50 notes limit

• Level 5

After my eyes stopped rolling.... There is one thing that a person paying for Evernote and only using a limited number of features and storage is also getting: the opportunity to do more at any time. I doubt that anyone uses absolutely every feature of Evernote on a regular basis. IMHO, what one pays for is the level of service that one actually needs, whatever selection of features and quantity of storage that may involve. I have a modest 1700 notes. I don't do Tasks (yet). I have my Google Calendar connected, but haven't (yet) figured out what to do with it. I don't use Evernote as online document storage in order to go paperless. I mostly have notes about ideas I want to work with. But for this purpose I consider it easily worth the Professional subscription price, nor do I feel like I'm subsidizing somebody who's running a business on Evernote, because I'm getting what I need from it. And if and when I need to do more, I have access to the full range of capabilities.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Going back to my Tesla example earlier - if you buy a Tesla for the sole purpose of taking your kids to school and live within 5 miles of the place - you can't go back to the company and ask for a lower price because you don't use any of the bells and whistles.  This is based (in the UK at least) on Caveat Emptor. 

According to my mate Bard...

The caveat emptor principle is based on the idea that buyers should be diligent in their purchasing decisions. They should carefully inspect the goods or services they are considering buying, and they should seek out information about the seller's reputation and the quality of their products. This will help them to avoid making poor purchases.

The caveat emptor principle is a fundamental principle of contract law that has been around for centuries. It is a reminder that buyers should be careful when making purchases and that they should not rely on the seller to ensure the quality of the goods or services they are buying.

If you buy above your need - that's not on the seller...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you buy above your need - that's not on the seller...

I should add that, personally, I tend to buy tech (i.e., computer and smartphone) for the future, not just the present, since I don't plan to swap them out every year. So using a specific set of Evernote features, knowing I have access to the rest when needed, feels natural to me.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I mentioned somewhere that I subscribed here 15 years ago - not because I used the account to its full potential,  but because that gave me access to everything to try out / plus a priority helpline / plus whatever contractual rights you get from those "tick if you want to use this product" options at the start...  -And despite the then aspirations to be a 100-year company,  I did think a bit of cash would help them keep the lights on for a year or two at least...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Point is EN is no longer targeting the casual user.  No science, but I'd say their subscription price is one of the higher in the market across general purpose app types.  How ever many cups of coffee one drinks.  If the value is there for someone, great.  Smaller audience though at the price. 

Fair for casual users to ask for a restricted, lower cost option.  Doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon. 

And if it were me I'd get rid of free and replace with trial.  But it ain't me.

• Like 2

As a free user for 6+ years, with over 200 notebooks (and probably 10 times as many notes), I have to say I'm both annoyed at the company for the fact and implementation of the change, and additionally infuriated by the attitudes of @gazumped and @PinkElephant. Of course the company has the right to change their model, but we also have the right to be pissed about why and how they've done it, and to express as much to each other. Call us leeches or freeloaders as much as you like - we were using the service as offered and advertised. As others have said, your rhetoric smacks of similar conversations around welfare (albeit with a lot more alternatives in this instance).

I use Evernote to manage my session notes and worldbuilding for D&D. I'm not a professional DM, I don't make any money from DMing, and I don't have the money to pay more for D&D than I already do, between Roll20 (VTT) and World Anvil (wiki). The precise draw of Evernote was it being free and with such a high threshold for data that I was unlikely to ever meet it (though I hit the monthly cap a few times, and fair enough). Whereas I might have paid to avoid the time and faff of switching over to a different service, nothing about the way this was priced or handled, or the way you two have gone to bat for them, has made me inclined to proceed. Enjoy your empty servers.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, thatsingingguy said:

Call us leeches or freeloaders as much as you like - we were using the service as offered and advertised....

I use Evernote to manage my session notes and worldbuilding for D&D. I'm not a professional DM, I don't make any money from DMing, and I don't have the money to pay more for D&D than I already do, between Roll20 (VTT) and World Anvil (wiki). The precise draw of Evernote was it being free and with such a high threshold for data that I was unlikely to ever meet it (though I hit the monthly cap a few times, and fair enough).

A couple of decent points here. Using the free service within its limits was playing fair. And you were using it in a way that seems reasonable to do for free, to enjoy a hobby (is it right to call D&D a hobby? I don't know) rather than for professional use. The change in terms for the free service was drastic and abrupt, and I get the sense of shock. But OTOH, a free service is not a contract, and 6 years and 2000 notes is a lot of free use. Once Evernote was sold it might have made sense to sniff the wind. There are other free options, and your best bet will be to export out of Evernote into one of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Dave-in-Decatur Thank you for acknowledging why some of us might be frustrated. Sadly, I didn't know about Evernote being acquired. You're right, it is a lot of free use, and someone (possibly you) mentioned inertia, which was, until this point, the biggest reason to stay. It's a lot of notes to reorganise elsewhere, but I'll just have to find an export solution and a free or value for money alternative.

Evernote could have had £20-£30 a year from me, if they were prepared to offer a more reasonable price point. Perhaps that's not worth it to them compared to the data I was using. But now they will get nothing. If they were using the quality of discount deals to test people's willingness to pay against the draw of the free service, then they don't understand when or why most users pay for things.

• Level 5

Since the discussion about a cheap plan is obvious, I would have expected a launch of such a plan at the same time the Free plan undergoes it’s rebuild.

That there is no such offer speaks for itself.

To export your stuff you need a desktop client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, Lark in Michigan said:

Well, I’m all for paying beyond a basic service, but:

1.  I don’t have 50 notes and I’m blocked from adding more, and

2.  The popup notice does not state a price, and when I click continue to see the price, it doesn’t go anywhere. 
so it seems I am done. 

1. Emptied your trash notebook lately?
  2. It is possible to check the cost of updates via the web or mobiles
  3. Bye.

The problem I have is that their paid package is now too expensive to justify the features provided, and the free package is too limited.  I was paying for premium/personal up until a few months ago, paying on and off since 2010, but recently I'd been looking at alternatives due to missing features and this has pretty much finalised that decision.  I kept the free going, hoping to see new features drag me back, but I see little point now as I can't even create new notes.  I wouldn't even mind paying if the personal version had feature parity with the competition but I can't even create inline links, I can't create inline tags, I can't separate my work notes from personal ones, I can't encrypt sensitive notebooks or even single notes, I can't even simply select a notes contents and copy and paste it into Word or Outlook!!  To top it off, even though I was paying, I was regularly blasted with adverts telling me to upgrade to the professional version that has no added features I'd use.  The full window advert popping up during a business meeting was the final trigger I needed to look elsewhere.  It's a shame to say good bye, but improvements have been so minor to justify the huge price increase and the worlds moved on.  I hope they read these forum posts and start listening to their users, especially paying users who deserve a premium product when paying a premium price.

• Level 5*

I'm not trying to change your mind but would like to address some of your comments.

3 minutes ago, Samo123 said:

I can't separate my work notes from personal ones

I used one stack for work and another for home.  Worked for me.  I set up a saved search to make it easy to only search work when needed.

4 minutes ago, Samo123 said:

I can't encrypt sensitive notebooks or even single notes, I can't even simply select a notes contents

They don't have notebook encryption, I also wish they did, but you can encrypt any text note content.

5 minutes ago, Samo123 said:

I can't even simply select a notes contents and copy and paste it into Word or Outlook!!

You will need to describe this problem some more.  I was able to do this the last time I tried.

6 minutes ago, Samo123 said:

To top it off, even though I was paying, I was regularly blasted with adverts telling me to upgrade to the professional version that has no added features I'd use.  The full window advert popping up during a business meeting was the final trigger I needed to look elsewhere. 

I downgraded to the personal plan when the prices went up.  I am using the latest V10 version and I have yet to see a pop-up asking me to go to professional.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 12/22/2023 at 9:33 PM, Samo123 said:

The problem I have is that their paid package is now too expensive to justify the features provided, and the free package is too limited.... I wouldn't even mind paying if the personal version had feature parity with the competition but I can't even create inline links, I can't create inline tags, I can't separate my work notes from personal ones, I can't encrypt sensitive notebooks or even single notes, I can't even simply select a notes contents and copy and paste it into Word or Outlook!!

@s2sailor has responded to several points here (in particular, I paste content from Evernote into other programs all the time; details on what doesn't work would help). By inline links and tags, do you mean using Markdown? I'm never going to want to do that. Which brings me to one last point, that feature parity is pretty subjective. Evernote's features are well worth the price of a Professional subscription for me, but obviously aren't for you and a number of others. Different ways of using it lead to different impressions of whether the features line up with the need and the cost. IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, StephenRStone said:

... after 11 years of using Evernote, this is why I am migrating to OneNote.

It's hard to justify $150/year for a service that others offer for free.

To be clear, 11 years of using Evernote for free? Naturally, they can't keep doing that forever. No doubt Microsoft can since they make their money elsewhere. If it works for you, great. Win for you, win for Evernote, win for those of us who pay.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi Folks, thanks for your replies.  In answer to some of your questions:

@s2sailor
> I used one stack for work and another for home

Separating notes into stacks isn't the issue, I'd also done that.  The problem is that Evernote caches content from both of those stacks on my work PC when I login, even when using the browser version.  This made keeping personal information in Evernote risky, as my business would have access to that data if they interrogated their PC.  At one point I even tried creating a 2nd Evernote account and sharing my work notebook with that account, but then it prevented me from creating new tags from the 2nd account within the Shared Notebook.  Even if that had worked, with the price increase there's absolutely no way I'd be able to justify paying for 2 accounts now.

> I can't even simply select a notes contents and copy and paste it into Word

Let's say I try and use a note as a email template, with a company logo at the top left and place holders for the recipients name etc.  When I select the whole note and copy to the clipboard, and then go and paste it into Outlook or Gmail or Word etc, the image/logo will simply turn into an empty square box.

> I am using the latest V10 version and I have yet to see a pop-up asking me to go to professional

I mainly used the browser version, so not sure if that made a difference, but the persistent adverts occurred heavily during the month they had a sale on.  There was a permanent advert at the bottom of the left bar, another at the top of the notes list, another in settings, another came via email, and then the full screen one occurred at least twice.  Wish you all the best for their next sale period.

@PinkElephant
> A continuous use is hardly possible when you are past the limit.

Agreed, but this limit feels like their alienating previous customer rather than encouraging them to subscribe in order to obtain enhanced valued features.  I may have considered resubscribing if the price was still reasonable, but for almost half the renewal price I got the family version of Microsoft Office which includes OneNote and 6 TB of storage.

@Dave-in-Decatur
> I paste content from Evernote into other programs all the time

As per my response above, this is mainly an issue when my notes contain images.  Since moving to v10 I've always got a white square instead of the image when pasting into other Windows apps.

> By inline links and tags, do you mean using Markdown?

No, not exactly.  v10 of Evernote already supports some Markdown input methods, so linking this to that would be useful, but not necessary.  In OneNote I can right click any text in a note, e.g. a header half way down the page, and then select "Copy Link to Paragraph".  I can then go to another note and paste that link in, then when I click that link in the future, it'll navigate back to that exact position in the other note.  In Evernote I can only link to the top of the note, not a specific location within the note.  In Obsidian markdown does make this substantially quicker.  I can quickly link to any specific note or area of a note (like OneNote) within minimal effort, simply typing [[ and typing a few letters lets me pick a matching note, then after typing # I can simply select a header within the note.

> feature parity is pretty subjective

Yes, I do agree.  I've been torn between Evernote, Obsidian and OneNote from before the price increase.  Obsidian for commercial use with Sync is slightly more expensive than Evernote, while OneNote is substantially cheaper.  It's not the overall cost that's a major issue, it's what I get for that cost.  While Evernote has some features I value over the competition, such as good web browser access, it's also missing a good number of features, including those I mentioned previously.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, Samo123 said:

> I can't even simply select a notes contents and copy and paste it into Word

Let's say I try and use a note as a email template, with a company logo at the top left and place holders for the recipients name etc.  When I select the whole note and copy to the clipboard, and then go and paste it into Outlook or Gmail or Word etc, the image/logo will simply turn into an empty square box.

Thanks for the clarification. To me, "can't paste images" is quite different from "can't paste content." The problem copying and pasting images out of Evernote into Word, etc., is long-standing and well known, unfortunately, and I agree it should have been fixed long ago. The workaround, to save the image to disk and then import it, is not that hard--unless you have to do it all the time. I don't often need it myself, but those who need it are justified in seeing this as a reason to go elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Samo123 said:

> By inline links and tags, do you mean using Markdown?

No, not exactly.  v10 of Evernote already supports some Markdown input methods, so linking this to that would be useful, but not necessary.  In OneNote I can right click any text in a note, e.g. a header half way down the page, and then select "Copy Link to Paragraph".  I can then go to another note and paste that link in, then when I click that link in the future, it'll navigate back to that exact position in the other note.  In Evernote I can only link to the top of the note, not a specific location within the note.

Again thanks. Another long-desired feature that I'm sure many would love for Evernote to get. There's enough competition for them now that I hope it will spur them to get going on that list. (After finishing the back-end stuff, etc.)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It's a shame, those prices are for professional users, they forget about home users, I don't need 10gb of transfer per month, I just need to be able to make unlimited notes. 3, 4 or 5€ I could pay monthly, not more money.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:13 PM, Andrew, Hove said:

I am with you as a long time user, I would have stayed but I don't need all the fancy features (and AI ?!?) that power users would take advantage of, I even sent a plea asking for a FREE+ with the same limits but just remove the nags for a few dollars a month.

I keep seeing posts with "if you don't want to pay then don't use the service as it costs them to run it" but if you look at the other way round, if I pay for the first personal level but continue to use two devices and limited storage and uploads I am subsiding the rest that ARE taking advantage of the features of that level.

Anyway, as it happens after struggling to export all (700) of my notes to move to Joplin which kept inexplicably failing randomly at different counts, a 50% offer popped up. Starting to worry I would lose older historic posts I folded and paid for a year and magically the exports worked flawlessly.

Despite having now paid I'm intending to stick with Joplin. So far the only feature I'm missing is the favourites section as I had a dozen or so regularly used notes but I'll work round that with tags.

It will be interesting to see where this ends up.

Update: 5 months in and not had to refer back to EN once, a couple of the more "rich" notes imported needed a little manual tweaking, but for my basic use Joplin's been perfect, in fact a plus is the faster opening speed on mobile devices which I use regularly and a native Linux app.

I've taken advantage of the Dropbox integration to sync across my devices which has been seamless

• Level 5

It depends on your use cases. The more you just used it to store stuff, the less probably it is you need to go back for reference 

If your general note taking is apart of this simple & light, most apps will do. The field is narrowing down when you add features. Most often offline use, OCR and an excellent web clipper are the key issues that are not found everywhere.