Sync Has Gone Completely Wrong!

Go to solution Solved by thirtythreesixty,

Hi All,

Hope you are all well.

I am at a complete loss as to what I have noticed on my Evernote. I use Evernote on my phone and through the web client. I have been a user since 2012 (albeit free).

Recently I started moving the folders around to better organise them. Created new stacks, deleted the old ones, moving notes to different notebooks, etc, etc. I was doing this first on the Web client, then also using my phone.

I noticed that the Web Client doesn't match my phone, it was a few days old. When I signed out and back in, it's like it went back further (about a week!).

I restarted my phone, kept force synching to no avail - Web Client is still wrong. I signed out of my phone and back in, no issues the notes are all there in the right place.

I deleted the app on my phone, signed back in. It loaded the old database from the Web Client, but then after about 2 minutes it magically updated to the new, latest sync. I did this twice.

No idea what the hell is going on! It is like my phone has a separate, and newer, database that is not being shared with the web client. I don't know how to bring them both into parity again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
59 minutes ago, JoshAlfie said:

It is like my phone has a separate, and newer, database that is not being shared with the web client.

Hi.  Mobile devices don't typically store data on the device - it's downloaded from the server.  Are you sure you don't have two separate accounts here?

I know you need to ask, and I wish it were that simple. Unfortuantely, no, I do not have two separate accounts. 

I even detatched both my phone and Web Client from my account. Then relogged in - I still have 2 separate folder structures showing. The newer one on my phone and the week old one on the web client.

I'm having the same problem.  My phone app has 12,480 notes and is current.  But the WEB version only has 11,890 notes, missing everything I've input since Sept. 10th, 2023 until today (October 31, 2023).  Almost 600 notes just disappears.  I've logged out and in many times.  I've restart my computer many times.  Not sure what the issue is.

As an update, I have downloaded the app on my Macbook and the notes match the Web Client. 

Another strange behaviour:

• I cannot delete some notebooks. They disappear then immediately reappear.
  • One notebook I was sorting through has 30 notes on my phone. On the Mac and web client they show 149 - but everytime I click the notebook again it refreshes, and the total number of notes drops by 1. If I keep clicking the note count drops to 42 then stops.

I feel like something has become corrupted on my personal file stored on the server side. Not sure where to go with this. I don't want to lose 11 years worth of notes!

Update 2: I found a previous post from yourself gazumped that had this link: https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action 

I went there and reverted the Web Client back to the old version and the notebooks match my phone! (Thanks for that)

Whatever the issue is, it has to do with the latest version of Evernote. I need to get an old version working on my Mac so I can export the notes as a backup. Saga continues...

• Like 1

Update 3: Downloaded an older version of v10 for the Mac. And immediately the notes resolved. It asked if I wanted to upgrade to the latest, so with gritted teeth I did and it didn't break!

So now my notes are correctly synced across all my devices. Phew! I'm going to export all my notebooks just in case, however. 

I would still be curious to know if anyone in the community can hazard a guess as to what that wobble might have been.

6 hours ago, KeithBurrow said:

I'm having the same problem.  My phone app has 12,480 notes and is current.  But the WEB version only has 11,890 notes, missing everything I've input since Sept. 10th, 2023 until today (October 31, 2023).  Almost 600 notes just disappears.  I've logged out and in many times.  I've restart my computer many times.  Not sure what the issue is.

Sorry to hear Keith. Have a try switching the web version client back to the old version. See if that works.

• Level 5

Switching the web client to the old version can lead to all sort of malfunction. EN warns actively against using the old web client.

Sure it can be done, but only at your own peril. Maybe it fixes things, but maybe it "helps" in breaking them.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I did switch to the old version on the Web View, which did capture a few more notes (total online notes come up to 11, 910 from 11,890 - but still far less than the 12,480 notes on my iphone app) - and then switched back to the new version,  - with no effect unfortunately. Still the same problem.  Another odd symptom - when I "PIN" one of the missing notes on my phone to the "HOME" widget, that missing note then shows up on the WEB version suddenly.  This is the only way I can get some of the critical missing notes that remain on my phone to show up on the WEB version.  I've sent a support ticket off to Evernote to see if they can help.  For now, I'm refusing to log out of the phone app for fear of losing the 550-600 notes I captured between Sept. 9th and today.

• Evernote Expert
31 minutes ago, KeithBurrow said:

For now, I'm refusing to log out of the phone app for fear of losing the 550-600 notes I captured between Sept. 9th and today.

I think that it's very wise. Since it seems that your mobile device isn't syncing any action you take on that device is likely lose data.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, thirtythreesixty said:

I’m having very similar issues. Web app and desktop client are not matching my iPhone and iPad apps despite relogging in/out, rebooting etc. I downloaded my activity log and it’s endless pages of errors. Sent to support but adding here as it looks like it’s not just me 

It seems that I've seen several reports of similar phenomena now in more than one thread, with mobile devices having up-to-date note content and count while the Web client is missing a significant number of notes. @agsteele, are you also seeing these reports? Could there be something vastly hinky with the Web client??

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

mobile devices having up-to-date note content and count while the Web client is missing a significant number of notes.

I've seen a few of these too,  and one user whom I advised to go back to the 'old' web client said that he found more notes there than the new web client.  Houston I think there's a problem here somewhere...

Anyone have any ideas on how to get evernote to look at this?  I sent them my crash log and they just sent back the list of "have you turned it on/off?" type responses.

Its fairly clear from a lot of posts that there's an issue with web/desktop client not synching properly.  People are reverting to old web versions to fix the issue which as noted above is not recommended.

Just posting again here to see if anyone from evernote is looking!!

• Like 1

I received a similar email today as well.  Very basic script for obvious things.  I hate to say it, but I've given up after 10 years and over 12,000 notes with Evernote.  With ZERO real technical support, I no longer trust it, or them anymore.  I'm looking for a new app that i can migrate to (perhaps OneNote) in the coming months.  I'm very disappointed in Evernote.  Sorry I can't be of more assistance thirtythreesixty.  I'm still stuck on this issue as well.

• Evernote Expert
43 minutes ago, KeithBurrow said:

perhaps OneNote)

I understand the desire for decent, prompt technical support. I'm not sure that OneNote is the way to go off you need support. You'll be back on user to user forums.

• Level 5*

If anyone can quote relevant ticket numbers here we can flag them up to our Admins who maybe can push for a bit more attention - but it depends on what is keeping the Evernote staff busy and -apparently- completely off the air at the moment.  Don't know what they're working on but I'm guessing its a bit urgent...

• Like 1

I have the same problem since two month ago! I didn´t find any workaround so decided to stop using another app (despite I'm paying for Evernote Personal), suddenly, three weeks ago the web version started to work well, with up-to-date notes and tasks but last week it failed again and shows me notes and tasks from many months ago, it's note up-to-date. It's annyoing because I use Evernote for working and my magister thesis and I haven't received any support from the team. I don't want to go back to the older web version since I've read in this forum that it can cause lost of data in the future, I need s solution, literally I paid my second year of Evernote Personal last month and I can't use it!

I believe I'm having problems similar to yours regarding synchronization. I even opened a ticket, can you tell me if the company will resolve it or if someone has had at least the same problem as me?

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/3776522

"It's not matching the number of notebooks and notes I have in my notebooks. For example, in the iPhone app I have a notebook with 60 notes, but when I look online, it says 54 and when I look through the MacBook app, 57."

• Level 5

We are other users here, and we can only tell you that when you have a ticket number, you have a valid ticket, and that support is currently busy, with several days between receiving a ticket and the first contact by a support clerk.

To check about the different notes count, the usual procedure is to make sure all devices are synced (must be online, on mobile there is an option to force a sync). After that, log out of the account, close the client. Reopen it, log back in. In most cases this is enough to fix the problem.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

We are other users here, and we can only tell you that when you have a ticket number, you have a valid ticket, and that support is currently busy, with several days between receiving a ticket and the first contact by a support clerk.

To check about the different notes count, the usual procedure is to make sure all devices are synced (must be online, on mobile there is an option to force a sync). After that, log out of the account, close the client. Reopen it, log back in. In most cases this is enough to fix the problem.

I had received a support response to my ticket with the standard advice for fixing the problem - all of which I have done and tried while the problem persists.  I told support this in my ticket, but they still gave me the standard reply.  No help there.  As to your points -  all devices are synced.  All devices are online.  I have logged in and out of the web client several times, even uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop app as well.  The problem persists.  I don't want to log out of my phone since it is the only instance that still shows all 12,480 notes, whereas the web and the desktop app only shows 11, 890 or 11, 910 notes respectively.  Nothing has changed.  Still missing 590 notes and over 6 weeks of data since Sept. 9th.  

30 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Please take a look at this thread, and the Evernote blog post linked there. Possibly Evernote's complete transformation of how the Web client synced caused these problems while the transition was happening.

Thanks Dave-in-Decatur for the insight.  That could be the case.  My problem just started happening Tuesday this week (Oct. 31st.)  Up until that day, everything was syncing just fine across all devices. Now, there seems to be a mismatch across all my devices and platforms.  I'm hoping that something is going on server-side that will explain all this.

• Like 1

This is not at all inducing confidence.

How can the web client version have anything to do with the user data it accesses??? Do EN have separate databases for different clients and are these dbs out of sync? That would be the only plausible explanation in my view.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Do EN have separate databases for different clients and are these dbs out of sync?

That's my finding also - I've some notes that have been updated correctly in Legacy (synced between different Legacy maschines) but show older note content in EN10 - in parallel to correct (updated) history records. Seems like client groups are bound to different server farms, the farms are not in sync all time, and history is servered anywhere else (and is correct and up to date like the Legacy servers 😉).

Just to add to the fun…I imported all my notes into Notion via their built in connector. Notion now matches my Evernote iPhone app; so all notes are in Evernote. So, ironically, Notion now matches my Evernote iPhone app but Evernote iPhone app doesn’t match Evernote iOS and Web client! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

Seems like client groups are bound to different server farms, the farms are not in sync all time, and history is servered anywhere else (and is correct and up to date like the Legacy servers 😉).

If this is the case it should be easy to keep Legacy going until V10 is somewhat stable and severe issues like this no longer happen.

In this case it would probably be easier for BS if people commit to one tier, Legacy or V10.

Of course no piece of software is without flaws but at least the basics must work reliably.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Feitz said:

If this is the case it should be easy to keep Legacy going until V10 is somewhat stable and severe issues like this no longer happen.

Keeping Legacy going is a problem surrounded by a lot of drawbacks.  Browsers update pretty much daily, so the old 32-bit code is going to stop loading at some point.  Operating systems change less often,  but one MacOS change already stopped PDFs from displaying correctly.  An Elektron update dropped older versions of Windows.  And that's even before we know anything about what lengths Evernote is going to for compatibility purposes.  Use Legacy all you want,  but 'keeping it going' seems like it's measured in months rather than years.

Plus - Evernote is changing the way it syncs,  and sooner or later Legacy notes won't register on the server - which could be why it's regarded as 'unstable' by users who insist on keeping Legacy alive.  I'm using v10 almost exclusively now (except I have some old Android stuff I still use occasionally) and <touch wood> I've had no bad experiences that I'm aware of.

I'm managing 63,000 notes across Win 10 and 11 devices plus a (very dodgy) Android 10.57.2 that I try to avoid as much as possible.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I'm using v10 almost exclusively now (except I have some old Android stuff I still use occasionally) and <touch wood> I've had no bad experiences that I'm aware of.

Hm, problem is, we have issues but don't know how many users are affected, forums are kind of a bubble.

So what we're discussing might as well concern thousands outside the forum or only us few.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Feitz said:

So what we're discussing might as well concern thousands outside the forum or only us few.

I am having similar issues. Not with the web client this conversation originally started on, but with the iOS version.

I have massive iOS sync problems since Friday, November 3, 2023 and an update to iOS version 10.58.0. I had already described this in the General thread and also submitted a support request (although I do not expect to ever get any feedback on this). 

Synchronization under iOS no longer works at all. Both new notes created in an iOS app and changes are not synchronized on any other iOS device. Notes created via Evernote Mail are not displayed in the iOS app. Only the web and windows client synchronize properly and show an identical number of notes.

I have a ticket number 3776826 about this issue as well. This morning the web client using Chrome still exhibited the problem. So I tried the web client in Microsoft Edge. When the application first loaded it was missing notes. However after about 1 minute the missing notes just popped in.

Maybe something to do with Chrome?

No matter where the problem lies it needs to get fixed ASAP. 

1 hour ago, thirtythreesixty said:

got an email from Evernote saying the synch issue was recognized and fixed. I just downloaded 10.58.3 and it’s back synching properly 

Unfortunately, still not working for me (same account for all 4 listed below, no trash in any, :

iOS (synced multiple times today) = 12,483 notes

Microsoft EDGE browser = 11, 919 notes

Chrome = 11, 919 notes

Windows Desktop APP (10.65.3) = 11, 919 notes

This to me is weird and makes no sense.  Still waiting for Evernote to address this issue.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Any notes shared to you ?

Really good question - but no.  I'm the one usually doing the sharing, and there's only a couple of dozen.  I keep wondering what happened on Sept. 9th, either on my phone, or on the server side.  That's when all notes taken between Sept. 9 and Oct. 31 disappear from the server, but not my phone.  Since Nov. 1, when I discovered the problem, any new notes I create, whether on the web, or on the app, sync fine.  It's just that window of time, and those 589 notes that won't sync to the server now.  I can't understand why today's notes, created on my phone, sync fine with the web and the desktop app.  But nothing between those dates.  Still scratching my head on this.  But thanks for the good suggestion.

26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As a test: If you open one of these notes on the phone, and modify it (like adding a space or a new line), and now sync it - does it appear on the other devices ?

Problem solved! And I think I have stumbled onto something.  In answer to your suggestion  PinkElephant, I had been trying to do just that - add some text to one of the notes on my phone that wasn't syncing to the web - and watching what happened.  I could force that note to sync by doing that, but my problem was - how do I identify the missing 589 notes from the 11,890 total so that I can force them to sync?

And then I noticed something.  I keep a weekly journal for my office work, and I was missing my journals between Sept. 9th and Oct. 31.  So when I went back to one of those un-synced notes on my phone and added some text to force it to sync with the web, I noticed that ALL of the missing notes in that notebook synced!  That lead me to compare the note counts in each of my 81 notebooks on my phone to those on the web, and on my computer.  When I clicked on each notebook to verify the note count, it seemed to force a sync for each NOTEBOOK, so that by the time I was finished clicking on all 81 notebooks, my total note count had grown from the 11,890 to 12,483 - matching my phone perfectly!

So I opened my desktop app to see if I could replicate the same thing.  Sure enough, before I started, my total note count was 11,890.  After clicking on each NOTEBOOK, one at a time, when I was done - my note count was also 12,483.  

Not sure why this happened, but I'm glad to have everything synced again.  I hope this helps those of you who are also struggling with this issue.  Trying clicking on each NOTEBOOK, one at a time, allowing it to sync up.  Then check your total note count at the end.  Hopefully, this works for everyone. 

Thank you to all of you (PinkElephant, Gazumped, Dave in Decatur) who took the time to try to help me out on this issue.  I really appreciate the time you took to help a stranger.  Much appreciated.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having a difficult time with Evernote! My note which contains the data from January till the day has vanished. The entire content from my note has been gone! I'm trying to reach out to Evernote Help via Twitter or Email but I am not receiving any response. How can I get my note back? 

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Nisarg said:

The entire content from my note has been gone!

If the note itself has gone,  try the Trash notebook on every device you have connected to see whether it is there,  and do a general search for the content to see if it has been accidentally moved to another notebook.  If the note remains,  but the content has gone,  try Note History to see whether it has been overwritten.

What to do if content is missing from a note

Use note history to view older versions of a note

What to do if notes are missing