Web Clipper Problem - blank notes

Go to solution Solved by FrankC,

Wonder if anyone else is having this problem with the web clipper. 

Tried to do a web clip today - full screen, it appeared to work, but the note is completely blank (not even a "cannot render image" error).
Two other things : (1) The note snippet shows a preview of the image (2) If I generate a shareable link for the note, the link displays the note correctly !
However, the desktop, browser and Android versions of the note are all blank.

Windows 10. Evernote 10.60.4. Web Clipper 7.33.1.558-6df0260

I can create a note and paste in an image from the same web page (using a 3rd party web clipper) which does work.
I have tried restarting Evernote, rebuilding the local copy of the notes, and rebooting with no success.

Any other suggestions before I contact support ?

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

After clipping the note showed briefly like this. After maybe 3-5 seconds it changed, the clip appeared and the syncing info switched to normal.

Tried it again just now, and successfully clipped a new note - as you report.
My original note + subsequent test notes are still blank.

So, will have to put it down to some sort of syncing glitch. What I don't understand is why the shared link worked, while the note in the app stayed blank.
I will wait and see if the blank notes appear correctly and report it, if not.

I also had this issue.  I was able to resolve by (the hack):

1. Export the note, note backlinks and notebook
  2. Delete the note
  3. Import the .ENEX file
  4. Move the note from import folder back to its correct position.  Fix each of the notes that point to it (from the backlink information)

In many cases, there are no backlinks to deal with, so it is not as bad as it looks.

10 minutes ago, FrankC said:

Left it overnight, and the blank notes (from web clips) have now reappeared.

Tested clipping again this morning and all appears to be OK.

Jumped the gun here - still a problem.

I checked the problem notes in the Android app this morning, and they were all OK (the reason appears to be that this was on an old tablet, which can only run Evernote 8.13.3). On my phone using version 10.53.1, they remain blank.

I then tried the desktop app & the browser version, and they are still blank.

• Level 5*
On 8/23/2023 at 10:19 AM, FrankC said:

I then tried the desktop app & the browser version, and they are still blank.

Try duplicating one of the notes you can see on the old tablet to see whether that note (and maybe some others) pop back into existence.

• Solution
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Try duplicating one of the notes you can see on the old tablet to see whether that note (and maybe some others) pop back into existence.

I had tried that originally with no success.

However, some combination of time and "messing around" with various things seems to have resolved it - all notes are now visible.

One thing that may have helped was updating the Android app, clearing cache and viewing the problem notes. Some notes only became viewable on the desktop app when I had already viewed them on Android. However, this may have been a coincidence.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, FrankC said:

I had tried that originally with no success.

However, some combination of time and "messing around" with various things seems to have resolved it - all notes are now visible.

One thing that may have helped was updating the Android app, clearing cache and viewing the problem notes. Some notes only became viewable on the desktop app when I had already viewed them on Android. However, this may have been a coincidence.

Interestingly, a similar-seeming problem that resolved in a similar-seeming way, in the same time frame, is in this thread:

23 hours ago, agsteele said:

I'm curious... What's the 1-hour server problem?

As described in the quoted thread in Dave-in-Decatur's post - the one before my last one ("Many notes are blank.....")