:

And now they are gone.

No,  they are not.  You can still access your account and download the content.  With more than 50 notes you may no longer add notes.

• Like 1

As many have pointed out, I am grateful to EN for the free plan they have allowed me to use. It was absolutely my 'go to' notes taker. They now have to make money; I get it ... but.

To hold a free plan customer to ransom is NOT the way to move people from free to paid. EN has deliberately made it as difficult as possible for free users to export ther data to another platform. The legacy software block, and the 100 note export limit is as transparent as the nose on your face EN 😞 Pay up, or lose your notes.

So I am going to subscribe for the minimal period possible, just to move to another platform. Your need to monetise is completely understandable; your approach, reprehensible.

Whatever, you'll probably say.

• Level 5
On 3/15/2024 at 8:04 PM, TimGoe said:

I can no longer access the data that I entrusted Evernote with without paying a premium subscription fee which I can no longer afford.  I trusted Evernote for my life's worth of valuable data  But now I am limited to 50 notes total, and all the data I uploaded over the years is inaccessible.  What's up with that? 

The official statement:

In keeping with Evernote’s 3 Laws of Data Protection, and to ensure that all users retain full ownership of their data, any Free user who currently has more than fifty notes and one notebook will still be able to view, edit, export, share, and delete existing notes and notebooks. 

some people may find value in evernote premium, some may not.  it depends upon complexity of your usage.

for those who feel evernote premium is not value for their use case:

As per what I suggested earlier,  leave your old notes in Evernote free version.   You are supposed to still have full read-only access to it.   Hopefully, this policy is not changed in future.      Evernote is available on your mobile, so you can easily access your old notes on the go too.

Start an account in Onenote, if you don't already have.   New notes, you create here.  There will be some learning curve. Biggest drawback will be lack of tagging on onenote mobile version.  You can use so-called "Sections",  which is like category as tags, but of course limited to one "tag" per note.   For second tag, if needed, you can use hashtag-like system ie eg #urgent.    Onenote has very powerful search function, it can even search in middle of word eg if you search burger, words like hamburger, cheeseburger, beefburger, beef burger etc all will be found.     another good organisation function is you can move notes and keep related notes beside each other, in addition to alphabetical, modified date and created date sorting

whenever any old note in evernote needs change, copy just that note over to onenote, and make changes.  initially, this will happen a lot, say several times a day. but  over time, say 1 year, you will find you will need to access evernote less and less.      I suggest to use this way, and also it helps you to ignore notes that are outdated. no need to review notes and remove outdated notes.  killing 2 birds with one stone !

if you want to fast track and transfer all notes, there are some commercial solution. one is onegem costing $28 that claim can transfer from evernote to onenote.   I haven't tried so cannot vouch for it, though i have read 2-3 positive reviews and no negative reviews. there is also no real trial, so you will need to make leap of faith in buying.  please don't rely on me. I am just highlighting it exists and cannot say for sure about it. you need to make your own decision.

i also came across open source tool called stefan's tool  evernote2onenote converter.   this one is free so easier to try !   but i haven't use.  just highlighting the existence.       

hope this is helpful to some people.  thank you.

• Level 5

Thinking about this I doubt it is good advise.

You avoid moving your data, but it means you have permanently 2 sets of data. One of them is aging, but may hold important information, the other is growing and overlying the first. In the end the minimum pain will be to search 2 different silos with data eternally.

Looks like "Easy go lucky now, painful later", similar to "Lot's of sugar candy, but don't touch a toothbrush" to me.

I think anybody who wants to use another app should take care of his data NOW - and not trust that an unpaid cloud archive will be there forever.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, pkmailbox1 said:

As per what I suggested earlier,  leave your old notes in Evernote free version.   You are supposed to still have full read-only access to it.

You also can still edit your notes, just not make any new ones.  Per their comment you can leave this archive in place, but personally I would not want my notes split between apps.  I think it is best to either get on board with v10 or move all your notes over to another app that you prefer.

PinkElephant and s2sailor,

both your points are valid and well taken.       

My suggestion has some benefits too, and i would like to highlight:

1) note taking apps are very important to many people, and preference can vary a lot.   just by reading the features etc, one may not be able to figure out for sure, whether they would prefer or not.  there is the initial User Interface that you see, and the features that you immediately notice. but there is also customisation which can change your total feel about the app, and more features you discover as you use. i.e. there is a learning curve.  so, many a times, at the first go, many people will just say that, no, no way, they don't like the new app and cannot get use to it - true whether moving from evernote to onenote, or from onenote to evernote.  but put a few days effort, and they may find it is actually not bad, or there is lot of similarity or may even find better !   by doing in "baby step", so to speak, you don't fully invest into it. you can backtrack or move to third application if needed.   you use for a week, putting only new notes in the new app.  by then, you will know for sure, whether you want to move or not.  and if not, you can move the relatively few new notes from new app to old app.   you haven't invested resources - time, money, effort in reclassifying data, structuring data for seamless conversion, fixing reason if data transfer fail etc - on full transfer of data yet. if you just move one shot without experimenting for 1 week, and you don't like, then you would need to do reverse transfer again !  if you use commercial software to do full transfer e.g. onegem, you pay money and then if you feel you don't want to move, your money is wasted.

2) over time, you may have collected thousands of notes.  you can of course just leave it as it is. but this can start becoming problem. with very large database for e.g. , everything becomes slower. when you do a search, too many outdated notes are found.   so, you might need to do housekeeping, and that means you spend time specifically doing housekeeping.   however, by moving over time, only active notes to new app, some level of housekeeping is automatically done. if you need to edit a note, that means it is active. that is why i say move it - even though you can edit in evernote free version.  if you need to read-only access a note many times, move it etc.  of course, new notes are only in new app. then over time, you may find many notes in old app are outdated.   for e.g. in my case, when moving from old palm desktop (i had about 5000 notes) to evernote, over 1 year, i found 30% (around 1500 of those notes) in evernote, and 70% (3500 of those notes) remaining in palm desktop, which i rarely access at all.   YMMV of course. so, it helped me to do housekeeping automatically.  in my case, it was harder as palm desktop is only on computer so sometimes when out, i could get stuck, not having access to important data while on the go. but moving from evernote to onenote or onenote to evernote, it is easier as notes are available on your mobile too.  after 1 year, bulk of transfer and housekeeping is done.  then, even if i access a note only one time, i move it.  it is rare, in any case.     as you are not deleting your data in old app, you don't need to worry in any case, as even after 3 years, you find you need a note that has data you need (very very rare), you can still access. 

As i said, your point on moving one shot is also valid. the need to search 2 silos is also true, but after a point, it is less.   I could not do one shot in my case, as while palm desktop could export all notes in one csv file,  evernote could not import.  So i was forced to do bit by bit and upset initially, but later found, it was actually great strategy for me, due to the housekeeping done, and successfully getting all my active notes into evernote.  if i wanted to do one shot, I would have to use some lesser known apps like Note Everything, which could import csv file, but i wasn't keen on it.        So, highlighting this as a strategy that worked for me, in case someone else could also feel like following.  It actually worked like a charm for me, when initially I was very upset I could not move all notes. 

Thanks

Haven't logged in in a year.

Disappointed. :(

You've lost me. It didn't have to be this way. But you chose this. And I represent millions of potential revenue dollars that are lost today.

Introduce a 99 cent plan for 500 note limit to see your company thrive.