Any limit to size of Trash?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I have never emptied my Evernote "Trash" items.  Is there any downside to this approach (e.g., slowing down Evernote, etc.)?  If not, I'd just as soon keep them in the Trash in case I ever need to use an item there.  Thanks for your guidance.

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  Depends on how much is in there I guess - a very large trash would slow down syncs,  take up local storage space and just be a drag on performance;  but unless you notice any of the above it's not going to be an issue...

Also, for what it's worth, I have been working with support on a glitch I have been experiencing over the past few days.  One of the actions support suggested to me was to delete any notes from trash that I no longer need.  Apparently, something about trash can sometimes cause a problem -whether it's a specific note or the overall size of the trash folder, I couldn't say.   (BTW, eventually I got tired of looking at each note in trash and deciding whether I would ever need it again -- I just said, "the heck with it," crossed my fingers, hit the "empty trash" button, and went on with life.  Hopefully that won't come back to bite me!)

Vinnie

• Like 3
1 hour ago, VincentC said:

Also, for what it's worth, I have been working with support on a glitch I have been experiencing over the past few days.  One of the actions support suggested to me was to delete any notes from trash that I no longer need.  Apparently, something about trash can sometimes cause a problem -whether it's a specific note or the overall size of the trash folder, I couldn't say.

Thanks for the tip and nudge to look at my trash folder. Found over 600 deleted notes dating back almost a decade that I can clean up. I've always found it a bit surprising that trashed items older than a certain period of time don't automatically delete...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Thanks for the tip and nudge to look at my trash folder. Found over 600 deleted notes dating back almost a decade that I can clean up. I've always found it a bit surprising that trashed items older than a certain period of time don't automatically delete...

Good point. I can absolutely guarantee you, though, that if Evernote implemented a periodic trash purge, even if it was opt-in and users got to choose the period, we would see howls here to the effect "That note I archived 6 years ago by stashing it the trash is gone forever! Curse you, Evernote!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Good point. I can absolutely guarantee you, though, that if Evernote implemented a periodic trash purge, even if it was opt-in and users got to choose the period, we would see howls here to the effect "That note I archived 6 years ago by stashing it the trash is gone forever! Curse you, Evernote!"

True, but it would be nice to have an optional 30-day version of that.  I implemented on by periodically posting a note titled "Note deleted <date> *****************************" and then deleting it.  Then when putting trash in order of deletion date, I can delete that note and any before it and know that they were at least that old.

• Like 1