Task in Windows app - continuos green "wheel" spinning and no tasks visible

Claudiofpiga

Idea

Hi  

is anybody  experiencing  a problem with the task  feature ( Windows app)  ?  I have already issued a ticket to Support and the answer is  "no answer"  .

I have  uninstall  EN ,m  delete all folders reltaed to Evernote,  reinstall ;  still nothing , can't see the tasks ,

EN support is frustrating ,  so far all answers I needed whgere found in this forum....

image.thumb.png.d155e792a549e2b39309dc5d0fdadd0f.png

19 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  What device, OS and Evernote version do you have?  Also: for a 'clean' reinstall of Evernote you really need to uninstall initially with Revo Uninstaller Free (Windows) or Appcleaner (Mac) to ensure that all working files are detected and removed.

• Evernote Expert

Yes, standard Windows uninstall. Then using your File Explorer delete %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote

Before you do that be sure that you reset your data directory to the default of you have previously chosen to move it to an alternative location .

Of course on a corporate laptop you may find that this is locked down too.

Windows EN 10.64.5.x and Web version both do not show tasks (spinning circle).  Windows EN v10.47.x was the last one where Tasks work.  Only iOS displays the Tasks.  Very frustrating.  I've installed EN on multiple new PCs with same issues. 

Have a ticket with EN for 3 months now.  No answer back.  Premium subscriber.  Very disappointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, elduko said:

Windows EN 10.64.5.x and Web version both do not show tasks (spinning circle).  Windows EN v10.47.x was the last one where Tasks work.  Only iOS displays the Tasks.  Very frustrating.  I've installed EN on multiple new PCs with same issues. 

Have a ticket with EN for 3 months now.  No answer back.  Premium subscriber.  Very disappointed.

The current version is 10.66.  Maybe update and try again?

Thanks for the help 

I gave up ; cancelled my subscription and already migrated to upnote ( very fast and reliable).

lost tasks feature now on todoist ,a dedicated task manager ; tasks within EN was geeat , when worked ….. Seems to me ( at least for me) Evernote still has not defined what they want to offer to users. It’s been a nice ride ( 12 years) 

• Level 5

It is a general misunderstanding that EN Tasks were build to replace task managers. That may be a side effect.

The main intention behind Tasks was to make notes actionable. And this they do.

Rare to notice after 12 years the app may not know what it wants to offer (it does know, but many users don’t know their own use case), good you found a solution for yourself.

I fully agree with you about the nature of tasks,  comparing todoist to tasks is like comparing a pocketpc   with an Ipad , but  the minimum for tasks is that they work (at least for me, it was the 3rd time it happened, beside other bugs ) .

I’d have  loved  to stay with EN, but since the purchase , too many delays in customer service, $increased to the the sky , etc etc.

it’s sad, at least for me .my former productivity system was 100% EN and now it’s a mix ,  but it works perfectly

• Level 5*

I don’t think there is any misunderstanding.  Evernote named the new feature tasks so people are expecting a task manager.  The way Evernote is structured a task is part of a note and therefore can make the note actionable but it has its own subject line and can stand alone if desired.  Most of my tasks sit in the default note and have no relationship to the note other than that is where it sits.  It works quite well as a minimalist task manager and with a few additions it could compete better in that space if Evernote has the inclination.

• Level 5

A Task in EN is never stand alone - it always needs a host note.

If in your case the host note is the default (dummy) task note, it just shows that you don't use the Tasks feature to it's optimum.

That's perfectly OK if you have no other uses for Tasks - but it's not what Tasks were build for. Many users draw more potential from using them as designed, than by just stuffing a ton of tasks into a single, otherwise meaningless note.

image.thumb.png.daab33d77927214a6d7381b122726e03.png

• Level 5*

Tasks can be complicated or simple.  A weekly recurring task to take out the trash does not need its own unique note.  It can reside just fine in the default note.  No other detail is needed.  A task to buy a car, for example, greatly benefits by having a unique note where you can include any information you want about the purchase.  That is where Evernote’s implementation of tasks shine.

Evernote has implemented a task manager.  It is uniquely structured from a traditional one.  Instead of adding notes to a task you are adding tasks to a note, but it is still a task manager and if Evernote adds additional features it could compete pretty well with many stand alone ones.

Speaking just for myself, and as a way to encourage others to try Evernote tasks, Evernote Tasks does all that I myself need in a task manager.  I cancelled Todoist some time ago, saving some money.  For me, actually, Evernote Tasis is more powerful than Todoist given the ability to insert tasks into notes -- for instance meeting notes, where I can identify tasks for myself on the fly, and then view those tasks from the home screen.  And if I use the three column view for the Task Widgget on the home screen, I can immediately see which note the task is part of, open the note, and get all of the context for the task that I captured when I made the task.  Very powerful for me!  (Although I certainly recognize that Todoist and utilities like it may be a better fit for others,)

Vinnie

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

ToC notes?

That could work, but I think would require each subtask to be in a separate note.  My preference would be, in general, to keep all of the subtasks in the same note so that all of the reference material is in the same note.  I would be happy if we could just indent tasks like bullets.

For those who have the spinning green circle, mine went away and tasks started working after update 70.2.  I can not say that was what fixed it (I deleted all the tasks I could find with search and recently found 'create a new task' placeholders that I also deleted in the last days, so that might also be the fix.  In any case, Evernote did not respond to my support request that 70.2 might be a cure, so I do not think they ever really looked into this problem (I had it for 5 months)