Is Evernote a good choice ?

Our little team uses Evernote since 4 years.

We were recently forced to migrate from Evernote Legacy (V6 that was working fine) to V10.

Doing so, about 20% of our notes lost their attached files....

So i try to restore from backup,  but Evernote Quota do not let me upload my backup. (errorCode=QUOTA_REACHED parameter="Accounting.uploadLimit")

I created a ticket 2 days ago, begging for help and an increase in quota so i can restore my files.   But Evernote support do not answer.

As a professional, i need to access my documents, and I now feel prisoner,  my documents being kidnapped.   

image.png

Your Evernote database is stored online so as long as everything has synced from legacy it should be available on any of the other apps.

Try logging into the web version and seeing if all your files are there. Web directly uses the online database.

Version 10 can take a little while to download data first time so attachments may not show for a few hours and even days for huge databases.

One quick point they are in the middle of some scheduled maintenance right now so give it a couple of hours.

Thank you Jon/t for you answer:

Database online contain documents where attached file have disapeared.

Timeline:

V6 => everything working fine.

Upgrade to V10 => 20% of documents lose their attachment.

Sync => 20% of documents online now also have lost attachments.

Uninstall V10 

Install V6 + Import backup + Sync   =>    Document are NOW OK (attachment restored) ,    but i can not sync to Evernote server , as my upload quota is reached...

Migrating V6 to V10 just lose some documents.  This is a fact.

Biggest problem is Evernote support just do not answer, and i am scared to receive a generic support templates in a few days.

2 hours ago, evernote_lost_my_day said:

Migrating V6 to V10 just lose some documents.  This is a fact.

@Federico SimionatoThat's why I keep reiterating: V10 can't be trusted for the time being. Leave Legacy users alone until V10 is out of early beta. Then we can taak about upgrading again.

• Level 5

There is a dark twin to a beta: It’s deprecated software. The one is the future, getting better every day. 

The other is an echo from the past. It is based on obsolete technology, and the technical debt operating it is growing every day: More and more building blocks are removed from libraries, dependencies are dying, databases are replaced. Operating cost raise, maintenance gets out of hand, no new features.

No, I don’t talk about legacy today. I talk about legacy 5 years ago. Today it is way beyond this, plain unsupportable. All EN users suffer from server side complexity and hiccups because a few expect their little pet project to be kept alive. 

EN management shouldn’t wait to cut legacy off the server ASAP. Everyone on legacy had 3 years to make the move. There have been nudging now for months.

Who still remains will never make it voluntarily. Your post is just proof for this position.

P.S. On v10 since 10.0. Some issues, but usable and today far better than legacy ever was. I skipped my last legacy client install more than a year from today. I didn’t use it any more.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

because a few expect their little pet project to be kept alive

I doubt this is just me and a handful of other guys.

Maybe you missed the point here: TO did exactly what you keep suggesting and made the switch. Lost 1/5 of his attachments in the process, they simply disappeared from the server. If you store anything other than cat videos in Evernote you should be concerned.

In the IT I work in data integrity is paramount and I wonder how IT professionals like you can simply ignore these issues and even start blaming Legacy users for the difficulties EN is encountering.

• Level 5

Nobody knows what may have happened at this specific user. When I installed v10 first, I had significant differences in the number of notes between legacy, web (server) and v10. Must be the new software ... no, it wasn't. It was an accumulated data corruption of the local legacy database. There are tools to correct them, and using them one by one the difference came down to 1 note (couldn't solve that one). It was the legacy client with his hyped local database that caused the differences. My experience, 3 years back.

There is BTW no "switch", and there is no "migration". Both clients use the same server database.

The only difference may be (but I can't know since I only watch from the outside) that since RTE was introduced this May, there must be 2 different data structures on the server, one serving legacy clients syncing full notes, one v10 with RTE. But there is no "legacy only" data structure, you can at any time without "migrating" install a v10 client, log in, and your notes are there. It's because they have ever been there.

The problem is elsewhere: Since RTE, the new, active structure needs to be converted backwards to support legacy structures. Worst thing a user can do is mix both, like legacy on a desktop, and a modern mobile client. Ding - dong - ding - dong - ... everybody with a faint understanding of IT knows that this creates a high workload of conversions, and can cause problems.

Missing attachments are usually only a sign that the initial download is ongoing. They show up once this is trough (again, my experience). Often in a new note with "Unknown" attachments, it's enough to briefly switch to another note, and come back. Which looks like a bug, but hardly a bad one.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Missing attachments are usually only a sign that the initial download is ongoing.

Web client does not need sync:

4 hours ago, evernote_lost_my_day said:

Database online contain documents where attached file have disapeared.

• Level 5
57 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Web client does not need sync:

Wrong - if you upload anything to a note open in web, it is stored in a local browser cache, and then synced with the server. Usually this will happen very fast.

But do you think when you attach a 100MB file to a note on a punny upload, it happens by telepathy ? There is a sync, but it’s not between a local clients database and the server. It’s from browser to web server.

The reverse happens when you refresh the browser view while you are logged into the web client. Then it draws fresh content from the server.

• Level 5*

The OP is definitely having an issue,  and has posted in three threads so far.  On the face of it,  upgrading from Legacy Teams to v10 Teams should not be difficult.  But the app has an unknown number of users and (allegedly) 200GB+ of content - or at least (in one or another of these threads) says he exceeded the monthly upload limit by 'restoring backups'.  I don't know whether the server actually needed correcting and whether the lack of attachments was real or - as already mentioned here - simply the new database getting itself in order on a PC somewhere.

Any suggestions from the Forums may just mess up this database even further,  so I'd encourage everyone to refrain from more comment until Support can get involved.

Any discussion here about these unknown circumstances demonstrating some inherent fault is pure speculation and totally off topic and I think it should STOP please...

• Like 3
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a sync, but it’s not between a local clients database and the server. It’s from browser to web server.

PO tried to access his notes using a web client and his attachments were partly gone. Not a sync issue, assuming his Legacy clients had all synced before the upgrade to V10. What is already stored on the servers should not simply disappear.

I can not upload my backup since 7 days now.

Blocked by the 20Go upload limit being reach.

My user can not access all their notes.

After 3 days, Evernote Support told me they would add 20Go upload limit , but nothing happens. (syncing still returns a   errorCode=QUOTA_REACHED parameter="Accounting.uploadLimit")  

I cry everyday so support do somethings, sent screenshots, details logs.... 

I am prisoner of evernote.

Hello,

I think it's nice when new versions appear and can be used.

I just think it's a shame that versions are made available that are worse in scope than the previous version and are just overloaded with errors.

So it's understandable that you want to continue working with the old version and those who are raving about version 10 here are probably from Evernote... - anything else is unimaginable

You are right @agsteele, thank you for your suggestion and taking time to answer.

However, evernote promising a " productivity happy place"  and delivering  "Hell if you need help"  is a big additional problem.

As a SAS dev myself, not answering my client in needs would be a problem.  Evernote is OK with not answerng client in bad need.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, evernote_lost_my_day said:

Evernote is OK with not answerng client in bad need.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

You're not quoting a ticket number that I can see - what email address are your messages going to?

Maybe they're not hearing you?

• Level 5*

<sigh> My bad - Maybe Evernote are as confused as I am since we have two simultaneous threads going on this topic...

This one:  https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148276-is-evernote-a-good-choice/

And also: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148247-quota_reached-parameteraccountinguploadlimit

Where you have shown a ticket #3765282

Summarising so far:  Your 'team' were using Evernote Legacy,  then updated to v10 and apparently lost access to all data.  You're currently trying to upload a 20GB backup to another (?) account and are encountering errors.  From the comments so far it appears you were using one or more v6.25 individual accounts.  Were you all logging into one account?  Or was there one account for each team member with notebooks shared between them?

Please explain as simply and as completely as possible what your original setup involved,  and whether one or more accounts were subscription accounts.  And please explain again what account it is that you are trying to upload to,  and where this huge backup file came from.  And when you say "upload" do you mean "import"?

I'll flag this whole mess again for the forum admin team to see whether they can help,  but please stop complaining here,  and co-operate with Evernote;  that's the only way you'll get access to your data back.  It's not 'lost',  and it's probably still stored in one or more accounts online;  but you need to stop taking any action which might further damage your access,  and wait for the company to help.

• Like 1

Hello there,
As a new member in this forum and wish to share and gain some knowledge. I am looking forward to create my own discussion to resolve my query and gain some knowledge though I have taken part in various discussion which is definitely helped me a lot.

• Like 3